Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

That's exactly the way he'll say it while tapping his pen off the desk. His tone will be as if he wished the burden of righting the world didn't always fall to him alone.

The whole thing will be finished off with "aah I dunno" while shaking his head at us fools for not being at his level of supreme enlightenment.

So. How does it feel to be wrong;)

Not too bad, thanks for your concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I made a point of listening in this morning. He thinks he's down with the kids for indulging in a childish rant against a largely irrelevant organisation 'condemning' the Catholic Church but it seems clear that the entire episode was a source of great stress.
    If you're going to slag off the church, Ray, try not to be such a wibbly wobbly wonder about it three days later. Man, I hope the atheists aren't depending on Ray to lead them into a brave new secular world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

amiable wrote: »
    Were you listening or did you just hear what you wanted to hear?
    He didn't attack the whole Catholic Church.
    He was at pains to clarify it was the hierarchy he was aiming it at.

I was listening to him on Friday and today. As I said in my post, his initial comments DID include the entire church he said that "the catholic church had, in many ways, ****ed up this country". In this attack there was absolutely no attempt to differentiatie between hierarchy or anyone else.

I don't want to get involved in a debate about the Catholic Church it does seem you clearly see no wrong in them.

You'll see that in my posts in this forum I made no attempt whatsoever to discuss the rights/wrongs, success/failures, good/bad of the catholic chuch - it is you that is raising it. More fundamentally than that, I was critical of how biased Ray D'arcy appeared to be in using an event/debate (what that TD said) that was quite tangential to the catholic church to launch into his bile. Effectively blaming me and everyone else in the church for this woman's ramblings. That is unprofessional and that is what I criticised him for.

zuroph wrote: »
    You say "anti catholic bias" like its a bad thing.

Bias is always a bad thing - it fogs the mind. It's a pity you seem to revel in the ignorance of it.

The sooner the church acknowledges that a lot of people are very very angry with them the better.

They have.
    Patience is wearing thin at this stage, and having the cheek to ask for am apology

I personal think it was a mistake to ask for an apology as it acknowledges and, to a certain extent, legitamised his ramblings.
    at a time while we're all waiting for them to apologise for much worse smacks of .

I assume you're talking about child abuse and its cover up. If so you'll find (a simple google will suffice) that various members of the church, including popes have apologised again and again and again.

But then, if you're not listening - you won't hear. These things are often reported in newspapers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I don't particularly like Ray but fair play to him for speaking up.

The church kept this country held back for so long because that's its modus operandi. Move into a developing country, get involved in the running of the education system so they can keep the natives ignorant and fearful, then comes the profit. They are currently doing the same thing in African nations and in parts of Asia.

I would like to think that Ireland is moving away from the childish garbage that the church peddles but when things like this happen a bunch of mentally ill "special interest groups" spring out of the woodwork to get the boots in.

The fact that people are critising Ray for speaking out against an international pedophile cult that systematically covered up both physical and mental abuse with the aim of staying in a position of power to suck money out of this country is sickening. The church should have been run out of Ireland decades ago. If any other multinational business (that's what religion is anyway) was involved in the same activities they wouldn't be here still.

• Advertisement

The brits jews blacks protestants capitalists church should have been run out of Ireland decades ago.

The chuch is me, some of my family, my local school, some of my neighbours, Ray's mam...........you made the same mistake Ray did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The chuch is me, some of my family, my local school, some of my neighbours, Ray's mam...........you made the same mistake Ray did.

The church is a cult that exists solely to gain money and power through means of indoctrination of you, some of your family, your local school and some of your neighbors.

They don't "do good", they do whatever puts them in a position to make more money or puts them in control of an aspect of how society at large operates. Any positive side effects of that are merely consequential.

You've already drank the Kool-Aid so arguing with you is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

http://bocktherobber.com/2012/04/ray-darcy-and-the-catholic-communications-office/

The Catholic Communications Office has threatened to report presenter Ray D'Arcy to the Broadcasting Authority for what it calls a grossly offensive statement. It also demanded a public apology from him and his employers, Today FM.

What was this statement?

It was this: The Catholic Church, in many ways, has ****ed up this country.

In other words, the Catholic Communications Office is outraged that a man has spoken the truth in public, The Catholic Church has ****ed up this country. It seems their main objection is to the word ****ed, which is a bit rich for an organisation that sheltered and protected child rapists for generations, that stuck its nose into every piece of social legislation proposed in our supposedly independent parliament, that dictated what health care might or might not be offered, that clung with the grip of a drowning man to control of our schools, that refused dying mothers the relief of anaesthesia, that sacked teachers for living in unapproved relationships.

All this they were comfortable with, but not the fact of a broadcaster saying they ****ed up the country.

D'Arcy has quite properly told them where to shove their demands. It's been a while now since a red-faced bishop waving a crozier was enough to silence dissent but obviously the penny hasn't yet dropped with these characters. Far from demanding apologies for mild insults, should they not be down on their knees pleading for forgiveness from their victims?

It seems these Princes of the Church are incapable of learning humility despite everything they preach. I hope D'Arcy's reply to them consisted of two short words.

The church is a cult that exists solely to gain money and power through means of indoctrination of you, some of your family, your local school and some of your neighbors.

No its not.
    They don't "do good"

Yes "they" do.
    they do whatever puts them in a position to make more money or puts them in control of an aspect of how society at large operates. Any positive side effects of that are merely consequential.

No they're not. They are a direct result of the mandate of the founder of the church to love your neighbour. That we have failed miserably to live up to that mandate for years doesn't mean good isn't done.
    You've already drank the Kool-Aid so arguing with you is pointless.

No it's not. We're the same you and me....we both have back stories or influences that inform our opinions. I'm happy to admit mine and am open to debate and change. But if you don't want to, fine, you're snazzy kool-aid slogan might suffice.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the biggest mistake the catholic church are continuing to make is the pretence that you have to be part of a large organised order to be a good Christian.

I, personally, keep both completely separate as i see my faith being driven by my wish to be a good christian.. and not a good 'catholic'. Good catholics are supposed to accept the popes indoctrinations without question... are expected to despise homosexuality as evil.... are expected to shun contraception... are expected to have sex only to procreate. I have issues with these ideological stances from the catholic church. I also have issue with the biased influence the 'church' has on Irish society, in cultural, political, education, and health sectors.

I am glad ray did not retract his statement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

He may have tarred the whole church with one brush saying they f**ked up the country. But all the bad stuff was in the name of the Catholic Church, the institution, so yeah, the institution of the Catholic church f**ked up this country, not all Catholics.
    They are a greedy corporate business. Not sure if you have been to the Vatican, but it's dripping in money. If Jesus was supposed to be a simple dude, why not have a simple shrine to him?
    What about when they used to read out how much local people donated to the church at mass? How f**ked up is that.
    D'Arcy is right and should tell em where to stick it.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So you hold mass in each other houses then, ordain your selves, interpret the scriptures your self, pay for the wine, wafers, religious paraphernalia, school religious activities, the up keep of large houses for single priests, the up keep of the churches, ran the laundries, industrial schools etc etc etc your selves?
    Are you going to pay the compensation bills as well?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Alright folks, enough of this. This is not the place to be discussing whether or not you agree with the other persons views on religion, I'd advise dropping it and getting back on topic please.

ta

Ray was unprofessional.

But being unprofessional doesn't matter if you're having a go at the church.

It's the RTE Primetime Investigates school of broadcasting.

Ray was unprofessional.

He was unprofessional for using the F word but not for voicing a valid opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Ray was unprofessional.

Undeniably. Using the "F" word on a radio programme of that kind in an essentially conservative country like Ireland was a lapse of judgement. But I'd rate it at about 0.1 on an "unprofessionalism scale" of 1-10. If that's his only lapse into unprofessionalism in his whole career, he's still doing all right. Anyone can make an unfortunate choice of words in an unscripted programme. He could just as well have said something like "the Catholic Church is an abominable organisation that has committed unspeakable crimes against children in this country and seems to remain unrepentant." Would he still have been criticised for that, or is it just the "F" word that got the church's back up?:)

Anyway, Ray stumbled only once, but the church keeps telling us - not least when further crimes on the part of its personnel come to light - that Jesus fell three times. Sauce, goose, gander!:D:D:D

Being unprofessional always matters, especially when one is criticising a church that roundly deserves criticism, because it provides the object of criticism with a ground to divert attention from the criticism and play martyr rather than having to deal with the substantive issues.:rolleyes:

That's a lot to extrapolate from one remark - an essentially correct and justified one - by one broadcaster in the course of one interview.:cool:

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Undeniably. Using the "F" word on a radio programme of that kind in an essentially conservative country like Ireland was a lapse of judgement. But I'd rate it at about 0.1 on an "unprofessionalism scale" of 1-10. If that's his only lapse into unprofessionalism in his whole career, he's still doing all right. Anyone can make an unfortunate choice of words in an unscripted programme. He could just as well have said something like "the Catholic Church is an abominable organisation that has committed unspeakable crimes against children in this country and seems to remain unrepentant." Would he still have been criticised for that, or is it just the "F" word that got the church's back up?:)

As I've hopefully gotten across in some of my other posts, the f-word is largely a side-issue to me. It is unprofessional though - and seemed to be used with forethought in an effort to ratchet up the abuse.

My main points of criticism were
    1)the condemnation of the whole catholic church for ****ing up the country - a charge that I would disagree with (and Ray offered no evidence for in his brief rant)

2) how a professional broadcaster leaped within 2 seconds from an issue that was, at the very most, tangential to the RCC (i.e. that TDs speech) to blurting out that "the catholic church.......etc". I think that was unprofessional. If someone came on the "just a minute quiz" and said they were at a wedding in a church recently would he launch into another rant?

This is a forum about the Ray D'Arcy show - not religion - and I think he was unprofessional for the 2 reasons (+ the swearing) above.
    Being unprofessional always matters, especially when one is criticising a church that roundly deserves criticism, because it provides the object of criticism with a ground to divert attention from the criticism and play martyr rather than having to deal with the substantive issues.:rolleyes:

I agree 100% with you there. Whoever's the object of your criticism you shouldn't leave any wriggle room. That's why he should have tackled that TD and what she said head-on, not go off on an ego-filled rant about the RCC.

That's a lot to extrapolate from one remark - an essentially correct and justified one - by one broadcaster in the course of one interview.:cool:

It only took one "mistake" to falsly accuse a man of rape too. If you are luckly enough to have Mon-Fri 3 hour access to the public airwaves, you need to be professional all the time - or, at least admit when you're not.

Ray clarified that he didn't aim it at the whole Catholic Church so continue with berating him over that is pointless.
    He aimed at the hierarchy which was pointed out to you earlier.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

He was unprofessional for using the F word but not for voicing a valid opinion

I think this is what divides folk on Ray Darcy. I like the fact that he isnt a polished, ORE- TEE -EEE accented, eloquent presenter. He is 'a buck from Kildare' who regularly screws up, gets emotional, gets flapped interviewing celebs and speaks before engaging the brain a lot. He's a bit of a rough diamond and uncomfortable with his own level of celebrity and thats what i like about him and what many dislike about him.
    Plus he is a very very down to earth nice guy having met him a couple of times.

I think this is what divides folk on Ray Darcy. I like the fact that he isnt a polished, ORE- TEE -EEE accented, eloquent presenter. He is 'a buck from Kildare' who regularly screws up, gets emotional, gets flapped interviewing celebs and speaks before engaging the brain a lot. He's a bit of a rough diamond and uncomfortable with his own level of celebrity and thats what i like about him and what many dislike about him.
    Plus he is a very very down to earth nice guy having met him a couple of times.

Just to clear up my post, he was unprofessional IMO to swear but it doesn't bother me.
    I agree with your above post and because of the way he is I actually believe that when he does swear it sounds put on.
    I don't think he does it just for shock value. :)

• Advertisement

He's ..... uncomfortable with his own level of celebrity .

I don't think this is Ray's problem.

I think he finds it very difficult, in general, to deal with anyone holding a different view to him. Bad news for a broadcaster who deals regularly with current affairs.

Perhaps the problem is the format of his show - all fun and games until you trip over one of his pet subjects....then he just can't help himself.

I don't think this is Ray's problem.

I think he finds it very difficult, in general, to deal with anyone holding a different view to him. Bad news for a broadcaster who deals regularly with current affairs.

Perhaps the problem is the format of his show - all fun and games until you trip over one of his pet subjects....then he just can't help himself.

Or maybe he just feels strongly about the subject. We speculate all you like and you can trivialise it but maybe he has a genuine reason to have this gripe he has.
    He's not my favourite person in the world but he is only human and maybe what happened last week had built up in him.
    I stick to my original point I made on this subject that it's rich that the Catholic Church make these demands when they had to be dragged kicking and screaming to simply acknowledge their wrong doings in this country.

Thanks Amiable.

He may well have very genuine reasons for feeling the way he does about the RCC. He may have personal reasons or they may be his personal take on the wide, wide variety of failures by the RCC in this country.

But imho he is doing these views poor service by ranting and coming across as unreasonable by uttering broad, sweeping statements given half the chance.

This is regardless of whether I think these views are right or wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm still waiting for Ray to leave the country :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

So you hold mass in each other houses then, ordain your selves, interpret the scriptures your self, pay for the wine, wafers, religious paraphernalia, school religious activities, the up keep of large houses for single priests, the up keep of the churches, ran the laundries, industrial schools etc etc etc your selves?
    Are you going to pay the compensation bills as well?

I lol'd very funny :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

I'm not a believer in God so therefore have no love for the Catholic Church and I would agree that they have damaged this country massively etc.
    However I don' like Ray D'Arcy.He's insincere and I don't buy the 'I'm just an ordinary country lad' schtick either.
    However if you're going to pass comment on institutions that have ****ed up the country then surely along with the Catholic Church you would include Fianna Faíl? I'm not a regular listener so maybe he has said something similar about Fianna Faíl? Has he?
    Ray runs with the hare and hunts with the hound.Doesn't really have much going on intellectually and is proof that being bland is a pre-requisite for success in Irish radio. Look at Ian Dempsey FFS. Why is he so popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

He wouldn't apologise but he back-tracked.
    On Friday, he ranted about the catholic church, this morning he says he meant the hierarchy.

I don't tar every dj with the same brush as Chris Denning and in the same way I won't tar every priest with that of the vast minority that are depraved.

I'm not a practicing catholic, but I can appreciate the good the church has and does do.
    I was born in a well run hospital and was very well educated in schools run by nuns.
    Local priests are of massive assistance to my community.
    Mr. D'Arcy, and his supporters, should get over their bias.

He wouldn't apologise but he back-tracked.
    On Friday, he ranted about the catholic church, this morning he says he meant the hierarchy.

I don't tar every dj with the same brush as Chris Denning and in the same way I won't tar every priest with that of the vast minority that are depraved.

I'm not a practicing catholic, but I can appreciate the good the church has and does do.
    I was born in a well run hospital and was very well educated in schools run by nuns.
    Local priests are of massive assistance to my community.
    Mr. D'Arcy, and his supporters, should get over their bias.

He has clarified what he meant yet you decide you know what was in his head.
    You have to take his clarification at face value so you justifying the good the Catholic Church does is null and void in this instance.
    Likewise his detractors need to get over their bias.

If you took the time to read this thread there are both supporters of Ray and detractors that have differing opinions on this situation.
    You give out about tarring with the one brush but proceed to do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

While I don't know or care much about the church. I do know the facts that were made public in relation to child abuse, and hate the thoughts of some of what people were getting away with.

That said, I couldn't agree or disagree fully with his statement, as I don't know enough about the church.

I must say though, fair fooks to Ray for not apologising. I was sure he would squirm his way out of it as usual. I didn't hear it today, but had a quick listen back and thought he responded remarkably well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Can you really take this fella serious? Didn't he say he would leave the country if Enda Kenny became taoiseach ?:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement