Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I did cringle a little when he talked about himself and Jenny "fornicating in the streets" this morning at 9.30am. Humour or allusion is one thing, spouting off about having sex is a teeny bit sad when it's meant to be family-friendly morning radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Whenever he swears it always comes across as fake. Mostly, when people swear on the radio, it is a spur of the moment thing. But D'Arcy always sounds like he has the line planned out in advance. Definitly going for shock value, but it's not really working. Wonder if he uses anything close to that kind of language around his daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Whenever he swears it always comes across as fake. Mostly, when people swear on the radio, it is a spur of the moment thing. But D'Arcy always sounds like he has the line planned out in advance. Definitly going for shock value, but it's not really working. Wonder if he uses anything close to that kind of language around his daughter?

Don't be silly now, the show is very good imo i don't listen in all the time but Ray i find is very genuine and a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Just came across this on the Indo website
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/church-demands-a-full-apology-for-darcys-fword-accusation-3088278.html

I don't know about Ray using the F word 'in the heat of the moment' - it always sounds gratuitous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

CeannRua wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/church-demands-a-full-apology-for-darcys-fword-accusation-3088278.html

I don't know about Ray using the F word 'in the heat of the moment' - it always sounds gratuitous to me.
    It's a bit rich of the church to be demanding apologies over a word in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

amiable wrote: »
    It's a bit rich of the church to be demanding apologies over a word in my opinion

My reading of it is that they want him to retract the charge that the church messed up the country. The language he used, while strong and obviously related, is nearly a second issue.

My reading of it is that they want him to retract the charge that the church messed up the country. The language he used, while strong and obviously related, is nearly a second issue.

Ok, I'll change what I say. In my opinion it's a bit rich the Catholic Church making demands over a few words spoken after they had to be dragged to apologize for all they have covered up for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

It is gratuitous and self indulgent, not a very big believer in the church myself but I am sick of Rays dismissive attitude to everything he disagrees with.

I also find it cringe worthy how everything has to be about him. He had an olympian in studio the other day and somehow it turned into RAY doing cartwheels or handstands!!!

Had he ever interviewed Steve Jobs we would have been subjected to "eeh Steve if I designed the aah Iphone aah I would have made a clip to attach the eeeh what do ya call the yolk? Oh yeah the aah Iphone to me bike".

Anyone hear him during the week, after years of castigating Iphone users admit to buying one himself??

The show is better when he is on holidays IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Denis O'Brien must be editing the Indo now
    D'Arcy, regarded as Ireland's most successful independent broadcaster, made the comments live on air during a review of the morning newspapers -- a regular segment on his Today FM show which boasts 245,000 listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I find it both sad & petty of people here whining about a word that was used when the real issue is the fact that women's lives are being put at risk by a church that care naught for anyone but themselves & their mythical being.
    That Mayo TD has obviously been shaped by catholic indoctrination & is unable to think for herself & put the people of Ireland, and most probably her constituents before the church. An organisation with no female input whatsoever, that is the real travesty of this situation, not that Darcy expressed it in his own emotive way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

amiable wrote: »

I think it's gas how he plays the big man attacking the Catholic Church now that it's on its knees. Is there no popular cause that he doesn't support? Has anyone ever heard him express a non-populist opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Lelantos wrote: »
    That Mayo TD has obviously been shaped by catholic indoctrination & is unable to think for herself & put the people of Ireland, and most probably her constituents before the church.

Just because her opinion falls in line with that espoused by the church, doesn't mean that it's not her own.
    I don't agree with her, but she's an educated woman who can make up her own mind.

I find D'Arcy to be a prig and I do think he was out of order.
    His arrogance is offensive to me and I look forward to his fall from grace as he can't stay up on his own perch forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Lelantos wrote: »
    That Mayo TD has obviously been shaped by catholic indoctrination & is unable to think for herself & put the people of Ireland, and most probably her constituents before the church.

Just because her opinion falls in line with that espoused by the church, doesn't mean that it's not her own.
    I don't agree with her, but she's an educated woman who can make up her own mind.

I find D'Arcy to be a prig and I do think he was out of order.
    His arrogance is offensive to me and I look forward to his fall from grace as he can't stay up on his own perch forever.
    Her opinion falls in line? That's why its called indoctrination, as for the use of the word fornication? It's an offensive term, not used by right thinking people in this country. As for her opinion, well, she's an elected TD & is supposed to represent the opinions of her constituents, not her own priggish beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

What do you think will be his reply in the morning?

I reckon he will be reading up a bit on the church, and their downfalls, so he can sound like he knows what he was talking about.

He'll then come on in the morning, pretend it never happened, then say "should we mention it?. No. Yes. No. Yes. <many deep breaths>."

"<deep breath> - ah, here look. I said the F word. Big deal ... <rant about church>.

Then proceed to try to squirm out of the whole thing like he always does.

Having said all that, the church have some neck trying to complain about the statement. I had to laugh when they said that this kind of language could be heard by children. Because the church has irish childrens best interests at heart, innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Deedsie wrote: »
    "The Catholic Church has Fúcked this country up"

Nice to hear someone saying it straight. I cant think of another Presenter on Irish radio who would say it?

Good on you Ray!

what does he think of the rc church getting off scot-free with the household

charge?? According to the Irish Mail article (thanks Irishcentral.com for this), bishops

palaces, parochial houses are EXEMPT..

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Catholic-Church-escapes-controversial-new-Irish-household-charge-148429845.html

Feel like emailing his show on this; he get that off his chest on air )).

What do you think will be his reply in the morning?

I reckon he will be reading up a bit on the church, and their downfalls, so he can sound like he knows what he was talking about.

He'll then come on in the morning, pretend it never happened, then say "should we mention it?. No. Yes. No. Yes. <many deep breaths>."

"<deep breath> - ah, here look. I said the F word. Big deal ... <rant about church>.

Then proceed to try to squirm out of the whole thing like he always does.

Having said all that, the church have some neck trying to complain about the statement. I had to laugh when they said that this kind of language could be heard by children. Because the church has irish childrens best interests at heart, innit?
    That's exactly the way he'll say it while tapping his pen off the desk. His tone will be as if he wished the burden of righting the world didn't always fall to him alone.

The whole thing will be finished off with "aah I dunno" while shaking his head at us fools for not being at his level of supreme enlightenment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

He did apologise on Fri for swearing, went on to say how he gets frustrated annoyed etc and he shouldn't have sworn. I don't know, maybe the church wants him to apologise for blaming the downfall on them, rather than apologizing for swearing so he will have to direct it at the church. Personally I think its a mountain out of a molehill, yes he shouldn't have sworn end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

That's exactly the way he'll say it while tapping his pen off the desk. His tone will be as if he wished the burden of righting the world didn't always fall to him alone.

The whole thing will be finished off with "aah I dunno" while shaking his head at us fools for not being at his level of supreme enlightenment.
    That is bizarre. I read your contribution and Elvis's in my head with Ray's voice and it fitted perfectly. The fact that you can script him so accurately at this stage speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

He did apologise on Fri for swearing, went on to say how he gets frustrated annoyed etc and he shouldn't have sworn. I don't know, maybe the church wants him to apologise for blaming the downfall on them, rather than apologizing for swearing so he will have to direct it at the church. Personally I think its a mountain out of a molehill, yes he shouldn't have sworn end of.

Did anybody else have Ray's voice in their head as they read this? Just me?

That is bizarre. I read your contribution and Elvis's in my head with Ray's voice and it fitted perfectly. The fact that you can script him so accurately at this stage speaks volumes.

At this stage if I was offered a pay rise in work or a change of channels I'd opt for the channel change.

Mornings in work are like the death of a thousand cuts .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

I think Ray is cool for cursing on air.

/sarc

Does he think it makes him "down with the kids" or something ??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Read out a couple of emails and texts from people reacting to Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So. How does it feel to be wrong;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Read out a couple of emails and texts from people reacting to Friday.

In fairness he did a lot more than that. He explained his position clearly and read out a few examples of texts and e mails received from both end of the spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I think the Irish Bishops made a mistake by commenting on this at all. It is, after all, just the opinion of a radio DJ, and one who tends towards populist off-the-cuff reactions rather than considered opinions (Last week he was appalled at the treatment of those pensioners in Killiney who were evicted, but if he'd looked into the detail of that case, he might realise it's not the travesty of justice it appears to be.).

By demanding an apology, the church is giving credibility to a rant that really doesn't deserve credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

In his attempts, this morning, to justify what he said last friday he failed to address how/why he went, in under 2 seconds, from talking about the ramblings of a TD he barely knows to condemning an entire church so utterly and with such offence language.

He trotted out the "It was the hierarchy of the RCC I meant" line but it's a pity he didn't say that last Friday - he condemned the church - lock, stock and barrel and knew what he was saying.

The fact that he jumped from this TD's ramblings so quickly to saying "the RCC has ****ed up this country" displays, that he has a hair-trigger, anti-catholic bias which simmers just just below the surface and emerges from time to time.

His apologies/justification this morning where all an extension of his ego-trip. Unfortunetly the RCC fed this my issuing any statement at all, in his head he is now, more than ever, Ray the liberator, Ray the fighter against the Man.

He'd want to wake up to himself.

Fact is - I still enjoy the fun elements of his show and sure didn't he start with Paul Simon's Graceland this morning so he can't be all bad!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fact is - I still enjoy the fun elements of his show and sure didn't he start with Paul Simon's Graceland this morning so he can't be all bad!

A song about a pilgrimage to the home a true God !

Maybe Ray has a religious streak after all.

th_Elvis_20Jesus.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Lapin wrote: »
    Maybe Ray has a religious streak after all.

Yeah, Ray is destined for a Pauline conversion any day now. Then he's gonna annoy the face off atheists.

In his attempts, this morning, to justify what he said last friday he failed to address how/why he went, in under 2 seconds, from talking about the ramblings of a TD he barely knows to condemning an entire church so utterly and with such offence language.

He trotted out the "It was the hierarchy of the RCC I meant" line but it's a pity he didn't say that last Friday - he condemned the church - lock, stock and barrel and knew what he was saying.

The fact that he jumped from this TD's ramblings so quickly to saying "the RCC has ****ed up this country" displays, that he has a hair-trigger, anti-catholic bias which simmers just just below the surface and emerges from time to time.

His apologies/justification this morning where all an extension of his ego-trip. Unfortunetly the RCC fed this my issuing any statement at all, in his head he is now, more than ever, Ray the liberator, Ray the fighter against the Man.

He'd want to wake up to himself.

Were you listening or did you just hear what you wanted to hear?
    He didn't attack the whole Catholic Church.
    He was at pains to clarify it was the hierarchy he was aiming it at.

I'd agree with him that the Catholic Church has had an awful negative effect on this country.

The coverup they went along with for years while innocent people suffered is disgusting.
    People can say that it was a minority of priests that were responsible but those that helped cover it up were just as much to blame.

I don't want to get involved in a debate about the Catholic Church it does seem you clearly see no wrong in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

You say "anti catholic bias" like its a bad thing. The sooner the church acknowledges that a lot of people are very very angry with them the better. Patience is wearing thin at this stage, and having the cheek to ask for am apology at a time while we're all waiting for them to apologise for much worse smacks of .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement