Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

He is the logical long term replacement for Joe Duffy he really is.

He is really positioning himself and aiming the show at the housewives of Ireland. Everything the man says and does he in turn pictures the women at home roaring him on as if he is their voice.

I don't listen to this show at all since my college days, I listen to the odd podcast and like alot of people here i'll listen to an interview that seems to cause a stir (just to see if its hyperbole on behalf of those complaining or whether he actually did do a crap job).

I'm amazed a boss hasn't had a word in his ear in relation to letting a topic develop during an interview. A good interview (from a listeners point of view) consists of making the guest feel at ease, allowing a good flow of conversation. Let the guest speak and give them listener a full understanding of the topic (and this is done by the guest not by Ray Darcy).

From the limited amount ive listened to, he treats his listeners with a lack of respect in presuming he himself needs to recap on whats just been spoken about as if the listener is too stupid to follow.

He also needs to do an overview of research on the topic rather than allocate himself a stance on what he believes is true. We hear so much of the man's opinion its unreal. He is a radio presenter and his opinion should be moot, his job is to remain unbalanced unless its his place to argue something is incorrect.

I'd be interested to know, does he ever read out a critical text about himself that a listener may send in?

There are people in the world who simply cannot help themselves in wanting to be heard when they are given a forum. Toning down their need to revert everything back to themselves is impossible for someone like Ray Darcy i'm afraid.

Has he told his listeners where the show contributor Mairead Farrell has gone yet? You can take her or leave her I reckon, but surely for those who listen loyaly every morning this would be a pretty significant change to simply say nothing about it no?

Finally, if Darcy ever in a million years read these boards he should take one bit of advice from someone who knows nothing- You are there to facilitate an interview not turn your own opinions into the subject of it, get the best out of a guest whilst also reserving judgement of your own. You are not the annointed speaker of the masses and to assume so makes an ass out of you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

Excellent post. Fair and balanced criticism of interview technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 galwaynewbie

I have taken issue with Ray D’Arcy in how he treats women on his show.
    Issue one: The sex worker interview; Ray treated Kate McGrew like a piece of dirt. His disbelief that she would find the job empowering was obnoxious. He spoke to her like a priest, who was delivering a sermon on the evils of sex, women and the power that one can attain from these two ‘evils’.
    Issue two: Ray also acted inappropriately to the worker from Irish Water. He dismissed what she had to say, even though it was factually correct. When she left the studio, Ray and Will behaved like bullies, berating what she had to say. She is merely earning a wage for doing a job.
    Issue three: The weekly slot with the psychologist; why does Ray insist on talking over the professional and adding his so called expertise? Ray, shut up and let the woman do her job.
    These are three recent issues that I have taken. When I compare each of the above slots from his show to the Vincent Browne interview, I find that Ray has a problem with women having opinions.
    One other gripe I have is his pretending to be working class. Today, he must have said, “I’m from a family of nine,” around four times.
    I ask you to pay attention to his interviews with women compared to men. Notice how he treats females like children, and in his “flat Kildare accent,” will take away any power from what she will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't agree. Those 2 were pointless.
    He needs a new timeslot (Fenton's gig would suit him).
    They won't do that of course coz they wouldn't be bold and brave enough to take apart the golden egg of the station - so failing a new timeslot, they need to give him a new producer and one or two completely new sidekicks.

zig and zag perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

price690 wrote: »
    He is the logical long term replacement for Joe Duffy he really is.

He is really positioning himself and aiming the show at the housewives of Ireland. Everything the man says and does he in turn pictures the women at home roaring him on as if he is their voice.

I don't listen to this show at all since my college days, I listen to the odd podcast and like alot of people here i'll listen to an interview that seems to cause a stir (just to see if its hyperbole on behalf of those complaining or whether he actually did do a crap job).

I'm amazed a boss hasn't had a word in his ear in relation to letting a topic develop during an interview. A good interview (from a listeners point of view) consists of making the guest feel at ease, allowing a good flow of conversation. Let the guest speak and give them listener a full understanding of the topic (and this is done by the guest not by Ray Darcy).

From the limited amount ive listened to, he treats his listeners with a lack of respect in presuming he himself needs to recap on whats just been spoken about as if the listener is too stupid to follow.

He also needs to do an overview of research on the topic rather than allocate himself a stance on what he believes is true. We hear so much of the man's opinion its unreal. He is a radio presenter and his opinion should be moot, his job is to remain unbalanced unless its his place to argue something is incorrect.

I'd be interested to know, does he ever read out a critical text about himself that a listener may send in?

There are people in the world who simply cannot help themselves in wanting to be heard when they are given a forum. Toning down their need to revert everything back to themselves is impossible for someone like Ray Darcy i'm afraid.

Has he told his listeners where the show contributor Mairead Farrell has gone yet? You can take her or leave her I reckon, but surely for those who listen loyaly every morning this would be a pretty significant change to simply say nothing about it no?

Finally, if Darcy ever in a million years read these boards he should take one bit of advice from someone who knows nothing- You are there to facilitate an interview not turn your own opinions into the subject of it, get the best out of a guest whilst also reserving judgement of your own. You are not the annointed speaker of the masses and to assume so makes an ass out of you and me.

Probably the best post I've read in a long time and makes the point fair and square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

price690 wrote: »

I believe, although I'm open to correction on this as I don't fall into the category, those who loyally listen heard her announce she was leaving to the Ian Dempsey show. I think she may be producing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

harney wrote: »
    leaving to the Ian Dempsey show. I think she may be producing it.

You think?

Dempsey only mentions her every 5 minutes!!

I assume you're not a listener of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Wonder will he have Tommy Tiernan on after that train-wreak of a documentary last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Kids with brain tumours- bit of light entertainment

oh God this property regulator interview is cringe!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

oh God this property regulator interview is cringe!!!

awful stuff. Darcy asks a question, gets torn apart, then makes his point and says we'll leave it there and move on, as yer man is making absolute bits of him and his facts and stats, which again are all made up and completely wrong. Again, he has an agenda about it, his opinion, and tries to push this onto the interviewee without listening to the answers.

edit: and the usual texts after an interview, every single one praising Ray and slating the regulator. Absolutely typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

nah, I'd feel for D'Arcy there, that guy was a bit of an arse, sounded like a patronising hyper-defensive Enda Kenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Ian Dempsey > Ray D'Arcy > Sean Moncriffe > Matt Cooper > Off The Ball > Paul McLoone

A perfect days radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Did i hear right? One text came in and it said myself and my 4 month old are here in the kitchen praying............... Impressive 4 month old. Simon cowell should be told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Did i hear right? One text came in and it said myself and my 4 month old are here in the kitchen praying............... Impressive 4 month old. Simon cowell should be told.

You heard right, a full decade of the rosary followed by a good long mass, the lord works in mysterious ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Wonder will he have Tommy Tiernan on after that train-wreak of a documentary last night?

You called it!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    Ian Dempsey > Ray D'Arcy > Sean Moncriffe > Matt Cooper > Off The Ball > Paul McLoone

A perfect days radio.

I didn't see the second line of text at first, and was all ready to jump down your throat because you used the greater than signs and put McLoone at the end. :pac: :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

statto25 wrote: »
    Tommy Tiernan.

You called it!

How'd it go? We're on Radio Nova in the office today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

ShagNastii wrote: »
    How'd it go? We're on Radio Nova in the office today.

I didn't listen to it to be honest. When I heard he was on I just blocked it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You think?

Dempsey only mentions her every 5 minutes!!

I assume you're not a listener of his.

I don't dislike him, but not a fan either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 hettyhoop

Totally agree with all the points made about how bad the show is. Finally today I switched over to Tubridy...oh the irony...he was saying how uttering boring it is listening to parents...men in particular going on about their kids!!! I think I'm moving over to Tubs!!!

Regarding Mairead leaving the show, on his last day before his holidays as he was signing off he said "Mairead (pause) thanks for everything."

I've definitely moved on from babies chat, I hate rugby, I don't run, I cook for a living so learn very little from his guests, I love sugar, chocolate , more than one drink night and Thank God I don't suffer from depression...it's not me it's Ray I'm bored out of my mind with his show that covers thw topics above ad nausaum and I'm really irritated with his smug attitude.

By the way is it a coincidence that I was in good humour this morning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

hettyhoop wrote: »
    Totally agree with all the points made about how bad the show is. Finally today I switched over to Tubridy...oh the irony...he was saying how uttering boring it is listening to parents...men in particular going on about their kids!!! I think I'm moving over to Tubs!!!

Regarding Mairead leaving the show, on his last day before his holidays as he was signing off he said "Mairead (pause) thanks for everything."

I've definitely moved on from babies chat, I hate rugby, I don't run, I cook for a living so learn very little from his guests, I love sugar, chocolate , more than one drink night and Thank God I don't suffer from depression...it's not me it's Ray I'm bored out of my mind with his show that covers thw topics above ad nausaum and I'm really irritated with his smug attitude.

By the way is it a coincidence that I was in good humour this morning?
    I switched to Tubs a few months back and i know some people will think I'm crazy but he's a breath of fresh air.
    He knows his ratings are plummeting so he doesn't take himself too serious and just gets on with it.
    I don't know his children's names.
    He doesn't force his personal opinions and side projects on me.
    And i actuality get to hear his guests points of view.
    Look Tubridy might be Marmite for a lot of people but Darcy is peanut butter and frankly I'm allergic so I'd much prefer a bad taste in my mouth than to be suffocated by His self righteous views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This is painful. Some poor woman with OCD on and he is making her feel worse that she already does. The man really needs to understand things before interviewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

gimmick wrote: »
    This is painful. Some poor woman with OCD on and he is making her feel worse that she already does. The man really needs to understand things before interviewing.

I think they call it research (or lack of it thereof)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

Salivating again this morning...!!!, its now my least favourite word

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just in relation to resetting the poll on this thread - I don't know if it's technically possible to reset and allow people who have previously voted re-cast their votes.

I think it would be worth doing, so I would suggest the following: either we can close this thread now (it will be closed at 10k posts anyway) and start a new thread with a new poll, or, we can wait until this thread reaches it's lifespan.

I'm open to either option so what's the consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

For what it's worth......close this thread and start afresh with a new poll.

Last two days I've actually switched over to Tubs & now I'm starting to enjoy Nicky Byrne after him. So Today FM have pretty much lost me as I'd already moved from Ian Dempsey to local radio for breakfast...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Just in relation to resetting the poll on this thread - I don't know if it's technically possible to reset and allow people who have previously voted re-cast their votes.

I think it would be worth doing, so I would suggest the following: either we can close this thread now (it will be closed at 10k posts anyway) and start a new thread with a new poll, or, we can wait until this thread reaches it's lifespan.

I'm open to either option so what's the consensus?

Good idea it'd be interesting to see. You should wrap it up and restart.

Restart please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Yep, close it up and start the poll anew gets my vote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement