Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

I wonder as the inventor of running does Ray get some sort of royalty payment or something along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Ray is chatting to the reptile keeper from the zoo, assumed he didn't understand what an oxymoron was...along the lines of of "I suppose you don't know what an oxymoron is"...well Ray we all know what a poxy moron is...

That followed a Liveline esque interview wtih a clearly grieving woman who is working through her grief by...you guessed it....running!!! Although Dr. Ray had to give her some advice off air...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What a question from a minion....How do you run?

I'm running round the kitchen Ray, Just knocked over a few dancers..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What a question from a minion....How do you run?

I'm running round the kitchen Ray, Just knocked over a few dancers..

Probably knocked them over due to the tears in your eyes Joe.

I avoided the show all week for fear of curling up into a ball of self loathing for not donning my shorts, "I Ran the Ray 5k" t shirt and asics gels every morning and feeling so good about myself I text in a radio show to tell them how great I am and how useless every other poor b*stard is;)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭xtradel

Classic Ray:

Ray: Ooh, some girl in a blue dress with blonde hair just walked past the studio window.

Will: Thats the captain of the Cork camogie team....your next guest!

Ray: Oh right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

xtradel wrote: »
    Classic Ray:

Ray: Ooh, some girl in a blue dress with blonde hair just walked past the studio window.

Will: Thats the captain of the Cork camogie team....your next guest!

Ray: Oh right...

What an idiot. The man must live in a box. When u hear the likes of kenny conducting an interview with the amount of research gone into each guest, It's an absolute joke what d'arcy gets away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

neris wrote: »
    what a fantastic contribution for a 1st post. so informative and constructive

In fairness it's as rational and sensible as most of the bile in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Since Ray is so insistent on talking about children and babies and whatnot, he could do with listening to Moncrieff's parenting bit. I heard it for the first time the other day and it was actually pretty interesting. I usually couldn't care less about that sort of topic, but ended up enjoying it. If Ray took some notes maybe his baby time wouldn't be so awful for everyone except himself and the parent involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't want to spoil the LIFE magazine article about A List Mairead but being from Finglas wasn't as easy as you might initially suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Don't want to spoil the LIFE magazine article about A List Mairead but being from Finglas wasn't as easy as you might initially suspect.

I never got why she played the victim just because of where she's from. I thought she was in denial I remember Ray mentioning she was from Finglas once and she shouted over him saying it was Glasnevin.

Bottom line she shouldn't be afraid of where she was from, it's disrespectful to her family. I'm sure she's a lot happier now in D4 with her au pere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭siblers

mikep wrote: »

That followed a Liveline esque interview wtih a clearly grieving woman who is working through her grief by...you guessed it....running!!! Although Dr. Ray had to give her some advice off air...
    I really don't understand how you can slag him over this, the poor girl was able to get through her loss by running. It wasn't like Ray was forcing it down the listener's throat about how everyone should take up running. He came across very well the way he talked to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

siblers wrote: »
    I really don't understand how you can slag him over this, the poor girl was able to get through her loss by running. It wasn't like Ray was forcing it down the listener's throat about how everyone should take up running. He came across very well the way he talked to her.

The problem is Rays solution to all lifes problems.

Running.

There is NOTHING wrong in the world that cannot be cured by running. Every show, it seems to be about running.

I just need a show with a bit of talk about current topics between music.

I realised about 5 years ago that the only recurring theme on the show is running.

It surely cannot be that difficult to manage a music and chat show that doesn't pander to the presenters obsession to one facet of existence that has a place but isn't the totality of existence?

Obviously not...

5live wrote: »
    The problem is Rays solution to all lifes problems.

Running.

There is NOTHING wrong in the world that cannot be cured by running. Every show, it seems to be about running.

I just need a show with a bit of talk about current topics between music.

I realised about 5 years ago that the only recurring theme on the show is running.

It surely cannot be that difficult to manage a music and chat show that doesn't pander to the presenters obsession to one facet of existence that has a place but isn't the totality of existence?

Obviously not...

Switch. To. Newstalk. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

5live wrote: »

The only recurring theme? Really? You can't think of any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Switch. To. Newstalk. ;)

Is there much music on newstalk?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Me 3 wrote: »
    No. Can you?

Babies, sugary foods and drinks, Tom and Kate people's height, the medicinal benefits of porridge just some of them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Has Mairead been mentioned by Ray since she left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Switch. To. Newstalk. ;)
    No music during the daytime. Tom Dunne was OK but too much talk for me.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    The only recurring theme? Really? You can't think of any others?
    Meh, there probably are but they don't bother me too much. I mostly listen to 2fm or local radio now but sometimes i come into a room/car with Ray on and its running, running and, eh, running again.

It's reflex now to change channels when i hear Rays running so my knowledge of the current themes(rants;)) is minimal, thankfully:)

Addle wrote: »
    Is there much music on newstalk?

probably not as much music but the topics are so interesting and varied that you dont notice! Good interviewers who actually listen and ask intelligent questions. Proper debate that's not one sided.

I know it wont be everybody's cup of tea but it suits me. I used to be a fan of Ray and was always talking about the show but in the last 2 years I've changed - and he hasn't. Age and maturity I guess .

Someone else would have to advise you on where to get the best morning music - 4 fm maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

probably not as much music but the topics are so interesting and varied that you dont notice! Good interviewers who actually listen and ask intelligent questions. Proper debate that's not one sided.

I know it wont be everybody's cup of tea but it suits me. I used to be a fan of Ray and was always talking about the show but in the last 2 years I've changed - and he hasn't. Age and maturity I guess .

Someone else would have to advise you on where to get the best morning music - 4 fm maybe?

+1 to all this. If you can at all switch over and you'll be better off for it. I've no choice in work the odd time these days to listen to d'arcy and it puts me in bad form when I do. The contrast is stark on a station like newstalk.
    IMHO 90% of the criticism on here is thoroughly deserved and when it's said that the criticism should not be personal well that's just a nonsense seeing as he makes everything on that show personal and about him so you can't criticise the one without the other.

• Advertisement

Horse84 wrote: »
    +1 to all this. If you can at all switch over and you'll be better off for it. I've no choice in work the odd time these days to listen to d'arcy and it puts me in bad form when I do. The contrast is stark on a station like newstalk.
    IMHO 90% of the criticism on here is thoroughly deserved and when it's said that the criticism should not be personal well that's just a nonsense seeing as he makes everything on that show personal and about him so you can't criticise the one without the other.

totally agree..... if you're criticising Ray D'arcy Show you're basically criticising Ray cos its all about him and his opinions. That's not being small minded or mean .... its a fact. You can't separate them. Unlike shows on Newstalk where you don't hear presenters make references to themselves on every topic. (George Hook may be the slight exception :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Guys, I think ye all need to take a step back, deep breath, release slowly and relax. It's a radio show, we don't have to like, obey, follow his views. It's like most people we know, some of what they say is ****e, some isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

It's hard to believe though that no one connected to the show doesn't read the comments and views that are expressed here. All of this coupled with the Oliver Callan sketches must surely have an impact on him. I know if it were me I would be mortified and would at least try to make some changes. But then maybe people like me are correct in their assumption that he is incredibly smug and self righteous - he obviously feels he doesn't have to so he's not going to.

Guys, I think ye all need to take a step back, deep breath, release slowly and relax. It's a radio show, we don't have to like, obey, follow his views. It's like most people we know, some of what they say is ****e, some isn't.

thats true - but in everyday life you dont have to listen to the same person every day saying the same stuff - you have the option of not being around them or walking away or whatever (unless it's your other half!)
    On radio that persons views and likes and obsessions are part everything they say and do (certainly in Ray D'arcy's case) so if you're at work and the radio is on I can see how annoying that would be. His style of interviewing is to interrupt and not actually listen. I found that the most annoying. You cant just walk away if you dont have control over the radio.
    I dont listen to him anymore as its not on where I work. At home or in the car I listen to Newstalk. I got tired of venting here and even switching on for a few minutes just to "see"! It hasnt chaged and some things never do.
    (yes at least when Oliver Callan did the sketch it kinda proved we weren't wrong!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Ray came on this morning and he was talking about running again! I switched over to Newstalk and there was a really interesting interview with Fr Peter McVerry about homelessness. Not exactly cheery but engaging. Think I'll be sticking with Newstalk, the lack of music might get to me but then again I don't have to hear Hozier butchering Led Zeppelin either.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I think if moncrieff was put on earlier by newstalk in direct competition with Ray, and had a little more music in his show, he'd annihilate rays listenership.

I find newstalks scheduling a bit strange. In my opinion there should definitely be a changeover at nine o clock from a breakfast show to a mid morning show. Having Ivan Yates running till ten is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Still asking the no strings question

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Ray would probably ask the Pope that if he was on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

anybody ever answer "jenny kelly ray....she's beautiful"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I think if moncrieff was put on earlier by newstalk in direct competition with Ray, and had a little more music in his show, he'd annihilate rays listenership.

I find newstalks scheduling a bit strange. In my opinion there should definitely be a changeover at nine o clock from a breakfast show to a mid morning show. Having Ivan Yates running till ten is not a good idea.

You do know Today Fm and Newstalk have the same owner right ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement