Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

What What?

She is going to star in a musical version of Elf so they had a short scene of "Love/Hate Elf" as written by Will.
    Ray "starred" as a gormlous happy elf while she was a gangster type elf. Absolute muck, she was cringing doing it but Ray thought it was a great laugh.
    Special marks to Ray for not warning some listeners about the language used in the scene and passing off texts to this effect afterwards (didn't bother me but I can see why it would for some people coming on at 11.55 am).

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

She is going to star in a musical version of Elf so they had a short scene of "Love/Hate Elf" as written by Will.
    Ray "starred" as a gormlous happy elf while she was a gangster type elf. Absolute muck, she was cringing doing it but Ray thought it was a great laugh.
    Special marks to Ray for not warning some listeners about the language used in the scene and passing off texts to this effect afterwards (didn't bother me but I can see why it would for some people coming on at 11.55 am).

See that's Ray all over, she's going to be in a play so he thinks, how can I make this about me! The man is so full of himself so self consumed that it's an affront to the basic laws of physics that he doesn't just explode from the pressure of his enormous ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭letsseehere14

Have caught some of it there.....

Talking about 5K's and running (again) and getting runners and getting your gate checked. So boring at this stage.

Then a genuine text from a listener asking can he keep updates with the Ryder Cup for the people stuck in cars today, his response in a dismissive tone: 'Really?!'. He then starts talking about the golf WAGS and what they're wearing. Nothing on the golf.

Minutes later he answers another text on running/runners/getting your gate checked.

Finally I though he was going to be mature about it, even Will made a comment about how he answered the first text (guessing people texted in about they way he handled it) but nope, he beings reading out this script (from a texter I think) about whats happening on sky sports. People hitting balls with 'sticks' like its an absolute nonsense. Am I missing an earlier joke here or what does he have against golf?

This is the biggest sporting event happening in the world this weekend. Captained by an Irishman, with two Irish vice-captains and two Irish players, one of whom is the best golfer in the world. It's followed by tens of thousands of Irish people many of whom are his listeners but he completely insults it.

Oh and then he's talking about him and his kids dancing around the house to a song. Guess no one texted saying they were dancing so he had to fill the whole, and bring up his kids at the same time, win win for him I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I feel a bit bad for bitching about Hozier now, he's a talented chap and he seems very nice and genuine to boot. But while the Whole Lotta Love cover is pretty good, it's not so good that it needs to be played every day for the last six months and it's CERTAINLY not better than the original (which I'm sure I heard Ray say the other day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Talking about 5K's and running (again) and getting runners and getting your gate checked. So boring at this stage.

Then a genuine text from a listener asking can he keep updates with the Ryder Cup for the people stuck in cars today, his response in a dismissive tone: 'Really?!'. He then starts talking about the golf WAGS and what they're wearing. Nothing on the golf.

Minutes later he answers another text on running/runners/getting your gate checked.

Finally I though he was going to be mature about it, even Will made a comment about how he answered the first text (guessing people texted in about they way he handled it) but nope, he beings reading out this script (from a texter I think) about whats happening on sky sports. People hitting balls with 'sticks' like its an absolute nonsense. Am I missing an earlier joke here or what does he have against golf?

This is the biggest sporting event happening in the world this weekend. Captained by an Irishman, with two Irish vice-captains and two Irish players, one of whom is the best golfer in the world. It's followed by tens of thousands of Irish people many of whom are his listeners but he completely insults it.

Oh and then he's talking about him and his kids dancing around the house to a song. Guess no one texted saying they were dancing so he had to fill the whole, and bring up his kids at the same time, win win for him I guess.

I have a negligible interest in golf but I'd much rather hear about the Ryder Cup than flipping running!

As you say it's a huge deal for Irish golf, our golfers are world-class, definitely something to be proud of! If it was rugby we'd be hearing about it!

• Advertisement

ivytwine wrote: »
    I have a negligible interest in golf but I'd much rather hear about the Ryder Cup than flipping running!

As you say it's a huge deal for Irish golf, our golfers are world-class, definitely something to be proud of! If it was rugby we'd be hearing about it!

Exactly, I mean the texter wasn't asking for him to devote the entire program to it, but I mean how hard would i be for him, ever half hour say, to just spend 20 seconds with an update. It would have been at 10am, 10:30am, 11am, 11:30am and just before he finishes. 20 seconds a go. Less than two minutes, definitely less time than he spends each show on running.

I just don't get why he was so dismissive and insulting towards it? He has no problem spending time on things he likes, but surely he realises his listeners are a diverse bunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Was listening to the VinB interview on the podcast section yesterday.
    Had to stop half way through.
    Went looking for it this morning and its gone.......

Wonder if the big boss told the little bosses what to do :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Listening right now, he's not sounding too professional, all "em" "ah" "mmm" "ahhh"

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

AGHHHH I can't take any more baby talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Personally I wouldn't want a golf update during the show, is the sports news update every hour not enough? I realise it is the 3rd most watched sporting event but I couldn't give a monkeys. Kind of sick of everyone here talking about it already!

• Advertisement

Personally I wouldn't want a golf update during the show, is the sports news update every hour not enough? I realise it is the 3rd most watched sporting event but I couldn't give a monkeys. Kind of sick of everyone here talking about it already!

Grand, he didn't have to devote any time to it and I'd have no problem with that either. But he did devote time to it. Problem is the time he did give to it he treated the subject with disdain and ridiculed it on air?
    He spent about thirty seconds talking about what the golf WAGS were wearing directly after the first text and another minute reading out that script or whatever it was pretending to be watching sky sports, but which totally insulted the sport and the event.

I am asking why? Why not just use that time to actually engage in the event a little more and satisfy some listeners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Grand, he didn't have to devote any time to it and I'd have no problem with that either. But he did devote time to it. Problem is the time he did give to it he treated the subject with disdain and ridiculed it on air?
    He spent about thirty seconds talking about what the golf WAGS were wearing directly after the first text and another minute reading out that script or whatever it was pretending to be watching sky sports, but which totally insulted the sport and the event.

I am asking why?listeners Why not just use that time to actually engage in the event a little more and satisfy some ?
    Because they don't run to each hole, preferring instead to walk.

Golfers need to get off their bums and start doing 5ks:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

To be fair, if your gate is bad then you shouldn't go running.

I mean, the cows could get out of the field while you're gone or something.

Sorry, I'm a weak human being. :o :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

They should have got the squirrel eating guy from yesterday to advise on this, didn't he say his day job was installing gates!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To be fair, if your gate is bad then you shouldn't go running.

I mean, the cows could get out of the field while you're gone or something.

Sorry, I'm a weak human being. :o :P

ha!! ah gate, gait, whatever :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

If you can't open your gate how can you go running?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    If you can't open your gate how can you go running?

Just hop over it :P
    That will even add some plyometrics to your workout. Maybe take the monotony out of jogging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

At least he doesnt treat golf like football. Remember the euros in Poland? He got right behind the team and made a song for it which wasnt great. Then it became all about the song. But as soon as the euros were over, he went back to dismissing footballers as overpaid idiots.

When was the last time he had a good interview with a footballer? Johnny Giles doesnt count. After a football interview, he blames the guest for the poor interview.
    Every rugby guest gets treated like royalty. At least ray is consistent about golf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ray treats rugby players, celebrity chefs, Irish comedians, authors of raunchy novels, runners, Irish singer song writers, people from X Factor/I'm a Celebrity/The Voice/Britiains Got Talent, people with sob stories who bring a tear to his eyes and any guest who will make a listener dance around their kitchen with the utmost respect.

But any of the rest, including ANY politician, any footballer, any Gaelic games player, any boxer (excluding Katie Taylor of course), MMA star gets the dismissive I Don't Give Sh1t and look down my nose at you treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

I thought this week was absolutely intolerable. The previous two weeks before that were decent enough in my opinion.

I'm at the stage now where I think I'm going to take the fuse out of the work radio plug to sabotage it for Monday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

BPKS wrote: »
    Ray treats rugby players, celebrity chefs, Irish comedians, authors of raunchy novels, runners, Irish singer song writers, people from X Factor/I'm a Celebrity/The Voice/Britiains Got Talent, people with sob stories who bring a tear to his eyes and any guest who will make a listener dance around their kitchen with the utmost respect.

But any of the rest, including ANY politician, any footballer, any Gaelic games player, any boxer (excluding Katie Taylor of course), MMA star gets the dismissive I Don't Give Sh1t and look down my nose at you treatment.

With ray, you almost always know how the interview will go before it starts depending on what the person is on for. Thats why i thought Vincent brown was very good this week. It was surprising and Ray was trying to keep up. It reminded me of when Dustin comes on.

I would love if they got Dustin on once a week on Fridays to review the output of the show/or Vincent Brown to do politics.
    Actually Vinnie and Dustin are very similar

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

I had Tubridy on a couple of times during the week and it was strange ( good)...he spoke to people and also listened.
    They did a feature today on songs that you either love or loathe. When trying to decide what to call the feature himself and the other girl with him didn't agree on the name title and he went with her idea without harping on about it or forcing her into just agreeing with what he proposed....Raymond would be appalled by such antics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lads tone down the negativity a bit. We are being watched Mark my words.just stick in an i love ray every now and then and you'll be fine.

I love ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Lads tone down the negativity a bit. We are being watched Mark my words.just stick in an i love ray every now and then and you'll be fine.

I love ray.

Grand so.

I love Ray...

Parker jr.:-)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

5live wrote: »
    Grand so.

I love Ray...

Parker jr.:-)

Who you gonna call. ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭johnire

RayBusters!!!
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Who you gonna call. ....

PIORUN wrote: »
    I had Tubridy on a couple of times during the week and it was strange ( good)...he spoke to people and also listened.
    They did a feature today on songs that you either love or loathe. When trying to decide what to call the feature himself and the other girl with him didn't agree on the name title and he went with her idea without harping on about it or forcing her into just agreeing with what he proposed....Raymond would be appalled by such antics.

you hit the nail on the head!

that's what it's all about......listening.

the ego is too big in Ray's case...... he just can't resist butting in with anedcotes/opinions of his own.

and if I'm censored for this so be it..... its simply my opinion. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Who you gonna call. ....

Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Latte1

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    At least he doesnt treat golf like football. Remember the euros in Poland? He got right behind the team and made a song for it which wasnt great. Then it became all about the song. But as soon as the euros were over, he went back to dismissing footballers as overpaid idiots.

When was the last time he had a good interview with a footballer? Johnny Giles doesnt count. After a football interview, he blames the guest for the poor interview.
    Every rugby guest gets treated like royalty. At least ray is consistent about golf

You've hit the nail on the head there. I remember him speaking to Kevin Doyle when he was in Wexford and Doyle came across quite well. For months after Raymond kept going on how he wouldn't talk. He fawns all over the rugby players. No doubt Tom will be enlisted with Old Belvedere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Latte1 wrote: »
    You've hit the nail on the head there. I remember him speaking to Kevin Doyle when he was in Wexford and Doyle came across quite well. For months after Raymond kept going on how he wouldn't talk. He fawns all over the rugby players. No doubt Tom will be enlisted with Old Belvedere

I remember that interview and it was pure cringe. Doyle who was without a club at the time told him he was in talks with a potential new club and for obvious reasons he didn't want to say what club. Darcy kept on at him though, he went on a Misses Doyle from Fr. Ted job... go on tell us, go on tell us what club, can't ya tell us shure... we could do with a scoop here this morning, go on tell us. I'm telling you I can't Ray, need to play my cards close to my chest. Ah jaysus you're no fun. Ray came across as a terrible clown that day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement