Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ray D'Arcy Show Thread - Mod note Post # 1 Updated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just had a quick listen to the infamous Seinfeld interview

I could only listen to the first couple of minutes as I'm in work, but wtf was Ray thinking starting the interview like that? Made himself sound like a right clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ray is used to interviewing the "mad" irish comedians, and you can hear him desperately trying to draw his interpretation of "comedy" into the interview. Its terrible radio, and its very much not Jerry's fault, the interview is totally misjudged and Ray never sounds prepared enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

zuroph wrote: »
    ray is used to interviewing the "mad" irish comedians, and you can hear him desperately trying to draw his interpretation of "comedy" into the interview. Its terrible radio, and its very much not Jerry's fault, the interview is totally misjudged and Ray never sounds prepared enough.

It's absolutely chronic radio. The amount of times he say's aaaaah between and during questions is ridiculous. He does a piss poor job of preparing the interview and asks the most boring questions possible, then blames Seinfeld for not being more funny or interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That interview is painful to listen to. Ray hops all over the place with his questions and doesnt give Jerry any chance to get a conversation going. Whenever he started, Ray went and changed the subject completly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thing about Ray is, he plans an interview and sticks to it. Something every Journo does, but lets the interviewee go on for a short while, before moving on.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That interview is painful to listen to. Ray hops all over the place with his questions and doesnt give Jerry any chance to get a conversation going. Whenever he started, Ray went and changed the subject completly.

You could sympathise if Ray was remotely aware of his shortcomings as an interviewer but he thinks he's up there with parkinson. And what's worse is his technical ability there was more "stop stop eject eject" today followed by "I'll play that in its entirety/totality after the break. He's doing the job five mornings a week, at the very least he should learn to use the equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

3grrr3 wrote: »
    So another woman has asked the Ray Darcy show to help her track down the man she had a one stand with over a year ago. She found out she was pregnant now wants to find the daddy. WTF is wrong with these women? Do they really think it's going to have a fairytale ending, because believe me that's never going to happen. Do they think the man is going to run to her side and take this child on straight away? Do they think he is going to love it and form a bond from the start? No they are not. The only thing that the man will have is hatred. He will hate that this girl who he slept with one night a year or more ago, is having his description and his life broadcast over national radio.
    This woman has no idea what she is doing. Has she even thought about him in any of this? What about the girlfriend/wife or partner he has and what its going to do to them? He may have been single when he slept with her but now is in a relationship and thinking of starting a family. This girl has put all of that in jeopardy. I bet this girl hasn't given him or his loved ones a single thought.
    This girl made her decision to have this child, she should not be dragging him into it.

What the f**k? The most important person in this scenario is the child! Not the father or the mother. You're going on like this guy is the victim of some kind of crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

3grrr3 wrote: »
    So another woman has asked the Ray Darcy show to help her track down the man she had a one stand with over a year ago. She found out she was pregnant now wants to find the daddy. WTF is wrong with these women? Do they really think it's going to have a fairytale ending, because believe me that's never going to happen. Do they think the man is going to run to her side and take this child on straight away? Do they think he is going to love it and form a bond from the start? No they are not. The only thing that the man will have is hatred. He will hate that this girl who he slept with one night a year or more ago, is having his description and his life broadcast over national radio.
    This woman has no idea what she is doing. Has she even thought about him in any of this? What about the girlfriend/wife or partner he has and what its going to do to them? He may have been single when he slept with her but now is in a relationship and thinking of starting a family. This girl has put all of that in jeopardy. I bet this girl hasn't given him or his loved ones a single thought.
    This girl made her decision to have this child, she should not be dragging him into it.

What an archaic attitude you signed up to Boards to post.

Seems to be a few first time posts on this thread lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

You could sympathise if Ray was remotely aware of his shortcomings as an interviewer but he thinks he's up there with parkinson. And what's worse is his technical ability there was more "stop stop eject eject" today followed by "I'll play that in its entirety/totality after the break. He's doing the job five mornings a week, at the very least he should learn to use the equipment.

Yeah he always seems to be approaching the technical side of presenting like it's his first day on the job, seems to have no idea what's happening with phone lines, volume, ads/songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Listened to the Seinfeld interview and felt Ray came accross as an a*shole. "you had a relationship with him.....er i don't mean like that wink wink nudge nudge....oh Jerry i'm a gas c*nt"

• Advertisement

Acoshla wrote: »
    Yeah he always seems to be approaching the technical side of presenting like it's his first day on the job, seems to have no idea what's happening with phone lines, volume, ads/songs.

He did it again today during the sports news. Paul Collins was telling us Katie Taylor was qaulified for the olympics and Ray interrupts trying to be funny playing the rocky theme tune but as usual fcuks it up and plays James Browns get up. I suppose we should be thankful he became a radio presenter and not a surgeon with his level of incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yep he did it three times today by my count! It's embarrassing when he gets all muddled in a job he's been doing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

He does get a bit of undue flack sometimes but good lord that interview was beyond atrocious. I actually wasn't going to listen to it, but he's made so many snyde little references since that I felt it incumbent upon me to do so. From the very outset of the interview Ray sounded jaded, like he would rather be anywhere else but there. And things went from bad to worse when he started off "I suppose you have a pain in your face talking about Seinfeld in interviews" "...no not really." Woe betide the man that dares correct an ill-informed D'arcy assumption!
    From then on it was just horrible, horrible, transition year interviewing local TD cringe-inducing waffle.
    "So eh eh ahh what's your favourite TV show?"
    "Curb Your Enthusiasm etc. etc."
    "Okay."
    Generally when an interviewer asks a question it's with the intention of getting the interviewee to expand on their answer afterwards, but it's like he was just going through a checklist or something, asking one question, getting an answer and moving onto the next (completely unrelated) one.
    And then his legions of goons texting in in their hundreds for the usual bout of ego fellatio, "omg ray he was sooo bad that I've been reduced to tears, looking at my beautiful autistic son across the kitchen table hoping he'll never grow up to give a radio interview like that"
    *siiiiiiiiigh*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

DuckStab wrote: »
    And then his legions of goons texting in in their hundreds for the usual bout of ego fellatio, "omg ray he was sooo bad that I've been reduced to tears, looking at my beautiful autistic son across the kitchen table hoping he'll never grow up to give a radio interview like that"
    *siiiiiiiiigh*

:pac::pac:

He does get a bit of undue flack sometimes but good lord that interview was beyond atrocious. I actually wasn't going to listen to it, but he's made so many snyde little references since that I felt it incumbent upon me to do so. From the very outset of the interview Ray sounded jaded, like he would rather be anywhere else but there. And things went from bad to worse when he started off "I suppose you have a pain in your face talking about Seinfeld in interviews" "...no not really." Woe betide the man that dares correct an ill-informed D'arcy assumption!
    From then on it was just horrible, horrible, transition year interviewing local TD cringe-inducing waffle.
    "Okay."
    Generally when an interviewer asks a question it's with the intention of getting the interviewee to expand on their answer afterwards, but it's like he was just going through a checklist or something, asking one question, getting an answer and moving onto the next (completely unrelated) one.
    *siiiiiiiiigh*

Ha ha if the Seinfeld interview had a tenth of the humour this post has I would have no issue with it. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

not DES BISHOP again must be 6th time this year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

jjll wrote: »

Saw this on their facebook page,no D'Arcy for me today then.
    I really just don't get their obsession with this unfunny pile of horse****e,stop it...
    STOP IT NOW:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

Tayla wrote: »
    What the f**k? The most important person in this scenario is the child! Not the father or the mother. You're going on like this guy is the victim of some kind of crime.

An odd post indeed, from a first time poster? More to that then meets the eye me thinks ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

jjll wrote: »

Who's Des Bishop?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Kolacny brothers... yawn. They were hot stuff about a year ago then faded back into obscurity but Ray keeps playing them :mad:

Listening to Foley and Co. now. I know he can be an insufferable ass too but I got a great chuckle out of the wee swipe they got in at D'Arcy "just gonna read a few messages here, mary's sitting in her kitchen and she's moved to tears at the emotion in the voices of those Kolacny brothers" or something to that effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

After all the comments re the interview i went and listened to it, I dont know what ray was complaining about, Seinfeld was professional in his approach , whereas Ray was very poor, he would ask a question and Seinfeld would answer it, then Ray would go yeah yeah as if he didnt believe the answer.

Ray came across as bored and uninterested

Shelflife wrote: »
    After all the comments re the interview i went and listened to it, I dont know what ray was complaining about, Seinfeld was professional in his approach , whereas Ray was very poor, he would ask a question and Seinfeld would answer it, then Ray would go yeah yeah as if he didnt believe the answer.

Ray came across as bored and uninterested

Its Jerrys fault, Ray is always funny and never wrong. Ray spent years at the top of broadcasting with The Den, Seinfeld had a two bit show in a backwater town. Ray has had huge investment in media training where Seinfeld is socially awkward and inept at holding peoples attention. Ray speaks clear and concise without hesitation or doubt, Seinfeld is constantly pausing and saying aaaaahhh while he thinks of what to say .:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

Its Jerrys fault, Ray is always funny and never wrong. Ray spent years at the top of broadcasting with The Den, Seinfeld had a two bit show in a backwater town. Ray has had huge investment in media training where Seinfeld is socially awkward and inept at holding peoples attention. Ray speaks clear and concise without hesitation or doubt, Seinfeld is constantly pausing and saying aaaaahhh while he thinks of what to say .:pac::pac::pac::pac:

While you quite clearly have a massive axe to grind regarding this, the overbearing need you feel to defend Seinfeld as some sort of interview paragon as a means to dig Ray is at best, sketchy. There are quite a few instances of Jerry being awkward and deliberately short in interviews (though I suspect you already know that). Larry King wasn't nurtured on The Den, and he had a much worse time with him.

Honestly, the hysterical need to chastise and deride every nuance of Ray and his show gets laughable at times. Ray openly and clearly admitted it was a bad interview, and questioned whether he himself was at fault for it (and mentioned other times where he had bad interviews), yet he gets hammered on here for it as if he presents himself as the next Oprah.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Klim wrote: »
    While you quite clearly have a massive axe to grind regarding this, the overbearing need you feel to defend Seinfeld as some sort of interview paragon as a means to dig Ray is at best, sketchy. There are quite a few instances of Jerry being awkward and deliberately short in interviews (though I suspect you already know that). Larry King wasn't nurtured on The Den, and he had a much worse time with him.

Honestly, the hysterical need to chastise and deride every nuance of Ray and his show gets laughable at times. Ray openly and clearly admitted it was a bad interview, and questioned whether he himself was at fault for it (and mentioned other times where he had bad interviews), yet he gets hammered on here for it as if he presents himself as the next Oprah.
    ah in fairness he was brutal

When did he question if he himself was at fault?? He said on Monday that Jerry was a terrible interviewee and on numerous occasions prior to that he said the interview was cringe worthy due to Jerrys lack of participation!! The first minute set the tone for the interview where Ray stated everything about himself falling just short of his favourite sexual position. This is a regular theme in interviews that Ray conducts where he turns the focus on himself instead of the guest. A recent example of this is where Ray had an olympic athlete in studio and made him watch him perform a cartwheel. The interview with the author of Run fat bitch run was really just Ray regaling us with his tales of running to work. Most interviews he conducts are more like interrogations, there is no flow to them with random sporadic questions. Most times it feels as if he is sitting there with ten questions in front of him just marking them off with little interest in the answers, he needs to elaborate on the guests answers instead of just saying yeah or okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Klim

When did he question if he himself was at fault??.................

He spoke about it directly after it was aired, and it was brought up a good few times later on in the show (due to people texting in and commenting on it etc). He was asking was it his fault with his questioning, or did he just catch him on a bad day or whatever. Those in the studio said it was Jerry's fault, (which I think is a major fault of the show; the 'yes men/women'. But, I digress).

He brought up an interview he did with Steve Martin (I think) and admitted he ballsed it up from the first line and it went downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

"Okay."
    *siiiiiiiiigh*

soooo good :D

He spoke about it directly after it was aired, and it was brought up a good few times later on in the show (due to people texting in and commenting on it etc). He was asking was it his fault with his questioning, or did he just catch him on a bad day or whatever. Those in the studio said it was Jerry's fault, (which I think is a major fault of the show; the 'yes men/women'. But, I digress).

He brought up an interview he did with Steve Martin (I think) and admitted he ballsed it up from the first line and it went downhill from there.

I stand corrected he actually did say that and instantly the team said no ray it was all him, since then Ray has branded Seinfeld a terrible interviewee. I feel Ray cannot handle any criticism of himself and once someone is not of the same opinion as his he loses interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Is that you jenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I wll say this in favour of Ray, Jerry did start to give crap answers near the end. The majority of the blame still goes to Ray though. Jerry was up for it for the first three quarters then seemed to lose interest as the questions were random and Ray didnt seem interested in a conversation, just answers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement