Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭terrarev

Not without a new application.

Depending where you are it might just be a "change of design" application, but it will still need to go through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Hi, is this a suitable forum to ask questions regarding purchasing an old house/ a building that may have protected structure issues or would need permission for changes to be made. I dont post very often and I dont want to spoil any threads.
    Many Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

rusty999 wrote: »
    Hi, is this a suitable forum to ask questions regarding purchasing an old house/ a building that may have protected structure issues or would need permission for changes to be made. I dont post very often and I dont want to spoil any threads.
    Many Thanks

Request a section 57 declaration off the council, it is free, form needs to be filled out. This will give you info and what may and what may not need planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

To prove local needs you need education records? What do i need to ask my past schools for? is it just a letter to say when i attended the school , is that it? is it both my primary and secondary school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Angry bird wrote: »
    Request a section 57 declaration off the council, it is free, form needs to be filled out. This will give you info and what may and what may not need planning permission.

Thanks indeed for your reply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

To prove local needs you need education records? What do i need to ask my past schools for? is it just a letter to say when i attended the school , is that it? is it both my primary and secondary school ?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Both schools if you can. More always helps!

Dates of attendance is what most people get but if they can attest to you being involved in local community endeavours then that might be helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Quick question guys. There's a house/apartments being built next door to my Dad's house. It's a condition of their planning permission, and shown on the proposed drawings, that the height of the development should not exceed the height of my Dad's house. As built (they're in the middle of construction) its about 5 or 6 feet taller.

My Dad thinks it will devalue his house. Whether it does or not is besides the point, however is there anything that can be done or any advice I can give him? (Just so he knows I've looked into it for him :))

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Quick question guys. There's a house/apartments being built next door to my Dad's house. It's a condition of their planning permission, and shown on the proposed drawings, that the height of the development should not exceed the height of my Dad's house. As built (they're in the middle of construction) its about 5 or 6 feet taller.

My Dad thinks it will devalue his house. Whether it does or not is besides the point, however is there anything that can be done or any advice I can give him? (Just so he knows I've looked into it for him :))

All you can do is contact the planning enforcement section (in the planning department) of the local authority and ask them to investigate further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thebsharp

Mr.Plough wrote: »

Planning enforcement as already mentioned. There's a house across the road from me that the Council wouldn't sign off because it was built higher than proposed. Been vacan't for two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Is it hard to get permission to build on agricultural land?? Say if you cant find development land to build on in an area but there was loads of agricultural land to build on could you buy agri land to build on? Looking to build 6 log cabins for tourist accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Thread moved to planning sticky.

Why not read this thread. Your post lacks details. Impossible to comment on

BryanF wrote: »
    Thread moved to planning sticky.

Why not read this thread. Your post lacks details. Impossible to comment on

Post updated

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Help!!!! wrote: »
    Is it hard to get permission to build on agricultural land?? Say if you cant find development land to build on in an area but there was loads of agricultural land to build on could you buy agri land to build on? Looking to build 6 log cabins for tourist accommodation.

a few big issues here...

1. the disposal of effluent. you will need to calculate the total loading at peak times and whether or not the cabins will served by a common system and where the treated effluent discharges ie to a river or to the ground etc. Anything lacking here would straight away be a reason for refusal.

2. local services. are the access roads good enough for the extra traffic? 6 cabins could equate to approx an extra 50 traffic movements per day on the access route. also, what local amenities / shops etc are available.
    water source? public mains would probably be necessary as well.

3. when you say tourist accommodation i assume you mean holiday homes rather than any kind of sheltered development with a communal gathering area, reception etc. you will need to find out the councils specific policies in regard to holiday homes, they should have one in their county development plan.

but your very first starting point would be to get a sketch design done up and have a pre planning meeting with the local planner.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    a few big issues here...

1. the disposal of effluent. you will need to calculate the total loading at peak times and whether or not the cabins will served by a common system and where the treated effluent discharges ie to a river or to the ground etc. Anything lacking here would straight away be a reason for refusal.

2. local services. are the access roads good enough for the extra traffic? 6 cabins could equate to approx an extra 50 traffic movements per day on the access route. also, what local amenities / shops etc are available.
    water source? public mains would probably be necessary as well.

3. when you say tourist accommodation i assume you mean holiday homes rather than any kind of sheltered development with a communal gathering area, reception etc. you will need to find out the councils specific policies in regard to holiday homes, they should have one in their county development plan.

but your very first starting point would be to get a sketch design done up and have a pre planning meeting with the local planner.

1: We would be looking to have a sewage treatment system
    2: Access roads OK, countryside, not too far from town. Would look to drill a well ( Been told theres water underground in the area ) Would connect to ESB but we would be putting solar panels on each cabin attached to battery. ( Brother knows how to do this )
    3: Yes holiday homes but there will be a reception, communal area + I would be living on site in my own home.

The cabin builders have full designs that I can get

Thanks for your help

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Help!!!! wrote: »
    1: We would be looking to have a sewage treatment system
    2: Access roads OK, countryside, not too far from town. Would look to drill a well ( Been told theres water underground in the area ) Would connect to ESB but we would be putting solar panels on each cabin attached to battery. ( Brother knows how to do this )
    3: Yes holiday homes but there will be a reception, communal area + I would be living on site in my own home.

The cabin builders have full designs that I can get

Thanks for your help

1. Theres no guarantee that will be acceptable, far from it actually. A lot will depend on where you are discharging to ie if its to ground it depends on very favourable percolation test results, the water table depth, the standard of output from the treatment system, the separation distances to wells, water courses, other systems etc. Who will maintain the system?

2. will the bored well be able to sustain min 7 houses?? thats quite a draw in the height of summer. again, this may not be an acceptable situation.

3. you will need to ensure that the 'log cabins' comply fully with all the irish building regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Treepole

degetme wrote: »
    Hi folks
    got final grant of permission for a bungalow month ago now. Could changes be made at back of house like make a window bigger or take out more blocks and replace with glass to leave in more sunlight? No major changes. Just to leave in more sunlight. Site in a rural area with no other house near by.

Far from an expert but maybe this could potentially be dealt with as a minor alteration during the construction phase. I believe there is some lee-way for the above, but you would need to discuss it with your engineer, something about them signing off on the build as being substantially in compliance with planning permission and listing any minor alterations which were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭lillycakes2

What proof of address (for local needs ) to you need to supply to the council? i have lived with my parents all my life, but utility bills are addressed to them, not me ?i have school records, bank statements, tax and insurance letters and education records from college to my home address, will this do , does it have to back date for 10 years?

What proof of address (for local needs ) to you need to supply to the council? i have lived with my parents all my life, but utility bills are addressed to them, not me ?i have school records, bank statements, tax and insurance letters and education records from college to my home address, will this do , does it have to back date for 10 years?

Contact the Planning Department to find out what information/proofs they look for.

Does anyone know the definition of a Berm is, in relation to planning here?

Our boundary needs to be
    1. Sod and Stone
    2. Natural Stone
    3. Berm with indigenous hedge.

Now everywhere I look I can not get dimensions (height/depth/angle of elevation) or examples of a compliant berm.
    Been on the local planning, who do not know. They put me onto the area planner who dismissed the call and said e-mail it in and she might get to it within the next 6 months or so (God how I would be fired for such comments to a client/customer)

Basically I want to put down the hedge and fence it on top of the berm, while keeping the berm elevation as low as possible while still staying on the right side of specifications.

There is no specs, it's just a grassed earthen mound, with the hedge planted on top, a proper garden centre can advise.

• Advertisement

There is no specs, it's just a grassed earthen mound, with the hedge planted on top, a proper garden centre can advise.

Am I OK to fence it too?

I don't see why not, but what do you need a fence for? A proper mound is over a foot and a proper hedge beats any fence

I don't see why not, but what do you need a fence for? A proper mound is over a foot and a proper hedge beats any fence

Toddlers, while the hedge grows in

Toddlers, while the hedge grows in

That'd be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭morrissey1307

I know you need planning permission for a mobile home / modular cabin in a back garden but what's the likelihood of it being granted?

If not granted, why? What criteria do the LA / Council go by?

Size / occupants / connections to services etc?

Note - just looking into this as a possible option in the future and it'll be on the in-laws property. It's got a mahoosive garden to the rear and with access to a laneway out the back and further out onto the main road. They bring the car around the back and park it there when not in use. They completely own it and it's been mortgage free for decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bemak

Quick question about Wayleaves/Burdens on land.

I'm preparing a planning application for a friend. He is getting a site from his brother (farmer) subject to grant of planning so I'm including a letter from the brother in the application permitting the planning permission for a new house on his land. All standard enough.

However we just noticed on the land registry website this morning that there is a 'burden' on a portion of the site which permits the brother access to a septic tank that is just beside the site. Unfortunately we can't omit the wayleave from the application boundary as we have to cross it for the new site entrance. The location of the site entrance is fixed as it is the only position where we are achieving the required sightlines.

The brother has no problem or issue changing the wayleave to suit the site layout so my question is - can I get him to revise his letter permitting the application on his lands to also say that he will be happy to renegotiate a new wayleave should we receive a grant of permission?

That would seem like the logical thing to me as there would be no point trying to move the wayleave first if there's a chance we won't get planning but any advice is greatly appreciated.

bemak wrote: »
    Quick question about Wayleaves/Burdens on land.

I'm preparing a planning application for a friend. He is getting a site from his brother (farmer) subject to grant of planning so I'm including a letter from the brother in the application permitting the planning permission for a new house on his land. All standard enough.

However we just noticed on the land registry website this morning that there is a 'burden' on a portion of the site which permits the brother access to a septic tank that is just beside the site. Unfortunately we can't omit the wayleave from the application boundary as we have to cross it for the new site entrance. The location of the site entrance is fixed as it is the only position where we are achieving the required sightlines.

The brother has no problem or issue changing the wayleave to suit the site layout so my question is - can I get him to revise his letter permitting the application on his lands to also say that he will be happy to renegotiate a new wayleave should we receive a grant of permission?

That would seem like the logical thing to me as there would be no point trying to move the wayleave first if there's a chance we won't get planning but any advice is greatly appreciated.

I just rang a planner for advice and they said that it's not a planning issue so they won't be too concerned about it, but best acknowledge it with a letter as I had said I would to remove any doubt.

Are you providing land registry maps with the planning application? If you are not then imo there is no need for the wayleave to be shown or mentioned in the application at all.

Are you providing land registry maps with the planning application? If you are not then imo there is no need for the wayleave to be shown or mentioned in the application at all.

I have to show the brothers entire landholding but I'm not going to incur the cost of purchasing land registry maps just to for that purpose. I was just going to outline everything on an OS Map or similar which has worked fine before - although that was for a different CoCo.

I think the purpose of identifying the entire landholding is so that they can check to see if there were any other applications made on same.

• Advertisement

Yup - identifying the land-holding is par for the course - an OS Map with a blue line has sufficed for me on most occasions. Once or twice we were asked for Land Registry proof.

Advertisement