Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What's That Song" Thread [ PLEASE READ ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wish the SEC would provide the names to the tracks they play in listening exams, I love many of the songs/music they play and download them for myself when I go home. Here's two in particular off the top of my head that I could not find the names to. I'd appreciate the help thanks.

2012 Q6 excerpt 1a and excerpt 2.

https://leavingcertmusic.weebly.com/q6-unprepared-listening-excerpts.html

• Registered Users Posts: 71,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Wish the SEC would provide the names to the tracks they play in listening exams, I love many of the songs/music they play and download them for myself when I go home. Here's two in particular off the top of my head that I could not find the names to. I'd appreciate the help thanks.

2012 Q6 excerpt 1a and excerpt 2.

https://leavingcertmusic.weebly.com/q6-unprepared-listening-excerpts.html

1a is ‘Greensleeves’, 2 is ‘The Toredors Song’ from Bizet’s ‘Carmen’.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Help...hearing this song on a few promos and intros etc lately...like the sound of it so wouldn't mind knowing who's responsible for it

https://youtu.be/oldHxwcuiIw

Edit...sorted...it's Gosh by Jamie xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Anyone know the music in this. Sounds a bit like Einaudi but can’t find it on Spotify.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sounds a bit like Dirk Maassen, but I wouldn't know which piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Anyone know what the name of this song is? It somehow sounds familiar, like it might be a classical piece of music. And don't ask how in jesus' name I ended up playing chinese chess on the NES, I'm probably a bit dysfunctional I admit. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Anyone know what the name of this song is? It somehow sounds familiar, like it might be a classical piece of music. And don't ask how in jesus' name I ended up playing chinese chess on the NES, I'm probably a bit dysfunctional I admit. :pac:

Some of it sounds like the beginning of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

vektarman wrote: »
    Some of it sounds like the beginning of this.

oh yeah! Apparently that's from a Russian romance song "Dorogoi dlinnoyu", and a lot of China borders Russia or is quite close culturally. That may well be why I think it's familiar, good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Hi I hope someone can help me with this, as it's really annoying me and it's impossible to look up.

The song begins with silence and a very distinct, heavy sigh. This is then followed by a long intro (guitar) and a relatively conventional rock song (a bit downbeat and tense though).

I can't remember a single word of the lyrics. The opening chord is played on repeat in my head though. Nor can I remember the band name!

The sleeve art/ cover art (the picture that was used for the 'official' video on youtube) looked quite similar to this
    https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/e/e6/Fallout4_Render_SynthGen2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That image reminds of a Pink Floyd and also a Linkin Park album cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That image reminds of a Pink Floyd and also a Linkin Park album cover.

Nope definitely not Pink Floyd. :D Much more recent band, and quite a fast beat, far faster than a lot of PF's songs.

Edit: Finally found it! Decyfer Down - Fading

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was thinking "Guns N Roses - So Fine" before I read that you got it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Now 2012 Q5 excerpt 2 (which can be seen in the link below)

https://leavingcertmusic.weebly.com/trad-past-paper-listening-excerpts.html

Thank you very much in advance again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now 2012 Q5 excerpt 2 (which can be seen in the link below)

https://leavingcertmusic.weebly.com/trad-past-paper-listening-excerpts.html

Thank you very much in advance again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sorry if it's a bit vague, but anyone remember the name of the song played in "Reeling in the years 1998" during the piece about the Omagh Bombings? That episode of reeling in the years is no longer available so I'm really out of options here! Can't remember it for the life of me.

*Just as I clicked post, I remembered it, it's called "Teardrop"*

I remember a bare-footed Juliet Turner singing "Broken Things" during the memorial service/funeral. Haunting, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Sorry if it's a bit vague, but anyone remember the name of the song played in "Reeling in the years 1998" during the piece about the Omagh Bombings? That episode of reeling in the years is no longer available so I'm really out of options here! Can't remember it for the life of me.

*Just as I clicked post, I remembered it, it's called "Teardrop"*

Massive Attack - Teardrop?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7K72X4eo_s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

I'm having a mare trying to find out the name of this song in this video - have a feeling it used to be on the coverage for BBC Snooker back in the day but cannot for the life of me find it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqA9-gGiU2F/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭droidman123

Same As wrote: »
    I'm having a mare trying to find out the name of this song in this video - have a feeling it used to be on the coverage for BBC Snooker back in the day but cannot for the life of me find it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqA9-gGiU2F/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Sounds like take five by dave brubeck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Sounds like take five by dave brubeck

Gentleman, morning saved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

This particular song is driving me to the brink of insanity as I cannot find any clue to it online, it's a somewhat psychedelic/folky 60s or 70s sounding tune, heard for the first time a couple nights back on Radio Na Life, one of the lyrics (by a female vocalist) goes as follows,

"Accidents can happen to anyone, there's no such thing as evil, but tell that to the self centered man"

Obviously I've googled the above with no result, so it's an obscure one, could also be a new track just with a retro sound, many thanks if anyone can help identify it.

Googling the following:

lyrics "tell that to the self centered man"

Got it for me ;)

Sometimes you have to mix up the words incase you've misheard them or incase they aren't written as you hear them on lyric sites, or leave out some words etc :)

cormie wrote: »
    Googling the following:

lyrics "tell that to the self centered man"

Got it for me ;)

Sometimes you have to mix up the words incase you've misheard them or incase they aren't written as you hear them on lyric sites, or leave out some words etc :)

You absolute legend, thank you so much.

No prob :D Radio Na Life play some amazing tracks, not all of them are recognised by Shazam/Soundhound so I know the pain of potentially losing a track you love :pac:

EDIT: Actually, my friend gave me a good tip for keeping notes. Create a whatsapp group with yourself and another friend, then remove the friend and you have yourself a nice little place to take notes, record audio messages etc :D Gonna go set it up now so I have it for my next unrecognised track :)

Another idea is to take note of the time you hear a song, and then ask the radio station directly.

New Home wrote: »
    Another idea is to take note of the time you hear a song, and then ask the radio station directly.

Have emailed them before on 2 separate occasions, but no luck :(

Darn.

Absolutely fell in love with the song on first listening, it's out of date, psychedelic, somewhat kitsch, but there's just a raw sincerity to it that I love. Thank you so much for identifying it for me, obscure is putting it mildly. Just looking up Stan Hubbs, the only known person to OD on weed, now that's rock and roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Any ideas what this song is please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Any ideas what this song is please?

Well this is a toughie...

Advertisement