Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Docklands Station of no use for most commuters

Options
  • 21-03-2007 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

I think this thread is different to the other thread on the opening of the station.
    I mean it is in the middle of no where
    Only people who work within spitting distance will use it
    It doesnt even go through Drumcondra (the 1st real usefel dumping ground for commuters)
    It is a dangerous part of town being basically sheriff st
    A return ticket to the town stations -connolly/pearse/tara dont work on the machine there if you return from docklands. connolly/pearse/tara are same price from most suburbs to suit this.
    Buses to City centre - what buses and are they designed with the station in mind?
    Commuters I hear are snubbing the trains in the morning and have no need to go there in the evening
    Resultant traffic choas in D15?
    anyhow let me know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

A quick look around the station will give you some idea of the development happening in this area. It is probably one of the biggest areas of redevelopment in Dublin in a long time. When finished it will increase in population by 25,000 people, with 11,000 new homes and see the creation of 40,000 new jobs. It will also see the arrival of sports and civic facilities so public transport is a key factor in all of this.

So many times in the past have we seen developments spring up around Dublin (Dublin 15 as you mention it) without any thought of public transport. The fact that it is being developed first will hopefully put off many potential residents/workers from using their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not over the moon about it, but you are knocking it without knowing it.
    dodgyme wrote:
    I mean it is in the middle of no where
    Lots of people live in hte Docklands and lots more will soon.
    It is a dangerous part of town being basically sheriff st
    Not really. I've been down there at least 10 times and haver never had problems.
    A return ticket to the town stations -connolly/pearse/tara dont work on the machine there if you return from docklands. connolly/pearse/tara are same price from most suburbs to suit this.
    There are teething problems, but just talk to the cashier.
    Buses to City centre - what buses and are they designed with the station in mind?
    Bus stops across the road. Route 93 (meets every train) to O'Connell Bridge, route 151 (every 10 minutes) to Clondalkin and the number 90 is around the corner on Mayor Street (not really convenient, but its there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Can we sticky this for 3/4 years?
    Watch this space and see the changes, the boom shall continue and this area will change rapid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

MiniD wrote:
    A quick look around the station will give you some idea of the development happening in this area. It is probably one of the biggest areas of redevelopment in Dublin in a long time. When finished it will increase in population by 25,000 people, with 11,000 new homes and see the creation of 40,000 new jobs.

I'm being picky but how many people in the Docklands area will use the train? Even if they did work in west Dublin, there some no feeder services (that I know of) to get them from the train line to the work. Most of them will drive or take the bus because of this. Blachardstown SC is probably the closest large employment centre to the line and it's still a decent walk from the line.
    It will also see the arrival of sports and civic facilities so public transport is a key factor in all of this.

This is true but given that the station will only be around for ten years and the conference centre is a slow moving affair, it's a mute point.

On the other hand, this city is so starved of public transport infrastructure that any money is worth spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I think what most people dont realise is that this has been sold in Dublin15 as a solution to some of the trains crowding issues when infact all it is, is a consolation prize to ensure that the dart services are not interrupted to a greater level by trains coming into connolly and the restricted signalling there. As another poster pointed out, how many people will take the train to west dublin when they live in the docklands - very few. And there are no feeder serices at coolmine or clonsilla?. e.g if you work in all of the big companies around damastown, even though it is ten -15 mins in a bus to clonsilla - there is none!?. To walk would take 1hour and ten minutes. This station should be named like the one in london except it should be Dockjlands Sh*te rail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Well, for a transport wasteland like Meath, we'd love to be able to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Has anybody noticed that the morning trains seem to be alot busier since the introduction of the Docklands train.

I get on the train at 7.55am at Coolmine and the squash these last few morning has been unreal. Its normally busy but it is beyond ridiulous lately.

I was literally standing at an angle for the whole journey and absolutely no room to adjust my footing. It was desperately uncomfortable and extremely dangerous should the train have to come to a sudden halt.

To make matters worse the usual ignorant individuals at the Castleknock station shove their way onto train. This morning a couple of us had to say to them there wasn't any room and that they should try the next carriage but they ignored this request and pushed their way on. I nearly fell over and one woman got an elbow in the side of the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

The docklands station is not in an ideal location but some people here are going way too far with their irrational complaining.

For starters, the station is at most, 7-10 minutes walk from Connolly station. If I was waiting for a train at coolmine, and had a choice of getting a train to the docklands immediately, or wait 20 minutes for a train to Connolly, I would take the first train and still be 10 minutes ahead by the time I walked to Connolly station from Docklands.

Furthermore if I had the choice of an uncomfortably crowded train or a train where I could sit and read, I would happily pay the additional price of a 7-10 minute walk for the latter.

Of course if the weather is really bad, it might be a different story, but that would not be very often.

And even if I didn't walk, there are still excellent bus connections from the Docklands station to O Connell street.

So the people who say that this train only suits those who work in the IFSC are simply wrong and moreover they are just being ignorant for making these kneejerk reactions without thinking them out.
    I disagree as I have explained above. What do you base this on?
    Resultant traffic choas in D15?

How can more trains add to road traffic? Even if not a single person were using any of the additional 30 trains a day, it would still not add a single car to the roads. Why is it that some people do their best to find reasons to criticise things. Its like the people who said when the luas was launched, that we should have built more bus lanes instead of building the luas.

It seems people are driven by a need to complain and whine, no matter how rational or irrational their points are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Enigma365 wrote:
    How can more trains add to road traffic?

I believe they were referring to the increased number of level crossing closures on some of the roads in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

Enigma365 wrote:
    For starters, the station is at most, 5-7 minutes walk from Connolly station. If I was waiting for a train at coolmine, and had a choice of getting a train to the docklands immediately, or wait 20 minutes for a train to Connolly, I would take the first train and still be 13 minutes ahead by the time I walked to Connolly station from Docklands.

That's assuming you work in the city centre. It's not much use for people making onward train connections. In fact, I'm fairly sure those people simply don't have the option of using the docklands as it would require a separate ticket as well as the time spent walking between stations and getting from outside Conolly to the right platform.
    How can more trains add to road traffic? Even if not a single person were using any of the additional 30 trains a day, it would still not add a single car to the roads. Why is it that some people do their best to find reasons to criticise things. Its like the people who said when the luas was launched, that we should have built more bus lanes instead of building the luas.

As has been explained before, the new trains have resulted in the level crossings along the Maynooth line being closed more often at rush hour. This has led to worsened traffic in the area but the fault lies entirely with the LA for not bridging the line before now.

• Advertisement

As has been explained before, the new trains have resulted in the level crossings along the Maynooth line being closed more often at rush hour. This has led to worsened traffic in the area but the fault lies entirely with the LA for not bridging the line before now.

Fair enough, I didn't realise this. I would hope and imagine though that 30additional trains per day would easily outweigh this negative. That's not to say that the level crossings problem should not be resolved.
    That's assuming you work in the city centre. It's not much use for people making onward train connections. In fact, I'm fairly sure those people simply don't have the option of using the docklands as it would require a separate ticket as well as the time spent walking between stations and getting from outside Conolly to the right platform.

Certainly, the docklands trains are much better suited to those working in the North City centre, and parts of the South City centre. However, this is likely the bulk of the people taking the train, and is a substansially larger group of people than just those who work in the IFSC.

Train connections through Connolly via Docklands are not ideal, but they are certainly doable. It should be max, a 15 minute walk between the docklands station and your platform at connolly. I do agree with you that through-ticketing should be allowed for such connections.

Can I ask, has anyone taken a docklands train? Are they busy? Has any difference been noted on the non docklands train?

Those who take the train to work via the maynooth line, would you take a docklands train if it came along, or would you specifically wait for a Connolly bound train?

Well enigma it seems others have answered my point earlier. I still stick by the comment it is only of use to those working within spitting distance of the station. My missus has infromed me that there is a snubbing of this train in clonsilla because the big issue with D15 commuters is to get to connolly or drumcondra for access to eastpoint by either walking or dart. and the other want to go on to pearse for access to places like mount st or to get the great luas to dundrum or sandyford. Getting from Docklands to the Stephens greeen luas is no joke on a wet morning, even with your fast legs.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

I use the docklands train every day and it is a godsend. house to work desk in about 17 minutes, cant complain with that. i get on in broombridge and even managed to get a seat on way in a few mornings which i never got in using the regular train to connolly for over 2 years(did well to even get on the train when it pulled into station and was crammed in then all the way squashed up against the door as people who got on train earlier read their Metro in comfort standing a bit further back).

Given time the docklands will become more popular when all offices being built around the IFSC/docklands open. Unlike the maynooth train which wasnt improved on even though 1000's of apartments and houses were thrown up along the navan road/clonsilla areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Enigma365 wrote:
    Can I ask, has anyone taken a docklands train? Are they busy? Has any difference been noted on the non docklands train?

I get various permutations of trains from Leixip, Maynooth and Enfield and I have noticed a difference once the train gets to Coolmine. There isn't a massive decrease in people getting on at Coolmine, but there certainly are less.

I still stick by the comment it is only of use to those working within spitting distance of the station. [People] want to go on to pearse for access to places like mount st or to get the great luas to dundrum or sandyford. Getting from Docklands to the Stephens greeen luas is no joke on a wet morning, even with your fast legs.

That just sounds like ignorance. The station serves, both my foot and bus, a large portion of the North City Centre and smaller parts of the south city centre. I agree that you probably wouldn't take a train to docklands if you were going to Stephens Green or Mount Street, but that does not automatically equate to the station being only useful to the IFSC.

Btw, Docklands to Pearse Station is the same walking distance as Pearse Station to Stephens Green luas. If people are so happy to walk from Pearse to the Luas for a connection, why wouldnt they walk from Docklands to Pearse or Connolly for a connection?

Btw, Docklands to Pearse Station is the same walking distance as Pearse Station to Stephens Green luas. QUOTE]

---> but docklands to luas is double that?, which is my point, it is in the IFCS which has the river to one side, sheriff st the other and the port/sea on the other side. the Final side is the city where people want to go so it is useless to anybody if they are not going to the docklands.

dodgey69 wrote:
    I use the docklands train every day and it is a godsend. house to work desk in about 17 minutes, cant complain with that. i get on in broombridge and even managed to get a seat on way in a few mornings which i never got in using the regular train to connolly for over 2 years(did well to even get on the train when it pulled into station and was crammed in then all the way squashed up against the door as people who got on train earlier read their Metro in comfort standing a bit further back)..

This is my point. With Latency and a limtied service it should be packed and the fact that you are one of only a few people that find it usefull is my point
    dodgey69 wrote:
    Given time the docklands will become more popular when all offices being built around the IFSC/docklands open. Unlike the maynooth train which wasnt improved on even though 1000's of apartments and houses were thrown up along the navan road/clonsilla areas.

Do you actually know where the trains come from? - I will give you a clue , they are from the maynooth line

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

dodgyme wrote:
    useless to anybody if they are not going to the docklands.

thats the whole idea!,its 15 min walk to o'connell st,same to tara st.

dodgyme wrote:
    Do you actually know where the trains come from? - I will give you a clue , they are from the maynooth line.

what i meant was there are now eatra trains on because of the docklands station. if it wasnt open there would be no extra trains on when its obvious more and more people will use the train when all the apartments open on river road, etc.

no ones asking you to use the docklands station if you feel so strongly about it!

dodgey69 wrote:
    thats the whole idea!,its 15 min walk to o'connell st,same to tara st.!
    and why would you want to go to tara st?, oh yes to use public transport!
    O.connell st,well that is half that from connolly - see my point!
    dodgey69 wrote:
    no ones asking you to use the docklands station if you feel so strongly about it!
    oh great , finally the attitude which is the reason we have such a crap transport system. 'no one asking me to use it' - classic! I like others in this city have a vested interest in the transport system as a generally green citizen who thinks that we need to be pushed out of our cars with a proper choice of transport option to get to where we need to be , so lets cut the crap. That civil service attitude is the problem, if it suits me, grand.

And as for the river road residents, well lets see if there is any room for them to get on the connolly/pearse trains. The docklands may be there only option but that is again like your attitiude of 'no ones asking you to use the docklands station' so even if they need to be somewhere else, shag them sure no is asking them to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Enigma365 wrote:
    Fair enough, I didn't realise this. I would hope and imagine though that 30additional trains per day would easily outweigh this negative. That's not to say that the level crossings problem should not be resolved.

Due to the fact the stations are all alongside the canal workarounds for the level crossings will not be easy at all.

The additional trains are already seeing roads closed off for 30 mins in the morning for those who travel locally to thier jobs either by car or by bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

apparently the docklands station will only have a shelf life of 10 years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dr.Bunson

It is forward planning to build the station before the buildings in that area are complete, but it's no forward planning to make it only accessible to the residents of Dublin 15??? They should have looped the line through Connolly, or run a commuter service between the two stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

At present it is physically impossible to fit more trains into Connolly/the loop line to Pearse in the morning peak, until the city centre resignalling project takes place in 2008, so no matter how much you wish for that it's not going to happen.

There was a need for more trains on the western line, and the construction of this station facilitates that. There are two bus routes linking Docklands Station with the City Centre, the 93 and the 151 (the former meeting every train and the latter every 9 minutes).

Anything that alleviates the crush should be welcomed, and the Clonsilla-Docklands services, whilst not ideal for everyone, does appear to be alleviating the pressure on the existing Maynooth-Pearse services.

Btw, Docklands to Pearse Station is the same walking distance as Pearse Station to Stephens Green luas.

---> but docklands to luas is double that?, which is my point, it is in the IFCS which has the river to one side, sheriff st the other and the port/sea on the other side. the Final side is the city where people want to go so it is useless to anybody if they are not going to the docklands.

My point is that if people are willing to walk the 15 minutes from Pearse to the Stephens Green Luas on a daily basis, then they will be willing to walk 15 minutes from the docklands station to places like westland row, pearse street, merrion square, grand canal dock, o connell street, and many other parts of D1 and D2. In other words the docklands station serves more than the IFSC and the docks, just as Pearse station serves more than Pearse street and Westland Row.

In any case, I agree that the docklands station is far from ideal but as KC61 explains above, it is better than nothing. The only alternative to the docklands station would be to take your attitude, do nothing and wait for 2-3 years until more trains can be sent into Connolly. Would you prefer they did that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Dr.Bunson wrote:
    It is forward planning to build the station before the buildings in that area are complete, but it's no forward planning to make it only accessible to the residents of Dublin 15??? They should have looped the line through Connolly, or run a commuter service between the two stations.

How do you think they could do this?
    its not possible with commuter trains.
    One question, and i should know this but anyway. which way does the train go to the docklands station? back of hill 16 or the canal end? I was just curious because a previous poster said that it doesnt go through drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,722 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think a lot of you are missing the OP's point... namely that this station is great for people who work in the immediate area, but of no real benefit to anyone else - just as the existing trains aren't much good to the greater Blanchardstown area!

I used to get the train from Coolmine to Connolly/Pearse, then a DART to Shankhill (side note: generally this took anywhere from 90 mins to 2 hours onaverage. When I got the car I could do it in under an hour - and that was via the quays/city cente to the N11).
    This new train/station would be useless to me for example. And whilst of course, you can't please/serve everyone, the whole selling point of Public Transport is SUPPOSED to be (or should be!) fast, cheap and efficent - a 15/20 minute walk JUST as far as O'Connell St in our variable weather conditions is hardly a selling point. Neither is asking people to pay more for a shuttle bus and braving the city centre/quays traffic to (in a lot of cases) make another connecting service anyway.

The existing trains empty out most at Drumcondra and Connolly which suggests THAT'S where/have they want to go. People want to get from A to B as fast and hassle-free as possible. Making them go through point C, D and E in between however, because some civil servants reckon it's the "best" solution (read: quickest and short-term.. foresight seems to be a dirty word in this country's planning in general) isn't gonna work.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

People are missing the long term view. Development in the North Docklands is about to explode. Just today they got the go ahead to build a 120 meter high apartment building at the point theater, along with a shopping center and 12 screen cinema.

10s of thousands of apartments are being built in the area along with 100s of thousands of square meters of office space. This is likely to become one of the busiest parts of the city center, the Manhattan or Sydney Harbor of Dublin.

Now instead of what they normally do and build lots of houses and offices without any infrastructure they are taking the long view and building the infrastructure now when it is easy and cheap.

The OP complains that this is only useful for people heading for the IFSC area, but within a few years, this will be the area where most people heading for the city center will actually want to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

bk is right. Spencer Dock and Point Village combined is Ireland's single largest development in history. These areas will be completly populated within 6 years.

And don't forget about the huge developments in the south docks, Macken Street liffey bridge to link north and south is now under construction.

The area will experience and population sonic boom over the next decade. The Docklands station will not go to waste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

dodgyme wrote:
    A friend of mine is obviously a world class spitter. He works off Upper Baggot Street (the part south of the Grand Canal) and gets the Docklands train. It's a 2.25 mile walk (and this is after the guts of a 1 mile walk to the station!). And I was so proud of myself for my 25min/1.75mile walk from Drumcondra to East Point.

He's incorporating some exercise into his daily routine. It's radical and beyond the comprehension of many people but we need leaders. The Irish Heart Foundation would be proud of him.
    dodgyme wrote:
    That civil service attitude is the problem, if it suits me, grand.
    Funny you should mention the civil service, my friend works for the civil service.
    cymro wrote:
    One question, and i should know this but anyway. which way does the train go to the docklands station? back of hill 16 or the canal end?
    It goes under the Canal End of Croke Park, like the DART at Lansdowne Road.

Advertisement