Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland V Italy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

walshb wrote:
    Of course they could. It's being played in Italy and they are a good good team. What would constitute a good performance in your opinion seeing as you think Ireland are so poor. They lose by the bounce of a ball V France, beat Wales in Cardiff and humiliate England and you still aren't happy?

I agree...........But, all any of us are asking is that they play somewhere near to their potential, Ive come walking out of lansdowne rd, murrayfield etc plenty of times in the past preparing myself for a night full of the usual good natured abuse about Irish Rugby, but if we had played well it sort of softened the blow.
    Now we are winning games, without trying and without playing well and you have to wonder are they going to play like this when it really matters. I.e. against the Argies in the autumn. For me anyway, just play like you give a Fcuk and Ill take the result no matter what!
    As far as Italy are concerned, I agree with others here who think we Should win by 20+, Im just afraid we wont:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stupendous Man

Sorry for thread creep

But as it will be our first visit to Rome for the rugby next weekend can anyone reccommend some good watering holes for Friday night and Saturday - post match for the France game and for drinking into the wee hours for Paddys Day?

Cheers
    SM

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry for thread creep

But as it will be our first visit to Rome for the rugby next weekend can anyone reccommend some good watering holes for Friday night and Saturday - post match for the France game and for drinking into the wee hours for Paddys Day?

Cheers
    SM

There's not many in Rome - at least there wasn't the last time I was over. This is where I have watched the other games the last two years. I think this is where we ended up towards the end of the night, but it was a little bit of a blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pred racer wrote:
    I agree...........But, all any of us are asking is that they play somewhere near to their potential, Ive come walking out of lansdowne rd, murrayfield etc plenty of times in the past preparing myself for a night full of the usual good natured abuse about Irish Rugby, but if we had played well it sort of softened the blow.
    Now we are winning games, without trying and without playing well and you have to wonder are they going to play like this when it really matters. I.e. against the Argies in the autumn. For me anyway, just play like you give a Fcuk and Ill take the result no matter what!
    As far as Italy are concerned, I agree with others here who think we Should win by 20+, Im just afraid we wont:confused:

Play to their potential. I think people are missing the point. There are two teams playing and one team will do all in their power to stop the other playing to their potential and vice versa. That's team sport and is what separates winners and. losers. Ireland can play damn well and hard and still lose because the opposition was that bit better, had a little better luck and made less mistakes. That does not automatically mean we are crap and we didn't play well.

It remids me of the time years back when Martin Johnson was moaning after Ireland beat them. He actually said.. ''but they wouldn't give us the ball''.
    That was his excuse. Why can't we be happy to be successful in one of the toughest team sports in the world in a very competitive championship. Not all our games will be like the recent drubbing we gave England, some will be messy, sloppy, amateurish etc etc, but the opponents have a lot to do with this. It's not all down to so called poor play on Ireland's part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Slightly OT but is there any word yet on whether any Italian players are getting cited for the Wales match? If so, which ones?

• Advertisement

padser wrote:
    Slightly OT but is there any word yet on whether any Italian players are getting cited for the Wales match? If so, which ones?

Just Mauro Bergamasco I think. Hearing is today, but haven't heard anything to do with the outcome yet.

http://www.planetrugby.com/sixnations/Story/0,19022,3820_1978091,00.html

Even more OT, I'm surprised that the Scottish replacement prop wasn't cited for punching O'Callaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

eoin_s wrote:
    Even more OT, I'm surprised that the Scottish replacement prop wasn't cited for punching O'Callaghan.

Or the guy who punched O Gara before O Driscoll reacted.

padser wrote:
    Or the guy who punched O Gara before O Driscoll reacted.

If I'm thinking of the same incident, that was when Chris Patterson shouldered O'Gara when he was already being tackled, and just after the whistle went? I think that would have been a talking to at most, if it had been picked up by the officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I didnt see the punch of O'callaghan, what was it like? Usually players are only cited for serious incidents. Its expected your going to get a few punches in rugby.

Was DOC able to continue straight away after the punch?

Oh and Ireland are going into the match -14 points with the bookies.

• Advertisement

I didnt see the punch of O'callaghan, what was it like? Usually players are only cited for serious incidents. Its expected your going to get a few punches in rugby.

Was DOC able to continue straight away after the punch?

I think the clip was linked to in the main match thread. It wasn't a big swing, more of a sly dig. O'Callaghan didn't bother retaliating and carried on. The clip started just at the punch, so it's hard to see if there was any provocation. I'm pretty sure it was the really fat prop that came on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

If it was just handbags he wouldnt be cited over it, not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It actually looked a full solid punch. No one commented on it on TV, even though you could see it clearly on the replays of ROG going to ground pre-choke.

It was Jacobsen, the chubby wastrel. Knowing DOC he had probably been holding him back or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

well todays the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Bad start:(

0-3 to Ireland. Italy the better team so far.

3-3 Italy with brilliant play ,taking a very nice drop goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The lineout is a disaster!! We also need to beware those drop goal opportunities!

It almost looks as though Italy know our lineout codes.

• Advertisement

6-3 . Italy ahead from a penalty.

The sooner they bring on Jerry Flannery the better!

Yeah I was just thinking that.

Its half time and the score is 12-20 , Ireland really dont deserve to be winning.

3 tries to 0 and only 8 points ahead. Scandalous!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,347 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

athtrasna wrote:
    3 tries to 0 and only 8 points ahead. Scandalous!

Not really, the Italian forwards are giving it their all and should be ahead at half time im my opinion.

That said I really doubt if they can keep it up for the full match, Ireland to stretch ahead in the last 20 minutes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Here we go again

That was good play from Ireland ........finaly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Things are looking up :)

[edit] well, apart from o'gara, he's missed a few that he should have gotten

Advertisement