Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland V Italy

Options
  • 10-03-2007 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Who are the underdogs?

We have been going out playing teams expecting to win! And if we don’t we complain as if we are the best team in this tournament. Are performance against Wales was poor, France the same and Scotland was a disgrace, Yeah we walked all over England but that was a rare performance and the fact of the matter is England played their worst game i have ever seen and it didn’t help playing in front of 65,000 Screaming Irish Fans in a stadium where the tension was at its highest! So there are a number of factors to take into consideration for the score at the end of that match im not trying to belittle are win its just i feel we over - rate our rugby team by WE i mean the media and the fans we expect too much.

Italy have just beaten Wales although bad decisions were made by the reff its still a win they destroyed Scotland the team that we beat by 1 little point and they are now on top of the world and probably feel unstoppable! They will be so syked up for this match against us next Saturday (kick off 12.30 btw i think cuz its 1.30 Italy time...cud be wrong) that their momentum and belief could mean we go home ashamed of ourselves...I just feel that Ireland may not be mentally syked up for this match as they see Italy as the Champions of the wooden spoon! but don’t forget we used to be champions of that and look where we are now, the turning point has to start somewhere!

Saying that i think we will win it but it will be closer than we would like, my prediction is 24-20 to Ireland!

Do you think we will do it? or do you think we could get beaten?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Italy are still firmly the underdogs. 2 wins against 2 poor teams. The first arguebly because they were gifted 3 tries in nearly as many minutes. While I don't think we'll put more than 15 on them I will be raging if we lose. Sure Italy have a good, aggressive pack but they've nothing outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Funnily enough I am more confident now than I was before todays games. I think Ireland are in a position again where they need to prove themselves and will be well up for this, italy have some immense forwards but very 1-dimensional and have no plan B......Ireland by 20+ :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Our shocking performance today has shown that we're far from unbeatable...

On the other hand, Italy aren't a particularly creative team, and I think we have more than enough to beat them comfortably.

Really, we just require a better performance from the entire team, which wouldn't be that hard considering how they were against Scotland.

Hopefully they'll come out looking to prove themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

italy are also missing a few big name should affect them big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 oasisfan

italy are also missing a few big name should affect them big time.
    yeah thats true and also there number seven 2day i hear wont be playing due to misconduct must of missed that 2day was only watching bits....still tho there on a high just hope we know it wont be a walk in the park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

oasisfan wrote:
    yeah thats true and also there number seven 2day i hear wont be playing due to misconduct must of missed that 2day was only watching bits
    Yeah, bergamasco punched stephen jones. Ironically went on to score the winning try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I think there is an article in today's Sunday Times written by Stuart Barnes in which he argues Italy haven't improved - the rest of the 6N have declined.

It's hard not to agree. Scotland would have beaten them had they not gifted them 21 points. England have rarely been so poor as they have to date in the 6N. Wales are at a real low point.

Anything other than a comfortable Irish win will mean Ireland haven't improved at all since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's gonna be harder, without POC - http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0311/oconnellp.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

bugler wrote:

It's hard not to agree. Scotland would have beaten them had they not gifted them 21 points.

I wouldnt particularly agree with this. I think italy could of turned the scottish over. Italy were happy to sit back and play the game in their 22 as they knew scotland had very little out wide.

Italy pack are fantastic and very tough. We will need to be excellent up front to get quick ball so the backs can try and run in a few tries.

The fact that there is only a week break should be a help. I am sure the italian and a few drinks last night to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Part of the reason we looked so kack against the Scots is because we allowed them to drag us into their kind of game. If we spread the ball around against the Italians and cut out the idiotic penalties we kept gifting to the Scots then I think we could get a high points win on them.

If it'll be good enough to beat the French to the Championship..... well, i'm not even going to think about that.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

zabbo wrote:
    It's gonna be harder, without POC - http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0311/oconnellp.html

thats a pity, presumably O'Kellys knee still rules him out too. Mick O'Driscoll
    has done alright from the bench but not sure I fancy him playing a whole
    game at this level..

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

P'oC will be a big miss. But i think bergamasco, wrong spelling, will be a bigger miss for the Italians. Ireland by +15

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think it is one that Ireland will win. Our inconsistency is consistent and the Italians may be weakened a bit. But I don't think the gap (+10) will be enough to take France - I am assuming that the Scots will not be able to beat France.

The positive of the loss of POC means that other players get a shout, not ideal but at least they get some playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

i think that a margin of 15 points should be enough (19 total) to take the championship. France will be nervy enough i think, and scotland tend to start pretty well, and if the scots can scrape a few points early on it should be great viewing! i just wish ireland were playing second!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Nah then they might fluff it by playing it safe. At least this way they have to score as much as possible. None of this "We need 20 more points" lark more of "Keep going keep going" lark for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i think that a margin of 15 points should be enough (19 total) to take the championship. France will be nervy enough i think, and scotland tend to start pretty well, and if the scots can scrape a few points early on it should be great viewing! i just wish ireland were playing second!

I don't think this will be enough, maybe if the games were on at the same time but with france knowing what they have to do I think we need 25-30 points on them at the start to have a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Daniel_Daniel

Ehm.... er.... sorry, I don't want to spoil this party, but have you noticed that WE (Italy) might happen to actually win the 6nations?
    If WE beat you by zillions,
    and Scotland beat France by zillions
    and Wales beat England by zillions....
    then we win.
    Unlikely as it may be, it's one of the options. :rolleyes:

You hadn't thought of this, right? Just one match to go and the underdog still has the chance to be on top of the rugby world. :D

Landing down on this planet, I'd let you win by 100 points if this cold prevent the French from winning. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

daveirl wrote:
    Agreed :)

• Advertisement

Hah, yeah. Was screaming my head off and jumping around when Bergamasco went over at the end.

Glad we're playing first, I just know we'd bottle it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And it's becoming more popular according to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Steibhin

Ehm.... er.... sorry, I don't want to spoil this party, but have you noticed that WE (Italy) might happen to actually win the 6nations?
    If WE beat you by zillions,
    and Scotland beat France by zillions
    and Wales beat England by zillions....
    then we win.
    Unlikely as it may be, it's one of the options. :rolleyes:

:D Brilliant! Hadn't thought about that. Italy will have to go on a try fest against the Irish.

I think we need at least a 15pt start against the French to make them nervous. Hopefully Scotland can do us a favour by taking a penalty in the dying minute while they are 17pts down.. I'm sure the Scots would love to do Eddie O'Sullivan a good turn;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Ire need to Lose + 25
    Fra need to lose + 29
    Eng + 13
    Italy -26

At 100:1 Eng is a long shot but

mathematicaly Italy can win it too! Or at least finish level points on top spot.

Italy need the above 3 to lose and put 55 points on Ireland in the process!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flsghujslkuo

Ireland vs. Scotland..... Shocking truly shocking!

We won great... but that was terrible.

C'mon Eddie its time to use the 'squad' you have; you see rotation in soccer all the time and, with no offense intended, it's a girly sport compared to the physical demands of rugby. In soccer teams bring in 'less talented players' sometimes just to change things up and the team, as a team plays better rather than a collection of individuals playing better. I mean it can't be good playing the same team all the time: the team just becomes stagnant.

So I hope O Sullivan brings in a few not so new faces for the Italy game,

N. Best (because he's great)
    Flannery (he's better than Best)
    Murphy (don't do a Brennan on him)
    Trimble (give him a game)
    Reddan (time to blood him)
    MOD (he's coming in anyway)

Best has had a poor season with a poor Ulster.

Flannery would be picked if he was fully fit, he has isn't match fit and has also dropped a bit of weight.

Murphy has bottled every chance he has been given in an Irish jersey.

I'd agree with you on Trimble but wingers don't need to be rotated as much and Hicke/Horgan are in better form.

We don't need to blood Reddan when Boss has been given enough time yet.

MOD isn't of international standard imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Daniel_Daniel

Folks,
    I hope it was clear enough that I wasn’t assuming we’re running for the title. There’s just about the same chances as if I put my cat on the keyboard and have him write “War and Peace” randomly.
    I only wanted to give a different, maybe interesting, certainly UNUSUAL ;) perspective on the match.

You’ll definitely be highly welcome in Italy. You’ll have a nice St. Patrick’s day down here and I bet my arse that if you win with us, ours and yours will meet in the nearest pub screaming for Scotland.

P.S. The player portrayed here
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2007/0312/italy.html
    is Mirco Bergamasco, Mauro's brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭flsghujslkuo

I disagree about not blooding Reddan:

Boss is injured and we all know what stringer can/can't do.

Let's face it Italy are no all blacks.

Let's use this game to play our 'B side', we win the 6N... great, but what if O'Gara or O Driscoll break their legs,

If we don't play our 'B side' now..... when can we give the bench really competitive tests (fudge to the pre-world cup tour... all the teams will wrap their players in cotton wool....worthless)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Let's use this game to play our 'B side', we win the 6N... great, but what if O'Gara or O Driscoll break their legs
    Come on now, chances of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,039 ✭✭✭✭walshb

oasisfan wrote:
    Who are the underdogs?

We have been going out playing teams expecting to win! And if we don’t we complain as if we are the best team in this tournament. Are performance against Wales was poor, France the same and Scotland was a disgrace, Yeah we walked all over England but that was a rare performance and the fact of the matter is England played their worst game i have ever seen and it didn’t help playing in front of 65,000 Screaming Irish Fans in a stadium where the tension was at its highest! So there are a number of factors to take into consideration for the score at the end of that match im not trying to belittle are win its just i feel we over - rate our rugby team by WE i mean the media and the fans we expect too much.

Italy have just beaten Wales although bad decisions were made by the reff its still a win they destroyed Scotland the team that we beat by 1 little point and they are now on top of the world and probably feel unstoppable! They will be so syked up for this match against us next Saturday (kick off 12.30 btw i think cuz its 1.30 Italy time...cud be wrong) that their momentum and belief could mean we go home ashamed of ourselves...I just feel that Ireland may not be mentally syked up for this match as they see Italy as the Champions of the wooden spoon! but don’t forget we used to be champions of that and look where we are now, the turning point has to start somewhere!

Saying that i think we will win it but it will be closer than we would like, my prediction is 24-20 to Ireland!

Do you think we will do it? or do you think we could get beaten?

Of course they could. It's being played in Italy and they are a good good team. What would constitute a good performance in your opinion seeing as you think Ireland are so poor. They lose by the bounce of a ball V France, beat Wales in Cardiff and humiliate England and you still aren't happy?

Advertisement