Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they cities at all?

Options
  • 12-02-2007 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

How many real cities are there in Ireland?
    What defines a city? Is it simply population?
    Having a University or a Cathedral ?
    Put a university/cathedral in Ballivor and it becomes a city? I don't think it's that simple.

You hear of Waterford City, Galway City, Limerick City etc but are they really cities or just glorified towns?

Figures from the 2002 Census.

Dublin City - 495,781
    Cork City - 123,062
    Limerick City - 54,023
    Waterford City - 44,594
    Galway City - 65,832

The capacity of Croke park is 83,200 +/-, how can the entire population of a so called "city" not even fill a sports stadium to 80%?

Is it the grandiose notions of local councillors that creates cities out of what are really towns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hagar wrote:
    How many real cities are there in Ireland?
    What defines a city? Is it simply population?
    Having a University or a Cathedral ?
    Put a university/cathedral in Ballivor and it becomes a city? I don't think it's that simple.

You hear of Waterford City, Galway City, Limerick City etc but are they really cities or just glorified towns?

Figures from the 2002 Census.

Dublin City - 495,781
    Cork City - 123,062
    Limerick City - 54,023
    Waterford City - 44,594
    Galway City - 65,832

The capacity of Croke park is 83,200 +/-, how can the entire population of a so called "city" not even fill a sports stadium to 80%?

Is it the grandiose notions of local councillors that creates cities out of what are really towns?
    Totally agree, but at least we're not as bad as the United Kingdom for renaming Mickey Mouse towns as cities.....City of erm, Newry anyone? City of bloody Lisburn? That's like making a suburb of Dublin, such as say, Tallaght or Dundrum into a city in its own right. Nonsense.

There's no doubt however that the city boundaries deceive us-Dublin really has a much larger population than that contained within the city boundary, as does Limerick and to a certain exent Waterford. I submit that to be a city you should have 100,000+ inhabitants in your metropolitan area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Spare a thought for Kilkenny...Population of just around 25,000 but our 'official' borough boundary is just 8/9000 people!!! Yes we are a glorified town but I like being called a city:D

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

murphaph wrote:
    I submit that to be a city you should have 100,000+ inhabitants in your metropolitan area.
    What makes that a more useful definition than having a cathedral? It seems equally arbitrary.

In the US, a city is defined as being "incorporated" - it elects a mayor and a city council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 irlsurreal

Look at Armagh City which seems a bit strange as well!
    In sligo we're a bit confused-70% of the time the local authorities and local media refer to us as a city(not saying I agree) and then sometimes we're a town!
    Think cities are there moreso for regional development so they need to have cities in certain places.Since there's such a small population in this country some of the cities are going to be smaller in population than one would imagine?
    As far as I know a town can still only become a city if the Queen of England says so-and unless th brits are planning any more invasions I can't see that happening!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

oscarBravo wrote:
    What makes that a more useful definition than having a cathedral? It seems equally arbitrary.
    Not really. I believe Germany uses this figure to define what places get Stadt prefixes. This means when you look at a map and the placename is in all capitals or in a green box (depending how the mapmaker does things) you'll have a fairly good idea of what services/amenities/potential market will be available to you there, whereas the cathedral method gives no information about such things and requires census figures as well as a map. It's much more useful information in 2007 than some historical religious significance a place may have.

• Advertisement

irlsurreal wrote:
    As far as I know a town can still only become a city if the Queen of England says so-and unless th brits are planning any more invasions I can't see that happening!:D

She doesn't do it very often.. (often enough)
    There are many towns in England that have populations of 250k + Northampton for example has tried several times to get city status.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

mfitzy wrote:
    Spare a thought for Kilkenny...Population of just around 25,000 but our 'official' borough boundary is just 8/9000 people!!! Yes we are a glorified town but I like being called a city:D

Kilkenny is tiny. You can walk from John's Castle to the Smithwicks brewery in minutes, which is basically the length of the place. Calling it a village would even be stretching the imagination.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Flukey wrote:
    Kilkenny is tiny. You can walk from John's Castle to the Smithwicks brewery in minutes, which is basically the length of the place. Calling it a village would even be stretching the imagination.:)

Ha ha but Galway and the rest aren't exactly huge either;) !!
    You mean Kilkenny Castle (Johns Castle in Limerick?), the town extends a bit further now than that in fairness..'City' sounds better than town for the tourists too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Schedule 5 of the Local Government Act, 2001 defines which urban areas are cities, etc. Clonmel, Drogheda, Kilkenny, Sligo and Wexford are officially boroughs. Personally, I'd always refer to Kilkenny as a city.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You can take either view. Either the Local Government Act defines cities (as political entities), in which case Kilkenny is not a city, or you define them by Royal Charter, in which case it is (but questions then arise over Galway!!!) Either way, Sligo is not, despite its Unilateral Decleration of Cityhood (check out the "Gateway City" and "City Centre" signs next time you're there.)

Before anyone says anything Royal Charters are still legally binding in ROI, though no more could really be granted. It is getting to the wierd stage where NI will have more cities than ROI though.

Really there should be a logical way (say a population threshold) which would define a city. Problem is that any logical way will either exclude Kilkenny or have the effect of making any medium-sized town in Ireland a city, the latter not really viable for logical purpose and the former not a runner for political purposes. And so the problem will remain. If you think it is a problem, that is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

icdg wrote:
    You can take either view. Either the Local Government Act defines cities (as political entities), in which case Kilkenny is not a city, or you define them by Royal Charter, in which case it is (but questions then arise over Galway!!!) Either way, Sligo is not, despite its Unilateral Decleration of Cityhood (check out the "Gateway City" and "City Centre" signs next time you're there.)

Before anyone says anything Royal Charters are still legally binding in ROI, though no more could really be granted. It is getting to the wierd stage where NI will have more cities than ROI though.

Galway has a Royal Charter dating from 1484, that's why they did the whole 500year anniversary celebration back in 1984.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

murphaph wrote:
    That's like making a suburb of Dublin, such as say, Tallaght or Dundrum into a city in its own right. Nonsense.

Tallaght is actually trying to apply to become a city. (from what i've read in some local papers). They won't though imo.

Edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallest_cities_in_the_United_Kingdom
    St.Davids in Wales is the smallest with nearly 2,000 people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

If Tallaght can be a city then I see no reason why Glanmire can't become one as well. It already has a mayor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Should it not be calculated by Urban area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Jakkass wrote:
    Tallaght is actually trying to apply to become a city. (from what i've read in some local papers). They won't though imo.

Edit:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallest_cities_in_the_United_Kingdom
    St.Davids in Wales is the smallest with nearly 2,000 people

If Tallaght was granted "City status" then it would be the third largest city in the state. As for Dundrum, in my opinion it should be within the City Boundaries.

The big problem with Dublin City is the boundaries don't reflect the current situation, i believe only half of the area within the M50 on the southside is part of the City, the rest been divided between the two county councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dubhthach wrote:
    The big problem with Dublin City is the boundaries don't reflect the current situation, i believe only half of the area within the M50 on the southside is part of the City, the rest been divided between the two county councils.
    I think that statement doesn't show the whole truth. Area is largely meaningless and even population wise, there is a big difference whether you use the South Dublin or DL-R areas. This map shows it reasonably well.

http://www.constituency-commission.ie/Images/map_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Surely it is down to the population a town/city serves as part of its hinterland that really determines whether a town should have city status. Take Dundalk for example, the town officially has a population of 30k or so but serves a population of 100k or so. Within 20 miles there 220k people while within 30 miles there is in excess of 400k people.

Dublin, Waterford, Limerick, Cork and Galway would all be serving more people I imagine - well considering Dundalk is apparently next in line to be granted city status.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It's a scam to help the construction industry, why build motorways if there is only one "real" city in the country.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

So let me get this straight in order to become a city in Ireland you need to either have a cathedral or a university? is there is count on population?

That mean Trim is a city???:confused: or Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

jjbrien wrote:
    So let me get this straight in order to become a city in Ireland you need to either have a cathedral or a university? is there is count on population?

That mean Trim is a city???:confused: or Mullingar?

local governmenht act of 2001 defines what the five cities are

Waterford
    Galway
    Limerick
    Cork
    Dublin

all have city Councils

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cork's population is also grossly underreported by the census as the city boundries are very narrow. Hardly any of its larger immediate suburbs are taken into the city at all. E.g. most of Douglas, large chunks of the Western Suburbs etc. I mean, in the census it officially shrank which couldn't be further from the truth, it's more a tale of a small central core with ageing expensive residential areas and aging council estates. All of the growth is on the fringes.

Dublin's population's often given as the population of the entire county. It's rather more difficult to define the Cork "metropolitan area" as it doesn't have a handy small county to fit into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

Cork's metropolitan area has been clearly defined since the publicaton of the Cork Area Strategic Plan a few years back. It adopted the LUTS area as the metropolitan area. This stretches from Ovens to Midleton, taking in the harbour area. It has a population approaching 300,000. You can view the plan at http://www.corkcity.ie/casp/?reloaded. I think the Greater Dublin Area is harder to define as their are so many counties involved. Also many people are now claiming that it stretches from Longford to Gorey via Athlone and Portlaoise with a population of 1.5 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

silverharp wrote:
    It's a scam to help the construction industry, why build motorways if there is only one "real" city in the country.

Maybe because having only one "real" city in this country is generally not the best thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

icdg wrote:

I would consider it a city. The papers here get quite confused though!
    Front Page: "New Shopping centre planned for City Centre"
    Page 4: "Youth attacks Gardaí with bottle in town centre..."
    :confused:

Anyway. I thought Sligo was given Gateway City Status recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Solair wrote:
    Cork's population is also grossly underreported by the census as the city boundries are very narrow. Hardly any of its larger immediate suburbs are taken into the city at all. E.g. most of Douglas, large chunks of the Western Suburbs etc. I mean, in the census it officially shrank which couldn't be further from the truth, it's more a tale of a small central core with ageing expensive residential areas and aging council estates. All of the growth is on the fringes.

Dublin's population's often given as the population of the entire county. It's rather more difficult to define the Cork "metropolitan area" as it doesn't have a handy small county to fit into.
    hate to continue this argument but it is limerick that is getting the worst deal in underreported population due to the city boundry which is missing like half of the city. As in the 2006 census which showed a population of around 52,000 when the actual figure is around 100,000 and is even claiming us to have less people than Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

All the city\town boundaries are done arseways in this country where they dont include suburbs.
    The CSO has included suburbs in recent listings
    http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/Final%20Principal%20Demographic%20Results%202006.pdf (page 14)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_population

Dublin 1,045,800
    Cork 190,400
    Limerick 90,800
    Galway 72,700
    Waterford 49,200

which look fairer!

On looking up for sizeable towns from http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/2006_prelim_table04.pdf

Swords seems to have 36k
    Navan 27k
    Balbriggan at 16k?

Drogheda has a part in Meath called St Marys, would it be fair to say that Drogheda(29k) including St Marys part in Meath(8.7k) has an urban population of nearly 38,000, that sound right??

Also, Ashbourne does not seem to exist in the census as its not listed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Stats out today from CSO on towns http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/census2006_Table_7_and_12.pdf

Cities are same as above

Drogheda & Dundalk at 35k each followed by Swords at 34k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Scary, so many people living in Louth! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ballyjamesduff up 94% in 4 years :eek:

Whatever happened the nice wee village I grew up in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Cities and towns over 10,000 people (from table 7 of http://www.cso.ie/census/documents/census2006_volume_1_pop_classified_by_area.pdf):

City
    Greater Dublin Area 1,004,614 1,045,769
    Cork City 186,239 190,384
    Limerick City 86,998 90,757
    Galway City 66,163 72,729
    Waterford City 46,736 49,213

Drogheda 31,020 35,090
    Dundalk 32,505 35,085
    Swords 27,175 33,998
    Bray 30,951 31,901
    Navan (An Uaimh) 19,417 24,851
    Ennis 22,051 24,253