Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v France (Match Thread)

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

France would not have missed three tackles in the dying seconds to lose a game. Winners make the most of their periods of possession. It really is to do with mentality. France had the belief they could score. As Brian Moore said Ireland choked it. Ireland should have secured possession from the restart.

what about last year when shaggy got the try in the dying minutes to beat England? if by inches he missed they would have been labelled with a losing mentality, I think this mentality is utter load of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Am going to get loads of abuse here, but seriously though I am not sure why there is such a reverance for this keeping quiet for the kicks. If its a case of showing respect for the player, then why when a high kick is in the ait do you get a whole load of shouting whistling etc trying to put off the player.
    This happens everywhere including Thomond.
    If you ask me as a member of the crowd and are part of that fabled 16th man then why cant you shout and holler to try and gain an advantage, the same as goes on through the rest of the game!!
    Realise I am being a bit of a Devils advocate here (and before anyone asks no I don't whistle boo etc during the kicks)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

komodosp wrote:
    To all the people saying the ref should have allowed advantage, I'll have to watch it again but is it possible that Murphy (was it?) only made the break because the French stopped playing after the whistle was blown?

Even the guy who went haring after Murphy and only pulled up at the half way line?

Watch it again. Murphy picked it up immediately and sprinted downfield. It was the quickest blow on the whistle following an infringement all afternoon. No chance for advantage given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

It was worse than that, Murphy intercepted a pass and ran off, the ball wasn't even on the ground. A bit like ROG's kick being blocked down in Paris last year 'Advantage over !' as the ball left his boot, was blocked down and returned for a try. GRRRR.....

• Registered Users Posts: 36 foz_e_bear

Watched the match again last night...no point in giving out about refs etc. We played poorly at the start and gave france the start they needed. We needed O'Driscoll, Horgan just isn't a centre, he doesn't make good lines in the centre and his handling is ...well wingerish.

Other than that most of the players were pretty gud, Boss was a bit slow out of the ruck, and Leamy was like a rabbit in the headlinghts a couple of times, but he carried well. But is it just me who thought Murphy sucked...and has sucked in an Ireland jersey for God knows how long (yeah he can do the business for Leister tho). Has he not been given enough chances?..there's lads queing up for the back possitions, Kearney for example, Lewis, Murphy ela, and the Lukster...you've had your chance Murph! Yeah he could have scored a try...but check out how many sloppy passes he made, and how he was drifting in far too early etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 foz_e_bear

Webbs wrote:
    Am going to get loads of abuse here, but seriously though I am not sure why there is such a reverance for this keeping quiet for the kicks. ...then why cant you shout and holler to try and gain an advantage, the same as goes on through the rest of the game!!...

Eh! So the kicker can concentrate...it's a mark of respect, we're letting the man do his job in the most effective way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Also, it adds to the atmosphere IMHO. The dead silence with tens of thousands of people there... I don't understand why everyone goes SHHhhhshhhh!!! when watching it in a pub... I suppose maybe they want to replicate the atmosphere there too... or it's like shouting at the players on the telly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

And it really freaks out the southern hemisphere players. They're more comfortable with the barracking that goes on down there, at least that's what they've said in interviews.

Advertisement