Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Things must have changed in the last year in Deanshall then. If your nice to Jerry, he won't ask any questions in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chantal08

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

From a safety point of view i would advise you choose brookefield which is a lot closer to campus aswell. Town is still only about 20 mins walk from the apartments there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chantal08

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

chantal08 wrote: »

From what ive heard both are quite nice accommodation wise but its just the areas they are in differ.As a student of UCC you'll have free access to the Mardyke arena which is a pretty cool sports facility with everything you'll need and is only about 5 mins walk with a shortcut through the building next to brookefield. You'll find that most of the parties will be just around the general UCC area rather than in town as most student housing and accommodation is based close to campus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kay!wilde

i've looked through previous posts on college accommodation in cork, but i'm still undecided about where to go for first year :confused:

i've pretty much narrowed it down to brookfield and farenlea, can someone please tell me what the difference between the two is, pros and cons, and suggest any other places if you think these two are no good.

thanks so much for your help

-kay
    x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sizabletomato

Hi,

Just asking what people make of this form of accommodation at Pope's Quay. I know it's a bit out, but wouldn't mind the walk. Seems cheap enough, just wondering what info I could get on it really.

Thanks!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Celtise wrote: »
    Things must have changed in the last year in Deanshall then. If your nice to Jerry, he won't ask any questions in my experience.

It took me a good 10 minutes to convince him the drink I had in a plastic bag was a present, He then told me to go and drink it across the road and come back and I couldn't cause it was a gift. After ages he finally let me in. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Personally I would recommend brookfield out of those two,
    pros being
    1.that is much closer to main campus and has a fair bit life,

2.Has parking if you need it (you generally have to pay a fee for the year, but its very easy to do without the fee and just park)

3.Has full time security

4. Has a shop on site which does, hot food and general groceries like a corner shop really.

5. In the worst flood Cork has ever seen no apartments got hit, and you got a lovely view of the westgate and vic mills being sunk

Con

1. the security can some times, (depending on the hours) stop large crowds coming in and during rag week and freshers week stop "non residences" but you can sign one person per house memeber in as a guest and then they can enter no problem

2. The bill are all paid for out your deposit firt off which is great but at the end they take 75€ for cleaning charges no matter how clean you leave the place (that is per person per apartment)

3. Some blocks are quite large, Jennings pool is the nicest imo in the whole complex, so aim for thatif you can afford it otherwise the standard rooms are nice too.

How ever i dont know the other that well so someone correct me if im wrong about these being pros over farenlea

if your set on campus accom i would go to brookfield otherwise i would personally adivse a house if you can money manage. find a house here

Either way good look and your in for a fantastic time in UCC, ive just finished 4 years here and i loved every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

Anybody know anything about Davcon Court? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 terbad

Hi all,
    i'm moving to cork in Sep with my girlfriend to start college as a mature student. we're probably gonna rent our own place but was wondering where is best to look, and what traffic is like if we were to rent a few miles outside cork?

greenfly wrote: »
    1. the security can some times, (depending on the hours) stop large crowds coming in and during rag week and freshers week stop "non residences" but you can sign one person per house memeber in as a guest and then they can enter no problem

is that one person per house member all the time? or just dduring rag week? aside from that it sounds quite fair really. i've heard bad things about the prices for washing and things, and also supposedly "paper-thin" walls

havent really heard anything bad about farrinlea, aside from that the couches are uncomfortable, but the prices are a tad high...
    greenfly wrote: »
    Either way good look and your in for a fantastic time in UCC, ive just finished 4 years here and i loved every minute of it.
    and thankyou very much! i hope my time there will be as good as yours ^_^ x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 rachel_koeman

hi kay,

for your own sanity please dont go for farranlea, i lived there last year and it was horrible!! they'll screw you out of your money, the doors dont lock so you get robbed( my ipod got robbed and my neighbours laptop got robbed). the manager is a b***! the rooms are small, the furniture is crap and its very noisy!

brookfield isn't too bad, theres a lovely atmosphere there and everyone seems like a little community!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

kay!wilde wrote: »
    is that one person per house member all the time? or just during rag week? aside from that it sounds quite fair really.

When you sign someone in you do it on a per night basis. Theres a book with a page for each day. During RAG week there are no guests allowed to be signed in for obvious reasons. Its one guest per person up to a max of 4 guests per house

i've heard bad things about the prices for washing and things, and also supposedly "paper-thin" walls

Washing is €3 for a token so to do a load of washing will cost you €6 (wash + dry)

I've lived in Brookfield for the past four years and have worked there for the past three. The main difference to the other campus accoms is its more social than the others. Its more open than the others which are apartment blocks. This means you see your neighbours a lot more and therefore tend to make a lot of friends.

My only negative about the place is the quality of Internet. Its unreliable and when it is working its only good for browsing. My advice on this note would be to get an O2 mobile broadband stick. I say O2 because it has the best reception in brookfield of all the providers (meteor and 3 in particular are shocking there)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

If I were you I would try to look into maybe staying in a house because the prices these apartment complexes charge is out of this world! I have known lots of people staying in Brookfield and they all complained about the security being pricks and also the apartments are quite small. the kitchen/living room is minuscule compared to what you can get in other complexes for the same price. Also another thing about Brookfield which isn't necessarily a downside or anything but a large amount of nurses live there. This means that for the most part that either housemate's or neighbour's are on placement which tends to limit the fun quite a bit!! I have learned this through experience........!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

terbad wrote: »
    Hi all,
    i'm moving to cork in Sep with my girlfriend to start college as a mature student. we're probably gonna rent our own place but was wondering where is best to look, and what traffic is like if we were to rent a few miles outside cork?

If you consider 13 miles a few miles then Innishannon is a lovely place and its quiter than the city, Its about a 20 inute drive in the moring leaving a 7 50 or about 30 leaving at 8- 830 (during school year) but there is only traffic once you hit the city any way so you wouldnt be able to avoid that.

If a few miles is 2-3 miles form ucc try bishopstown.

Thanks for that Patricia, i'll check both them out.
    is there anywhere in the city thats best avoided when it comes to accomadation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

If you consider 13 miles a few miles then Innishannon is a lovely place and its quiter than the city, Its about a 20 inute drive in the moring leaving a 7 50 or about 30 leaving at 8- 830 (during school year) but there is only traffic once you hit the city any way so you wouldnt be able to avoid that.

If a few miles is 2-3 miles form ucc try bishopstown.

Eh... Innishannon is a nice town and all but it wouldn't be the first place to come into my head if I was recommending somewhere to live to a UCC student. The parking situation in UCC has been chronic for a few years now and you are going to have to leave really early to get a space in the park and ride in Dennehy's cross or Pouladuff (and if you don't and end up parking in the student car park it will cost you upwards of €20 a day). If you are a mature student and are on a budget, I would recommend staying as close to UCC as possible.

Parts of bishopstown, wilton, glasheen are all ideal. If you want to stay away from studentland but still relatively close to town/college, then deerpark, turners cross, the near side of the douglas/south douglas roads would all work well for you.

If you want to be out of the city, I would choose carrigaline, rochestown, ballygarvan, belgooly or even Kinsale (but then you are getting into Innishannon-like distances as well as greater expense).

Innishannon FFS! That poster must be on the Innishannon Tourist Board :rolleyes:

What's your budget? What are you looking for? Flat, Semi-D? House-share? Do you want to be near town? Near Amenities?

You will have a big workload next year. I would suggest that wasting 40+ minutes in traffic both ways (no way will you get from Innishannon to UCC in 20 minutes - well, maybe at 3 in the morning if you are driving a formula one car and don't stop for lights etc.) is a waste of your time. Get somewhere on a bus route and you can use the time to review notes/study and get to college relaxed instead of like an antichrist after the best part of an hour in traffic.

:D ha ha ha,
    well when you put like that, somewhere in around the city seems about the only sensible option!
    i'm moving down with my girlfriend, we're thinking a 2 bed house or apartment but maybe try a house share for a while until we get our bearings.
    Thanks for for the wise words mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Shatner

Here you go:

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=912448

A 5 minute walk to UCC, you can be in town in less than 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cornerforward13

I lived in Brookfield for 2 years, never had any problem with it, except if you are living in the 4 bedroom downstairs apartment the kitchen/living room space is absolutely tiny and won't fit 4 people comfortably at all. I agree as well what one poster said above re. internet. The parking there is a good advantage if you have a car. Very close to college as well. You'd get around the security re. extra guests and stuff, we always did, i remember 1 Rag Week we had 6 extra sleeping on floors in our house and dragged 2 traffic cones past the security hut with the security lad inside and he took no notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I would 110% recommend Deerpark, between Friars Walk and Green St. Its an ideal base, ten mins walk from UCC, with proper parking and very good accomodation. Close to shops and all other amenities.

If I were you I would try to look into maybe staying in a house because the prices these apartment complexes charge is out of this world!

i have considered that, but i've decided it'd be better to be living with students for first year, at least. chances are i'll be in a house next year, but i'm worried that if i'm in a house this year, i might miss out on a lot of the social life.
    also, as i'm living in sligo, i can't really afford to go looking at houses in cork. next year, i'll be in the city for the whole year, and will have plenty of time to find out where to stay [=

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

i have considered that, but i've decided it'd be better to be living with students for first year, at least. chances are i'll be in a house next year, but i'm worried that if i'm in a house this year, i might miss out on a lot of the social life.
    also, as i'm living in sligo, i can't really afford to go looking at houses in cork. next year, i'll be in the city for the whole year, and will have plenty of time to find out where to stay [=

Most houses would have other students in them anyway. It's not like you'd get landed in with a family of four or anything.

In fairness, a bus would be €30 at most? You'd save nearly that every week if you went looking at houses now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 I Sleep Diagonal

Hi,
    Moving to Cork in September to start a H.Dip in English and was just wondering if anyone had any advice on where to live. Would love to live with other post grads, hopefully quite near the college. :)
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ciars2010

You shouldnt rush, Im starting back in sept and havnt gottn my accom yet either. Brookfield is pretty expensive, looking for a house is worth while. You will be closer to college, more goin on and way cheaper..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

North Quay Place is horrible! I have lived in two different apartments there and two of my friends have lived there, so I have been in four apartments in the complex. So so so bad. No amount of tidying/cleaning will make the place feel nice. It just has a really horrible, depressing feel to it. And the two women on reception are useless (added bonus is you can simply not pay your rent or bills and they just won't notice because they are so bad at their job). Never been in Brookfield though, but I know people who lived there and liked it.

North Quay Place is in a safe location and is very close to the city centre. It's basically in the city centre - that is its only advantage. Brookfield would be a 20 minute walk from the city centre, but is basically the most convenient student accomodation for most of UCC. Most of the campus is very close to you, as is the Mardyke Sports Arena.

I can understand that if you're coming from another country, living in apartments might be better because it gives you a greater chance of getting to know people. But, it is probably going to be very easy to get a room in a house if you wait until September. Have a look at daft.ie to get an idea of the share options available. I started in UCC in 2005 and back then, you could not find a room in a house near college even if you sold your soul. You needed to know the right people and start looking in January to get a place for next September. Now there is accomodation near the college available all year round. You will have no problem finding somewhere in a house if you wait until you come over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I'd recommend checking the share section of daft.ie. There are usually quite a few ads on there where the people advertising will state that they are postgrad students looking for similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TRAPASARMY

Whats Castlewhite like to live in??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭catiny

Eh it's close to UCC but apart from that it has nothing going for it..

In short.. DON'T DO IT!

Uni Hall and Viccy Mills are good, Brookfield is close enough to campus.

Have a look at some of the other accomodation threads! :)

Advertisement