Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ricadoo

Thanks again for the advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

dorgasm wrote: »
    Ha, nah my youtube account is my real name, why do you ask?! That was tongue in cheek anyway, i've never lived on College Rd, just knew it wasn't the place for mature students at all! :pac:
    ah sry thought u were someone else. Tesco vodka ring a bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Dave47 wrote: »
    ah sry thought u were someone else. Tesco vodka ring a bell?

haha yea it does!! dave ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lauraisginger

I loved Castlewhite, going back again this year, rooms are lovely, double beds,sink,good enough storage. I had no problems with it. You're connected to UCC's wireless network so its generally more reliable, close to college, its great for getting to know your neighbours and having good craic. The majority of friends I met this year I met in Castlewhite, and those who didn't live there loved coming over. There's no ensuites, but I got used to it quick enough, unless you've had one at home you're fairly used to it anyway! Comfy couchs, nice kitchen, only 4 channels but you can watch everything online now anyway! Don't worry about flood damage, all effected appartments were completely renovated, new couches,flooring and fancy flat screen tvs!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭lauraisginger

Quick question, I'm staying in Vic Lodge during my repeats and I just wanted to know if theres wifi in the bedrooms? And if not is there wired or none at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Wired only as far as I know and not sure if they charge separetly for it or not at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Lads, keep this thread about accomodation. Off-topic posts have been deleted, and any further off-topic posts will also be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 fair_bad

I know Abbey wharf student accom have places and people I know who lived there loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kassiopeia

Hi guys,

Just said I'd post this up here as its late in the summer for college accom and some of you might be looking for private accomodation at this stage?

We have 1 single ensuite bedroom available in a 3 bedroom house in cork city centre. The house is on dunbar street just off douglas street. It'd be very handy for UCC/st johns/college of commerce students.

Rent is €285 per/month. Refuse included in the rent.

Two other rooms will occupied myself and another girl, looking for friendly, easygoing guy/girl to share with. Would be perfect for post grad or mature student.

PM me for pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I know that Castlewhite is booked up and they arent taking anymore names for the waiting list.. I booked The Village, seems ok, bit of a walk but I will get over it I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

On another note, isn`t the UCC accomodation list a disaster- have the listings numbers don`t work, and some have not been rented to students in years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JellyBean90

just wanted to say for anyone still looking the spires has rooms available as my little sister just booked in this week. i lived there last year and am booked in again for this yr too.

living there last yr was brilliant…its really close to UCC and town. fairly quiet but still good fun :D wardens are cool. rooms and en-suites are good size. never had problems with management and got my full deposit back. would def recommend it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cotter89

ya, I moved to the Spires last year from Farranlea for my finals and I loved it. Cissys for lunch, Lennoxs for dinner with a handy centra across the road for inbetween cramming sessions ;) And college less than 10mins away! Nuff said..

Have to say Farranlea was great fun for 1st and 2nd year too -yeah the management were painful but if you stay clear of them and party within reason its fine. I made lots of friends and they tend to put 1st years together which helped :p

Happy hunting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 whazup

heading to farranlea for second year and think still spaces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

whazup wrote: »
    heading to farranlea for second year and think still spaces
    wouldn't go back there to save my life tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Just a word of warning about Farranlea they are unreal stingy about their deposit! First they made us pay extra for electricity, even though it is highly unlikely we went over our limit. Then they charged us for any breakages to the cutlery that was provided. This I dont mind, but the amount they charged was unreal. For example They charged us ten euro each per mug which worked out as fifty euro in total for them for one broken object! Have now idea where they do their shopping!
    Also, They said we forgot to clean the roof of the microwave and charged each of us 20 euro to do that... I have a pretty good hunch that that microwave was still dirty to the next lot of students that moved in there!
    In the end I ended up getting about 1/3 of my deposit back. I thought this was just typical of student accommodation until I moved into the Village and got my full deposit back and some left over from the electricity! Much nicer place all around have to say in my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nirzenra

Okay, I've read this whole thread and I'm worried if DeansHall is a good place to stay or not, though, I guess its too late seeing as I have it booked and all...
    Security is a bitch, the walls are paper thin and the laundry service is a complete and utter rip off- thats what I've gotten so far.
    Anybody care to disagree (please)?

Was doing a summer course in UCC over the summer and half the class stayed in Deanshall. They had the worst experience ever. Ants, mould and fossilized condoms on the window sill just to name a few of their problems. Not that scenery is important to us students but overlooking a wall of graffiti isnt exactly a plus factor either. Washers and dryers were meant to be useless alright, one of the lads got his clothes locked in the dryer over the weekend because he went back to the apartment to get something during the cycle and when he came back the whole room had be closed off and management said it would cost him fifty euro to get someone to come back out and open it. Few stories built up like this, bottom line the management arent very helpful!

On a more positive note, Deanshall might pull up their socks for the Sept-May crowd, it might have just been a case of them not being too concerned making an impression on a crowd thatd only be there for three weeks! Also, Deanshall has a brilliant location in relation to town, you are literally 5 mins from any pub or club and you will never need a taxi home. However, college wise if you are going to be located in Brookfield/Pharmacy Building/Western Gate Building this year then you will have a long enough walk ahead of you Im afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

so guys with is the village like to stay for the year in a 5 bedroom house because they are looking at 110 a weak rent with tv an band and all bills there is it nice because
    i will be hopeing to be in my 1st year computer s and well be in the new part of ucc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

nirzenra wrote: »
    Okay, I've read this whole thread and I'm worried if DeansHall is a good place to stay or not, though, I guess its too late seeing as I have it booked and all...
    Security is a bitch, the walls are paper thin and the laundry service is a complete and utter rip off- thats what I've gotten so far.

I lived in Deanshall for 07/08, the places themselves are OK, not amazing, but grand, and if you're in first year it's nice to have bills etc taken care of for you. They are ridiculous with the cleaning inspections though-you'll get a notice saying if the apartment is found to be in an "unliveable condition" then professional cleaners will be called in. Apparently, anything short of absolutely spotless in unliveable, we got failed because we forgot to wipe the inside of the microwave one time.

Security were ok as far as I remember, could be cranky at times but generally decent enough. Those bloody secretaries are another story though, wagons. Location is great if you're on main campus and in first year, ten minutes from college and staggering distance from town, nicce. All in all it's grand for first year really, not terrible but fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

nirzenra wrote: »

Nowhere you end up will be as nice as your family home, and everywhere you could possibly go will throw up the odd problem with management or facilities that could be better or whatever, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The important thing is that you have somewhere to sleep, and in a central location too (this IS important!). Anyway, in my opinion, the important thing is that you get out of the apartment as much as possible and make the most of college life. The grass is always greener and all that, enjoy the year above all else!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

Ok, I don't have time to read through this whole thread so could someone please recommend me good on campus accommodation for a first year. ( I know that the campus accommodation is fully booked but I'm going to join the waiting list and see what happens)

thanks

pbowenroe wrote: »
    Ok, I don't have time to read through this whole thread so could someone please recommend me good on campus accommodation for a first year. ( I know that the campus accommodation is fully booked but I'm going to join the waiting list and see what happens)

thanks

Vic Mills and University Hall are by far the nicest. Modern apts and close enough to college. Stayed in the Village this year, really liked it and would recommend it, not very modern but homely, management staff are nice and they throw in a few extras like dvd players and chorus which stands to you during the year when you have a lot of free time on your hands! Stayed in Farranlea in first year, didnt find it great at all to be honest and quite far away from anywhere on campus. Vic Lodge is quite like Farranlea and also is the same distance wise. (They are more or less beside each other) Castlewhite is in a brilliant location but from what I have heard from others isnt too impressive on the inside. Bit clinical looking but heard they got a revamp so maybe they are better now? They were also really slow to redo the damaged apartments at the time of the flood. Just to keep that in mind in case anything was to happen again like that in the future.

So basically in my opinion, in order of preferance Id advise you to go for....
    Vic Mills -> Uni Hall -> The Village -> Farranlea-> Vic Lodge -> Castle white

Hope that helps!

That's great, thanks for your help.

I've another question that someone can hopefully answer. What is Davcon Court like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 neverthrowacat

Hey,

I'm starting the H.Dip in Music course in September and was wondering if other musicians would like to share accommodation on the northside of the river, near the school of music. Think it'd be good to live with other musicians so that noise won't be so much of a big deal. PM if interested, looking to move into a place in the next fortnight at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 skittlesej

skittlesej wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about Sheraton Lodge? Today's the first I heard about it, know anyone who's lived there? I'm desperate for accommodation at the moment :(

Seriously, anyone at all? Any feedback would be nice. I went to see the place today and it seemed really nice. A bit expensive as I've lived in houses before now, but all the houses I've viewed this year seem to be dumps. I'm getting desperate now of course as my lease for my current house is up in a week..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shellyleon

We have to spare double rooms in a five bedroom, two bathrooms house, all mod cons in quiet estate. Parking available and rent 300 euro monthly, low bills. First and second year students preferably. Non smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭gerp99

Hi, Ill be starting a post grad in History soon and i still have no accom :( Anybody who is looking for a someone to move in with them and has a spare room, feel free to PM me. :) Im a 21 male, easy going and a non smoker. Thanks:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 shellyleon

We have five bed house in quiet estate in Glasheen Rd. All mod cons really nice . We are two female 2nd yr & 1st year non smokers easy going,not party animals. There are two rooms available at €300 per mth each.

Advertisement