Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumper Accomodation Thread *Put ALL Accomodation queries here*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dave47

Everyone may as well stop recommending Vic Mills cos the waiting list is now above 170. Plus they have started restricting the internet- p2p etc.

fwiw im looking for an apartment also and a room mate. PM if interested- obv wud give more details about me, facebook profile etc.

lol people still applying for that place. In a flood prone area and prone to power outages at the first sign of water, along with bad internet. And the waiting list is 170 for this year lolz

Just finished first year law and looking to setup student accomodation with others. Wud regard myself as pretty easy going and fairly tidy etc. Wud be looking for 2, 3 or 4 bed place depending on amount of people obv. PM if interested, obv il provide u with more info as required. Oh yeah and I play online poker as a part-time job so I will be making sure to get a fast internet connection

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Dave47 wrote: »
    Everyone may as well stop recommending Vic Mills cos the waiting list is now above 170. Plus they have started restricting the internet- p2p etc.

The year I first started there, my friend was 200 and something on the waiting list and got in. There was a really long waiting list last year and at the end of it they had empty rooms in September. The price has also gone down this year. Most of the student accommodations restricted p2p as far as I know, but VM didn't until June at least.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah. On the one hand the p2p restriction has helped the internet, on the otherhand u cant use bittorrent and online poker which is bad. Wow didnt know so many people pull out- may yet apply myself

Yeah a lot do because most people on the waiting list find something else and of course first years with cao. I also know people just book as a precaution too incase they don't find a house. Gutted to not be back there this year, was some craic there so I'm coming down for all of september just to wish it a proper send off, lease starts 12:00 on 6th September! :D

I always had trouble with bittorrent there but used vuze/azure all last year without a problem. To be honest I would love if they could tell me how much internet I used to use because I'd say it was a couple of GB on a good week even with the lovely sharing network. Would a proxy server work for the poker? I thought they blocked that years ago there...

I'd ignore the length of the waiting list. Places always open up in August/September with many of the list having sorted alternatives.

The only time I remember the power going was when it was flooded and really it think it was a rather fun time all the same. VM got in underground/indoor swimming pool full of rubbish that people were swimming in!

Also all the student accommodations were flooded around there except farrenlea which is a hell hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's the place to be I you're into having sex with virgins as well.

Nah proxy server impossible imo becos poker is an independent program and sites kinda need to track your IP address. I know the UCC network has the poker banned for years so that rules out a lot of other accomodation too. Thats why im not living there cos i do online poker as a part time job. I think poker has only been banned since june 2010 in vic mills but it cud have been earlier. Oh well, at least they have internet- in brookfield u cant even get a phoneline!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I was framed...somewhat

ya nasty bóllox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

you'd be much better off gettin together with a friend and renting a 2 bed apartment somewhere between college and town - crawford hall, fishermans wharf etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

This will be my 4th year living in Vic Mills. Although I had intial problems with Noel aswell that has been sorted out. The price includes all bills for the year and last year it worked at at €130 per week (inc bills). As far as I know prices were lowered slightly this year. It's a nice place to stay, close to college and Wilton. The apartments themselves are fine, although the windows are a bit dodgy as they don't really seem to keep the heat in. The blocks behind Centra are the nicest (G,H,I) as they're the newest.

But overall it's grand. There's a reason I've stayed for so long! Oh and the network is also a great plus too. You can connect to other laptops and hard drives and take films, tv shows, music etc off them. Only a few of us share on the network and I'm one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jumanji!

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    This will be my 4th year living in Vic Mills. Although I had intial problems with Noel aswell that has been sorted out. The price includes all bills for the year and last year it worked at at €130 per week (inc bills). As far as I know prices were lowered slightly this year. It's a nice place to stay, close to college and Wilton. The apartments themselves are fine, although the windows are a bit dodgy as they don't really seem to keep the heat in. The blocks behind Centra are the nicest (G,H,I) as they're the newest.

But overall it's grand. There's a reason I've stayed for so long! Oh and the network is also a great plus too. You can connect to other laptops and hard drives and take films, tv shows, music etc off them. Only a few of us share on the network and I'm one. ;)

I'd have thought you'd have been on boards a good while at this stage now Nicole-lost :D

I'm famous! :pac:

Haha, no, I used to just randomly browse but I said "Shur feck it, I might aswell join".

LOL I will be back over the year to visit, must remember to bring my HD now I know there will be someone still of worth on it!

Aw cheers! :o

No bother, pity lost is gone though. :( I tried to share what ever I had but it wasn't of worth to most.

I might be back there again sharing away....I really should leave vic mills at this stage I've been there way too long! :(

• Advertisement

Nah, be an eternal student! That's my plan anyway! Fifth year in UCC this September, woohoo! :D

NicoleL88 wrote: »
    Nah, be an eternal student! That's my plan anyway! Fifth year in UCC this September, woohoo! :D

Last year was my 5th...jokeshop like!!

Oh dear... hmm perhaps you should feck off then :pac:

But back on topic...(!) Vic Mills is the job. The only thing missing are double beds!

And a working door buzzer in Block E. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

i was looking at
    http://www.studentvillage.ie/academic_accommodation.php
    what is it like and how many people live with each other and is it safe ?
    and can you guys help me find some where
    i will be going into 1st hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

i was looking at
    http://www.studentvillage.ie/academic_accommodation.php
    what is it like and how many people live with each other and is it safe ?
    and can you guys help me find some where
    i will be going into 1st hopefully

The village is a nice place. It's good for first years. As the website says, apartments have 3-6 bedrooms. I guess it's safe. I mean, student accommodations generally are. It's in a quiet enough area, there aren't any houses around there, I don't think.

It's about a ten/fifteen minute walk from the campus, which is normal enough. I'd certainly go there before going to Deanshall. I didn't like Deanshall very much...

The village is a good 15minutes walk, depending on the two traffic lights you will encounter. Would definitely pick it over Deanshall as it is nicer and while both have good security, Deanshall's is more a pain re guests/parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Celtise wrote: »
    Would definitely pick it over Deanshall as it is nicer and while both have good security, Deanshall's is more a pain re guests/parties.

No, Deanshall is the most relaxed place ever about visitors. We never once got in trouble about having people over. The Village have a barrier to get through, with the security guard there. Not exactly easy tog et past him after hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

Jay P wrote: »
    No, Deanshall is the most relaxed place ever about visitors. We never once got in trouble about having people over. The Village have a barrier to get through, with the security guard there. Not exactly easy tog et past him after hours.

i agree with this. i've been to loads of parties and slept in plenty different gaffs in dean's hall, but not the village. jerry's a bit of a wanker there. dean's hall's much closer to town too.

Advertisement