Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegas Nights Team Event...Sun 18th Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

careca wrote:
    Are we all ready to rumble ??

anyone who drops out now must forfeit their life. they can keep the fifty. this applies especially to all middle aged/married team members!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

everyone except me?? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I may be able to play this if any team is short.

nobody's dropped out yet Dub13 but warm up the sub bench coz you're first on if someone bails. actually I wouldnt mind giving it a miss but Paddy Hicks has agreed to play and I would be a heel to start messing around. Haven't played in a while so hopefully the deep fried chicken bits will be worth it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No prob Doc I am not even sure if I am free yet.

PS:How are the car sales going...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭VEGAS NIGHTS

There are now fourteen teams registered and two maybes. So we're looking at 110 to 130ish players. Just a reminder...... there is a €50 Freeout (+€10) starting at around 6:30/7pm for anyone knocked out of the Team Event early

I'll bet a fiver at least two of our players have forgotten entirely about this. I guess I had better ring around tomorrow. I forgot how long these things go on, starting at 2, finishing at 11. i'm tired already..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Whaddya mean you wouldn't mind giving this a miss? Jesus, you're the captain ffs. Where would we be without your inspirational leadership, your contagious enthusiasm, your uplifting motivational speeches, your can do attitude, and most importantly your unique ability to ... ****, is that the time?
    See ya Sunday fellahs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

This crept up on me, but i shall be there... hopefully the lack of poker the last few weeks will help.

looking forward to it again, first day of in a few weeks, gonna be delightfully hungover - but focused!
    i'll be driving BMW 328 CI Auto 2.5 litre with Frank Sinatra on the MP3!
    Flash as a 3rd rate poker player can get! (and yours for only 5 and a half grand!)
    Paddy will have his Micra pimped out too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

I'm going over there, leaving Swords about 12:30

If anyine wants a lift, post here before 12:00 and i will call to collect en-route

The Clamper

I'll bet a fiver at least two of our players have forgotten entirely about this. I guess I had better ring around tomorrow. I forgot how long these things go on, starting at 2, finishing at 11. i'm tired already.....

does ntl bell know it's on....

If anyone wants a lift from Harolds cross, Kimmage area let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭The Clamper

Hey Joe

if i drive as far as Kimmage, will you give me a lift ????:D

Yeah no probs clamper ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, just incase anyone is stuck for a team, we're stuck for 3 players:D

There's usually teams looking for players too incase we fill up before you get to us

*cough*

ntl bell?

*cough*

*cough*

ntl bell?

*cough*

Yeah what a donkey play. Pushing with Q7 against a ****ing calling station on a AK7 board. FFS Brian, I thought you'd do better this time out. It cost the team first place as well. Thanks bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i can't believe I knocked myself out...:p

I have no choice, I had to put a contract out on NTL Bell's head. I knew his missus wouldn't let him play. What a pre-match disaster...

Would have liked to have had more luck, considering it was my last MMT where theres drinking allowed at the table. The same drunken play again and again. I'm fond of the beer but at least I don't drink when I'm playing live and swear and give aggro when there's ladies at the table. I must be out of my mind going to these things.

Nick is the consumate professional but these pub games are not for me any more. At least not until the next one....

only careca left in, wonder how he's getting along...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

only careca left in, wonder how he's getting along...?

He's not. Got to a high of 38K with about 25 left and then get it all in against gutshot (he had to call after the flop cos he only had 13K left :rolleyes: ). Enjoyed it though, well run if an awful lot of strange play.

one hand I raised to 6K with AK, BB thinks for about 10 mins (I kid you not) and calls leaving 4K behind :confused: . Flop comes rags, he checks, I go all in, he folds after another 10 mins. Said he had A5 and would have called if a 5 hit. wp.

Some strange play alright, but what amazed me were the commments and analyses after each hand. I was moved shortly after the break and at the new table every hand was commented on and opinions given by more than one player.

I got all in with AhTh on an Axx flop and won the hand against the lag to my right playing Kx. As the next hand played a mouthpiece on the far side of the table said "I wouldn't even limp with Ace Ten." He repeated his silly quip when I looked at him and he got support from another guy who mumbled something about premium hands. All this from guys who were calling out of position with stuff like K7 off.

Another guy, with blinds at 300/600 min bet on every street (??), induced a bluff from his opponent on the river and then simply called the bet with a full house. I think he wanted to gloat a bit.

There wasn't a lot of thinking going on either. From the BB I saw a free Q44 flop. SB checked so I thought I'd have a go and bet about 70% of the pot. SB moaned a lot and asked what were the odds of me holding a 4. He eventually folded and moaned a bit more. He took so long I have to assume he had at least a Q. It was interesting that none of the comments afterwards questioned whether or not I'd bet a flopped set.

All in all the standard is pretty atrocious. I'm not great, in fact I'm not sure I'm even any good tbh, but I can recognise crap poker when I see it and this table had a lot of that. It was contagious though, I donked off all my chips when the min-raising big stack pushed my re-raise and I called with KQs against his Aces. Oh, and I was the only player who didn't "know" what he was holding.

the standard was pretty bad, they'd call with middle pair or whatever "you know, I had to call with it, just to see kinda thing"

table nods in agreement, and it was the same for any draw, and as for tp :rolleyes: nuts!

Early on, I open raised 87s in mp, flop kxx, sb goes to bet, I'm ready to fold to his bet.

but with the blinds at 50/100, 700/800 in the pot, he bets 100, :confused: I raise to 600, he thinks, then folds k7o face up. :)

every hand got talked about, totally different atmosphere to most tournaments.

I just couldn't get going, and I was at a table where u needed to hit cards to get anywhere, which didn't happen, while a complete noob beside me got slapped in the face by the deck, and despite his best efforts not to extract value from his hands was chip leader at the table, probably won the bloodly thing! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The day was both a nightmare as well as a success for me. About half-way through it I got a splitter of a headache and for most of the rest of the tournament I just wanted to go home to me bed. As will happen with these things I started to amass chips despite my desire to be sucked out on. Even with my headache I couldn't bring myself to do anything completely silly so eventually I found myself at the final table. It was €150 for 9th and I thought that'll do me at this stage. Sure enough yet again I couldn't resist playing properly and eventually found myself going out in 3rd. I'm not claiming any superior ability here all I'll say is wanting to go home is an amazing relaxant and I played like I didn't care which can be very helpful. Anyway great day apart from my suffering and glad to come home with a few bob. Well done Vegas Nights. I pretty much grabbed my cash and ran because I was dying so apologies if I seemed abrupt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I forgot all about this.

Sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭VEGAS NIGHTS

HHmmmmm..... where do I start

Well first of all a big congrats to the winning team "The Vipers Poker team". I think credit is due here.... They all played a solid game and avoided the much available "trouble" through out the day. They were the last team to have all eight players still in. This was a vital component to "Team strategy" as the points system was based on all eight players and not just the players who went deep. Paddy G and Golly split the individual 1st and 2nd and they were both playing for the Vipers team so a big congrats and well played to them.

We were dlighted with the turn out (15 teams / 120 players) and the day ran with relative ease. JP and Christine ran the day with the highest standard of efficiency and profesionalism and a huge thanks to both of them.

Also a congrats to Baltinglass on runner up in the Team event.

Individual results in Team Event:
    1) Paddy Geraghty.......................Vipers
    2) Mark Holland...........................Vipers
    3) Brian O'Connell........................Walkin Worriers
    4) Paul Hanley.............................Walkin Worriers
    5) Mick Graydon..........................Jolly Topers
    6) Mick Magee............................Baltinglass
    7) David Judge............................Brave Incas
    8) Nathelie Leuqring.....................White House
    9) Kitty Hamil..............................Baltinglass

Team Results:
    1) Vipers Poker team
    2) Baltinglass
    I don't have the rest of results here but will post them later

ntlbell wrote:
    I forgot all about this.

tut tut...

man without you the drumpy dubs suffered, we all thought you were stuck in a well somewhere, so we couldn't concentrate, hence our lack of results...

glad to hear you're ok...

:D

ntlbell wrote:
    I forgot all about this.

tut tut...

man without you the grumpy dubs suffered, we all thought you were stuck in a well somewhere, so we couldn't concentrate, hence our lack of results...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Divers wrote:
    tut tut...

man without you the grumpy dubs suffered, we all thought you were stuck in a well somewhere, so we couldn't concentrate, hence our lack of results...

I was stuck in _hell_ and you were right to be worried I was in Limerick.

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JP Poker

Here's the final standing for the team event.

1st The Vipers (Players finished in 97th, 56th, 45th, 26th, 25th, 21st, 2nd & 1st) with 273 points

2nd Walkin Warriors (108th, 72nd, 59th, 48th, 27th, 13th, 4th & 3rd) 334 points

3rd Balthinglass (102nd, 68th, 66th, 57th, 18th, 16th, 9th & 6th) 341 points

4th Poker.ie (104th, 93rd, 77th, 63rd, 35th, 14th, 11th & 10th) 407 points

5th Brave Inca's (106th, 99th, 86th, 78th, 40th, 39th, 17th & 7th) 472 points

6th Clerks (100th, 98th, 71st, 58th, 47th, 41st, 30th & 28th) 473 points

7th Grumpy Dubs (85th, 83rd, 74th, 67th, 65th, 46th, 38th & 24th) 482 points

8th Abberly Court (105th, 92nd, 89th, 70th, 69th, 32nd, 29th & 12th) 498 points

9th Vegas Nights (116th, 110th, 90th, 53rd, 51st, 49th, 31st & 14th) 514 points

10th Jolly Toper (114th, 112nd, 101st, 87th, 61st, 23rd, 20th & 5th) 523 points

11th Submarine (111th, 95th, 94th, 64th, 52nd, 44th, 36th & 33rd) 529 points

12th Poker Events (103rd, 97th, 84th, 76th, 60th, 55th, 37th & 34th) 546 points

13th Flop Kings (120th, 119th, 107th, 75th, 73rd, 50th, 43rd & 22nd) 609 points

14th White House (117th, 113rd, 109th, 91st, 82nd, 81st, 19th & 8th) 620 points

15th Hillbillies (118th, 115th, 88th, 80th, 79th, 62nd, 54th & 42nd) 638 points

Congrats to golly and his gang of vipers, even if they did stop a hatrick of team events wins for the JP Poker crew.

I'll be sure to captain my team back to victory at the next team event. lol

Advertisement