Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

Well underway with the build;

Had to a bit of clearing to do along with filling in an existing drainage ditch.

Plans are for a two story house on a half acre site.

457193.JPG
    457194.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

froshtyv wrote: »
    Well underway with the build;

Had to a bit of clearing to do along with filling in an existing drainage ditch.

Plans are for a two story house on a half acre site.

457193.JPG
    457194.jpg
    Congrats well done...I hope your going for concrete first floor and heat pump?

Carrickbeg wrote: »
    Congrats well done...I hope your going for concrete first floor and heat pump?

That would be a yes on both counts.

457196.jpg

457197.JPG

457198.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Best of luck with the build!

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Best of luck with the build!

Thanks,

Lights in the soffit's was on the cards, came out very nice on your house.

• Advertisement

Steel and Radon barrier in.

457570.JPG

457571.JPG

Raft poured for house and garage.

457573.JPG

457574.JPG

What's the best way get the rope thru the red ducting for ESB connection?

What's the best way get the rope thru the red ducting for ESB connection?

Cheap way, fishing wire wrapped around a very rounded bit of insulation and a hoover. Then tie fishing wire to heavier rope and bring it back.

My set of energy decisions seems a bit unique these days for a new one off build but here it goes...
    Central heating mains natural gas (site at edge of town)
    Radiators
    PV Solar Array 3.18kw system 12 265w panels
    Diverter for hot water
    2 wood burning stoves (have access to free wood)
    280m2 house size
    150mm pumped bead cavity plus 50mm insulated plaster board on inside of all external walls (62.5mm including gyproc board)
    200mm underfloor insulation PIR
    400mm attic insulation quilt
    Triple glazed windows

Will post how it goes over winter and summer...

Anyone know how to get broadband on a new one off build at the edge of town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Anyone know how to get broadband on a new one off build at the edge of town?

I went for a 4g router in the attic and an eir sim as I had no access to a landline. Costs €60 a month for 250Gb and get speeds of 30Mb/s. I’m very happy with it have had it a year in north county Dublin. This solution will depend on the signal you can get

macgabhs wrote: »
    I went for a 4g router in the attic and an eir sim as I had no access to a landline. Costs €60 a month for 250Gb and get speeds of 30Mb/s. I’m very happy with it have had it a year in north county Dublin. This solution will depend on the signal you can get

Same, Found it the easiest way.

but with Three and its €30 a month and 750GB a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

id reach that limit in a week

id reach that limit in a week

Lets not dwell on limits and service, He asked how to get broadband into new house, not whats best deals.

OP Id imagine you need to call EIR to get a line to your point outside, Assuming you have an external Phone box..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Lets not dwell on limits and service, He asked how to get broadband into new house, not whats best deals.

OP Id imagine you need to call EIR to get a line to your point outside, Assuming you have an external Phone box..

Eir recently came down my road laying pipes and erecting poles for fiber. They stopped 50M from my house, meaning I can't get Fiber. It's impossible to get through to anyone who can actually tell me how to go about getting 1 more pole erected so me and my neighbour can have Fiber. When considering Eir you have to consider that they are beyond useless when it comes to Customer Service. Just look at their forum here for evidence of that.

I’d have gone with three too but the signal is non existent here. Limits fine for me most of the time but gets a bit tight when we are home for a few weeks like Christmas. I looked into imagine lte but survey failed to get a good signal.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Eir recently came down my road laying pipes and erecting poles for fiber. They stopped 50M from my house, meaning I can't get Fiber. It's impossible to get through to anyone who can actually tell me how to go about getting 1 more pole erected so me and my neighbour can have Fiber. When considering Eir you have to consider that they are beyond useless when it comes to Customer Service. Just look at their forum here for evidence of that.

I thought that the final run would be copper wire anyway so at 50m distance you’d get very good speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I’d have gone with three too but the signal is non existent here. Limits fine for me most of the time but gets a bit tight when we are home for a few weeks like Christmas. I looked into imagine lte but survey failed to get a good signal.

Whats the heights the are testing at?

Genuinely is there an option for you to put a mast at height and capture signal from nearest cell, or is it a distance problem ie you are outside the edge of a cell tower ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own threads.

How many people on boards are in the process of building their own homes at the moment, have recently completed or planning to do so in the near future.

I am about 3/4 of the way through a self-build.
    It would be interesting to have a "live" list of current self-builds on the forum.
    Can we stay on track. Thanks

BryanF wrote: »
    Can we stay on track. Thanks

I am currently trying to get broadband for my new house so I don't think it falls under pre building...leave me know when and where to start this as a new thread...
    What's the difference between Eir and Open Eir?
    There is now a difference between the ESB and Electric Ireland...is there the same spilt among broadband providers and the organisation responsible for the infrastructure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

I'm sure there's an internet/ broadband forum somewhere else to discuss issues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

mjp wrote: »
    I'm sure there's an internet/ broadband forum somewhere else to discuss issues like this.

Broadband supply is just as vital as Electricity or Water issues in a current build and as such are very relevant to this thread

Couple of pics of the blockwork starting.
    If someone wants to rotate the last picture be my guest.
    Seems any vertical picture i have taken with my phone comes in rotate when uploading.

461139.JPG

461140.JPG

461141.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

froshtyv wrote: »
    Steel and Radon barrier in.

457570.JPG

457571.JPG

Raft poured for house and garage.

457573.JPG

457574.JPG

How much for this foundation?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Anyone in this thread have their costs for a garage per sq meter in connaught

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Hi all just looking to pick your brains, we are at groundfloor level. Would you insulate first and do sand cement mix on top of underfloor heating (before blockwork) or finish block work seal house then insulation and underfloor pipes and screed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aid62

Froshty
    The floor level looks about 225 above the edge of your dpm?
    You doc should be 150mm above ground level.
    This means ur ground level needs to be 150below where your dpm emerges given that there is no doc per sé.
    Are you aware of that?

You piste past Cs of you radon barrier before it 'normally' would have been brought up to floor level on the inner leaf of tge City wall. Nit in your case.
    Check it out have you details?
    Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Hi all just looking to pick your brains, we are at groundfloor level. Would you insulate first and do sand cement mix on top of underfloor heating (before blockwork) or finish block work seal house then insulation and underfloor pipes and screed?

No expert but we put the sand/cement in before the blocks on both floors. We were tiling and covering he floor . Might be a different story if you are planning on polishing he concrete afterwards. Putting it in early gives more time of drying too I suppose.

I think you can do it either way really.

Frogeye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Thanks frogeye. Have any of you used pumped or spray insulation and met the required u values in 150mm cavity walls without slabbing internal walls

Advertisement