Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aid62

I think B-D-P is right, you pay the guys with the skills and to apply those skills.
    I'll be getting a limecrete guy in to help me, but he was clear if I did the appropriate raking out general prep I'd be saving time and money.
    Generally I'm a sinic. But very few people tradesmen etc are the lazy do nothing type that expect to get paid for showing up!.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aid62

BryanF wrote: »
    --[/B]

6 variations of the same post!!.. Welcome to boards, please have a read of the forum charter and read around the forum.
    Apologies, I thought they were different threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

IMG_20171127_180415_HHT_preview.jpg
    IMG_20171127_175704_preview.jpg
    IMG_20171127_175715_preview.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

So after 3 years and issues with planning, ABP, freehold issues, delays delays and more delays, we are POURING OUR FOUNDATIONS today. Never thought I'd see the day :pac:

155 sq.m build, 2 story with storage attic, in South Dublin.

Looking forward to updating you here regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

@B-D-P-- we can't see your pictures (don't know if your dropbox pictures are public)

• Advertisement

irishbuzz wrote: »
    @B-D-P-- we can't see your pictures (don't know if your dropbox pictures are public)

Fixed I think

Everything is ready now for the subfloor to be poured but it's too cold! We were hoping to get all the UFH pipework and cement down before Christmas but it's looking unlikely now :(

Here we go - progress up to today. Hoping to get steel ordered fairly soon, along with the first floor slabs. That view is from the back of the house to the front. So difficult to judge scale at this stage of things, the slab always feels tiny!

Should the tiling here,here, and here (ignore the electrics) be more smooth/flush than this, or is it the style of the tile? What would you give the tiling out of 10 (10 being the highest)?

Should the brickwork be sticking out in places as it is here/Is it meant to be more flush/smooth? Or does it need to be redone? What would you give the bricklaying out of 10 (10 being the highest)?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Should the tiling here,here, and here (ignore the electrics) be more smooth/flush than this, or is it the style of the tile? What would you give the tiling out of 10 (10 being the highest)?

Should the brickwork be sticking out in places as it is here/Is it meant to be more flush/smooth? Or does it need to be redone? What would you give the bricklaying out of 10 (10 being the highest)?
    Those links don't work. It's probably a sharing permissions thing. Try testing the links in "incognito mode".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Lumen wrote: »
    Those links don't work. It's probably a sharing permissions thing. Try testing the links in "incognito mode".

you can attach the pictures to your post - then there is no need to go to another site

440698.jpg
    440697.jpg
    2nd Fix well underway

2nd Fix well underway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    2nd Fix well underway

It's nice to see someone taking a bit of pride in their work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Yeah, seriously nice tidy work..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

wish my electrician had been that tidy

its almost a shame to close your fusebox cover !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi all,

hopefully somebody on here can advise, didn't find the information elsewhere.

Got permission from a farmer to a apply for planning permission on their land, so I am buying the site subject to planning. They have only ever gifted before so this process is new to us both.

We have just completed pre-planning and next step is Percolation Tests but obviously this is where it starts to cost money and both the farmer and I want to ensure we are both covered.

They are going to meet with their solicitor but that is in a few weeks away and I am anxious to know what is involved, I wondered if anyone has been in a similar position and what needed to be sorted before soil tests begin.

What sort of sale agreement is used for a site when it is being purchased subject to planning, and is it worth the paper it is written on? Is it drawn up by a solicitor?

And from the farmers perspective, what do they need to cover from their side before allowing access to the land for percolation tests.

FYI - we already have a letter giving us permission to apply for planning on the lands, but as we are breaking soil for tests I am sure there must be other things to consider, possibly insurance etc?

Thanks in advance

We have just completed pre-planning and next step is Percolation Tests but obviously this is where it starts to cost money

Did you have any arch drawings when you went to preplanning meeting?
    BryanF wrote: »
    Did you have any arch drawings when you went to preplanning meeting?

No we didn’t , we thought we would need some and asked the council and they said there were no plans required , it was really a discussion about the site in principle . Of course if you have drawings they will review and comment on them but they are not a necessity

You need a contract to buy the land subject to planning. You then apply for planning and if you get it you both must honour the contract.

Plumbing near done,,,
    Heating.... On!!

447957.jpg
    447958.jpg

Heat recovery ducts in too. Big of a ugly sight but haven't seen any nice ducts ever either

447978.jpg
    447979.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

BDP , that's beautiful pipework! I could sit there all day watching it.
    Are the two manifolds on the groundfloor? or is your plant room on the 1st floor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Very tasty work!

One small point on the lagging though, is it really needed? In terms of will there be enough heat generated there to negate the need the reason I ask is that if in the unlikely event there is a weep on a pipe it's harder to notice it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Villain wrote: »
    Very tasty work!

One small point on the lagging though, is it really needed? In terms of will there be enough heat generated there to negate the need the reason I ask is that if in the unlikely event there is a weep on a pipe it's harder to notice it?

The sparks will be delighted to see it all. Not one bonding strap installed yet :eek:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    The sparks will be delighted to see it all. Not one bonding strap installed yet :eek:
    448192.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

They have got to be 2 of the neatest jobs I have ever seen

Lights installed in the soffit, very impressive in real life. Very happy with them.
    Pictures do no justice
    449330.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

Well done Bdp...my self build is after turning into a night mare...had a retired architect project manage it with me and I put too much trust in him...
    Step back reveals = nightmate
    He ordered of 2k of special Keystone Catnic lintels 3 out of 4 were wrong...
    Advised me to get a plasterer whose work he had never seen
    Advised me to get a blocklayer who turned 70 while building my house...
    I could go on and on...well done to u tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

BDP, what gets done to the breeze blocks on show in the window reveals, do they get faced off with more stone? Looks to be little to no lip there.

BDP, what gets done to the breeze blocks on show in the window reveals, do they get faced off with more stone? Looks to be little to no lip there.

I'm going to put up a partition wall with 2nd fix for a sliding door,
    When plasterer returns to skim that he'll plaster the window reveals on the outside.
    Was going to stone right the way in, It would have looked good, but Plaster is better for a consistant seal, (Not a great seal, but better than stone would be)

Keen eye though!

Carrickbeg wrote: »
    Well done Bdp...my self build is after turning into a night mare...had a retired architect project manage it with me and I put too much trust in him...
    Step back reveals = nightmate
    He ordered of 2k of special Keystone Catnic lintels 3 out of 4 were wrong...
    Advised me to get a plasterer whose work he had never seen
    Advised me to get a blocklayer who turned 70 while building my house...
    I could go on and on...well done to u tho...

Sounds like heartache alright,
    I never bothered with an architect, Ended up doing it all on my own back, But at that I had discussions with all trades before starting as to quality and expectations.
    Also was able to employ who I wanted and who I trusted to do the job right.

I made sure keystone came to me to measure for the lintel they were to deliver.
    Left the onus on them if it was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Lights installed in the soffit, very impressive in real life. Very happy with them.
    Pictures do no justice
    449330.jpg

Who did your windows?

Advertisement