Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help here - are we british?

Options
  • 06-12-2006 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭

Argument arose here in work. Simple really, our boss reckons we are British because we are part of the British Isles. He claims - We are not part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, yet because we are part of the British Isles (which we are) we are british.

Views on this pleaaaze

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

we aren't part of the british isles are we?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Geographically he is right but in any other context...no, we're not British.

That'd be my view on it anyway!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

We are I think.

I suppose anyone who wanders onto the irish sea must be irish, then

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

go hit your boss for bein so stupid for me please and thank you

technically we are part of the british isles but nobody ever says it (well unionists etc sometimes do) but are e fcuk british.

or did i just dream the whole war thing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The Irish government recently stated that it didn't recognise the term 'British Isles'. Its really only a name that has no actual meaning. For instance we don't own the Irish sea, its just a name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

NO, dont be so silly.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Done Done Done.

And no, we aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Miamee wrote:
    Geographically he is right but in any other context...no, we're not British. That'd be my view on it anyway!

why thank you C F
    danniemcq wrote:
    go hit your boss for bein so stupid for me please and thank you

Oh Id love ta :p! His argument is backed up:rolleyes: by using the Canaries as an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yay, yet another british isles thread to bring out the barstool IRA.
    More here, here, here and here. See how those ended.

What miamee said is correct imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Trilla wrote:
    Oh Id love ta :p! His argument is backed up:rolleyes: by using the Canaries as an example

http://www.goyk.com/flash.asp?path=1529

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Of course we're British! We ear black puddings and go to the pub, don't we?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

our boss reckons we are British
    On the BBC a few years ago they went looking for "pure blooded" britons*, they used swab tests from people on the street. Apparently the people with undiluted (or the least diluted) british blood lived in Ireland.

*britons = the people living in england before the saxons and vikings came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

as ruu said..here we go again.
    I watched the other thread on the british isles with amused interest.
    As the wannabees came out of the woodwork.
    Bottom line:
    British isles is a geographic term, which is bing altered i believe.
    NO you are Irish Not British, thats cultural..

Wonder how long it will be before they come out again.. a bit like barnacles at high tide LMAO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ruu wrote:

:D

okay I just wanted some nifty comments to throw back at my "i am always right" boss. I think "so the isle of man is in the Irish sea therefore its Irish, as the british isles is merely an archipelago" would do

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Oh god wait till the chuckie brigade see this one !!!! Cue 100+ post thread with 700 years etc etc..........

Britian is part of the Irish Isles, there thats sorted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

gandalf wrote:

Ching! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Trilla wrote:
    why thank you C F

Reminds me of the time my mate almost got his food spat in by a waiter for wearing a Spanish jersey in Tenerife.

His exact words were;

"Espana...is...SH1T!! *flicks crest on mates jersey and makes spitting noise*
    Tenerife...good...yes?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

delly wrote:
    The Irish government recently stated that it didn't recognise the term 'British Isles'. Its really only a name that has no actual meaning. For instance we don't own the Irish sea, its just a name.

Exactly. Its a meaningless geographical term like Eurasia, Iberia, the Sahel etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Trilla wrote:

okay I just wanted some nifty comments to throw back at my "i am always right" boss. I think "so the isle of man is in the Irish sea therefore its Irish, as the british isles is merely an archipelago" would do
    The non political term would be Atlantic archipelagos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Unpossible wrote:
    On the BBC a few years ago they went looking for "pure blooded" britons*, they used swab tests from people on the street. Apparently the people with undiluted (or the least diluted) british blood lived in Ireland.

*britons = the people living in england before the saxons and vikings came along.
    I had heard that those living in Wales were the more genetically Briton people before as they had got driven west by various invasions, but I guess their gene pool has still got a bit more diluted from the rest of the island of Britain than happened in Ireland as there was the extra bit of water to navigate across first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ruu wrote:
    hold on a second.
    disagreeing with being called british does not make you a "barstool IRA" type of person.
    people who want to forget our past sicken me as much as those who support the IRA. there is a middle ground. we can remember our past without hating british people or disliking being compared to the british. Germany is beside France. doesn't make the Frenbch people more German though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

bluewolf wrote:
    We are I think.

I suppose anyone who wanders onto the irish sea must be irish, then

Ah but you'd have to born at see to come to be Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

i aint no brit....
    just cause were part of the british isles dosen't mean were british....as a wise man once said- just cause a bus has "Smarties (or any other brand name)" on it dosent mean its going there

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

We're all just filthy Earthers!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,297 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Trilla wrote:
    Is he suggesting that Los Islas Canarias are owned by a bunch of small, multi-coloured birds?
    robinph wrote:
    I had heard that those living in Wales were the more genetically Briton people before as they had got driven west by various invasions
    Thats the sheep content. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

julep wrote:
    hold on a second.
    disagreeing with being called british does not make you a "barstool IRA" type of person.
    people who want to forget our past sicken me as much as those who support the IRA. there is a middle ground. we can remember our past without hating british people or disliking being compared to the british. Germany is beside France. doesn't make the Frenbch people more German though.

People being ups in arms because the term British isles has the word british in it and is used to describe the group of Islands we happen to belong to. If the term had been "celtic Islands" ( thats K-eltic kids not the football team) no-one in this country would have had a problem. It's the usual attitude of the Brit hating Irish. Noboday (execpt the op's boss, called us british)

We all learned about the Iberian penisula in school. I havent heard of any national campaigns about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Stekelly wrote:
    People being ups in arms because the term British isles has the word british in it and is used to describe the group of Islands we happen to belong to. If the term had been "celtic Islands" ( thats K-eltic kids not the football team) no-one in this country would have had a problem. It's the usual attitude of the Brit hating Irish. Noboday (execpt the op's boss, called us british)

We all learned about the Iberian penisula in school. I havent heard of any national campaigns about that one.
    I haven't heard of Spanish or Portugese people ever referred to as "Iberian". Ever.
    The term "British" in reference to this country is outdated and is one that was imposed upon us by the british government of 1801.
    This is the island of reland. simple as that.

basque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

julep wrote:
    I haven't heard of Spanish or Portugese people ever referred to as "Iberian". Ever.
    The term "British" in reference to this country is outdated and is one that was imposed upon us by the british government of 1801.

basque.

No one is refering to Iriah people as being british either . The british Isles is/was a Geographical term for the group of islands we belond to. ie the physical land making up the islands is/was the british isles, the people on the southern part of the island of ireland are not called british people.

cant make it clearer than that.

julep wrote:

The people in the north are British.

Advertisement