Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help here - are we british?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Stekelly wrote:
    No one is refering to Iriah people as being british either . The british Isles is/was a Geographical term for the group of islands we belond to. ie the physical land making up the islands is/was the british isles, the people on the southern part of the island of ireland are not called british people.

cant make it clearer than that.
    apart from the OP's boss.

The people in the north are British.
    but are entitled to Irish citizenship and quite a lot of them, on both sides, use an Irish passport. those crazy kidnapper types in foreign countries tend to leave Irish people alone don't you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

No. I'm British but that's due to being born in England, my (born and living in Ireland) family are not British. I don't want to descend into an argument about the British Isles, not that it matters. To be British, you must be from Britain. Being born in the British Isles (not commenting on whether or not Ireland is part) does not make you British any more than being born in a garage makes you a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

julep wrote:
    hold on a second.
    disagreeing with being called british does not make you a "barstool IRA" type of person.
    people who want to forget our past sicken me as much as those who support the IRA. there is a middle ground. we can remember our past without hating british people or disliking being compared to the british. Germany is beside France. doesn't make the Frenbch people more German though.

No but it brings in those sort of people onto the thread, you know it and I know it.

well, everyone is entitled to their opinion. i've no problem with "those people", as long as they word their arguements correctly.
    otherwise i'll ban their asses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Stekelly wrote:
    The people in the north are British.

The people in the North are NOT British. They are part of the UK. Not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

We're no more British citizens for living in the British Isles than a Canadian is a U.S. citizen for living in North America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah, we're British, God Save the Queen and so on... julep, join in!

Ruu I think it would be wise to close this... It's a duplicate thread for starters, but also, my head hurts from the head-banging orgy that was the last thread... I'm afraid the wall will collapse if this thread continues! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Trilla wrote:
    Views on this pleaaaze

your boss is a stupid bastard

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

nipplenuts wrote:
    The people in the North are NOT British. They are part of the UK. Not the same thing.

Doesn't matter. It still makes them British should they choose to be so.

British
    Adjective referring to Britain, or its inhabitants or citizens. Taken to mean 'of the United Kingdom', rather than 'of Great Britain'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

And the Polish are all Nazis. Your boss doesn't deserve his Irish passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

We're not British, because we aren't in Britain. Q.E.D.

We are Pretanic with them though, since we're in the second largest of the Pretanic isles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh noes! The Pretanic Isles argument.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You're wrong ...all of you !

We all are Caucasians !!

(except for those among us with Afro-Hibernian or any other possible Dash Hibernian roots that is)

:D:D:D

Does it really matter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ponster wrote:
    Doesn't matter. It still makes them British should they choose to be so.

British
    Adjective referring to Britain, or its inhabitants or citizens. Taken to mean 'of the United Kingdom', rather than 'of Great Britain'.

actually they're not British. Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

great britain?
    that would make us one of the lesser british isles.
    **** that. i'm not a lesser anything.

well, i'm not lesser british anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

People in the north are British and Irish depending of their passport choice imho.

And no, we are not part of British Isles, even the state does not recognise the term, we are an Irish Isle.
    Pretanic sounds a nice name though, what is that ? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Mossy Monk wrote:
    actually they're not British. Northern Ireland is a part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

haha, Ok then. You try going up there and telling them that they aren't British.

If you're born in the North then you have a choice between being British or Irish or both at the same time. Being British doesn't mean being born in Britain but born in the UK.
    Yeah, I know it doesn't make any sense but that's just the way it is.

julep wrote:
    great britain?
    that would make us one of the lesser british isles.
    **** that. i'm not a lesser anything.

well, i'm not lesser british anyway.

Oh dear, here comes that inferiority complex again :o

Somebody please close this before my head spins off my shoulders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

another are we/arent we thread, we are not british [subjects] we are irish [citizens]. there is no such thing as the british isles, dermot ahern announced a while ago that the term carries no official status and is not used by the government, i find the term very offensive and use the terms island of ireland and island of britian.
    go tell your boss to go back to school and study geography better this time round

DaveMcG wrote:
    Oh dear, here comes that inferiority complex again :o

Somebody please close this before my head spins off my shoulders!
    terribly sorry, but we don't seem to have a tongue in cheek emoticon*

*to be read in a 50's ealing movie posh english accent.

• Advertisement

If it was tongue in cheek then it bears a striking resemblance to most of your other posts! They can't ALL be tongue in cheek, surely! :D

Why isn't this closed julep? You've been posting in it and so has Ruu, but it's a duplicate thread which has been linked to already. Any other duplicate is closed or merged, why hasn't this one been?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I can't believe that this has come up again. The British Isles is simply a geographical term. Thats it. Anyone who can construe from that that we are British needs a cranial examination. We all know where we stand - no matter what name is assigned to our geographical location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Trilla wrote:
    Argument arose here in work. Simple really, our boss reckons we are British because we are part of the British Isles. He claims - We are not part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, yet because we are part of the British Isles (which we are) we are british.

Views on this pleaaaze

he`s pulling your leg,and you fell for it,sucker

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The op should hand the boss a piece of paper With the words "British B@st@rds" written on it and ask him does he see any Irish there....

I can also now understand how easily the Iraqis could get upset with those Argentinians being Invaders from the Americas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The whole thread is simply a pedantic argument and should be locked as its been visited so many times before..............

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

admiralgar wrote:
    i find the term very offensive and use the terms island of ireland and island of britian.

Thereby causing similar offence to the Scottish and the Welsh. Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

We don't live in Britain, they do.

We live in Ireland, nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

county wrote:
    he`s pulling your leg,and you fell for it,sucker

naa, i just wanted a thread to build up and show him. He's persistent enough and was argueing with 2 or 3 of us. You say white, he'll say cyan blue. Thats the guy he is. Just needed a way to shut him up, a few comments here and there!

Roight that ends that Fintin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why should it cause offence to the Welsh and Scots, but not the English?

I hate the term "British" or "Brit". It's a term used by the BBC to be Politically correct. There are no British people in Britain, we are all either English, Welsh or Scottish.

I am English and I am as much a Briton as I am a european.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The only time the term British may be correctly used to describe a person from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland is when they win some sporting event or other World-side accolade. If they don't win they revert to their alternate nationalities of Welsh, Scottish and Irish. The term Northern Irish is rarely heard or seen. It must be remembered at all times, win lose or draw an Englishman will always be an Englishman.

/Edited for spelling

Advertisement