Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy geography on school books

Options
  • 04-10-2006 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭

Just reading about Folens changing the geography books about "the British Isles" controversy, and I wonder if anything has been done about the dubious geography that was on the back of copies for years and years.

All the time my kids were in school there was a badly drawn map on their copies which casually rearranged the boundries of several east european countries, and lost Austria (I think it was) entirely. There were loads of other errors and most country borders were smoothed off scribbles - though Ireland had lots of wiggles on the coast - not particularly accurate but to show that we had an interesting coastline (or something).

Has it been corrected, and if not, why does no-one care? And why haven't Austria (or whoever it was) complained about it? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

looksee wrote:
    And why haven't Austria (or whoever it was) complained about it? :D

Well I seem to remember a little Austrian chap wit one ball complaining about borders a while back. Don't think it turned out well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

looksee wrote:
    Has it been corrected, and if not, why does no-one care? And why haven't Austria (or whoever it was) complained about it? :D
    I forwarded your post to the Austrian born Governor of California. He said, "I'll be back!" to your issue (when he gets time from watching reruns of his old films).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I actually remember that map being on my copies too... I always thought it was some sort of arty representation of Europe, or somethin. I never used to think of it as a proper map. I did however, as did many people, draw my own boundaries onto the map, and create countries like 'Daveland' and 'The United States of My Ass-Cheeks' :D Quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Collie D wrote:
    Well I seem to remember a little Austrian chap wit one ball complaining about borders a while back. Don't think it turned out well
    I laughed. Obvious response but kudos anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

I still have one of those copies with a heavily altered map on the back. I think they should be retained, teaches kids a valuable lesson in creativity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Collie D wrote:

Ha, thats the first time anything written on boards.ie has actually made me laugh out loud since the "Ceeling Cat" fiasco, lol ahh ceeling cat, where did that little fella go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Collie D wrote:

ROFL:D

Advertisement