Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The British Isles" - wikipedia

Options
  • 01-05-2006 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Please partake in an online survey of feelings about the term "The British Isles" for wikipedia. Information on the term/area etc can be found by searching on wikipedia. There has been some debate on that page reguarding just what percentage of irish people have a dificulty with the term and we are trying to do a survey about it - please make your vote and try to get as many others to vote tool; the more votes the better the result.

Edit: Naturally this survey will only mean something if everyone who takes part is from the republic of ireland or has some relationship to it .... thank you for your comments. .... and please dont let the argument spoil your day :)

How do you feel about the term "The British Isles" 65 votes

Find the term insultive or have significant problem with it.
    0% 0 votes
    Have no significant problem with it.
    100% 65 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

*puts a curse on thetourist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Banphrionsa

The colonial mentality is hard to shake after 700 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Who cares if it's called the British Isles.
    The Indian Ocean is called that, despite touching many countries. and noone has a problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The english dont give out abotu the irsih sea. We're part of the british isles, not great britain, it's two different things and it's doing us no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The British Isles is a geographical term like Scandinavia and we happen to be inside the British Isles..................they have the Irish Sea beside them , so who really cares anyway .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Competition Time

Find Ireland on this page - http://www.yrigfp.com/countries.asp

Winner gets to feel angry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

AH sensible replies shock!

edit> burn down Pizza Hut! (well, do that anyway!)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have no problem with west britain being part of the british isles.

and i bet those people in the scilly isles are all stupid too...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I have a problem with it. This goes back to when I was working overseas and tried to explain to a local that I am not British. She duly informed me that we were part of the British Isles. After a brief argument, she accepted my explanation that the British Isles were named by the British and that they tended not to care for my ancestor's feelings back in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

I have a problem with that term. Ireland is not a 'British Isle' and these islands are not the 'Isles of the British' either. The British arnt the only race/people who inhabit this archipeligo, the Irish do aswel. They should be referred to as the 'British and Irish Isles' or Ireland and its offshore islands detached from the Irish mainland should have its own geographical designation as the 'Irish Isles'. Why not call the Iberian Peninsula the Spanish Peninsula? Makes as much sense as putting Ireland under the geographical term in question.

• Advertisement

i have no problem with west britain being part of the british isles.

and i bet those people in the scilly isles are all stupid too...

West Britain? Do you mean Wales?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

thetourist wrote:
    Please partake in an online survey of feelings about the term "The British Isles" for wikipedia. Information on the term/area etc can be found by searching on wikipedia. There has been some debate on that page reguarding just what percentage of irish people have a dificulty with the term and we are trying to do a survey about it - please make your vote and try to get as many others to vote tool; the more votes the better the result.

Edit: Naturally this survey will only mean something if everyone who takes part is from the republic of ireland or has some relationship to it .... thank you for your comments. .... and please dont let the argument spoil your day :)

Of course the term 'British Isles' is ONLY used by the British and often it come across as antagonistic when its not really meant to be. Of course the name should be scrapped as its implying a geopolitical context which is inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Jesus, people have very little to be complain about if they're getting upset over the name of a chain of islands.

They're called the British Isles, it doesnt mean we swear allegience to the queen or anything. It's just a name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

DOLEMAN wrote:
    Competition Time

Find Ireland on this page - http://www.yrigfp.com/countries.asp

Winner gets to feel angry...

Well to be fair they don't include Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan or the Vatican City State either so we won't be alone in feeling indignant.

Jesus, people have very little to be complain about if they're getting upset over the name of a chain of islands.

They're called the British Isles, it doesnt mean we swear allegience to the queen or anything. It's just a name.

Only the British refer to it as that. Isnt that strange?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

/me bursts into a rousing chorus of "A Nation Once Again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭DOLEMAN

Well to be fair they don't include Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan or the Vatican City State either so we won't be alone in feeling indignant.

Wrong! :)

Look under United Kingdom...

darkman2 wrote:
    Cartographers, too.

Cartographers, too.

Yeah British Cartographers. I have a world map from the US and it dosnt say BIs:)

DOLEMAN wrote:

I don't see Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan or the Vatican City State listed under United Kingdom...

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote:

No they don't, I've been across the world and heard people refer to them as the British Isles. What else have you heard them refered to as?

What I find strange is that the Irish seem to be the only population in the world who get their knickers in a twist about even the slightest hint of this kind of thing, even when (or perhaps because of) their knowledge of Irish history comes from the Micheal Collins movie and Dubliners songs.

To me, personally, I couldn't give a flying **** what the islands are refered to as. I dont see it as an affront to my freedoms, I dont think that it's the build-up to a beach landing by the brits in Dublin Bay, it makes absolutely no difference to me. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

We are included, you just didn't find it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

DOLEMAN wrote:

:eek:

Never even thought of looking there...

No they don't, I've been across the world and heard people refer to them as the British Isles. What else have you heard them refered to as?

What I find strange is that the Irish seem to be the only population in the world who get their knickers in a twist about even the slightest hint of this kind of thing, even when (or perhaps because of) their knowledge of Irish history comes from the Micheal Collins movie and Dubliners songs.

To me, personally, I couldn't give a flying **** what the islands are refered to as. I dont see it as an affront to my freedoms, I dont think that it's the build-up to a beach landing by the brits in Dublin Bay, it makes absolutely no difference to me. Move on.

Hypothethical situation. If Poland was referred to as being part of some geographic designation like 'The Germanic Plains' or 'Greater Germany' and some Poles didnt like this term, what would you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

I resent Ireland being termed a "British isle". Let them use the term for Britain, the Isle of Man, and the islands that are part of Scotland, England, Wales and the dependencies of the UK.

The point is we have absolutely nothing to do with the UK politically and therefore we should, as the only soveriegn nation in these islands (if you include the UK as a union of nations), be consulted at least on what we refer our side of the fence to. Its really just a pot shot from the brits, this BIs thing. I dont care either way, im just explaining the practicalities.

Hypothethical situation. If Poland was referred to as being part of some geographic designation like 'The Germanic Plains' or 'Greater Germany' and some Poles didnt like this term, what would you think?

Well, if the "Germanic Plains" was a term that has been used far and wide for centuries to describe a geographical location, I'd have no problem with it whatsoever.

Actually hey, are you going fight for the oppressed peoples of the Americas? I mean, how can they put up with those US bastards trying to claim the rest of the continents too!

The point is we have absolutely nothing to do with the UK politically and therefore we should, as the only soveriegn nation in these islands (if you include the UK as a union of nations), be consulted at least on what we refer our side of the fence to. Its really just a pot shot from the brits, this BIs thing. I dont care either way, im just explaining the practicalities.

Right, who should the Irish government get on the phone to to correct this injustice? Face it, the reason that you see the islands refered to as the British Islands is not because of some sort of imperialistic scheme hatched by the British government - it's because that's what people across the world have referred to the islands as for hundreds of years. Do you suggest that we write letters to all of these people and tell them not to, because it somehow, vaguelly, oppresses you?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Right, lets form an army to go over and free the canadians from the tyranny of america and stop them being included in the term north america.

"what, what do you mean no one cares"? "but the irish, they get so annoyed about these pointless things"?

• Advertisement

Right, who should the Irish government get on the phone to to correct this injustice? Face it, the reason that you see the islands refered to as the British Islands is not because of some sort of imperialistic scheme hatched by the British government - it's because that's what people across the world have referred to the islands as for hundreds of years. Do you suggest that we write letters to all of these people and tell them not to, because it somehow, vaguelly, oppresses you?

Ok your actually annoying me. Please read my posts. I said I dont care either way and yet your talking to me in a condescending manner. It dosnt 'oppress me'. Dont be so stupid. I said I was explaining the 'practicalities' and inaccuracies of refering to our country as being part of a foreign block in a geopolitical sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement