Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm force winds and a Tornado warning

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

How do you listen to the tower?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Highest gust of the storm so far on Land

Dublin airport 1500hrs

33 Gust 67(kt)

77mph

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Go here http://www.liveatc.net/feedmap/feedmap.html

Scroll over to ireland click on Dublin then it should pop open your media player.. and then listen!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

vallo wrote:
    How do you listen to the tower?
    Go to http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/eidw.m3u

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wind dropping off a bit in the last 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes, worst of it appears to be over now - mind you I had to barricade a couch against our upstairs sunroom doors earlier, full sure they were going to blow in!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

What is the prognosis for driving from Dublin to Westport Monday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Just back from shopping, bit of an adventure on the way home.

Really really strong winds and heavy rain and to top it off a sizeable tree down across the road.
    Had to give a hand with a chainsaw cutting the bugger up and shifting all the while being extremely nervous that another of the trees to the side of the road was going to go - the trees are huge evergreens.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Where are you located?

Thanks! And welcome to the forums ;)

I'm in Claremorris.
    The storm has well and truely abated here at this stage :(
    The Weather forecast was wrong again, as it seems in most areas the wind speed did not increase again in the late afternoon to evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Took a drive down to dalkey today and took some pictures. The water was pretty rough, very squally.

Dalkey019S.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Picture from tramore Waterford:

SANY0117.jpg

The 2 People Furtest away got swept into the sea

SANY0131.jpg

Rescue Helicopter Called out to rescue them !

SANY0144.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

pp_me129 wrote:

SANY0131.jpg

Twits. Some people have no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

WHY people would risk there lives by going out onto piers and the likes in such weather is beyond me, they look old enough to have some sense, some never learn though :rolleyes:

Back on topic, things have quietened down in Carlow town, the ocassional gust, and squally shower, but thats about it. Just as well it was mainly dry today as the Barrow burst its back across the road from me, and another day of rain would have meant floods! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

pp_me129 wrote:

For real?????

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

:confused: what ****ing morons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Still hammering down in Stillorgan, Co. Dub. Wind picking up with big gusts.

hey neighbour, yup still rattling away, feels like its getting a lot stronger tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

are they ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Ye for Real one got out straight away the other was taken away in a stracher to hospital i persume, after being in the sea for a good 25 mins!!

Weather in waterford has died down since about 4-5 pm everything here is calm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

pp_me129 wrote:
    Ye for Real one got out straight away the other was taken away in a stracher to hospital i persume, after being in the sea for a good 25 mins!!

Weather in waterford has died down since about 4-5 pm everything here is calm

Nasty .
    great shot by the way though, at least you had sense to keep far enough from it....

I'm in Claremorris.
    The storm has well and truely abated here at this stage :(
    The Weather forecast was wrong again, as it seems in most areas the wind speed did not increase again in the late afternoon to evening.

Yes for some areas but not all,although not the fury of a tail end of a dead hurricane or 1987 standards but the one thing amazed me about this storm was the sheer persistant strong winds and consistant gale to storm force gusts almost 24hrs with just a brief respite last night.

It will go down as a memorable storm for some(for good or bad reasons) but depending on where some folk are it was hit and miss.For me it was a decent event but not too stormy but again it was a full 24hrs maximum winds i will remember this for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How would this rate when compared with a CAT 1 or 2 hurricane. A few times it was reported that wind speeds where above 80km/hr. We still seem to be in the level 2 alert area also (esofex).

Oh there is no comparison,Cat1 or 2 have winds in excess of 75mph+ sustained winds and higher with different Catagories.This is what you feel constantly,the gusts are much higher still.

Like a Cat5 has 155mph sustained winds with higher gusts.
    We just had a breeze today compared with hurricanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

Taken just after 3pm today (see attached).

The first one shows minor flooding near the River Barrow, the second shows the Barrow spilling over onto the nearby track.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Barrow sure does like to flood, I fear it could flood a lot more before this Winter is over.

irish1 wrote:
    The Barrow sure does like to flood, I fear it could flood a lot more before this Winter is over.

Dont I know it, I'm watching a rather large amount of water at the end of my street thats been there since this morning, any more rain and it'll be up past my door! :(

Hang onto that pic with the Sugar Factory in it MilkTrolley, it'll soon be a distant memory.

The junction near the rowing club (seen in picture 1) always gets flooded whenever there's rain. I recall seeing it much worse than that last year - and that was after a sudden, relatively short but still heavy downpour, not rain as prolonged as it was the other night. I think it's the drainage in the area, but being located right beside the Barrow can't help methinks.

I'll be sure to hang on to that pic, took a couple of the factory as I was driven around yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

After what has a mostly scuttery day with persistent rain, the wind is after picking up a lot down here.. i wonder what the chances are of it getting stronger through the night..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

the wind is picking up agin on southern coast:rolleyes:.
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Heres what happens when you dig foundations too close to the river Barrow (or most rivers for that matter :p ), as a result of the weekends storm we now have a new swimmingpool in Carlow :D

newpool2.jpg

newpool.jpg

The foundations must have been 20ft deep, if not deeper, they had only dug it out lastweek and were starting to pour the foundations, just in time eh, keeps the water in for longer ;) .

Well, thats what they get for throwing up yet 'another' cheap block of flats and blocking the view of the castle :mad:

• Advertisement

Didn't realise there was flooding there - actually I didn't even realise they were buliding flats at that location. Shame really, if they redeveloped that street which you can turn off on to beside Bridge Stores, by putting in a board walk for instance, you could get some nice views of the castle on the riverbank. Anyway, there were shoddy preparations, that's for sure.

Advertisement