Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm force winds and a Tornado warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

For sure it has got going again here now,Means up to 25mph gusting high 30s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

M1 bouy reporting sustained 59mph winds @ 9am... can one imagine what the wind must me doing 10 meters above those ginormous waves?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

in wicklow atm its very calm,in fact not a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

just heard on the news that there is bad flooding in mayo , especially crossmolina and in the north with the worst yet to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Picking up again in Carlow and I have to go play two soccer matches one at 11 and one at 2. Not sure if they will go ahead though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Waterford was fine this morning, breezy and cold

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Drove into work this morning to Blanch. The winds are very strong. I only have a little washing machine of a car and it felt like I was being rammed in some instances.

100-140kph expected this afternoon in SW as far as I know.

It also hit the west side of the house last night (which is quite rare side of the house ;) ). didn't see any tree damages or any serious flooding though.

The averages are steady but the gusts are really picking up and squally,then goes calm and then up.It takes you by surprise when standing outside.Still gusting in the high 30s.Am expecting to reach 50mph in the next 2 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

By the way, there was bad thunder and lightning in Monaghan town, along with severe winds, about half an hour ago. No mention of tornadoes yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

0900 Taf is pretty amazing for Dublin Airport :-

EIDW 030900Z 031019 22030G45KT 9999 SCT020 BKN040 BECMG 1012 23035G55KT TEMPO 1218 25040G65KT TEMPO 1019 5000 SHRA SCT012 BKN018CB=

Thats wsw 40 knot winds gusting to 65 knot!! between 12:00 and 18:00, amazing stuff.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Wind really got going here... similar to Snowbie with a really severe spell of wind followed a couple of second calm and then whooosh... The frequency of the gusts has really picked up though in the last 30 minutes.;)

Really strong winds have kicked off here in the last 5 minutes. Gusts of about 60 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Was very windy Kilkenny City outskirts last night.
    Neighbours had a small gazebo in there back garden, metal frame pegged down with metal pins and ropes. Half of it ended up in our back garden and the rest is in the plumbers yard even further away! :eek:

Wind dropped, slightly, but is starting to pick up again. An interesting night ahead I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Winds gusting to 120Km/h and above now in Laois. I think the peak is around now, falling off towards 3pm

One of the neighbours spent awhile yesterday putting the outside christmas decorations up and looked very spectacular,he will spend awhile cleaning them up and locating half of them down the road now.
    Gusting over 40mph now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mayo/ Galway border here and it's scary! I've never seen winds like it! I'm just waiting for the fence/ slates/ electricity etc to go. There was also a clap of thunder about 5 minutes ago.

After a sunny morning beginning to rain with very dark skies,, wind really picking up now and starting to become stormy.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Winds picking up here too and starting to get cloudy, a good few trees down during the night around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Windy in Waterford But not a Cloud in Sight!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Windy here all morning, but no rain at my location, although there is some very heavy looking showers falling all round... will head up the high field to get a better look all round...... Still i dunno, with all the doomsday predictions and such it doesn't feel overly stormy...

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Very strong wind here in Stamullen and the rain is starting to get slightly heavy. I see a few roof tiles down and I can hear mine rattling :eek: I wonder will there be as many trees down like there was a couple of months ago :confused:

Windy here all morning, but no rain at my location, although there is some very heavy looking showers falling all round... will head up the high field to get a better look all round...... Still i dunno, with all the doomsday predictions and such it doesn't feel overly stormy...

Have there been doomsday predictions?:confused:

I predicted gusts upto 80/85mph so it must not of been me your referring to ;)

Meanwhile here the winds is really picking up!!!

Some bad gusting here. One gust definetely topped 70 mph. I *think* there was a flash of lightning too.

Takeshi and WC,less of the bickering lads.Some people are experiencing very strong winds while others have yet to get to see storm force winds.

Keep it real ppl.

Gusting consistently up on the 40 mph mark,steadily increasing all the while.Means are going up slightly to nearly 25mph

The radar shows the rain re-strengthening near me. Strong enough gusts are still persisting along with the heavy rain.

I'm amazed to hear that planes are being diverted from Dublin to Shannon and elsewhere. I expected the opposite to happen.

Still no tornadoes here...:p

Snowbie wrote:
    Takeshi and WC,less of the bickering lads.Some people are experiencing very strong winds while others have yet to get to see storm force winds.

Keep it real ppl.

Gusting consistently up on the 40 mph mark,steadily increasing all the while.Means are going up slightly to nearly 25mph

Absolutely no bickering there:eek: :confused: If you thought there was Takeshi i am very very sorry!;)

Just hears the latest radio forecast... Gusts between 120km and 150km:eek:

150km = 93mph :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I can't get your Ireland weather link to work snowbie. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Winds really starting to pick up here in Carlow town, just back from Aldi *Sunday specials :p * and the wind literally would stop you dead in your tracks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Was thinking of taking a trip down to The Hook lighthouse in Wexford (25 min drive). Huge waves. Will take my camera. Probably loads of people down there now. Its solid gusts outside now.

Advertisement