Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch every day?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yes, without failure for over 9.5 years now, the same watch the same battery!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes, without failure for over 9.5 years now, the same watch the same battery!!!!

I can lay claim to beating that!.

I bought a Casio G-shock in Lebanon in 1988 and its still on its original battery. I haven't used it in year's, which is probably why!.

Oh, its still in my draw, normally to be used on holidays etc when I don't want to bring a good (expensive) watch with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

ever since I got my first watch when I was seven i've worn one everday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

When I was a kid I used to have one powered by water.

You'd have to hold it under the tap to charge it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

That doesn't sound very useful...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bambi wrote:
    I cast a rolleyes in the direction of those who spend 400+ plus on a watch :rolleyes:

why cast rolleyes?

anyone who spends over 400 on a watch shows that they have an interest in heurology and accurate well made watches.

people are free to spend their money anyway they please, would you rather them drink that money senseless just to piss it up against a wall or something.

you might of guessed, yes i do have a watch (several) worth over 400 euros.:D

i wear my watch most days, sometimes i don't feel like wearing one so i just use the phone but anytime i'm out i'll have it on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I've worn watches most days for most of my life, really! Ranging from gimmicky ones as a kid (tv channel changer, calculator type rubbish) to a lovely simple one now that my parents got me for my last birthday.
    The only times I really take it off is either when showering, or on a computer (I can't stand typing whilst wearing a watch). As for owning a watch over 400 euro, it's a person's own choice (as long as they don't continually flash it around annoyingly :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Mairt wrote:
    €400 is expensive for a Diesel, yes!.

Personally I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a watch from a company making jean's and tee-shirts.
    The point was somebody was saying their watch was worth a lot and I was just saying it wasn't expensive or worthy of only special occasions due to value.
    The Diesel designs have changed the design of watches in the consumer market over the last ten years. Lots of copy cat designs.
    I personally like smart design which is why I like the designs from Diesel I don't think much of watches with a ton of dials that make it hard to read. I doubt Diesel actually make the watches

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭toffo

Yipp, feels wierd when i don't have a watch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

It might be in the supply system if the supply sergeant can find it. We had ours sit down with a catalogue and order everything he could find. I came out with maglites, knives, laser grips for a Beretta, space pens, and whatnot.

Could you not just a pencil like everybody else going into space

• Advertisement

kevmy wrote:
    Could you not just a pencil like everybody else going into space
    No the tips could break off and cause major damage to very sensitive equipment. They didn't need special pens anyway as capiliary action of pens doesn't require gravity

Kipperhell wrote:
    No the tips could break off and cause major damage to very sensitive equipment. They didn't need special pens anyway as capiliary action of pens doesn't require gravity

I thought the US spent loads creating a pen that would work in space whereas the Russians just used one of those pencils with the bits of lead that could be clicked down. Or is that just an urban myth.

kevmy wrote:
    I thought the US spent loads creating a pen that would work in space whereas the Russians just used one of those pencils with the bits of lead that could be clicked down. Or is that just an urban myth.
    Urban myth. The actual story is

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Kipperhell wrote:

Looking at that link though it look like normal pens won't work in space. Only pencils and 'Space Pens'

kevmy wrote:
    Looking at that link though it look like normal pens won't work in space. Only pencils and 'Space Pens'
    The link doesn't comment on regular pens but QI did mention real pens would work in zero gravity. Fire concerns made them decide to use the "space pens" as mentioned in the article. The story of pens and pencils is still untrue and urban myth. Nasa never spent a penny on pen developement they just approved the use of the pens. Nasa would get a cut for every pen sold which is a likely reason for approval as the "need". Nasa still make money from merchandise such as Tang.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The 'trick' with the 'space pens' we got, if I recall, is that they can write on wet paper without 'splurging' like a marker, or ripping the soft paper apart like a biro. I've lost the advertising box though.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Always do. It's handier than diggin in a pocket for the phone. And anyway it's a style thing. The only problem I have is that I spend so much time at a PC typing that the damn thing stops every night. (It's a kinetic watch that needs charging by movement)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I use a pocket watch actually, anyone else?

Yes, me. It has an alarm too. Some people call them phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had two of those, they were crap, but they were great. I've always worn a watch and don't plan on changing that anytime soon. I know I could just use my phone but that would feel weird and I like having a well designed watch. It feels a little classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

I've been looking to buy a watch but haven't found one that I would like to wear every day.
    So, alas, I am watchless at the moment.

Hope no one buys me one for Christmas. I'm VERY picky about jewelry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

I have my watch on my wrist almost all the time, even during shower! It's a water resistant Casio digital watch. I think it's easier checking the time on a watch than using a mobile. I have to first take out my mobile from my pocket and then unlock it to see the display. With my watch, I can check time almost instantaneously by just glancing at it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to first take out my mobile from my pocket and then unlock it to see the display. With my watch, I can check time almost instantaneously by just glancing at it :)
    Right there is the very reason that pocket watches fell out of favour. I feel the same way about using a phone to tell the time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I haven't used a watch properly since I had my first mobile phone about....7 or 8 years ago. I wear one the odd time, especially since it was given to me as a present, but mostly I just genuinely forget to put it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

My older brother used to have one of those water watches and he powered it with his own spit. Gross.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

seamus wrote:
    I wear a watch, but I'm pretty sure I don't look at it all that often. Phones are crap, you actually have to take them out of your pocket and press buttons to see the time.

Not all phones.. Some have them as a screensaver..

However, I do agree with you. In general - its a nusiance to be checking time on the phone.

I always wear my watch, only take it of when going to bed.

Advertisement