Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch every day?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Always have a rolex on. It's real. Honest.
    Never haven't worn a watch, feels weird not having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Nope

Had an awful habit of putting it in my phoca when I was younger, before the mobiles were on the scene. Wrists arent the biggest either and they always pulls my arm hairs!

The phone for reading the time does me. Dont see watches as that much of a dressy icon

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

julep wrote:
    true, but you don't have two things to worry about losing.
    I have no idea how someone could manage to lose a watch, and I've never lost a phone, so it's not something that concerns me greatly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

My watch never comes off my wrist, ever.

Think I'm one of a few people that wears their watch on the underside of their wrist with the buckle/clasp pointing up. Prefer it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

Only wear a watch at work but minute I'm in the door off it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I use a pocket watch actually, anyone else?

I always forget to wind it though as I'm not too interested in recording the passage of time as it reminds me of my own mortality.

Oh ****! I was supposed to be in the office over an hour ago!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Trilla wrote:
    Wrists arent the biggest either and they always pulls my arm hairs!
    Buy a strap.:) Never liked the metal bracelet ones myself. They only really work if you've wrists like fenceposts.
    Dont see watches as that much of a dressy icon
    I suppose they're one of the few items of jewelery a man can wear without looking too daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

My other watch cost €500. I don't wear it any more as I have started to wear silver and it doesn't match. I do take my watch off at times during work. It depends on what I'm doing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I wear one every day, for the time and date.
    I take it off in the Summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

I never wear a watch, ever. Phone/System clock does the job no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

I always wear my watch, one of those remote control ones that can control tvs. I use it to mess with tvs when I'm drunk in a pub.

I love turning off a telly with a match on, especially when the pub is full of braying Liverpool fans. I usually wait for a tense moment, like a penalty, before doing it. I've caused a few near-riots and no-one ever suspects me. ;)

I also get a great kick out of changing channels to something that has a sex scene on and then turning the volume right up as some chick orgasms. This is particularly funny in an old man's pub.

Yes, I know, I'm a git, but it keeps me amused. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

Always wear a watch and have done so since I was a kid. Feels weird without it. Goes on first thing in the morning and comes off last thing at night (and when doing work where there is a contamination risk).

agamemnon wrote:
    I always wear my watch, one of those remote control ones that can control tvs. I use it to mess with tvs when I'm drunk in a pub.

I love turning off a telly with a match on, especially when the pub is full of braying Liverpool fans. I usually wait for a tense moment, like a penalty, before doing it. I've caused a few near-riots and no-one ever suspects me. ;)

I also get a great kick out of changing channels to something that has a sex scene on and then turning the volume right up as some chick orgasms. This is particularly funny in an old man's pub.

Yes, I know, I'm a git, but it keeps me amused. :D

You obviously know what exact time these scenes are going to be on at? A pm wouldn't go a miss.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No, just use zee mobile is good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

seamus wrote:
    I wear a watch, but I'm pretty sure I don't look at it all that often. Phones are crap, you actually have to take them out of your pocket and press buttons to see the time.
    simply sellotape your fone to your arm....job done!!

gucci wrote:
    simply sellotape your fone to your arm....job done!!

Like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

petes wrote:
    You obviously know what exact time these scenes are going to be on at? A pm wouldn't go a miss.:D

Good ol' RTE Guide is usually enough. If there's a film with Heather Graham on, go to the pub for it and any time you change over, there'll be some action. Thank you Heather, you're the best reason in the world to have a remote control watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I never wore a watch when I was younger but my mother bought me a nice one for Christmas 3 years ago and I've worn it since. I always use my watch when I don't wanna take out my phone (ya know, if in a dodgy area), and in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Back when I was in school, I had in on during the day (weren't allowed to have mobiles in school). Now that I'm in college I use my phone. I still use my watch for alarms though.
    A few years ago my watch broke and I got a new one (or maybe the battery died, it was a cheap casio so it's easier to get a new one, can't remember which) I got one the exact same type and model as the last one. A year or two ago, that one's strap broke. Again, I got the same one to replace it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I love watches, I always feel a bit naked without one on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hav'nt worn one for about 15 years. Got clocks on the wall in the car/van/phone why wear one?

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

petes wrote:
    My other watch cost €500. I don't wear it any more as I have started to wear silver and it doesn't match. I do take my watch off at times during work. It depends on what I'm doing at the time.
    Are you a fella?

5starpool wrote:
    Are you a fella?

Yes. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

5starpool wrote:
    Are you a fella?
    hee hee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i allways wear one.. need to be a really really good time keeper in the sport and job that i do so allways need the time.. infact about every 2-3 weeks i set it to RTE time ( witch is what everything is set to) so that i am nearest to the closest second... ( needed for the sport im in)

also about cost i had a fancy one but lost it... i really needed one so i went into a 2 euro shop and bought a 10euro one hasent left my arm sence... would love a new watch tho..

anto-t wrote:
    also about cost i had a fancy one but lost it... i really needed one so i went into a 2 euro shop and bought a 10euro one hasent left my arm sence... would love a new watch tho..

Could you not have bought five?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I used to always were a watch but not much anymore. Odd time maybe. I just use my phone now. I never wore my watch around the house anyway so it just seems like an extra thing to have to remember/grab when going out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

i have my watch on almost 24/7, only take it off when im having a shower.
    feel naked without it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I wear a watch most of the time. Never in the shower or in bed though.

The battery died in it recently though, haven't had a chance to replace it and it feels a bit odd not having it on my arm at the mo!
    Its an old-ish watch though, would love to get a new one sometime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Always wear one. Sometimes take it off for showers or sex.

It's a hell of a lot quicker for me to swivel my wrist a fraction and glance at the hands than to reach down, flip up the 'phone, and read the numbers. Oh, and I work in IT too.

I have a nice, simple $40 dual analogue/digital Casio. It amazes me that people will spend $200+ on a G-Shock or some other such large, flashy watch that does absolutely nothing more than tell the time. ("Dress" watches are excepted from this rant). My little $40 thing has lasted me through tank school and a year in Iraq, if it lasted through that lot, I can't think of any reason for the extra expense for an "Even more solid" watch.

Strap's needed replacing once, though.

NTM

Advertisement