Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch every day?

Options
  • 24-11-2006 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

just wondering how many of you wear a watch every day. I've never gotten into the habit of it, because I've had mobile phones for years and they have the time on them. Plus they get a bit annoying.

When I'm going to a club or something, then I might wear it as a fashion accessory in a sense, but other than that I just use my phone.

I'm beginning to think I'm in the minority.

Do you wear a watch every day? 198 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    53% 105 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    46% 93 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

No, I'm with you on this one. I have a nice Diesel watch (worth a few quid) and I wear it only when I'm going out or sometimes at the weekend.

I work in IT and there's a clock on my pc, so I never found the need for a watch in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Just My View

My missus wears a watch but for all the good it does it might as well be a calendar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My missus wears a watch but for all the good it does it might as well be a calendar.

Ba dum tish !!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I usenta never wear a watch cos i didnt like them but now i do. I lost me watch for a week back there last week and i was beside meself but i have it back now so i'm grand. Watches are dead handy so they are. Mobile phones are a bit crap though

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i use my phone. or the sun/ moon.
    i won a watch in a raffle a while back. the strap didn't even come close to going around my wrist. wouldn't have worn it anyway. i'm not one for fashion accessiories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

im the same with the naked wrist thing, dont feel need too with fones+pcs+clock in car.
    does anyone "collect" watchs? a friend of mines boyfriend i met recently does, it struck me as bit of a strange one for someone who is in his 20s, in his first propper job and strapped for cash like the rest of us :confused: although i have to admit he has about 20, and 15 of them were beautiful...still wouldnt be arsed wearing one though

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

No, I rely on my phone

what's a fone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I used to always wear one but find no need for one now with a mobile phone in my pocket all the time.Not to say though that i wouldnt like one, there are some beautiful watches that i would love to have but they are just too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I always wear a watch. I work in IT too but I am not always at a computer(or one that is turned on). Only time I use my phone for the time is the middle of the night/morning.
    padi89 wrote:
    I used to always wear one but find no need for one now with a mobile phone in my pocket all the time.Not to say though that i wouldnt like one, there are some beautiful watches that i would love to have but they are just too expensive.

The watch I'm wearing now cost me about £110 about 6-7 year ago. Only started wearing it again this time last year. Still looks and works as good as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Would feel nekkid without mine at this stage.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

DaveMcG wrote:
    Hey folks,

just wondering how many of you wear a watch every day. I've never gotten into the habit of it, because I've had mobile phones for years and they have the time on them. Plus they get a bit annoying.

When I'm going to a club or something, then I might wear it as a fashion accessory in a sense, but other than that I just use my phone.

I'm beginning to think I'm in the minority.
    That is pretty much exactly what I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I hate it when I don't have a watch on, end up looking at my bare wrist twenty times a day. The worst is when you wake up in someones house after a party and you've no watch - it could be 6am or 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I wear a nice analogue watch that cost me about €50 a couple of years ago. I'd be lost without a watch. I could go faffing about with my phone every time i need to know what time it is, but I don't always carry it - say when I'm at the gym or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Have'nt worn a watch in about 8 years. I'm left-handed and I always wore my watch on my right wrist.
    Of course, the story going around school was anyone who wears their watch on their right was gay.
    No true in my case, it just more comfortable for me to wear my watch on the right. I could never get used to using my left wrist
    I stopped wearing a watch to stop the abuse then and have used a phone from then on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Actually gonna head to Antwerp tomorrow to pick up a watch and an adidas retro jacket and possibly a stone island coat. Budget for watch is around 600 euro, hoping to get a nice chronometer - i have an acquired taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

micmclo wrote:
    Have'nt worn a watch in about 8 years. I'm left-handed and I always wore my watch on my right wrist.
    Of course, the story going around school was anyone who wears their watch on their right was gay.
    No true in my case, it just more comfortable for me to wear my watch on the right. I could never get used to using my left wrist
    I stopped wearing a watch to stop the abuse then and have used a phone from then on.

Was the same in our school except for piercings. If a lad had his ear pierced on the right he was a bender. Utter tosh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I haven't worn one in many years
    I always had to take it off when I wanted to practice music and then I just got used to having it off
    now, I can't stand anything around my wrist, not a watch or a bracelet
    I always use my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wear a watch, but I'm pretty sure I don't look at it all that often. Phones are crap, you actually have to take them out of your pocket and press buttons to see the time.

true, but you don't have two things to worry about losing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

KTRIC wrote:
    No, I'm with you on this one. I have a nice Diesel watch (worth a few quid) and I wear it only when I'm going out or sometimes at the weekend.

I work in IT and there's a clock on my pc, so I never found the need for a watch in work.
    LOL
    Sorry but how much can a Diesel watch cost or be worth? Max is about €400 which is not expensive for a watch. I also have a Diesel watch which I wear every day

It is strange to see how many people use their phones but I guess that is the younger generation. The idea of using a device like a pocket watch seems old fashioned to me. I guess becasue you can get directly in touch with people being on time is not so important. I miss the gas lamps too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I wear a watch everyday, a chunky Festina one.. and I didn't actually cop it until I read this thread, but I always take off my watch as soon as I get into the office and then put it back on as I'm leaving. I can't even remember when I started doing it, can't actually remember taking it off this morning.. hmmm... wierd! I guess I don't like it hittin off the desk/keyboard or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I cast a rolleyes in the direction of those who spend 400+ plus on a watch :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wear a watch all the time... never take it off (on while playing tennis, swimming, sleeping etc.)

It's nice to know if you're going to be late whilst wandering around town.

Don't use the phone for telling the time (and I'm only 19) - I think out of the people I know it's 50/50 for watch wearing...

People always ask me for the time though... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kipperhell wrote:
    LOL
    Sorry but how much can a Diesel watch cost or be worth? Max is about €400 which is not expensive for a watch. I also have a Diesel watch which I wear every day
    Can they cost that much?:eek: Jeez. Mad given the movements in them cost less than 20 quid(like pretty much all quartz watches).
    It is strange to see how many people use their phones but I guess that is the younger generation. The idea of using a device like a pocket watch seems old fashioned to me.
    Good point. It is like a pocket watch. Funny enough the wristwatch isn't around that long. Only about a hundred years and really only became popular after WW1. Before that it was rare and considered a woman only thing. They may get rare again soon enough. While obviously useful, they seem to be a more a fashion thing for some people, rather than a timepiece.
    Bambi wrote:
    I cast a rolleyes in the direction of those who spend 400+ plus on a watch
    Especially if it's an ordinary quartz job. I can see the reasoning behind a mechanical watch from a good maker. The sort of thing that will still be running on your great grandkids wrist. Then again some women will spend silly money on a bloody handbag or a pair of shoes, so a bloke(or blokette) splashing the cash on an intricate handmade timekeeper with all that history behind it doesn't throw me so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

You can get pretty good watches for 150+ (or 5+ if you just require accurate timekeeping ;) )

Add in chronograph, perpetual calendar, sapphire glass, solar power (or mechanical movement) and the cost soon adds up though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

seamus wrote:
    Phones are crap, you actually have to take them out of your pocket and press buttons to see the time.

Yes, yes thtas exactly why I don't use my phone to tell time. I've worn a watch for years and I'm only 21. Feel lost without it on. I only take it of sleeping and playing sports. Looks pretty snazzy too, cost me about E60 at the time (i think) for the one I have now, an analog one, and everybody think it cost way more. I can't understand spending loads a cash on a watch (in my world over E150 would be crazy) it still tells the same time. You can pick up a decent one from E60 upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I haven't worn a watch since my mum brought me back a really nice fake Breitling from New York about 7 years ago. I took it off and put it beside the register in a bar I was working in because I thought with it being a fake the steam from the glass washer would ruin it. Needless to say the watch took a walk.

I found out a month later when my mother's god-son, a pilot who she'd also picked up the same watch for, showed his one to a jeweller he was friendly with that it was actually a real Breitling chronograph that my mother must have bought from someone selling stolen ones!

Haven't really been able to get over losing a $1600 enough to bring myself to spend money on a nice one again and I wouldn't wear a cheap watch. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Kipperhell wrote:
    LOL

Id love to be on the same wage as you so.

Also, for the sake of this thread, yes I do wear a watch just about everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

havent worn a watch since the battery died in it, 3 years maybe

Advertisement