Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs Open On X-Mass Day, Yay Or Nay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

I Believe They Should Be Open - I Would Go
    Jimoslimos wrote:
    Tell me...when does this strange festival of Boxing Day occur?:confused: I don't think I'd be up for another session after St. Stephens Day ;)

I also call it boxing day. I presume all you good catholics who get their knickers in a twist and insist it be called St Stephen's day spend the day praying and going to mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cianos wrote:
    But why cant we make the right decision ourselves? What is it about Irish people that means our licensing laws have to be far more strict than a lot of countries? Are we less mature, less capable of our European neighbours? Or, what impact do the strict licensing laws have on the perceived 'epidemic' of (binge) drinking culture? The answer always seems to be to make the leash even tighter, but I am for the opposite approach.

And yes your right this is going slightly off topic now:o

Becase Irish people are simply not that responsible. Ever been in the centre
    of any Irish town at 2am on Saturday morning? How many people have been killed on the roads this year as a result of speeding/drunk driving?

Are we less mature? As regard our attitude to alcohol? Absolutely.
    Do we need these laws? Absolutely.

Should the leash be loosened? Well, how would that teach responsibility?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I Believe They Should Be Open - I Would`nt Go
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    of any Irish town at 2am on Saturday morning?

this happens because everyone leaves pubs/clubs at the same time imo
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    How many people have been killed on the roads this year as a result of speeding/drunk driving?

this doesn't happen anywhere except for Ireland :rolleyes:
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:

seen what it's like with more liberal laws? i beklieve in the uk when the 24 hour drinking was brought into the UK, violence on the street cut down by some bit. why do tell, can't that happen here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Mossy Monk wrote:

seen what it's like with more liberal laws? i beklieve in the uk when the 24 hour drinking was brought into the UK, violence on the street cut down by some bit. why do tell, can't that happen here?

Exactly. With 24 hour drinking, people will go out later, leave at different times and you won't have most of the drunk people congregating in the same place at the same time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

petes wrote:
    Exactly. With 24 hour drinking, people will go out later, leave at different times and you won't have most of the drunk people congregating in the same place at the same time.
    Although most of the 24 hour licenses that were applied for in the UK went to the likes of Tesco's and not to pubs and clubs, the new law does make it easier for them to get slightly extended hours as well I think which then staggers when people are all turfed out onto the street which reduces the chances of incidents occurring.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pubs should remain closed and infact should close more often, really no need for them to be open so much, far too many people spent time away from their familys and its a bad culture to have!

Plus people working in pubs need more time off :)

Mossy Monk wrote:
    this happens because everyone leaves pubs/clubs at the same time imo

this doesn't happen anywhere except for Ireland :rolleyes:

....so nothing to do with going out with the attitude "I am going to get soooo ****ing trolled tonight!",eh?

More liberal laws work ABROAD because people are more responsible ABROAD. NOT the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Cabaal wrote:
    Pubs should remain closed and infact should close more often, really no need for them to be open so much, far too many people spent time away from their familys and its a bad culture to have!

Plus people working in pubs need more time off :)

Who are you to dictate how other people should live their lives?
    Sorry If I appear pedantic, but seriously closing a pub so that people spend time with their families is ridiculous. Pubs should be open 24/7. If they were, there would be no need for these crazy binge drinking sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think the thread is going to bring up opinins whereby people say how they think people should live their lives.
    We are told and regulated every day in how to run our lives. Its part and parcel of civilisation.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Other - Please State
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    of any Irish town at 2am on Saturday morning?

If you have thousands of people in the same place at the same time, most of them locked, herded out by bouncers and hitting the fresh air for the first time after necking a couple of pints at last orders, piling into the local chipper queueing for half an hour to get a batter burger, its going to kick off.

On the other hand if you have people leaving the pub when they feel like going home, in dribs and drabs and in no panic or rush, be it at 10pm or 2am, with a lot less people on the streets, which of the two scenarios would lead to more trouble?

Should the leash be loosened? Well, how would that teach responsibility?

The reason we are less mature is because we are being treated like children. If you are constantly treated like a child, you will start to act like a child. What would be so terrible about allowing people to make their own decisions about drinking? Without closing times are people going to go to the pub on Friday, and stay there til 5am Monday morning? Hardly the case. Whether you like to believe it or not people have a sense of responsibility even when drink is involved. People are still going to go home and get up on Monday morning and go to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Cianos wrote:
    People are still going to go home and get up on Monday morning and go to work.

Allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    ....so nothing to do with going out with the attitude "I am going to get soooo ****ing trolled tonight!",eh?

ah yes. this is something that happens again, only in Ireland? have you ever been abroad? and i am not talking about package holidays. the attitude of going out to get pissed is not exclusively an Irish thing

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Other - Please State
    Loads of people getting wasted in Pubs rather than at Home... *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

sjones wrote:
    Sorry If I appear pedantic, but seriously closing a pub so that people spend time with their families is ridiculous. Pubs should be open 24/7. If they were, there would be no need for these crazy binge drinking sessions.

If the attitude of people is that when pubs shut for one day they have to go on a mad drinking binge then I'd have to argue in favour of more restrictive licensing laws not less.

Also maybe the law serves the dual purpose of keeping kids out of the pub on Xmas day. Regardless of religious beliefs etc., Christmas is a time of wonder/excitement for most children - dragging them to the pub every Xmas day ain't exactly a recipe for happy childhood memories

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Cianos wrote:
    If you have thousands of people in the same place at the same time, most of them locked, herded out by bouncers and hitting the fresh air for the first time after necking a couple of pints at last orders, piling into the local chipper queueing for half an hour to get a batter burger, its going to kick off.

On the other hand if you have people leaving the pub when they feel like going home, in dribs and drabs and in no panic or rush, be it at 10pm or 2am, with a lot less people on the streets, which of the two scenarios would lead to more trouble?

The reason we are less mature is because we are being treated like children. If you are constantly treated like a child, you will start to act like a child. What would be so terrible about allowing people to make their own decisions about drinking? Without closing times are people going to go to the pub on Friday, and stay there til 5am Monday morning? Hardly the case. Whether you like to believe it or not people have a sense of responsibility even when drink is involved. People are still going to go home and get up on Monday morning and go to work.

Well said i have been saying all this for years. No fights if peope where allowed leave when they wanted also i would see less drink driving if someone knows that if they just sit there and drink for a few more hours they can get a bus home in the morning

Mossy Monk wrote:
    ah yes. this is something that happens again, only in Ireland? have you ever been abroad? and i am not talking about package holidays. the attitude of going out to get pissed is not exclusively an Irish thing

Lived in three countries any only encountered it twice. The word I waould use is PREDOMINANTLY an Irish thing.
    Cianos wrote:

So why is it that this behaviour is blamed on someone or something else? Yes, the conditions are there, but it doesn't mean the opportunity should be availed of. Self-discipline is the sign of responsibility, and there is **** all self-discipline in this scenario.

User45701 wrote:
    Well said i have been saying all this for years. No fights if peope where allowed leave when they wanted also i would see less drink driving if someone knows that if they just sit there and drink for a few more hours they can get a bus home in the morning

Well if we were all that mature sure why don't some of us go to the pub earlier and leave a few hours before closing?

Why - because we're sheep that's why (baa!)

Other - Please State
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    So why is it that this behaviour is blamed on someone or something else? Yes, the conditions are there, but it doesn't mean the opportunity should be availed of. Self-discipline is the sign of responsibility, and there is **** all self-discipline in this scenario.

Of course these people are otherwise sensible members of society but once they get a bit pi$$ed and a bit brave and something ticks them off something is probably going to happen. Its a simple logistics problem. Thousands of drunk people in the same place at the same time equals a much higher chance of trouble kicking off. Most drunken fights start over stupid reasons like someone shoving into someone else or a few misplaced words escalating into a full blown argument. And its only a fraction of the punters that end up in fights. But this is enough to put unnecessary strain on Garda, taxi's/buses, not to mention A+E's across the country.

Cianos wrote:
    Of course these people are otherwise sensible members of society but once they get a bit pi$$ed and a bit brave and something ticks them off something is probably going to happen. Its a simple logistics problem. Thousands of drunk people in the same place at the same time equals a much higher chance of trouble kicking off. Most drunken fights start over stupid reasons like someone shoving into someone else or a few misplaced words escalating into a full blown argument. And its only a fraction of the punters that end up in fights. But this is enough to put unnecessary strain on Garda, taxi's/buses, not to mention A+E's across the country.

Logistics my arse!!

Now go back and read what I said about self-dsicipline and repsonsibility and stop defending drunken rages by gob****es who've drunk too much because...

Other - Please State
    Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Logistics my arse!!

Now go back and read what I said about self-dsicipline and repsonsibility and stop defending drunken rages by gob****es who've drunk too much because...

How was I defending their actions?! I was saying that by putting that amount of drunk people in the same place at the same time something is bound to happen. Of course they are gobsh!tes for starting fights. But if the conditions were changed there would not be as much opportunity for people to act like gobsh!tes.

• Advertisement

Cianos wrote:
    How was I defending their actions?! I was saying that by putting that amount of drunk people in the same place at the same time something is bound to happen. Of course they are gobsh!tes for starting fights. But if the conditions were changed there would not be as much opportunity for people to act like gobsh!tes.

You implied that it wasn't their fault and blamed it on logistics. That is the same is defending.

The question is why are these people drunk to the point that they would take this course of action, not who put them in the same place

Cianos wrote:

You implied that it wasn't their fault and blamed it on logistics. That is the same is defending.

The question is why are these people drunk to the point that they would take this course of action, not who put them in the same place

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Well if we were all that mature sure why don't some of us go to the pub earlier and leave a few hours before closing?

Why - because we're sheep that's why (baa!)

wo wo wo......

1. Im a Fish, Not a sheep

2. the reason i go to pubs late is because i work and the reason why most poeple go so late is money reasons they get a few cans or bottles or whatever drink for a few hours and THEN go to town making the overall night cheeper

User45701 wrote:
    1. Im a Fish, Not a sheep

Apologies my piscine friend ;)
    User45701 wrote:
    2. the reason i go to pubs late is because i work and the reason why most poeple go so late is money reasons they get a few cans or bottles or whatever drink for a few hours and THEN go to town making the overall night cheeper

Fact is most people ARE sheep. Money issues play little part - people will drink at home until 12-1oclock instead of 10 and then go out instead. If one pub is open until 5-6am and other shut earlier everybody will eventually gravitate towards that one. So when the last pub shuts its doors (no pub will remain open 24/7) trouble starts. End result - inevitability has been postponed for 3hs at most.

Anyhow what makes pubs so essential that they need to open 24/7 and 365 (instead of 363) days a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

sjones wrote:
    Pubs should be open 24/7. If they were, there would be no need for these crazy binge drinking sessions.
    clear this up for me, are you implying that there is a need for binge drinking as the law stands, a need, as in an uncontrollable compulsion and not a selfish hankering!

Jimoslimos wrote:
    Apologies my piscine friend ;)

Fact is most people ARE sheep. Money issues play little part - people will drink at home until 12-1oclock instead of 10 and then go out instead. If one pub is open until 5-6am and other shut earlier everybody will eventually gravitate towards that one. So when the last pub shuts its doors (no pub will remain open 24/7) trouble starts. End result - inevitability has been postponed for 3hs at most.

Anyhow what makes pubs so essential that they need to open 24/7 and 365 (instead of 363) days a year.

You do make a good point i mean pubs will have to close for cleaning and stuff like that but if pubs where 24/7 there would always be at least 25 pubs open all the time or maybe even some sort of rotation by people who own more than 1 pub - they switch between the pub opening hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pubs should be closed for all of Lent, perhaps open a few hours of St Patrick's Day. Although the bible should be read out loud during the open hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I Believe They Should Remain Closed For Family Reasons
    Christmas is a time for the family not drinking in your local.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cut the pub workers some slack. Let them have the day off. They get few of them as it is. And gosh, do we need to have pubs open 365 days a year to survive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Plug wrote:
    Christmas is a time for the family not drinking in your local.
    That's making an assumption that Christmas is relevant for everyone, which it isn't.

Hopefully as we get more Chinese and similar cultures into the country we'll start to get more businesses opening.

Advertisement