Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs Open On X-Mass Day, Yay Or Nay?

Options
  • 08-11-2006 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

What do all think on this issue? I believe that pubs should open on christmass day, mainly because i am anti religious and i think that it is was religious reasons originally to have pubs closed on christmass day.

But ofcoarse there is the problem of ...

1.People who don't want 2 and should not have to work on christmass day, but if working was optional (3x pay or something) then it would be cool with me.

2.There are some "bad" people who would just spend the day there and not with there family or maybe even me drunkenly violent towards family and kids (this was a point that someone brought up in work today)

Then again there are allot of people alone on x-mass day and i feel very strongly that they should have a place to go and at least be with other people.

Because of the reason just above i have to say that pubs should be open with working optional (so not all pubs would be open)

Should Pubs Be Open On Christmass Day? 222 votes

I Believe They Should Remain Closed For Religious Reasons
    0%
    I Believe They Should Remain Closed For Family Reasons
    4%
    Snake PliskenPlugiregkmdebetsRockeeim_invisibleEvo9ksirCatari Jaguar 9 votes
    I Believe They Should Be Open - I Would Go
    68%
    gandalfjdLumpD-Generatede5p0i1erneuro-praxisTazz TRonan|RavenLuciferbyteDMCTom DunneTippexdaveharlowethe_sycoSimonMaherct5amr2ig1nfhporangeroosterleeroybrownlayke 151 votes
    I Believe They Should Be Open - I Would`nt Go
    13%
    TwoShedsJacksonPHBMossy MonkscojonesWackerrubadubJohnKGuy:IncognitomonkeyfudgeCalidenErinGoBrathUser45701smithy1981EoinMatthewthebigrobinphIrishpimpdudeed6hellsfreshcountyBinomate 29 votes
    Other - Please State
    14%
    StephenLennyTheWolfGordonNeMiSiSOur man in HavanaBlistermansnickerpussTiestoSleepybringitdownSuaimhneachKingp35BrockJC 2K3Alkersmp3guyCiaran500tribuluslardboy 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

There are only two days of the year that pubs close surely we can live with that. I'm not a religious person and I love a drink but pubs shouldn't open Christmas Day. People will be forced to work without a doubt and children will be left while one or both parents is off down the pub....call me an old traditionalist but I just hope pubs never open on Christmas Day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Other - Please State
    Pubs are officially supposed to be cosed BUT if you look hard enough you will always find a pub that will be open and will let you in the side door.

There is one pub in Dalkey that is always open on Christmas day even if it doesnt seem that it is open :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think there's an actual law to close pubs on Christmas Day....or is there?

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. As it stands, anyone who's going to, spends the day getting trollied at home. So it wouldn't have any major effect on the level of drunken violence. It may even reduce it, as people can "escape" down to the pub and chill out if they need to.

The only thing that would put me off is young people being "forced" to work as lounge boys/girls instead of spending the day with their families.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What's religion got to do with it?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The only thing that would put me off is young people being "forced" to work as lounge boys/girls instead of spending the day with their families.

This is what i mean. And yeah it is against the law to sell alchohol on Christmas day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    What's religion got to do with it?

Some people believe that christmass day is a religious holiday about god and jesus and that you should go to church and spend the whole day with family and friends in gods love ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

User45701 wrote:
    1.People who don't want 2 and should not have to work on christmass day, but if working was optional (3x pay or something) then it would be cool with me.

Would people be willing to pay 3x the price for the drink?

As there are only two days pubs are shut I think it should be left that way - not for religious reasons - someone somewhere would be forced to 'volunteer' to work that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

User45701 wrote:
    Some people believe that christmass day is a religious holiday about god and jesus and that you should go to church and spend the whole day with family and friends in gods love ect.

Weirdos :rolleyes:

My grandparents owned a pub and Good Friday and Christmas Day were the only two days they closed, I reckon it should stay that way. Shops shouldn't really open on Christmas either.

seamus wrote:

As i said make it optional to work and offer 3x pay to compensate

EDIT:
    datk wrote:
    Would people be willing to pay 3x the price for the drink?

As there are only two days pubs are shut I think it should be left that way - not for religious reasons - someone somewhere would be forced to 'volunteer' to work that day.

True actually 3x for the price of a drink would be a bit much but there are days when staff are double payed in lots of jobs but the shop does not charge 2x the price... I would pay a little extra for a drink on christmass day myself now not 2x or anything crazy like that but say 10% more or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

the publican should have the option to open,simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,163 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

User45701 wrote:

Think the religios link to Christmas day has been all but killed. It;s a bit hypocritical to think the pub should be closed for rleigious reasons if you don;t go to mass every Sunday. ANd a bit sad if you can;t go a day without a drink.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

User45701 wrote:
    As i said make it optional to work and offer 3x pay to compensate
    Of course it would be optional to work, but you know as well as I do that young adults in these kinds of jobs are often exploited. Because they're paid under the table and are generally ignorant of their rights, if the employer makes it clear that they've no job unless they work Christmas Day (even at triple pay), they'll do it.
    ANd a bit sad if you can;t go a day without a drink.
    In fairness, there are few people in this country who go without drink on Christmas Day.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    ANd a bit sad if you can;t go a day without a drink.

No drink on Christmas day??? Eh... offo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

They should not open on Xmas day. It's only one day. Too many people would just sod off down the pub instead of spending the day with family. I like a pint as much as the next guy but I can manage not going to the pub for one day.

aidan24326 wrote:
    They should not open on Xmas day. It's only one day. Too many people would just sod off down the pub instead of spending the day with family. I like a pint as much as the next guy but I can manage not going to the pub for one day.

no you`ll stay at home and get drunk:rolleyes: ;)

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Think the religious link to christmas day has been all but killed. It;s a bit hypocritical to think the pub should be closed for religious reasons if you don;t go to mass every Sunday. And a bit sad if you can;t go a day without a drink.

Well hold on I have to say that even those who don't go to the pub - most of them will drink at home on x-mass day if its wine or cans/bottle or even whiskey most people do drink on christmass day

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Pubs should of course stay closed on Christmas Day. Can't people even do 2 days out of the whole year without going to a pub? Maybe they should be closed more often. At one time they were closed on St. Patrick's Day too. At that time there was an annual dog show in the RDS on St. Patrick's Day. There was a bar in it. The dog show always got huge crowds. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I voted that they should remain closed for family reasons. I'm not religious and don't like doing things just for the sake of religion but regardless of the (somewhat diluted) religious associations I think that the majority of people in Ireland still treat Christmas Day as a family day. I think that deep down all but the most religious in Ireland view it as a family holiday first and a religious thing second if at all.

While Christmas day remains as the main national holiday I think that the pubs should be prevented from opening. If it gets to the stage where you hop in the car on Christmas day and pick up a couple of DVD rentals on your way back from Tesco and Woodies then I'd be the first to agree that the pubs should be allowed to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

See here for the exact same comments that will most likely be aired here. Not much has changed since Easter.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054916099&referrerid=&highlight=pubs+closed+good+friday
    As you may read from the post I am against pubs opening on Good Friday or Christmas day for various reasons-not many people agree with me, but thats life.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

While Christmas day remains as the main national holiday

Christmas Day is not the main national holiday, St. Patrick's Day is. Even in the Christian churches Christmas Day is not the most important day of the year. Easter Sunday is. Many people would also put some other days like Good Friday or Pentecost ahead of Christmas Day in terms of importance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The one thing I like about Christmas Day is the fact nowhere is open. The fact you have one day a year to chill out with your family. If the pubs open, then we will have convienence stores opening and then DIY Stores and then Supermarkets until it just becomes another Bank Holiday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I think that they should be closed for family reasons - Christmas is a real time for spending time with your family (and celebrating the lives of those who have passed) and nothing should interfere with that.

We used to always go to granddad and grandmums graves and visit one of my aunts who sadly passed away a few years ago and visit granny who passed away this year so this Christmas will be a time to celebrate those lives.

The idea of having a pub open and taking away from that family time is horrible.

gandalf wrote:
    If the pubs open, then we will have convienence stores opening

The shop I work in has opened quite a few Christmas days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

county wrote:
    the publican should have the option to open,simple as that

Agreed. It doesn't bother me either way though as me no drinkeh zee alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Flukey wrote:
    Christmas Day is not the main national holiday, St. Patrick's Day is. Even in the Christian churches Christmas Day is not the most important day of the year. Easter Sunday is. Many people would also put some other days like Good Friday or Pentecost ahead of Christmas Day in terms of importance.
    I should have chosen my words more carefully. Christmas Day is the day of the year when the least number of people are working. It also lies during the main holiday period of the year. Paddy's Day by comparison is just a glorified bank holiday.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I know of quite a few shops that open but typically only for a few hours on a skeleton staff so that church going people can get milk and replace the out of date Bisto on the way home from mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Where are they based?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

We did spend last Christmas in a hotel though and that was our best Christmas ever, I felt guilty for the staff working but they did help us have a great Christmas after a tough year, have fond memories of having a pint that evening with my family and chilling out. Am very greatful to all those people in the hotel who made our time so special.

Ruu wrote:
    Agreed. It doesn't bother me either way though as me no drinkeh zee alcohol.
    freak:D ;)

There are a few 24hr garages open on x-mass day i know that i went to one last year at about 5pm and passed by it again at 2am was still open

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote:
    Where are they based?

Dublin 15. Used to open from around 8 until 2 I think. Haven't done it in a couple of years, obviously wasn't worth paying a couple of staff €25+ an hour.

Advertisement