Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs Open On X-Mass Day, Yay Or Nay?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I Believe They Should Be Open - I Would Go
    bonkey wrote:
    One question for all those voting "close for family reasons"...

What about people with no family?

Just because you're lucky enough to have someone to spend Christmas with doesn't mean that everyone else is.

How about friends? Do you have any of those? Is the pub the only place you can meet them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I Believe They Should Be Open - I Would`nt Go
    How about friends? Do you have any of those? Is the pub the only place you can meet them?

There's no need to be so ignorant. This isn't TCN or The Thunderdome.
    Were you ever taught how to have a constructive debate? If so, it really doesn't look like it.

My point was that you can spend time with your friends on Christmas too. And it doesn't always have to be in a pub.
    Was that spelled out clearly enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

bonkey wrote:

Just because you're lucky enough to have someone to spend Christmas with doesn't mean that everyone else is.

Exactly
    My point was that you can spend time with your friends on Christmas too. And it doesn't always have to be in a pub.
    Was that spelled out clearly enough for you?

There are people who have no friends aswell you know.
    What about all the foreign people who would come here for work not all of them would have family and its wrong for them to have to sit at home by themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You're assuming that his friends are not otherwise engaged with their family on that day. Common sense would say that people are often busy doing things with their families on christmas day and do not have time to spend with their friends. I'm fairly sure that was the point he was making. What about the people who have no family and whos friends are otherwise engaged?
    Is that clear enough for you?
    If someone wants to go to the pub on christmas day because they have nobody to be with then I really don't see the problem with this. It's their life.
    It's amazing how uptight you people are.

Now instead of trying to find a flaw in what I have said in order to win this argument why not just listen to what I am saying and appreciate their situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Other - Please State
    I think publicans should have the right to open if they choose to do so, whilst obviously staff would have the right to refuse to work if they didn't want to (like a bank holiday etc.).

sjones wrote:
    You're assuming that his friends are not otherwise engaged with their family on that day. Common sense would say that people are often busy doing things with their families on christmas day and do not have time to spend with their friends. I'm fairly sure that was the point he was making. What about the people who have no family and whos friends are otherwise engaged?
    Is that clear enough for you?
    If someone wants to go to the pub on christmas day because they have nobody to be with then I really don't see the problem with this. It's their life.
    It's amazing how uptight you people are.

Now instead of trying to find a flaw in what I have said in order to win this argument why not just listen to what I am saying and appreciate their situation.

Someone here in work has made the point that if someone had no family then a friend or work collauge would be aware of this and invite them to there own family x-mass dinner, i certanly remember from when i was a kid a family friend (no releation) was in her late 30`s when i was around 5-11 and i remember her comming for christmass dinner every year because she didnt have anywhere elce to go she was invited.

I have to say that was quite nice of my mother and grandmother to invite her but if it was me a few years from now with family deceased and no longer having friends due to arguments or other reasons i think i might feel quite awkward or embarrassed if i was invited to someone else's family dinner.

Anyone ever see the
    "X-files, Season 4, Episode 7: Musings of a ciggeratre smoking man"
    Its a great episode follows the life story of the smoking man or cancer man. and it has some relevance to what where talking about.
    I think that no matter how proud or strong a person is mentally, it could be hard to spend christmass alone in a house or apartment...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm a barman, and i'd never work Christmas Day regardless of how much i'd get paid. I'm busy enough for the rest of the period... that reminds me, must try and get stephans day off aswell this year.:D

Saying that, i have no problem with a pub opening Good Friday... I've often drank in a pub on good friday also.... one of the few perks of being a barman...

sjones wrote:
    What about the people who have no family and whos friends are otherwise engaged?

I've worked abroad for the last five years so I wasn't near family. I did manage to make friends though so I don't fit into both categories. I generally gravitated to people in a similar situation to me and we spent Christmas together. It just seems unusual that somebody wouldn't have any friends that they could spend time with. I would think that most people would be able to do that. Generally people aren't that unfriendly.
    There are guys in work with me here that I only met a couple of weeks ago and already I'd be comfortable having them visit if they had nobody else to spend Christmas with.

Anyway. It's getting off topic now so I won't argue with you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

bonkey wrote:

Very true, but is sitting alone in the pub all day going to make that person feel any better? Hardly. I can imagine the pub being a very depressing place on christmas day if you were already feeling lonely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It just seems unusual that somebody wouldn't have any friends that they could spend time with. I would think that most people would be able to do that. Generally people aren't that unfriendly

Maybe not that unusal. Some people just have very few friends for whatever reason. And lots of people nowadays are 'that unfriendly'. The neighbourly goodwill of yesteryear barely exists now in Ireland where everybody is busy looking after number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Other - Please State
    The sooner Irish people stop thinking a pub is a completely different entity to any other business and deserved of all this extra attention, the better.

Publicans should have the choice, simple as. Creating laws based around a type of liquid is mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not religious or much of a drinker (and I hate Christmas) but I think they should remain closed for the sake of the staff. Its easy to say only let people work if they want to but it doesn't work that way. And if the pubs opened everywhere else would as well. Bank holidays have been made practically meaningless in recent years, lets hold on to Christmas as a genuine holiday for a little while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cianos wrote:
    Creating laws based around a type of liquid is mad.

Like, oooh I dunno... drink driving? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The sooner Irish people stop thinking a pub is a completely different entity to any other business and deserved of all this extra attention, the better.

Publicans should have the choice, simple as. Creating laws based around a type of liquid is mad.
    Thats one of the stupidest and most irresponsible things I have ever heard.

A pub is a different entity to other business simply because of the main liquid it sells.
    Alcohol is a drug. Used incorrectly its highly dangerous, like any drug.
    Publicians shouldnt have the choice for the numerous reasons listed above.
    You on the other hand should realise the stupidity of your comments.

Other - Please State
    Of course I agree with you in those senses.

I probably should have been a bit more articulate.

What I mean to say is that Irish people are obsessed with pubs and drink to an unhealthy level on a society-wide basis. A pub is simply a place where people go to have a drink. Like a café. Yet we are always being told what time we can go at, when we have to go home and so on. Thus we get even more up in arms about lashing in the drink because we're afraid we wont get enough. Its a viscious circle, and even though we are so fond of our drink it is still such a taboo subject. I think if we werent as obsessive about pubs and drink, we'd have a lot less to worry about.

Edit: For anyone who has travelled around Europe you will know that their licensing laws are so much more liberal yet they seem to have far far less drink related problems.

Of course I agree with you in those senses.

I probably should have been a bit more articulate.

What I mean to say is that Irish people are obsessed with pubs and drink to an unhealthy level on a society-wide basis. A pub is simply a place where people go to have a drink. Like a café. Yet we are always being told what time we can go at, when we have to go home and so on. Thus we get even more up in arms about lashing in the drink because we're afraid we wont get enough. Its a viscious circle, and even though we are so fond of our drink it is still such a taboo subject. I think if we werent as obsessive about pubs and drink, we'd have a lot less to worry about.
    The point is, the drink they are having is alcoholic, a dangerous drug, which needs to be regulated in some form.
    We are gone off topic here really, as people should be able to accept the fact that pubs are closed two days a year, vintners know that when they get their licenses so no sympathy to them, people should make time for other things that day, if they dont want to then they should have beers with friends at home.
    If people dont like it then they should move elsewhere.
    By the way, this topic will be discussed again at easter so I'll be keeping the link from this and last years easter post handy to repost.
    Kippy

Other - Please State
    kippy wrote:
    The point is, the drink they are having is alcoholic, a dangerous drug, which needs to be regulated in some form.
    We are gone off topic here really, as people should be able to accept the fact that pubs are closed two days a year, vintners know that when they get their licenses so no sympathy to them, people should make time for other things that day, if they dont want to then they should have beers with friends at home.
    If people dont like it then they should move elsewhere.
    By the way, this topic will be discussed again at easter so I'll be keeping the link from this and last years easter post handy to repost.
    Kippy

It does need to be regulated in some form. Drink driving being a very obvious one. But not to the extent that which it is imo. It's like the bold child, who only wants what he is not allowed.

The point I'm trying to make is that pubs should not be treated any differently to any other business. Just because they sell alcoholic drinks, does not mean they should by law have to close on Christmas and Easter, while every other shop or outlet can open or close as they please. Should shops selling cigarettes have to close by law because nicotine is a dangerous drug? Again its coming back to that old Irish obsession with drink and how as a nation we have been forced into 'behaving' when it comes to drink.

It does need to be regulated in some form. Drink driving being a very obvious one. But not to the extent that which it is imo. It's like the bold child, who only wants what he is not allowed.

The point I'm trying to make is that pubs should not be treated any differently to any other business. Just because they sell alcoholic drinks, does not mean they should by law have to close on Christmas and Easter, while every other shop or outlet can open or close as they please. Should shops selling cigarettes have to close by law because nicotine is a dangerous drug? Again its coming back to that old Irish obsession with drink and how as a nation we have been forced into 'behaving' when it comes to drink.
    Pubs should and are in more ways than this treated differently to any other business. Every business and every different type of business is regulated/treated differently to other types of business. Think recent groceries order, hygiene standards in restaurents etc etc.
    Nicotine and Alcohol are two totally different drugs with two totally different issues. We all know what alcohol can cause. Nicotine, like alcohol is under similiar legislation regard age groups of people it can be sold to.

Anyway, the reason that pubs close on these two days is religious and historic more so than for the good of the health and wellbeing of the people so our points are kind of lost in this thread.
    People have to be forced into behaving when it comes to anything if they cannot make the "right" decisions themselves.

Other - Please State
    kippy wrote:
    People have to be forced into behaving when it comes to anything if they cannot make the "right" decisions themselves.

But why cant we make the right decision ourselves? What is it about Irish people that means our licensing laws have to be far more strict than a lot of countries? Are we less mature, less capable of our European neighbours? Or, what impact do the strict licensing laws have on the perceived 'epidemic' of (binge) drinking culture? The answer always seems to be to make the leash even tighter, but I am for the opposite approach.

And yes your right this is going slightly off topic now:o

• Advertisement

But why cant we make the right decision ourselves? What is it about Irish people that means our licensing laws have to be far more strict than a lot of countries? Are we less mature, less capable of our European neighbours? Or, what impact do the strict licensing laws have on the perceived 'epidemic' of (binge) drinking culture? The answer always seems to be to make the leash even tighter, but I am for the opposite approach.

And yes your right this is going slightly off topic now
    The same could be said of Irish people regarding our driving laws, a lot of topics in the motor forum are regards reducing road deaths. In a lot of situations drivers are to blame and laws need to be enforced and possibly made a lot stricter in many instances because of the lack of care of some people in responsible driving. The same can be said for drinking.
    I do see what you are saying and I dont think there would be any problem in testing the lease being a bit less tight for a while, but I honestly dont believe things would be any better.
    Its not really for these reasons why I think the pubs should remain closed on the two days of the year that they are, its more because that one of the things that makes Christmas day different and unique for many people.

Either way, I am all for leaving this particular law/situation as it is.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The day has no religious significance for me and I'm not on speaking terms with a good few members of my family so I tend to have to spend Xmas in exile. So I'd definitely love to be able to sit in the pub with a pint of Guinness and a good book on Xmas day... It would certainly beat sitting in my office and posting here which is what I've been doing for the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

"closed for family" was my choice. i'm a little surprised that when we have such a hysteria about binge drinking in ireland people are whining about the pub being closed 1 day, even though they can drink at home. granted good friday is a crock but christmas is special for non religous reasons aswell.

not to mention the already mentioned point of no public transport and the temptation to drink and drive

The day has no religious significance for me and I'm not on speaking terms with a good few members of my family so I tend to have to spend Xmas in exile. So I'd definitely love to be able to sit in the pub with a pint of Guinness and a good book on Xmas day... It would certainly beat sitting in my office and posting here which is what I've been doing for the past few years.
    Sorry to hear that, perhaps it would be a good time to make up with your family.

kippy wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, perhaps it would be a good time to make up with your family.

I have to say its not very fair for anyone who does not know the specifics to say that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

I think they should be closed on Xmas but should definitely be allowed to open on Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Bar staff need a day off too. Let them spend a day with there family, we can go one day drinking at home.

have to say its not very fair for anyone who does not know the specifics to say that.....
    Fair enough.
    But it is a good time to mend bridges.
    People arent around forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Xmas Day shoiuld be a day for family, and the pubs being closed, empty streets etc makes it feel a bit diferent. Plus the subsequent Boxing Day session makes up for it.

But as for Good Friday - that's just silly. It's a Bank Holiday weekend and we wanna have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Tazz T wrote:
    Plus the subsequent Boxing Day session makes up for it.

Tell me...when does this strange festival of Boxing Day occur?:confused: I don't think I'd be up for another session after St. Stephens Day ;)

Advertisement