Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Ireland went to war...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

ThatGuy wrote:
    ahem

The Air Corps' current fleet is as follows:
    1 AgustaWestland AW139
    7 Aérospatiale Alouette 316Bs,
    2 CASA CN-235s,
    5 Cessna FR.172s,
    1 Bombardier Learjet 45,
    1 Gulfstream Aerospace G-IV,
    1 Beechcraft Super King Air 200,
    8 Pilatus PC-9Ms.
    2 Eurocopter EC 135s

In addition, the Air Corps operates (on behalf of An Garda Siochana)
    1 AS 355N Twin Squirrel,
    1 Eurocopter EC 135T2,
    1 Britten-Norman BN2T-4S Defender 4000.

That's incredible. 31 well aimed shots and our entire airforce is kaput

Let's hold up any invasion plans for a while, at least until we are into double figures on at least one of the items on that list.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks like the Irish army won't get too far...

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/databases/armies/e.asp

we're number 33 out of 40 in Europe alone... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

look,first,we wait until election yr[2008] for presidentsy in america.bush will invade new contry,britian will help,we sneak into brittian,and take over with the help of al quaeda.
    then,our reserve forces take northern ireland.
    Then,its onto the REST of the world!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Dyflin wrote:
    Looks like the Irish army won't get too far...

http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/databases/armies/e.asp

we're number 33 out of 40 in Europe alone... :rolleyes:

Sweet, the Irish Empire will initially be comprised of Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia, Moldova, Macedonia and Lithuania. Then we shall move onto aquiring more of Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cyrus the virus

This all reminds me of a joke:

IRISH DECLARE WAR ON FRANCE

Jacques Chirac was sitting in his office when his telephone rang. "Hallo! Mr.Chirac," a heavily accented voice said. "This is Paddy down in County Cavan, Ireland. I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on you!"
    "Well, Paddy," Chirac replied, "This is indeed important news! Tell me, how big is your army?"
    "At this moment in time," said Paddy after a moment's calculation, "there is myself, my cousin Seán, my next door neighbour Gerry, and the entire dominoes team from the pub-that makes 8!"
    Jacques Chirac sighed. "I must tell you Paddy that I have 300,000 men in my army waiting to move on my command."
    "Begorra!", said Paddy, "I'll have to ring you back!"

Sure enough, the next day Paddy rang back. "Right Mr.Chirac, the war is still on! We have managed to acquire some equipment!" "And what equipment would that be, Paddy?" Chirac asked. "Well, we have 2 combine harvesters, a bulldozer and Murphy's tractor from the farm."
    Once more Chirac sighed. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 16 thousand tanks, 14 thousand armored personnel carriers, and my army has increased to 600,000 since we last spoke."
    "Really?!" said Paddy "I'll have to ring you back!"

Paddy rang again the next day. "Right Mr.Chirac, the war is
    still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We've modified Ted's ultralight with a couple of rifles in the cockpit and the bridge team has joined us as well!"
    Jacques Chirac was silent for a minute, then sighed. "I must tell you Paddy that I have 10 thousand bombers, 20 thousand MiG 19 attack planes, my military complex is surrounded by laser-guidedsurface-to-air missile sites, and since we last spoke, my army has increased to 900,000."
    "Faith and begorra!", said Paddy, "I'll have to ring you back." Sure enough, Paddy called again the next day. "Right Mr.Chirac, I am sorry to tell you that we have had to call off the war."
    "I'm sorry to hear that" said Jacques Chirac. "Why the sudden change of heart?"
    "Well," said Paddy "We've all had a chat, and there's no way we can feed 900,000 prisoners."
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Sweet, the Irish Empire will initially be comprised of Slovenia, Estonia, Latvia, Moldova, Macedonia and Lithuania. Then we shall move onto aquiring more of Europe.
    Add Iceland (coastguard only), Andorra, Monaco, Malta, San Marino, Gibraltar, Jersey & Guernsey, the Holy See, Leichtenstein. We might be able to have a go at Montenegro if they don't bring any of their neighbours. Leave Luxembourg alone as they are members of NATO. Kosovo would be iffy also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Cork.

Why? Because they refuse to accept the rule of Dublin.

They should be brought to heel immediately !!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Victor wrote:
    Add Iceland (coastguard only), Andorra, Monaco, Malta, San Marino, Gibraltar, Jersey & Guernsey, the Holy See, Leichtenstein. We might be able to have a go at Montenegro if they don't bring any of their neighbours. Leave Luxembourg alone as they are members of NATO. Kosovo would be iffy also.
    Excellent, now all we need is a Giant map of the world, compasses, monacles, cigars, military uniforms and caviar.

Let the conquest begin...

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fireblade1

Steyr wrote:
    Also the second best Special Forces Unit in the world the Army Ranger Wing ( ARW ) Second only to the German GSG9 and in third place the UK SAS. Fact.

i would love to know if thats really true? where did you get your stats?
    im very impressed if it is!

i think we should have another rebellion and get rid of bertie and the rest of his FF/PD crew and SF and FG while we are at it! then join forces with scotland and wales we would be unstoppable! ' the mighty craic armies'

kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Steyr wrote:
    Ireland became a member of the United Nations in 1955. Since 1958, the Defence Forces has had a continuous presence on peacekeeping missions, mainly in the Middle East. However, in recent years, following the end of the cold war, Irish Defence Forces personnel have also found themselves in many other parts of the globe as peacekeepers. Personnel have served as observers in Central America, Russia, former Yugoslavia, Cambodia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Namibia, Western Sahara , South Africa and East Timor. This extensive Irish participation in peacekeeping is regarded in very positive terms both by the Government and the Defence Forces. Indeed, in September 1993 the Government restated the roles of the Defence Forces and defined one of them as being:

"To participate in United Nations missions in the cause of international peace"

Ireland's participation in peacekeeping operations has promoted a positive image of Ireland and it's Defence Forces both within the international community at the United Nations and among all sides in the mission areas.

Unfortunately this service has not been without cost. To date 85 members of the Defence Forces have given their lives in the cause of world peace.

You know, instead of taking four paragraphs to not answer the question, you could have just admitted that the defence forces never actually died for our freedoms. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

fireblade1 wrote:
    i would love to know if thats really true? where did you get your stats?
    im very impressed if it is!

i think we should have another rebellion and get rid of bertie and the rest of his FF/PD crew and SF and FG while we are at it! then join forces with scotland and wales we would be unstoppable! ' the mighty craic armies'

kathy

Special Forces Units from all nations that Operate Spec Ops gather together and hold tests every few years to see who is the best of the best and the last 1 was in Germany, it was reported in the Defence Forces Magazine An Cosantoir which you can buy in Easons etc.

Bambi wrote:
    You know, instead of taking four paragraphs to not answer the question, you could have just admitted that the defence forces never actually died for our freedoms. :)

I suppose the War Of Independence never entered your head did it, they died in the Uniform of the Free State which is todays Oglaigh na hEireann...No not the RA twats but the Irish Defence Forces why the hell do you think we celebrate 1916 for?

1916? Nothing to do with the Irish Army

The war of independance? The irish army wasnt involved in that. No siree, that was the IRA. And those boyos sure as s***te didnt die in the uniform of the Free state. Granted, a lot of them were killed by ex-brits in the uniform of the free state a few years later, so maybe that has ye confused :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

We should invade the Dail. Let the Irish take back the country from the politicians that refuse to run it the way we want them to.

Either that or boards.ie should setup a political party and run for election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

lol

there is a rule in life:
    no government works..........they may appear to for a while,but they WILL eventually break down

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

I was talking about this yesterday with some buds,if Ireland was in any sort of war it'd be a civil one dublin vs the rest of the land the level of hatred is unreal for the place was in the que for muse yesterday the stuff ya here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

andrew, qwertplaywert : Don't post in this thread again. Don't discuss that gig anywhere on Boards.ie either. Cop on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pigman II wrote:
    Could be the greatest acquistion of land since the Indians sold Manhattan for chump-change.
    oh boy,
    The Louisiana Purchase was the acquisition by the United States of more than 530,000,000 acres (828,000 mi² or 2,100,000 km²) of territory from France in 1803, at the cost of about 3 cents per acre (7¢ per hectare);
    The Alaska purchase from Russia by the United States occurred in 1867 at the behest of Secretary of State William Seward. The territory purchased was about 600,000 square miles (1,600,000 km²) of the modern state of Alaska.
    the purchase price set at US$ 7,200,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

The north because...... ah feck it, it's ours anyway.

Failing that D4/2/6/14... in fact ethnic cleansing for anywhere that has that stupid focking like, accent, y'knoooowww goys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

The north because...... ah feck it, it's ours anyway.

Failing that D4/2/6/14... in fact ethnic cleansing for anywhere that has that stupid focking like, accent, y'knoooowww goys?
    DRINK TALK
    Ethnic cleansing? That's a bit harsh? Then i'd like to get rid of anyone with freckles coz i dont like them i find them a turnoff...but that would never happen:D :D Only messin. take over the moon, i love cheese :D if wallace and gromit can do it anyone can.:cool:

Funny how people are getting serious in a thread where we invade the Aran Islands ..
    Irish Defence Forces personnel have also found themselves in many other parts of the globe as peacekeepers

You make it sound as if it was done by accident.

"So.. i went out drinking and next thing you know i'm in russia .. without a kidney."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 vawns

And Father Jack - would you want to mess with him? :-)

Bambi wrote:
    No siree, that was the IRA.

Yes the IRA that formed Oglaigh na hEireann not those terrorist pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Liverpool

All those redneck Scouses.

Steyr wrote:

You need a serious injection of humour..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Steyr it would probably do you some good if you read up about our history instead of just assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Steyr wrote:
    I suppose the War Of Independence never entered your head did it, they died in the Uniform of the Free State which is todays Oglaigh na hEireann...No not the RA twats but the Irish Defence Forces why the hell do you think we celebrate 1916 for?

Died for our freedom.... So noone would force me to learn a langauge I found impractical and useless, could spend currency dreated and designed in this country and vote for a government that respected my views and spent my tax punts - sorry euros - on facilities and infrastructure that would be well kept and well run...? Think they wasted their lives, tbh.

In answer to original question - how about the Vatican?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hill Billy wrote:
    I say we go for Cuba - loads of rum, great cigars, hot chicks. The Yanks will surely support our invasion - maybe even let us use their airports?
    Cuba! But get invited to party! We could throw a wake for Castro when he kicks the bucket? And girls, you should join the invasion too! They have guys on their island who really know how to tango, if you know what I mean.:p

• Advertisement

Steyr wrote:

nope. The majority of the men (and women) of the IRA back then had f*** all to do with the treaty, they most certainly did not form the free state army,
    that was comprised of ex-british army and new recruits. Whether you like it our not the irish army has very little lineage to the IRA who fought the war of independance

Maybe we should remember the people who fought for our freedoms and died at the hands of what you could even call terrorist free state pricks, if you were given to emotive langauge, eh steyr? :D

But the winners get to write the history books and so its easy to forget that our defence forces were originally just the british army in a green uniform :)

Advertisement