Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Ireland went to war...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Archeron wrote:
    Still makes us a stronger force to be reckoned with than craggy island.

no way! they've dougal!!!

yep, ireland's gonna invade somewhere with their TWO MILITARY HELICOPTERS

That's just it. They'd never expect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

We could always borrow the IRA's tank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Bambi wrote:
    here hang on chief, when did the defence forces pay with their lives for our freedom's?

Ireland became a member of the United Nations in 1955. Since 1958, the Defence Forces has had a continuous presence on peacekeeping missions, mainly in the Middle East. However, in recent years, following the end of the cold war, Irish Defence Forces personnel have also found themselves in many other parts of the globe as peacekeepers. Personnel have served as observers in Central America, Russia, former Yugoslavia, Cambodia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Namibia, Western Sahara , South Africa and East Timor. This extensive Irish participation in peacekeeping is regarded in very positive terms both by the Government and the Defence Forces. Indeed, in September 1993 the Government restated the roles of the Defence Forces and defined one of them as being:

"To participate in United Nations missions in the cause of international peace"

Ireland's participation in peacekeeping operations has promoted a positive image of Ireland and it's Defence Forces both within the international community at the United Nations and among all sides in the mission areas.

Unfortunately this service has not been without cost. To date 85 members of the Defence Forces have given their lives in the cause of world peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

The People's Republic Of Cork, it has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

fish-head wrote:
    The People's Republic Of Cork, it has to go.

Yeah what the **** is it all about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    with Irelands relatively non-existant Navy and Air Force, only a land campaign would be remotely possible, so I'd say Northern Ireland. The Brits could get overstretched in the middle east - so who knows.

:D
    Funnily enough, they had the exact same thought back in 1916, what with 60,000 British Soliders dying on the first day of the Somme, and look what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Tazz T wrote:
    Failing that... Tory Island?

:confused: We already own Tory Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Bambi wrote:
    i say we invade cork, theyre getting far too cocky down there

Yes, and be quick about it. We need a regime change down here fast.

The price of dumping our waste is skyrocketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Interesting. If we were going to start, might as well take over the poor countries.

We'd start with Poland because property is sh*t cheap. We're pretty much one with them anyway. It would be an investment. Within a year the houses would be worth about €200,000 each. Whoopee!

We'd have to keep to the smaller countries first to gain some power, take over the ickle ones, Estonia, Slovenia, Montenegro. Then before anyone knows it, we have 5 well-positioned armies at our command.

Make allies with the Spanish and the French for historical reasons and go to work on the whole of Europe. Then take over Spain and France and conquer Russia and the US before anyone cares.

Sorrrrrrrrted, innittt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

start small - isle of man..

it could become the "Falkland Islands" mark II then sell it to the Argentinans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Jaysus, Steyr, lighten up a bit. And if you want a laugh, the Army's paying me $650 just for this weekend.

I think the US idea has a bit of merit, actually. Anyone ever see the Mouse that Roared? Any country that declared war on the US has lost, and received billions of dollars in Post-War-Aid. Could reduce the taxes on a pint.

Jamaica also has merit. Why do most wars happen in hell-holes? Outside maybe of the Grenada or Panama bashes, it's been generally desert or snow. We can ally ourselves with Sweden, give them the snowy places, and it's a great excuse for some of their female troops to come on exchange. Good argument to ally with Israel too: Military babe threads are full of Israeli pics, and they can deal with the deserts.

NTM

Poland's a good choice alright. While their all over here working on our building
    sites, it should be no problem. The place is almost empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

Vietnam - just to show up the yanks. Plus in 10 - 15 years time we could make some good movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

I'd say either Scotland or Wales.

The cultures'd fuse together beautifully and with Global Warming as it is, our climates are rapidly merging and Jasus we'd have mighty craic!
    We might even be able to join forces against the English!!

Come on then ya big pussy if ya think your hard enough,

Have ya no seen braveheart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I reckon we invade Australia

I hate australians

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Steyr wrote:
    Also the second best Special Forces Unit in the world the Army Ranger Wing ( ARW ) Second only to the German GSG9 and in third place the UK SAS. Fact.
    please back up your so called facts because i dont believe you

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

Lads we need to start small and then build on it.

I think Sealand would be the ideal place to invade.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

We should set off the Aran Islands geographical missiles and then attack whatever they hit..

Lads we need to start small and then build on it.

I think Sealand would be the ideal place to invade.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand

We could invade Seaworld too.

Feckin' Shamu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Invasion is the act of war criminals. Instead we should welcome back into our nation our people in Dal Riada to protect them from invasion by others. Any time they want to vote on it, we can even supply a load of eVoting machines and I'd be pretty sure of the result ;)

All of this is just preparation to form a liasion (think anschluss) with new neighbours to the south, guys who have faced up to both the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union and maintained their independence while the austro-hungarian empire, two reiches, and all of the eastern european countries were steam rollered ,and finland forced into many concessions. Please tell the Russian people that they can sleep peacefully in their beds.

The next step is simple
    some have noted that Knox did not have any authority with regards to foreign relations, and thus may have exceeded his powers ... in concluding a peace treaty.
    so with B-u-T under new management (ours) the war will resume :eek: , the Russian people won't be able to sleep peacefully, next stop China - muh ha ha ha :)

What reason could we use for invading? No one would fall for that "weapons of mass destruction" bull a second time.

Anyway i say Japan. I'd like to get my hand on one of those ps3's as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,337 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eirmail wrote:
    It is ruled by a crazy nutter and they export gas to china.
    They are also landlocked.

Why in hell would we invade turkmenistan?
    Because Uzbekistan would be too hard. They are doubly landlocked (they only have borders with landlocked countries).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Oh for the person who suggested to sail up the Yangtze with a warship it's kinda been done already (an Irish destroyer/cruiser/warship of some kind did go to Shanghai some years ago...)

Invade the moon - and ask the Americans to pay a hefty parking fee for their landers... :D

Thirdfox wrote:
    Invade the moon - and ask the Americans to pay a hefty parking fee for their landers... biggrin.gif

Best suggestion yet. Population zero, so it should be a breeze,and if your one of the first there you'll be able to pick up some of the most prime real estate going.
    Only problem is, is that the entire thing is totally landlocked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Thirdfox wrote:
    Oh for the person who suggested to sail up the Yangtze with a warship it's kinda been done already (an Irish destroyer/cruiser/warship of some kind did go to Shanghai some years ago...)

Really!? Oh..... damn. I guess i really am brainless :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

ahem

The Air Corps' current fleet is as follows:
    1 AgustaWestland AW139
    7 Aérospatiale Alouette 316Bs,
    2 CASA CN-235s,
    5 Cessna FR.172s,
    1 Bombardier Learjet 45,
    1 Gulfstream Aerospace G-IV,
    1 Beechcraft Super King Air 200,
    8 Pilatus PC-9Ms.
    2 Eurocopter EC 135s

In addition, the Air Corps operates (on behalf of An Garda Siochana)
    1 AS 355N Twin Squirrel,
    1 Eurocopter EC 135T2,
    1 Britten-Norman BN2T-4S Defender 4000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Let's invade Kazakhstan asap. The place is pretty worthless atm but I can see the reputation of the country skyrocketing on the back of the new Borat film.

Could be the greatest acquistion of land since the Indians sold Manhattan for chump-change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Andrew: they only went on a sightseeing (reconaissance?) trip so the full scale attack hasn't been done yet.

Thrill: Landlocked or spacelocked? No atmosphere is a bit of a drag (or rather it isn't ;) )

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Let's invade Kazakhstan asap. The place is pretty worthless atm but I can see the reputation of the country skyrocketing on the back of the new Borat film.

Could be the greatest acquistion of land since the Indians sold Manhattan for chump-change.

Plus Kazakhstan is where the Russians launch things into space, I believe (though it's currently being leased to the Russians, so that might get messy). First Kazakhstan, then the moon...

Advertisement