Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am a fish / donk - can you help me??

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

Solksjaer: good point sir, but i cant help myself sometimes ;) ...tbh i've tried to keep my replies fairly friendly - only a couple of them got my back up a tad too much.

a good few boardies know who i am - but after this post i dont really want to advertize my identity too much :p - where do you play live?

Marq: let it rip man - sure that's what it's all about!!

I know it's not really applicable to cash games, but the idea of M (stack / blinds ratio) does play a large part in my game - even at cash tables - the important point is that i was heavily stacked at the time of the eg hands and i had the involved players under pressure, whilst i was in the delightful :) position of being able to confortably afford the losses (if any) in the hands

Here's an interesting hand (imo) from last Thursday that demonstraits mixing it up, playing the player, M, and live reads...
    I'll let you have a guess at the holdings - a complimentary pint for the winner!

Exact details fuzzy!!
    Sat for EPT (freezeout stage)
    Blinds 200/400 ante 50 - 9 seats

Player in early position: Stack - 17k (17m approx) - (UTG+1) rasies to 1400
    Player is seen as playing tight :eek: and passive :eek: but does mix it up the odd time ;) - he has pushed on a draw earlier, but has also pushed with the nuts (if thats of any use!)

...folded around to BB: 9k (9m approx) who make the call of the extra 1k.
    He has played aggressively, been busy and has made some loose calls preflop - eg all in call with A8s

Flop: Ah 10h 2c
    Pot: 3050

BB bets 800
    I imediately raise it to 2700
    BB thinks for short while and calls

Turn: 7d
    Pot: 7450

BB checks quick
    I think for a while, make a noticeable scan of his stack and check

River: Js

BB thinks for afew seconds and checks
    I figure he has only 5.5 ish K left - I bet 4k (leaving me with about 9k and him roughly all in)

He thinks for a while - whilst stacking up 4k in chips (lots of little ones!)
    He swoops them over the pot - but not in - looking for a read (I fuking hate that play - really pisses me off no end btw :rolleyes:
    ...anyway he thinks for a while still looking at me and makes a reluctant call.

...answers on a postcard...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

bops wrote:
    I know it's not really applicable to cash games, but the idea of M (stack / blinds ratio) does play a large part in my game - even at cash tables - the important point is that i was heavily stacked at the time of the eg hands and i had the involved players under pressure, whilst i was in the delightful :) position of being able to confortably afford the losses (if any) in the hands
    The concept of M has absolutely nothing to do with cash games. Adjusting to stack sizes in a cash game is one of the most basic concepts in cash game play.

Why don't you just buy in heavily stacked everytime you sit down?? Then you can play like this all the time and exploit this style all the time, or maybe you already do this. Surely, if you are properly bankrolled, then you should always be able to afford the losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

Ste05 wrote:
    The concept of M has absolutely nothing to do with cash games. Adjusting to stack sizes in a cash game is one of the most basic concepts in cash game play.

I do realize that the concept of M, by definition, has nothing to do with cash games - i'm just using it to explain stack size vunerability & the lack of - i don't get too caught up in textbook defs
    Ste05 wrote:
    Why don't you just buy in heavily stacked everytime you sit down?? Then you can play like this all the time and exploit this style all the time, or maybe you already do this. Surely, if you are properly bankrolled, then you should always be able to afford the losses.

buying in to a 1/2 cash game heavily stacked - 500? 1k? 2k? x2 average? x4?
    anyways I like to go to a cash game with 1200 in my pocket and buy-in/rebuy at 300 a go - just a personal preference - many reasons for doing so.

With reference to BR/Profit & Loss - I try and keep it simple - on a nightly basis - and adjust my game accordingly - This works for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

M has feck all to do with that tournament hand you posted. Both players are relatively well-stacked, so it's practically a cash game question. And where are these revolutionary live reads that you speak of? As far as I can see, you raise it up with a pile of sh**e, suck out big time, and your general image causes the BB to put all his money in when behind. Or, you raise it up with a monster, your hand develops into a bigger monster, and your general image causes the BB to put all his money in when behind. Revolutionary. La-dee-fookin-da.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

bops wrote:
    tact - could it be possible that i am a better live cash player than an online one?? - live games are very different than online games imo...dunno why i bother

NO! actually you are right!! i confessed to loosing 15k online in 3 months to boost my ego... well done you - you clown

Did I hit a nerve? I'm sorry :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

bops wrote:
    I do realize that the concept of M, by definition, has nothing to do with cash games - i'm just using it to explain stack size vunerability & the lack of - i don't get too caught up in textbook defs
    As I said above, adjusting to stack sizes is about as basic as it gets when playing in a cash game, and not only does the definition have nothing to do with cash games, the whole concept has nothing to do with cashgames.

As you know, the concept, inter alia, is about avoiding getting too short in a tournament whereby our stack becomes meaningless with regard to winning the whole thing, keeping our Fold Equity high so we can continue to make steals, etc., keep ourselves in with a shout of winning every single chip on the table.

In general, it applies to the stage of a tournament where the whole table is shallow, say 10 - 40 BB's. Not when there's one or 2 shorties sitting at a table where the average stack is +80 BB's. Which is about the nearest you'll come to it, and even then you're not picking on people with medium M's to try and rob the blinds and antes hoping to add a decent % to your stack, while avoiding very large and very small M's for robbing blinds.

E.g. if I have an M of 100 and my opponent has an M of 75, does it make any difference at all??
    bops wrote:
    buying in to a 1/2 cash game heavily stacked - 500? 1k? 2k? x2 average? x4?
    You tell me, according to your posts, when you are heavily stacked, you have an edge, so I'm just wondering why you don't do it all the time??
    bops wrote:
    anyways I like to go to a cash game with 1200 in my pocket and buy-in/rebuy at 300 a go - just a personal preference - many reasons for doing so.
    So are you giving up an edge by not buying in deep?? Or do you view money won as seperate money that you can gamble with. I'd say this is the case, and seeing as your obviously playing at a very high level, I'm sure there's no need to explain the short-comings of this mindset.

Advertisement