Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am a fish / donk - can you help me??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

5starpool wrote:
    Leave that Irishman alone, and go back to Israel. or North Korea or wherever you are from.
    your lucky my uncles dont read this forum or else you may have exited early from the next plane trip you take you bold(or is it bald Mmmmm well they both go in your case:D ) infedal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

once again many thanks for all of your imput - it has been much appreciated, i have really tried to reply to all of you to the best of my ability (crazy!!) - but its becomming an unhill struggle!!

anyways here goes:

White Night: Are you a winning online player?
    Yes overall - but recently (over the last 3 months) i have dropped 15k mainly by aggrressively playing premium hands on 5/10 10/20 and 20/40 cash tables...and getting sucked out by fish/donks!!

Online, my strenghts lie on STTs and MTTs mainly 200$ 9, 6, and HU games and the larger buy-in MTTs - I AM NOT A WINNING ONLINE CASH PLAYER!!

Over last 3 months live I have made 4.5k in small tourneys and 18k in cash games

I'll try and spot and ignore all the sarcastic posts : )

Jimbling: Thankyou for your time and attention to this!

Another way of putting this is play like a donk occasionally to lead people to believe that you are a donk.
    Correct! - exactly my view here
    Thats the worst hand in poker ffs
    Hence why I did it!! I got paid pff horribly in this hand - was not intentional to win here! - but i did the exact same move 2 orbits later with AA and got handsomely paid
    I do believe strongly in mixing up my game. I believe in playing looser and more aggressively when my confidence is up, and when I'm running well. I will play much tighter and EV orientated when I am not feeling the game.
    me too very much so
    I agree with some of your concerns about the +EV mathematical method. But to me, its just missing some parts of the formula, rather than the whole thing been useless.
    Me too - but if I started this debate with a tippytoe attitude i would have recieved 3 responses - more than 95% of my play i will be taking EV into the equation - I did study statistics as part of my degree and postgrad - i believe i just push EV a little bit further than most when i am making some key decisions - if that makes any sense?
    Another part of your post you mention mood....
    Mood is a very important and integral part of poker/any sport - thankfully i have learned to control my emotions to a high standard at the poker table - this was only over time tho and vital to success at the table

You talk about seeing the bigger picture, and again I actually do think that can be limited by the maths mentality at times. But to be honest, you seem to go waaaaay beyond the bigger picture. man... you're outside the frame...... you're looking at the whole museum and the picture is just all muddled.

So, after all that what’s my point? Basically you play the way you play. You make money from the way you play, so not much of an issue really. You should probably tone it down a bit, but that’s up to you. But why try and convince people here that you're method is correct.
    You say you were looking for a debate, but there is no poker forum in the world that you are going to find someone on your side of the argument – i.e. agreeing that raising UTG with 72o is a good play – even occasionally.
    You act surprised about the +EV gang mentality, but that’s what the poker forum is for. They teach poker here - The only way you can "teach" poker is by teaching the proper way - the Mathematical way. So obviously pretty much everybody here is going to play that way.
    There is a lot of people here that do make they're money from poker...and most others aspire to do so. Grinding out the dosh by playing correctly is the safest way to make money playing poker.
    Then you come along and try and tell people they're doing it all wrong.
    again i overplayed my general game theory to get responses...

I suppose what i was really aiming at it that there's more to poker than maths - especially live games - and that people who play a hand disregarding EV and not all donks/fish - they may just have a different view on the hand than most - that it in a nutshell - I just though this debate may open up peoples views a bit that's all m8...thanks again for your very intelligent post

Musician: 2 schools of thought here:-

The Poker Snob(s) - some of whom almost sneer at others play and can't seem to make a point or disagree without being condescending in some manner.
    The Lunatic - who likes a gamble and thinks the snobs are a joke who take the game far too seriously.

The reality is of course that there are far more schools of thought than that but the 2 above tend to think only in those terms making them effectively as bad as each other. Those who fall in between or around these types are far more relaxed and accepting about these things probably due to experience.

Spot on and well said!! thanks! thankfully i am neither of the above!! (hard to believe eh??)

By the way one mans fun is another mans boredom. Some folks may enjoy using Pokertracker, analysing their game and so on. Just a thought.
    true true - yes useful and may be fun for folks - was just pushing my argument...

Gholi: Unfortunately they dont make screen that big yet...

MrPillowTalk: All completely valid - the one point i'd make is that i do understand the importance of position - very much so - in the eg hands i found it irrivelant - it was nice to meet you also

Ianmc38 - I believe i warned you about having a go at him? didn't i ?? : )

Jimbling - true story - just a horrid succession of bad beats im afraid!!

...hector, gholi and 5star - thats just not nice or called for...

So to sum up - many thanks again for all your replies - just be nice to each other and respect each others styles of play - no matter how horrid/boring you find it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

bops wrote:

Ianmc38 - I believe i warned you about having a go at him? didn't i ?? : )

I know! I should have listened. he seems like a right arrogant cúnt. We should give him our own perosnal opinion in public some time. That'll learn him.

ps maybe i shudda just kept my big mouth shut? ; )

if anyone wants to kick my arse i'll be in the regency tomorrow night for the crapshoot - gl all

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ianmc38 wrote:
    I know! I should have listened. he seems like a right arrogant cúnt. We should give him our own perosnal opinion in public some time. That'll learn him.
    It's hard for me to look dignified at the best of times, never mind when I am readin the likes of this at work.

Comic Genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

bops wrote:
    Thats the worst hand in poker ffs
    Hence why I did it!! I got paid pff horribly in this hand - was not intentional to win here! - but i did the exact same move 2 orbits later with AA and got handsomely paid

okay... but really think about that one bops. What was the likelyhood that your 72 was actually going to get shown??? You must have done this 100 times before you hit and someone actually realised you WERE raising with 72o from utg.

ianmc38 wrote:
    who are you calling a cnut you batty boy.
    i will kick the $$^^ out of you if i ever find out who you are and then make you "%"£%$£.
    you chicky bollix you.
    i challenge you to a HU game if your man enough to show your ugly face anywhere .
    send me a pic before hand so i know what your ugly mug looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭brianmc

Is anybody else still wondering why this thread had a title of "I am a fish, can you help me?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭delanec8

jimbling wrote:
    okay... but really think about that one bops. What was the likelyhood that your 72 was actually going to get shown??? You must have done this 100 times before you hit and someone actually realised you WERE raising with 72o from utg.

Add that to the fact that in live cash games in Ireland you are getting action with your big hands(AA here) regardless of what you have done for the whole night.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm floating in a cloud of lol, despite my location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

delanec8 wrote:
    Add that to the fact that in live cash games in Ireland you are getting action with your big hands(AA here) regardless of what you have done for the whole night.

lol.... ya, I hear those games are pretty loosy goosy no matter what your image is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Gholimoli wrote:
    who are you calling a cnut you batty boy.
    i will kick the $$^^ out of you if i ever find out who you are and then make you "%"£%$£.
    you chicky bollix you.
    i challenge you to a HU game if your man enough to show your ugly face anywhere .
    send me a pic before hand so i know what your ugly mug looks like.

I was just promting this site to a mate of mine who has just started playing poker and was asking me what live games are like.
    I'd say he feels pretty comfortable about going to a game now.

azzeretti wrote:
    I was just promting this site to a mate of mine who has just started playing poker and was asking me what live games are like.
    lol,
    dont worry im not like this live,
    Ian you fecktard look what you did...

azzeretti wrote:
    take off your 'This is a disgrace' hat, and put on your 'Oh I get it, they know each other and are just messing' hat.

It'd be a much better fit here in this thread.

5starpool wrote:
    take off your 'This is a disgrace' hat, and put on your 'Oh I get it, they know each other and are just messing' hat.

It'd be a much better fit here in this thread.

I'm not sure I could have been any more sarcastic with that post.

Maybe sarcasm tags might be useful - Dev?

folks ,
    for all thoes who are confused ,i actually know Ianmc and we are only having a bit of craic cuz we are both bored.
    i was joking about not knowing him (but i wasnt joking about him being ugly cuz he is) .he is fish when it comes to poker but he is trying to learn and he has always looked up to me when it comes to poker and i have tried to guide him like a teacher would.
    he is a bit slow but hey we all have our disadvantages dont we and the important thing is that he tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

azzeretti wrote:

I think his sarcasm detector overloaded earlier on in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

azzeretti wrote:

Take a chill pill he was actually trying to help the situation by explaining to you what was going on . . . .

opr wrote:
    Take a chill pill he was actually trying to help the situation by explaining to you what was going on . . . .

I give up......

Gholimoli wrote:
    folks ,
    for all thoes who are confused ,i actually know Ianmc and we are only having a bit of craic cuz we are both bored.
    i was joking about not knowing him (but i wasnt joking about him being ugly cuz he is) .he is fish when it comes to poker but he is trying to learn and he has always looked up to me when it comes to poker and i have tried to guide him like a teacher would.
    he is a bit slow but hey we all have our disadvantages dont we and the important thing is that he tries.

It brings a tear to my eye to see the student become the teacher.

Or is that - the hunted become the hunter...

Gholimoli

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

azzeretti wrote:
    I give up......

lol Dam i thought i had those sarcasm tags turned on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this but Bops if you leave Dublin now by train and drink plenty on the way down, you will land in Ballinasloe just in time to play the pub tourney and be in a state of inebreation similar to the other two guys that call my KK with 73o and fill a straight on the river.:rolleyes:

brianmc wrote:

Gholimoli
    as you can see i have quit a few fans here on boards...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

My sarcasmometer just melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

we all learned something today. from now on im going to make sure I always see the big picture - cheers bops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

brianmc wrote:

Gholimoli

How on earth did I miss that thread first time around? LMAO

Particualarly Hector and Mikes comments, judging by Ehsans spelling Mike was probably right that he cant read words more than four letters.............

Oh no he didnt

jimbling wrote:

chances of me showing this are vvvv high!!!!

they all fold to my reraise - i show!!
    get a caller - i'll bet the pot on the flop - they fold i show!!
    if i re reraised along the way - if we are heads up i show and fold!!

probably 80% chance of me showing....

BTW it aint that easy to get paid in full on your big hands in live cash games - ye make it sound like the wild west - yeeehaw!!

Brian - excellent digging my man! - lens thread about gholimoli - LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL - that has cheered me up no end tyvm

Hector -
    we all learned something today. from now on im going to make sure I always see the big picture - cheers bops

EXACTLY!! ...SIGH LOL ; )

(gl all it was fun while it lasted)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

musician wrote:
    2 schools of thought here:-

The Poker Snob(s) - some of whom almost sneer at others play and can't seem to make a point or disagree without being condescending in some manner.
    The Lunatic - who likes a gamble and thinks the snobs are a joke who take the game far too seriously.

The reality is of course that there are far more schools of thought than that but the 2 above tend to think only in those terms making them effectively as bad as each other. Those who fall in between or around these types are far more relaxed and accepting about these things probably due to experience.

By the way one mans fun is another mans boredom. Some folks may enjoy using Pokertracker, analysing their game and so on. Just a thought.

I can't agree with that you are really stupid

Advertisement