Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why add such a noisy exhaust to your car? Its bloody annoying...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

My little farknocker gave me an extra 35bhp in my skyline thank you very much, nearly half the total power of a 1.4L focus.

Are You sure?, I put a straight through exhaust, Jim Wolfe Ecu, Apexi filters and a remap on a 300zx tt I had and it went from 320 to 370... the exhaust alone added 15.
    I have another 300zx tt with all of above plus boost jets, now it went up to 450 but Boost jets is a crude way to do it... an exhaust alone adds very little, (relatively).

Anyhow, I digress, like I said, I have one of each type of car, a loud modified, and loud stock, but the trick is I dont gun it around housing estates, or down main street. Thats the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

ninja900 wrote:

It's not "reasonable", it's "excessive". As the type-approval limits for cars and especially bikes are quite low these days an exhaust could be louder than stock but in no way excessive.
    Sorry, I dont see the word excessive wrt. silencers in sections 29 or 30 of the quoted act.
    ninja900 wrote:
    How it's used has a lot to do with it too. Big throttle openings/high revs at night near residential areas is more likely to be considered excessive than broad daylight on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere.
    Totally agree. This is also mentioned in the 63 act.

Article 82 (2) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place in such a manner as to cause any excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise by him of reasonable care.

ninja900 wrote:
    I doubt any solicitor worth his salt would allow the courts to interpret the law in such a fashion as to effectively rewrite it. IF the law was meant to mean that, then it should say that.

I could see a district court judge argue this. Another portion of the 63 act states:
    Article 34 (e) every silencer or similar contrivance which is required to be fitted under these Regulations shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not have been altered in such a way that the noise caused by the escape of the exhaust gases is made greater by the alteration;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

gyppo wrote:
    Article 82 (2) A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place in such a manner as to cause any excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise by him of reasonable care.

Article 34 (e) every silencer or similar contrivance which is required to be fitted under these Regulations shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not have been altered in such a way that the noise caused by the escape of the exhaust gases is made greater by the alteration;

If only the Gardai started to enforce the above Articles - This thread wouldn't exist. All the ****boxes, modded cars and modded scooters out there would be taken off the road. It would be one less thing to give out about:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Seanie M wrote:
    Yesterday evening, my fiancée and I were eating outside a restaurant in the centre of Tullamore, having a nice meal. Except for the amount of noisy 'boy racer' cars that kept driving by. Not that they were driving by us deliberately with their noisy hairdryer attachments to their exhausts. But at one point, as we were talking, a car went by and drowned me out completely that we had to pause our conversation for a couple of seconds before I had to repeat myself.

Its stupid to hear these noises, and some drivers appear to think there is a competition as to who has the noisiest exhaust. Do such drivers not realise that, in reality, it is NOT cool? It is noise pollution. Pollution that has been speculated to be brought into law to make such exhausts illegal. I hope so.

Even as a person that needs to sleep at night, like almost everybody else, I do hope so...

Seanie.

How else do they get people to see them in your mums Corsa? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gyppo wrote:
    Sorry, I dont see the word excessive wrt. silencers in sections 29 or 30 of the quoted act.
    You're right it says 'reasonable'. But then section 85 refers to 'excessive'

Clear as mud :rolleyes: in practice as there is no set in-use decibel limit, for a case to result in a conviction it would have to be pretty bad!
    I could see a district court judge argue this. Another portion of the 63 act states:

So no cutting / drilling / welding silencers then - although it doesn't explicitly say that you can't replace a silencer with another one...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement