Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why add such a noisy exhaust to your car? Its bloody annoying...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

cpoh1 wrote:
    At the end of the day people in this country will ALWAYS find something to complain about, anyone who has a genuine grievance about what other cars sound like needs to put there priorities in order. There are more impotant things in life to worry about than some young fella with a loud exhaust.

What sort of a stupid statement is that? because you live in the country you have nothing better to do than complain about cars? Grow up will you. You think because you live in a city that you have so much to do that you dont have time to complain?

Well I am from Cavan but have spent alot of my life living in Dublin and I think you will find it is Dublin people who have more time to waste, moist people in the country work longer hours than Dublin people and kids in Dublin stand around on the St half the day while kids in the country actually work.

So in fact your statement is completely wrong and it should be Dublin people and not country pople who ALWAYS find something to complain about. But I dont care either way. Its childish statement like yours that really shouldnt be replied to but I love replying to stupid sweeping statements with facts and not idle gossip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Do you know what really bugs me. it's the ambulances. gardai and fire bridgade driving with their sirens on. Its bloody annoying..
    Loud/annoying but necessary.
    If you ever you are unlucky to find yourself in the back of am ambulance with a serious injury and the noise annoys you, you can always ask the driver to switch the siren off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Judging by the amount of people getting their knickers in a twist over something as silly as other loud cars on the road its pretty obvious that people dont have anything better to do than complain about something as trivial as this. There are people dying on the roads every week due to a combination of stupid, careless and reckless driving, why are people so worried about a car with a loud exhaust, nobodies dying over it at the end of the day.

From a personal point of view I get up every day and live my life as positively as possible, getting pissed off about stuff as trivial as an exhaust is plain stupid. There will always be little things out there that people arent happy with and its a case of dealing with these issues in the most positive manner possible. Take a deep breath, think of something nice you'll do later on with the wife or kids or whatever and move on from it. These kids arent going to go away and nothing is going to change so just deal with it.

cpoh1 wrote:
    Judging by the amount of people getting their knickers in a twist over something as silly as other loud cars on the road its pretty obvious that people dont have anything better to do than complain about something as trivial as this. There are people dying on the roads every week due to a combination of stupid, careless and reckless driving, why are people so worried about a car with a loud exhaust, nobodies dying over it at the end of the day.

From a personal point of view I get up every day and live my life as positively as possible, getting pissed off about stuff as trivial as an exhaust is plain stupid. There will always be little things out there that people arent happy with and its a case of dealing with these issues in the most positive manner possible. Take a deep breath, think of something nice you'll do later on with the wife or kids or whatever and move on from it. These kids arent going to go away and nothing is going to change so just deal with it.

Ok is there 2 or 3 personalities using your account? first you quote the law, then there is a sweeping stupid statement to try and insult everyone outside a city limits area and then you come over and sweet and nice and smoking the wacky??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Moist people in the country oooo aahhhh :eek:

Making a lot of noise via your cars no different from having your music too loud. Either you are disturbing your neighbours or you aren't. Its about respect. If you don't have respect for other people expect to be treated like a muppet.

What kinda fool logic equates saving lives with a siren the same as tarting up your car?:rolleyes:

Most cars modified or not don't generate a lot of noise unless driven at speed, which is very likely over the limit in a residential area. Just report the muppet for speeding and its likely the cops will easily catch them if they are a habitual speeder. They usually are.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok is there 2 or 3 personalities using your account? first you quote the law, then there is a sweeping stupid statement to try and insult everyone outside a city limits area and then you come over and sweet and nice and smoking the wacky??????

I think its you who should lay off the gear dude, I gave the lettering of the law so that people have the information required as regards aftermarket exhausts. I never mentioned people living in the countryside???? And I maintain the same stance throughout this thread, people in this country are always complaining about trivial crap like this, people need to get a bit of perspective.

Okay, you are pretty new here so I'll have some level of patience.
    I have VERY STRONG views on road safety and have been involved in numerous threads here about various safety aspects.
    I aint pissed of about "an exhaust". Its not the exhaust that decides to add itself to a little fartknocker of a car in order to make the sound of the car louder, then drive around late at night when the majority of the population are in bed.
    If your kids get woken by one of these people with their loud cars and in turn wake you up from your slumber you'd eventually be fairly pissed about the whole thing also, especially since they are not a NECISSITY on a car, but they are an addition that obviously annoy a lot of people.
    I am glad you have such a rosy outlook on life, I too am a "live and let live" kind of person, however I can see no reason why the people put these noisy exhausts on their cars only to make shout out "Hey look at me, I have a car"
    Why cant they have the same attitude, "Ah feck it, why would I want a loud exhaust on the car?"
    These "kids" as you call them, may not go away but the correct laws being enforced their annoying noise will.
    Kippy

cpoh1 wrote:
    I think its you who should lay off the gear dude, I gave the lettering of the law so that people have the information required as regards aftermarket exhausts. I never mentioned people living in the countryside???? And I maintain the same stance throughout this thread, people in this country are always complaining about trivial crap like this, people need to get a bit of perspective.

Ok you never mentioned people in the country and then you go on to say people in the countryside???

Please read your own post:
    At the end of the day people in this country will ALWAYS find something to complain about, anyone who has a genuine grievance about what other cars sound like needs to put there priorities in order. There are more impotant things in life to worry about than some young fella with a loud exhaust.

If you cant even read your own post or what you typed 2 secs beforehand then I guess we know the intelligence levels we are dealing with here.

Can you show me any stats/facts that say people in the country have nothing to do but complain? or is it just your stupid bigoted atitude towards people that live outside a city that makes you come out with stupid statements like this? last time I heard something along the lines of this was when I was 5 and another 4 year old said he couldnt play with me because I was from the country. At least you can forgive a child because they dont know any better. If you believe this statement to be true please stay in the city because I am sure I don't want to see you near the countryside and nobody else will either!!!

kippy wrote:
    Okay, you are pretty new here so I'll have some level of patience.

So because im registered on here less time than you my opinion counts for less is it?
    kippy wrote:
    I have VERY STRONG views on road safety and have been involved in numerous threads here about various safety aspects.

What the hell does road safety have to do with having an aftermarket exhaust on your car???
    kippy wrote:
    I aint pissed of about "an exhaust". Its not the exhaust that decides to add itself to a little fartknocker of a car in order to make the sound of the car louder, then drive around late at night when the majority of the population are in bed.

Very very narrowminded outlook. Not all cars that have loud aftermarket exhausts are little fartknockers. The object of an aftermarket exhaust is not always to make the car louder (except in a small minority of cars that are drivien by 18-19 year olds), it is to gain performance. Do a search for any decent tuning house in japan the states or europe (ruf, amg, spoon, brabus, trd etc.) and one of the first modifiactions done on a car is an aftermarket exhaust to free up air flow and gain hp.
    kippy wrote:
    If your kids get woken by one of these people with their loud cars and in turn wake you up from your slumber you'd eventually be fairly pissed about the whole thing also, especially since they are not a NECISSITY on a car, but they are an addition that obviously annoy a lot of people.

If your kids are getting woken up i genuinely symapthise but in fairness things like this dont happen every night of the week. I find if im to be woken by a noisy car its more than likely a diesel van/truck or taxi thats making the noise.

Im not getting into this anymore, its pretty obvious people on here have a very narrowminded outlook judging by the derogatory comments being thrown about so far. My two cents, not all cars with modified exhaust are either (a) loud and (b) there for looks or (c) on ****ty "fartknockers". Only a small percentage of people in this country put loud exhaust on small cars, if a fella in your housing estate has a loud exhaust and drives around late at night creating noise, why not have a quiet and polite word with the guy explaining your predicament?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Errm, Big Nelly, I think it's you who can't read ... he said ...

No mention of the country or countryside anywhere that I can see.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok you never mentioned people in the country and then you go on to say people in the countryside???

Please read your own post:

If you cant even read your own post or what you typed 2 secs beforehand then I guess we know the intelligence levels we are dealing with here.

Can you show me any stats/facts that say people in the country have nothing to do but complain? or is it just your stupid bigoted atitude towards people that live outside a city that makes you come out with stupid statements like this? last time I heard something along the lines of this was when I was 5 and another 4 year old said he couldnt play with me because I was from the country. At least you can forgive a child because they dont know any better. If you believe this statement to be true please stay in the city because I am sure I don't want to see you near the countryside and nobody else will either!!!

You are making a complete ass out of yourself. Maybe you might want to delete that last response, you're accusing me of some serious things there and all because YOU are the one who needs to read things properly before you post...moderators?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

kippy wrote:
    Loud/annoying but necessary.
    If you ever you are unlucky to find yourself in the back of am ambulance with a serious injury and the noise annoys you, you can always ask the driver to switch the siren off.

Sorry kippy, please role you mouse over the smiley at the end of the original post. you'll see it is the sarcaism smiley.:D

cpoh1 wrote:
    So because im registered on here less time than you my opinion counts for less is it?

No but making stupid sweeping comments insulting people who live in the country is a sure fire way to get everyone here to have an instant dislike for you. You have achieved that with me already.

cpoh1 wrote:
    What the hell does road safety have to do with having an aftermarket exhaust on your car???

Its usually the driver of the car thats the problem. You have shown already you are pretty immature so I guess you are prob immature on the roads as well.

cpoh1 wrote:
    Very very narrowminded outlook.

Read what you typed above and then you will see someone who is narrowminded

cpoh1 wrote:
    If your kids are getting woken up i genuinely symapthise but in fairness things like this dont happen every night of the week. I find if im to be woken by a noisy car its more than likely a diesel van/truck or taxi thats making the noise.

How the hell can a diesel van or truck wake you up? the van would want to have an engine the size of a plane to wake you up and what would a truck be driving up an estate for in the middle of the night?
    cpoh1 wrote:
    Im not getting into this anymore, its pretty obvious people on here have a very narrowminded outlook judging by the derogatory comments being thrown about so far.

Again can you not read what you type? read above and the only derogatory comments have come from you. If you cant read what you say then go back to school or maybe you still are in school and could explain why you are so immature
    cpoh1 wrote:
    My two cents, not all cars with modified exhaust are either (a) loud and (b) there for looks or (c) on ****ty "fartknockers". Only a small percentage of people in this country put loud exhaust on small cars, if a fella in your housing estate has a loud exhaust and drives around late at night creating noise, why not have a quiet and polite word with the guy explaing your predicament?

Actually couldnt be bothered.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Kippy, you make some very valid points. There is no place for a loud exhaust late at night in a housing estate racing about. Neither is there a place for people tearing up the main streets in towns late at night.

But you make some strange points. Loud exhausts on 'fartknockers'? As a previous poster stated, to gain more performance from an engine, you need to let it breathe. An induction kit and a freer flowing exhaust are some of the first modifications you make, before ECUs, high lift cams, ported & flowed heads, uprated pistons, etc. And just because someone doesn't have the budget to turn an Astra into a huge all singing all dancing modified car straight out of hollywood, doesn't mean they don't have the right to either.

I play with bikes, not cars, but as I'm a petrol head, I love the sound any engine makes. V8, straight 6, v-twin, it doesn't matter. Once I hear the hum of an engine, driven by an enthusiast - in the right conditions, I smile.

As you've some pretty serious ideas on road safety I can only assume you've done some advanced courses (Not the useless Hibernian ignition course), and have a deep appreciation of what lies under the hood.

Did I say that? What I mean is you have no idea how "narrowminded" I am, nor have you any idea on my outlook on life-some of the people who have been in this forum may have more of an idea.
    Absolutely nothing, however in an earlier post you mentioned that there were people dying on the roads and that this is more important than exhausts. I was mearly pointing out that I am aware of this fact.
    Very very narrowminded outlook. Not all cars that have loud aftermarket exhausts are little fartknockers. The object of an aftermarket exhaust is not always to make the car louder (except in a small minority of cars that are drivien by 18-19 year olds), it is to gain performance. Do a search for any decent tuning house in japan the states or europe (ruf, amg, spoon, brabus, trd etc.) and one of the first modifiactions done on a car is an aftermarket exhaust to free up air flow and gain hp.
    Not narrowminded at all-based entirely on my few years of driving and seeing and hearing cars which are very loud. Granted, me calling them fartknockers is a bit extreme but nonetheless I dont see why ANYONE would want to FREE UP AIRFLOW AND GAIN HP unless they intended to break some of the speeding laws we have in this country. If their intention is not to do this then I dont see the practical reasoning for adding an "Aftermarket" exhaust to any car unless it is to make the car louder. I dont give a flying fig about tuning houses in Japan. I give a damn about noise pollution and more specificilly my nights sleep.
    Why should I have a word with him? Should he not have a word with me asking if I would mind him having a loud exhaust on his car? You speak of people having patience and getting on with things, leting other people get on with it etc, yet you fail to see things from the other point of view.
    I do intend to talk to this guy and I would like to have the time to the numerous people out there who probably cause other people the same amount of grievances with their intentionally loud cars.
    If you believe me to be narrowminded, then fair enough, that is your opinion.

Nelly, I think you may have picked up the "City/Country" thing wrong.
    Kippy

Someone take big nellys shovel from him, he wont stop digging that hole of his, its the size of a bloody crater at this stage :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I think he meant this country as in Ireland not "da country"

Ok some people add exhaust systems to improve performance not just attract attention. Being loud is a byproduct of this.

It is not necessary or legal but its not just attention whoring.

I agree there is a huge difference between driving a loud vehicle and modding your vehicle making it sound loud but they both achieve the same goal. Disturbing people.

It is not necessary to drive a motorbike with big engine and roaring exhaust, it is not necessary to drive a Lambo, Ferrari etc either

I live in an estate with both modded cars and a bike fanatic. The headboard of my bed is right underneath one of the front windows of the house and i never get woken up by them.

In fact the neighbours dog is far more annoying

I would advise trying to drive a car with a loud exhaust to see what its like (I drive a standard 97 corolla with hub caps in case you're wondering). I'd be more worried about the style of driving than the noise as at low revs as all the cars i've driven with exhaust systems are no louder than a big turbo diesel engine when driven normally.
    dont see why ANYONE would want to FREE UP AIRFLOW AND GAIN HP unless they intended to break some of the speeding laws we have in this country. If their intention is not to do this then I dont see the practical reasoning for adding an "Aftermarket" exhaust to any car unless it is to make the car louder.

So you cant see why anyone would want a car with more HP, why on earth does anyone buy a 330 over a 318 or 316 then if not purely for the bigger engine and HP gains. A person who buys the 330 is more likely to speed than the 316/318 driver according to your logic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

After reading this thread, I must admit to siding with cpoh1 for the most part. Everyone relax and take a chill pill.

I have a car with a slightly louder exhaust than manufacturer spec (but my car is not a fartknocker :D) and, to be brutally honest, I couldn't care less by precisely how much more décibels. Within reason, of course - I have an infant too and can fully commiserate with the noise-@-night problem.

Fact is, I went for a full stainless steel line because the manufacturer's own original parts (Subaru) are renowned for poor longevity. I didn't go out to get the loudest, biggest-bore, best-BHP-increase I could, but just the best price ('bout 15% more) and longevity (lifetime warranty), relative to OEM equipment + fitting.

But then again, @ OP and on the occasion of your al freso outing, you probably would have tarred me with the same brush all the same - not that I'd have cared ;)

my €0,02... just for a bit of perspective :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I agree with Vegeta, its the way they are driven.
    My neighbours never complain, and my cars are quite loud when the throttles are open.... which they dont be in housing estates, so in essence we are back at the boy-racer debate.
    That they are (quite a lot of them) inconsiderate.
    I live in Boroimhe in Swords, and a white 3 dr Civic insists on accelarating v.fast in 1st gear everywhere, esp the main road, then hitting the brakes for the traffic queue, then leaving a gap and repeating it... senseless idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Its not the car nor the exhaust size/sound the op should take issue with its just a hand full of people who have no consideration for other people, we have them in all aspects of life they are not just with us so called "boy racers"

I have a loud engine-exhaust on my car but like many of my fellow "Boy Racer?" type people (what ever that really means) we drive with consideration at the appropriate times ie late at night.

But during the day, the op and his girlfriend will just have to accept the sound of my sweet engine. Sorry :p

As for the thread question: Why add a noisy exhaust to your car........ A lot of the time it improves air flow through the car, other times its because people like the sound of them. If the op doesnt like them the best thing for him to do would be to never fit one to his car.

Honestly I know boards are great for getting things off your chest, but I doubt he's gonna post about the drunks who p iss on his wall or the neighbours who play loud music. Lots of people are inconsiderate.

Its just too easy to pick on all boy racer? types. Somebody mentioned just getting on with it, each to their own, I agree. Op infuture just let it go I know it bothers you but really So What thats life.

Cant we all just get along :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Kersh wrote:
    I agree with Vegeta, its the way they are driven....they are (quite a lot of them) inconsiderate....

Thats the sum of it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Wow, I didn't think my original post would instigate so many replies in such a short space of time! I'll give a few replies of my own...
    mloc123 wrote:
    Oh god, were you never young and foolish?
    And:
    But when you were young what did you do that pissed people off?
    No. I'm not perfect, but I was never too foolish either. I didn't go out of my way to piss people off, and even today, STILL young (at 28), I like to think I am considerate towards others. Perhaps this pisses other people off?!?!?!?
    Vegeta wrote:
    would you have been so annoyed if it was a tractor.
    For the most part, a tractor is acceptable, because it is a standard vehicle of its kind. You WILL NOT get that kind of noise from a tractor after sunset anyway! Sheesh!
    Kersh wrote:
    But whats the difference between a Ferrari F40, which is loud, and a 1.4 civic with a loud exhaust driving through a residential area.
    Such a car (Ferrari) will not be driven by a knobhead at 2 in the morning racing around town/city streets (yes, for the most part) as it is (1) rare, and (2) will be driven with someone who can couple common sense with ego... not just ego on its own, primarily because to own one is to have lots of money, which comes with age.
    kikel wrote:
    Do you feel the same way when the ice cream van passes with music blaring?
    If this is directed at me, you need a kick in the nuts, swift and hard!
    ambro25 wrote:
    I have a car with a slightly louder exhaust than manufacturer spec (but my car is not a fartknocker ) and, to be brutally honest, I couldn't care less by precisely how much more décibels.
    You see, thats part of the problem - attitude. The wrong kind.
    layke wrote:
    Hi Sean,
    Can you please explain 'boy racers' with 'hair dryer exhausts' a little more i'm curious do you mean all car modders or those who own micras with stick on exhausts.
    What I call a 'boy racer' is a young male who insists that 'modding' their car, whatever it may be, will bring it up to some notch on the 'world rally car' meter. Said boy racers speed in the usual slouched-at-an-angle, man-handling the sterring wheel with one hand (usually the right one), almost unable to be seen above the dash, "I think I look cool" pose, lapping up the attention they think is positive. Coupled with blaring engine/exhaust noise that is beyond natural of their car model, and use of bright foglamps to give everyone one looking at them greenspots for 30 seconds after glaring them, It gives them the unwated 'boy racer' tag. Music is optional, but we all have our tastes - but blaring thump-thump-thump as loud as you can with the windows down?

Whilst I remain from criticising anyone's vehicle or persona openly, your example Civic, layke, would not really come under 'boy racer'... but my judgement would be reserved until I saw you pass by and I would stereotype you into its relevant category after seeing how you drive it - good, trustworthy and confident driver, or a boy racer, and all the stigmatisms that come with it.

By the way, my Xsara Coupé sports is just that, and doesn't need any mods to make it louder... why should I bother? Its fine the way it is, so why piss people off otherwise?

Seanie.

So you cant see why anyone would want a car with more HP, why on earth does anyone buy a 330 over a 318 or 316 then if not purely for the bigger engine and HP gains. A person who buys the 330 is more likely to speed than the 316/318 driver according to your logic
    I have no argument with you. Of course a person is not more likely to break the speeding laws if they drive a 330. However, back to the original topic-if that person in his small car wants to drive a 330 out of the box so to speak, they will not have added a device which increases the noise of the car to such an extent that it pisses other people off and as already been pointed out, is illegal-this is my main issue.
    I couldnt care less really about the HP of the car-it is the associated noise associated with this that I have the problem with.
    I have to agree with a lot of what others have said as well about the driver attitude having a lot to do with when and where the car is noisiest, and in fairness there are those out there who do respect the noise levels and time of day even with their "noisy" car.
    Kippy

Seanie you are making the very dangerous assessment of a persons character based on what they drive. You are old enough to realise that what a person drives does not indicate the type of person they are behind the wheel. There are plenty of people in expesive exotic cars in this country who shouldnt be allowed drive a lawnmower let alone a car. Like wise there are young people on the roads who should still be in school learning their abc's such is their level of intelligence and common sense on the road.

I really am dissappointed in some people's attitudes on here towards this topic. People who are old enough and big enough to know better are portraying a very narrowminded outlook in this thread. The fact of the matter is that half these little cars going around are less noisy than your typical ford transit diesel. 95% of these young fellas with these cars are well behaved young people on the roads, a small amount of them are inconsiderate in their behaviour on the road (that includes driving aggressively and noisily late at night) which is unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

kippy wrote:
    I have to agree with a lot of what others have said as well about the driver attitude having a lot to do with when and where the car is noisiest, and in fairness there are those out there who do respect the noise levels and time of day even with their "noisy" car.
    Kippy

I agree totally here this is a much better point of view, it as all about attitude and consideration (or lack of) not the equipment.

If someone drives like a ass hole, i really don't think it matters what they drive they will be a hazard in any community

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

kippy wrote:
    and as already been pointed out, is illegal-this is my main issue.

Kippy

Hi Kippy
    Just a question when my car arrived into the country it had/still has a ziggen5 straight throught s/steel exhaust. I'm guessing its not the original type....Is this illegal? The insurance company never asked and to be honest I really couldnt say for sure its not original spec. So i'm guessing the cars exhaust has been modified but not by me, yet not being an exhaust expert I cant say for sure. Sorry to go off topic but can anyone answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

ned78 wrote:
    But you make some strange points. Loud exhausts on 'fartknockers'?

As a car lover I think "fartknockers" is a fine word for those exhausts.

Not only are they loud, but they sound rotten! And who cares if you get 5hp more on a 1.1 car!

On the other hand I would have no problem about being woken in the middle of the night by the sweet thrum of a V8. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I have to say, I agree with the OP on this one.

Sh1t box cars with elephant gun exhausts are a menace to society. Referring to his Al Fresco Dining experience, I've had plenty of similar experience's. There seems to be an oversupply of Boy Racers and their modded sh1tboxes where I live. Bored kids cruising up and down the village repeatedly pissing off the masses.

If when attached to the arse of a micra/civic/Glanza they break the legal noise pollution levels they shouldn't be allowed to be sold.

Cpoh1,
    I have gone out of my way not to be sterotypical in this thread as I know a lot of people with modified cars. These people are no different to anyone else.
    It is the few who CHOSE to make life that bit more awful for others that I have the problem with. Again, as I mentioned up above, even with these noisy cars, I do not have too much of a problem with them being noisy during the day time and I have absoultely no problem with the ones that are quieter than a transit van.
    I think the narrowmindedness in this thread is coming from the people who cannot see that fitting a car with a modified exhaust for the purpose of making extra noise, and driving that said car around a populated area at night is going to annoy some/alot of people.

Now, this being a motoring forum, I didnt expect to get much support in the call for people to have a bit more respect for others when the modify their car-or at least when they modify it to make it louder, that they keep it out of built up areas after dark.
    NOTE-I HAVE NOT STEROTYPED ANYONE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,274 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How can people quote chapter and verse on the law yet claim it says something it clearly doesn't.

There is no law against aftermarket exhausts (provided you pass NCT)

There is no noise limit, however noise must not be 'excessive'. This is entirely subjective according to the opinion of the Garda concerned.

Like window tints, this was part of Ivor Callely's would-be PR stunt which backfired (heh) on him because it wasn't thought through at all. No law was passed.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement