Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why add such a noisy exhaust to your car? Its bloody annoying...

Options
  • 20-09-2006 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Yesterday evening, my fiancée and I were eating outside a restaurant in the centre of Tullamore, having a nice meal. Except for the amount of noisy 'boy racer' cars that kept driving by. Not that they were driving by us deliberately with their noisy hairdryer attachments to their exhausts. But at one point, as we were talking, a car went by and drowned me out completely that we had to pause our conversation for a couple of seconds before I had to repeat myself.

Its stupid to hear these noises, and some drivers appear to think there is a competition as to who has the noisiest exhaust. Do such drivers not realise that, in reality, it is NOT cool? It is noise pollution. Pollution that has been speculated to be brought into law to make such exhausts illegal. I hope so.

Even as a person that needs to sleep at night, like almost everybody else, I do hope so...

Seanie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oh god, were you never young and foolish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Hi Seanie,

I'm often in Tullamore, and there seems to be a very large amount of 'boy Racers' there compared to other midland towns. I've also noticed a certain dealership (as you go over the canal bridge towards clara) always has 2/3 boy racer cast-off's in stock.
    Is there something in the water over there?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

To be fair i hardly think they were going by you on purpose...Those people are young and think its cool.... Fortunely for most of us its not... But when you were young what did you do that pissed people off?I live over in Swansea and i agree its F**king annoying..While its not a huge factor during the day, but when they do it 2-3-4 o clock in the morning..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

would you have been so annoyed if it was a tractor.

Just as loud at times

some people do upgrade the exhaust systems on their car as it offers performance boosts (these may not be road legal) but that is another reason they put them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

But whats the difference between a Ferrari F40, which is loud, and a 1.4 civic with a loud exhaust driving through a residential area. Surely the ferrari is quite legal as its 'stock', whereas the civic is illegal cos its modded.
    Would the police stop a 360 stradale for noise issues?
    I dont really know where I stand on this issue btw, as I have a 1 modded loud car, and 1 standard loud car.
    Personally it doesnt bother me if a loud car drives by, provided they dont go by every 5 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hi Sean,

Juniour minister Ivor Callely tried to pull a PR stunt by getting the exhausts banned but was removed before anything actually happening. EU has a regultion on exhaust noise which some cars break some do not.

Can you please explain 'boy racers' with 'hair dryer exhausts' a little more i'm curious do you mean all car modders or those who own micras with stick on exhausts. I drive a Honda Civic with a straight through exhaust, induction kit and shortened manifold and it's loudish when the revs get up but not defening.

Some sound good some don't. It's lucky you didn't live in the 70's/80's when motorbikes were everywhere, you would be deaf

On your point, personally it doesn't bother me one bit however I agree that some do sound too loud but thats a minority. Then again I am from noisey Dublin.

Kersh wrote:
    But whats the difference between a Ferrari F40, which is loud, and a 1.4 civic with a loud exhaust driving through a residential area. Surely the ferrari is quite legal as its 'stock', whereas the civic is illegal cos its modded.
    Would the police stop a 360 stradale for noise issues?
    I dont really know where I stand on this issue btw, as I have a 1 modded loud car, and 1 standard loud car.
    Personally it doesnt bother me if a loud car drives by, provided they dont go by every 5 minutes

Because the old kodgers we have in the government seem to think it's ok to discriminate further with young people, those who ill be voting them out next election date.

There is nothing illegal about owning a different exhaust on your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,466 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hmm.
    There is a guy in our estate who has a small Honda Civic-fairly old but with one of these loud exhausts on it. He tends to use the car between 12 and 2 am mostly and its really really annoying. I dont really mind it earlier than that but most people are trying to get to sleep at those times. He is no boy racer and is proud of the car-but I dont think he has the intelligence to realise that the noise is annoying. I thought there were laws in place regarding noise emmissions from cars? Maybe not.
    And as for the stupid tractor argument above....come on....not the same thing at all. A tractors noise is a necissity and the vehicle is needed by someone to make a living. In general you wont hear many tractors late at night either. Most of these cars are intentionally made louder by their owners to say "Hey look I have a shiny car with alloys and bodykit".
    I dont mind the look of the car but I do have a major problem with hearing the fecking thing.
    Kippy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Give the poor guys a break. Everyone onto their own. Learn to tolerate others.

Do you feel the same way when the ice cream van passes with music blaring?

layke wrote:
    There is nothing illegal about owning a different exhaust on your car.

Are you sure on this point?

• Advertisement

Tolerate others?
    These guys go out to intentionally make their car louder, and in doing so will annoy people. I am generally very tolerant but as I said when they drive these car late at night they are showing they have very little respect for other people-why should I tolerate them when what they have done to their car is not a necissity but an ego trip. As I said, I have no problem with the visual impact.
    Ice Cream vans-completely different. I dont see too many ice cream vans going round after dark.
    Kippy

kippy wrote:
    And as for the stupid tractor argument above....come on....not the same thing at all.

replace tractor with motorbike, high powered car with stock exhaust or any loud vehicle.

The arguement still stands

kippy wrote:
    Tolerate others?
    These guys go out to intentionally make their car louder, and in doing so will annoy people. I am generally very tolerant but as I said when they drive these car late at night they are showing they have very little respect for other people-why should I tolerate them when what they have done to their car is not a necissity but an ego trip. As I said, I have no problem with the visual impact.
    Ice Cream vans-completely different. I dont see too many ice cream vans going round after dark.
    Kippy

again what if the car is a loud car out of the box. Are they allowed to make noise and a car with after market exhaust isn't???

Vegeta wrote:
    replace tractor with motorbike, high powered car with stock exhaust or any loud vehicle.

I Think Kippy's point was there is no necessity for non-stock exhaust systems (loud!) on standard cars.

A vehicle that has been INTENTIONALLY modified to make the engine sound louder is what my main gripe is. Mainly because there are so many of them.
    There arent that many highpowered cars around. Most of these loud cars are little farts of things that the owners modify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

kippy wrote:
    Most of these loud cars are little farts of things that the owners modify.

I think you'll find that these days most of them will be peformance Jap imports and the reason for the exhausts is to allow for greater flow.

gyppo wrote:

He is right there is nothing wrong with changing the exhaust.

However some types of exhausts will cause the car to fail the NCT. Or be illegal for road use.

ie removing the catalytic converter while improving the performance of the car will cause it to fail the NCT on emissions.

Also if a gaurd deems the exhaust too loud, and this is just in their own judgement, you could have a court appearence.

gyppo wrote:

The gov did a while back bring in a law that it can't be over a certain amount of DB but how exactly is a cop going to measure that? He can't just look at it and say "That's illegal" without measuring the sound.. which most cops cannot do.

Yes we all heard the polititions who no nothing saying "Bla Bla bla twin exhausts will be illegal bla bla bla", what should have been said was 'Twin exhausts are illegal, IF over the max amount of DB'.

Having said that i'm checking about to see if I can get a clear cut copy of the law for everyone to see. Haven't heard of anyone getting done for it nor their car being taken off them, cop said it to me once, nowt she could do tho.

Quite honestly I have never seen it in black and white, it's just from what I remember back when all this jazz was the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Kersh wrote:

How often do you see a Ferrari, or any other "noisy" sports car, driving down the road? While you see millions of those little fecking boy racers everyday.

The GTI golf I think would be considered a fairly high powered car and it's got a nice sounding engine but it's not overly noisy. So why do the boy racers have to get the noisiest piece of crap they can?

You might go on about being tolerant of others, but the "others" should be considerate for everyone else at the same time.

ronoc wrote:
    He is right there is nothing wrong with changing the exhaust.

However some types of exhausts will cause the car to fail the NCT. Or be illegal for road use.

ie removing the catalytic converter while improving the performance of the car will cause it to fail the NCT on emissions.

Also if a gaurd deems the exhaust too loud, and this is just in their own judgement, you could have a court appearence.

Thanks Ronoc,

You put this very clear. Removing the Catalytic converter for performance purposes must surely make the car illegal for road use - would it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Go to www.oasis.gov.ie for the laws regarding it!!

Unless the garda has a db tester there then he can't tell you that its too loud!! I had a garda one day tell me that my exhaust was too loud cos he had no other excuse to stop me.... wait for the good part.... I was driving a toyota corolla 1.4 with the standard exhaust and no modifications at all!!! Just goes to show the gard wanted that to go his own way until I laughed at him and told him it was an unmodified standard exhaust!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

How often do you see a Ferrari, or any other "noisy" sports car, driving down the road? While you see millions of those little fecking boy racers everyday.

Im just asking the question - what is the difference between a stock loud car, and a non stock loud car, in real terms at night in an estate.

There a quite a few loud standard cars that I se around, astons, Ferraris, Lambos etc.

I can understand where the OP is coming from though, exotic car owners dont feel the need to drive around town centres ad nauseum, whereas boy racer types seem to like that..:rolleyes:
    Removing the Catalytic converter for performance purposes must surely make the car illegal for road use - would it?

Doing this causes a car to fail the nct on emmisions, non display of nct is illegal. Though there is nothing to stop an owner fitting a cat for the test , then removing it, except it nullifys his insurance policy as its a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kikel wrote:
    Do you feel the same way when the ice cream van passes with music blaring?
    Ah, but they only play the music when they have no ice cream left.

That's what my Mammy told me, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If the 'noisy exhaust' is on a collection of rusty panels dwarfed by a huge spoiler worth about 3 grand, then no, I wouldn't agree with it. If someone rolls by in a 66 Mustang v8 with open pipes, he'll have me drooling.

Loud pipes annoying? My Ducati and I would like to disagree :D

Kersh wrote:

Doing this causes a car to fail the nct on emmisions, non display of nct is illegal. Though there is nothing to stop an owner fitting a cat for the test , then removing it, except it nullifys his insurance policy as its a mod.

Done a bit of surfing since my last post, and came up with this gem.

S.I. No. 190 of 1963.
    ROAD TRAFFIC (CONSTRUCTION, EQUIPMENT AND USE OF VEHICLES) REGULATIONS, 1963.

ARTICLE 30

(1) Every vehicle shall be so constructed as to prevent, to such extent as is reasonably possible, the emission of smoke, visible vapour, noxious gases or offensive odours.

I would imagine a well read guard could invoke this piece of legislation on an exhaust system where the catalytic converter has been removed.
    After all, the vehicle has now been decontructed and can no longer prevent the emission of noxious gases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Ok lads the law on this is pretty clear, any exhaust fitted that exceeds the loudness of the standard manufacturers exhaust is deemed illegal. Forget all the rubbish you read about dB meters etc. this law simply doesn't exist.

http://193.178.1.79/ZZSI190Y1963.html

1. These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations, 1963.
    29. (1)
    Every vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine shall, subject to the provisions of sub-article (2) of this article, be fitted with an exhaust silencer or other device suitable and sufficient for reducing to a reasonable level the noise caused by the escape of exhaust gases from the engine.
    (2) Sub-article (1) of this article shall not apply to a vehicle taking part in a trial, competition or race carried out on a road closed under section 35 of the Local Government Act, 1955 (No. 9 of 1955), subject to any conditions the local authority concerned may impose in connection with such closing.
    34 (e)
    every silencer or similar contrivance which is required to be fitted under these Regulations shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and <B>shall not have been altered in such a way that the noise caused by the escape of the exhaust gases is made greater by the alteration

At the end of the day people in this country will ALWAYS find something to complain about, anyone who has a genuine grievance about what other cars sound like needs to put there priorities in order. There are more impotant things in life to worry about than some young fella with a loud exhaust.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Do you know what really bugs me. it's the ambulances. gardai and fire bridgade driving with their sirens on. Its bloody annoying....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Best way to explain these people with the modded cars is to watch the ad about the modded Microwaves. Then you will realise the intelligence levels involved!!:p

reasonable

That's very open to interpretation .

• Advertisement

At the end of the day people in this country will ALWAYS find something to complain about, anyone who has a genuine grievance about what other cars sound like needs to put there priorities in order. There are more impotant things in life to worry about than some young fella with a loud exhaust.
    That being the case I dont think there would be too much to discuss on these boards as there are far more important things to worry about than a lot of the posts.
    I amnt particularily worried about these people but I do feel they have no reason to be doing what they are doing and in the process of doing this ruin some peoples nights sleep. I am sure there are people who work nights and dont like hearing them during the day either.
    There are also more inportant things in life that putting a loud exhaust on your car-go tell the people that perform these acts this.

Kippy

Advertisement