Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why add such a noisy exhaust to your car? Its bloody annoying...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

cpoh1,
    I appreciate your comments. As it is, I don't 'label' everyone as a boy racer if they fit the bill. However, their actions simply get them into this category.

I'll put it another way - competitiveness. A lot f the time, I will speed - not excessively - when I am driving. I drive with due care and attention when in any residential area, and obey the limits in town/city driving. My speeding is on badly marked N and R roads e.g. the Portarlington road out/in to Tullamore is an R route, and is confined to an 80kph speed limit. However, it is the best road into/out of Tullamore. So, I'll do 100kph - UNLESS I am behind a driver maintaining the proper speed limit. (lets not get into the cynical side of my confession, you can split hairs all ou want regarding this, I know that!).

Yet, if I am doing 100kph on this road, even behind another driver doing the same (as, in fact, is usually the case on this particular road), some boy racer, with his foglights glaring me from 3 angles has to grossly overtake us at speed with a cylinder drum as an exhast, dodgy stickers, driving in 'slouch' mode at the wheel just to be ahead of the posse.

Why be so competitive? I have put some amount of mileage during my time driving, and it is always the boy racers that come out ahead of other drivers, wanting to be 'first in the queue' all the time.

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,466 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi Kippy
    Just a question when my car arrived into the country it had/still has a ziggen5 straight throught s/steel exhaust. I'm guessing its not the original type....Is this illegal? The insurance company never asked and to be honest I really couldnt say for sure its not original spec. So i'm guessing the cars exhaust has been modified but not by me, yet not being an exhaust expert I cant say for sure. Sorry to go off topic but can anyone answer.
    To be honest, I think you should read some earlier posts with excerpts from the law and consult your local gardai to see the legality and implications of such a device.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'd like to point out when I stay in my girlfriends apartment I have to endure drunken rowdy people coming out of pubs til 4am most nights.

Noise pollution! Quick call up the TD's.

I'd like to point out when I stay in my girlfriends apartment I have to endure drunken rowdy people coming out of pubs til 4am most nights.

Go start a new topic and stop deflecting from the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Hi Kippy
    Just a question when my car arrived into the country it had/still has a ziggen5 straight throught s/steel exhaust. I'm guessing its not the original type....Is this illegal? The insurance company never asked and to be honest I really couldnt say for sure its not original spec. So i'm guessing the cars exhaust has been modified but not by me, yet not being an exhaust expert I cant say for sure. Sorry to go off topic but can anyone answer.

I think you will find that it is up to You to declare mods. Not up to insurers to come looking. If you dont declare, and kill someone, when the assessor comes out and sees it, your policy is null and void.
    Mods are classed as any non standard item, - alloys, ICE, exhausts, filters, non turbo declaration etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

layke wrote:

Eh no....... Just close the windows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Victor_M wrote:
    Eh no....... Just close the windows

same could be said to those who complain about loud exhausts

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Kersh wrote:
    I think you will find that it is up to You to declare mods. Not up to insurers to come looking. If you dont declare, and kill someone, when the assessor comes out and sees it, your policy is null and void.
    Mods are classed as a ny non standard item, - alloys, ICE, exhausts, filters, non turbo declaration etc.

Yea silly but i've never really thought about it.
    How many imports are driving on void insurance policies?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

layke wrote:
    I'd like to point out when I stay in my girlfriends apartment I have to endure drunken rowdy people coming out of pubs til 4am most nights...

Wow thats what I call an open relationship...:eek:

Considering the entire thread is full of thread derailing comments what made you pick out my post?

Ok then, to appease Kippy. As said car modders stick performance exhausts onto their cars for performance. Young boy racers attempt to make their car louder so it sounds like they have those sort of mods, often overdoing it.

Quite simply it's an Ego thing.

But to ask anyone here who has been complaining of loud exhausts and the like, have any of you ever been to a modded car meet? The few i've been too has had a mix from absurdly loud exhausts to much much quieter ones. It really does vary but on the whole the groups I have met try to get guards along to events and work with the TD's. All these guys (and there is a lot) are not arseholes who will bomb past your house at 3am.

You just notice the few young adults who can't afford a decent performance part. Then I guess it;'s human nature to only notice the bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Vegeta wrote:

Sorry I only have double glazing not the 8X Glazing required to keep the noise of a 80 HP Micro with a 747 sounding turbine stuck on it's arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Loads are, and if I were Mr Quinn Direct, I would hire guys like me (knowledgeable) to check out wrecks and avoid paying out. Its real easy.
    But such is the Insurance costs here that I dont blame lads for not declaring mods.
    Im willing to bet most boy-racers are more road aware than a good deal of the idiots on our roads.

Seanie M wrote:
    cpoh1,
    I appreciate your comments. As it is, I don't 'label' everyone as a boy racer if they fit the bill. However, their actions simply get them into this category.

I'll put it another way - competitiveness. A lot f the time, I will speed - not excessively - when I am driving. I drive with due care and attention when in any residential area, and obey the limits in town/city driving. My speeding is on badly marked N and R roads e.g. the Portarlington road out/in to Tullamore is an R route, and is confined to an 80kph speed limit. However, it is the best road into/out of Tullamore. So, I'll do 100kph - UNLESS I am behind a driver maintaining the proper speed limit. (lets not get into the cynical side of my confession, you can split hairs all ou want regarding this, I know that!).

Yet, if I am doing 100kph on this road, even behind another driver doing the same (as, in fact, is usually the case on this particular road), some boy racer, with his foglights glaring me from 3 angles has to grossly overtake us at speed with a cylinder drum as an exhast, dodgy stickers, driving in 'slouch' mode at the wheel just to be ahead of the posse.

Why be so competitive? I have put some amount of mileage during my time driving, and it is always the boy racers that come out ahead of other drivers, wanting to be 'first in the queue' all the time.

Seanie.

If someone did this and was driving a BMW, a micra, a corolla, a fiesta, a golf cart i'd think he was a knob. What difference does his car make.

Wow thats what I call an open relationship...:eek:

"Form an orderly line. I SAID ORDERLY"

Vegeta wrote:
    You have to get approval for bar extensions from a judge etc. So its a completely different topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

As someone working in the Irish Motor Trade, and has worked in the UK Motor Trade, let me say that loud exhausts, induction kits, etc, will technically void insurance - but assessors turn a blind eye to the fact. Now if you have a No2 system fitted, or have it chipped, etc, they can dismiss the claim, but you'd want a right prick of an assessor to do that.

Victor_M wrote:
    Sorry I only have double glazing not the 8X Glazing required to keep the noise of a 80 HP Micro with a 747 sounding turbine stuck on it's arse

bad luck for you so

You have to get approval for bar extensions from a judge etc. So its a completely different topic.

that doesn't make the noise go away, the person said close the windows and anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel on dame street will tell you closed windows is not enough.

and pubs do open til after midnight ( i know not quite 2am) without bar extensions don't they, surely that's enough to piss you off if you have young kids trying to sleep

a boy racer is someone who drives a modded car aggressively

what's a person who just drives aggressively called??

Mods are alol legal if declared to the insurance company.

Also safety is not an issue.

Considering the entire thread is full of thread derailing comments what made you pick out my post?

Ok then, to appease Kippy. As said car modders stick performance exhausts onto their cars for performance. Young boy racers attempt to make their car louder so it sounds like they have those sort of mods, often overdoing it.

Quite simply it's an Ego thing.

But to ask anyone here who has been complaining of loud exhausts and the like, have any of you ever been to a modded car meet? The few i've been too has had a mix from absurdly loud exhausts to much much quieter ones. It really does vary but on the whole the groups I have met try to get guards along to events and work with the TD's. All these guys (and there is a lot) are not arseholes who will bomb past your house at 3am.

You just notice the few young adults who can't afford a decent performance part. Then I guess it;'s human nature to only notice the bad.
    Why I picked on your comment? Because it was COMPLETELY off topic and hasnt really added anything to the thread only smart comments about your girlfriend.
    Again, how many times do I need to re-iterate-I have no problem with the majority of people who have modded cars-however it is a lie to say there are only "a handful" of young people who are causing the noise levels to be high. There are more than a handful-and they do cause a bad image for people you do attend these rallys and have an interest in modified cars but as has already been pointed out, I suppose these people would probably be very un co-operative no matter what they drove.

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote:
    that doesn't make the noise go away, the person said close the windows and anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel on dame street will tell you closed windows is not enough....

Did you not notice you were in the middle of a capital city when you booked the hotel?
    Vegeta wrote:
    and pubs do open til after midnight ( i know not quite 2am) without bar extensions don't they, surely that's enough to piss you off if you have young kids trying to sleep...

Not really I don't let them sleep in a pub.

Did you not notice the pub when you moved in?
    Vegeta wrote:

A guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

maidhc wrote:
    As a car lover I think "fartknockers" is a fine word for those exhausts.

Not only are they loud, but they sound rotten! And who cares if you get 5hp more on a 1.1 car!

On the other hand I would have no problem about being woken in the middle of the night by the sweet thrum of a V8. :)

If you are a car lover then you will surely understand that adding an aftermarket exhaust is an essential part of adding performance to a car. My little farknocker gave me an extra 35bhp in my skyline thank you very much, nearly half the total power of a 1.4L focus. I wonder what you think as a car lover about the mitsubishi lancer evo 9? It has a straight from the factory, 3.5" cat back ralliart exhaust. And yes it is loud, doesnt sound rotten though.
    kippy wrote:
    Cpoh1,
    I have gone out of my way not to be sterotypical in this thread as I know a lot of people with modified cars. These people are no different to anyone else.
    It is the few who CHOSE to make life that bit more awful for others that I have the problem with. Again, as I mentioned up above, even with these noisy cars, I do not have too much of a problem with them being noisy during the day time and I have absoultely no problem with the ones that are quieter than a transit van.
    I think the narrowmindedness in this thread is coming from the people who cannot see that fitting a car with a modified exhaust for the purpose of making extra noise, and driving that said car around a populated area at night is going to annoy some/alot of people.

Now, this being a motoring forum, I didnt expect to get much support in the call for people to have a bit more respect for others when the modify their car-or at least when they modify it to make it louder, that they keep it out of built up areas after dark.
    NOTE-I HAVE NOT STEROTYPED ANYONE

Kippy I agree with what your saying, and my narrowminded comment was not directed at you psecifically more the people out there who equate aftermraket exhausts with boy racers and scumbags. I do understand that there is a small small miority out there who put an exhaust on their car simply for the noise and nothing else, again this is a minority in my book.

As far as the law goes on aftermarket exhausts its pretty clear. Any exhaust added to the car that exceeds the standard noise output of the car is deemed illegal. In the uk they have a certain noise level cutoff point that needs to be met at mot time and also can be tested at road side check points. The sooner we get a system like this over here the better.

Lads people here need to realise that not everyone who has a modified car is a scut and not everyone who drives a car like this is a menace on the roads. My original point is that most of these guys driving around with loud exhausts is not a big deal in the greater scheme of things, most of them will grow out of the phase anyway. I also cant understand why people are so vociferous about noise pollution when there have been so other many valid causes of noise mentioned already. As far as im concerned buses, trucks, large vans, and bikes are just as loud, not to mention drunk people at night as someone rightly pointde out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

ninja900 wrote:
    How can people quote chapter and verse on the law yet claim it says something it clearly doesn't.

There is no law against aftermarket exhausts (provided you pass NCT)

There is no noise limit, however noise must not be 'excessive'. This is entirely subjective according to the opinion of the Garda concerned.

If you re-read my post, you will see it was in the context of removing the catalytic converter, a necessary process if one is to install a straight-through exhaust.

I never mentioned the legislation wrt silencer noise. However, I would imagine that a reasonable level (which others mentioned as being subjective) could be interpreted to be the original levels specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle.
    Before anyone jumps on me, this point is purely speculative.

Vegeta wrote:
    that doesn't make the noise go away, the person said close the windows and anyone who has ever stayed in a hotel on dame street will tell you closed windows is not enough....

Did you not notice you were in the middle of a capital city when you booked the hotel?
    Vegeta wrote:
    and pubs do open til after midnight ( i know not quite 2am) without bar extensions don't they, surely that's enough to piss you off if you have young kids trying to sleep...

Not really I don't let them sleep in a pub.

Did you not notice the pub when you moved in?
    Vegeta wrote:

A guard?

cpoh1, thanks for the clarification.
    Lads people here need to realise that not everyone who has a modified car is a scut and not everyone who drives a car like this is a menace on the roads. My original point is that most of these guys driving around with loud exhausts is not a big deal in the greater scheme of things, most of them will grow out of the phase anyway. I also cant understand why people are so vociferous about noise pollution when there have been so other many valid causes of noise mentioned already. As far as im concerned buses, trucks, large vans, and bikes are just as loud, not to mention drunk people at night as someone rightly pointde out.
    Busses, trucks, large vans and indeed bikes dont tend to go around housing estates late at night and as has already been mentioned many many times, these vehicles are louder than cars anyway and in general will not have been intentionally made louder by their owners.
    As for drunk people, I have never had drunk people wake me up unless they lived in the same house and in which case they would generally get a good earbashing about doing it again.
    The other thing which I would like to point out is that even though some people in this thread have classed the "modified cars" into two categories, those belonging to 18,19,20 year olds who add the exhausts simply to make more noise and the "Real modified" car owners, very few of you have actually said that driving these cars around estates late at night making noise is of a complete disregard for everyone but yourself. Would you ever point out to these people that what they are doing is pretty stupid and annoying people?

Again, this being a motoring forum, I dont expect to get too much backing.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

cpoh1 wrote:
    It has a straight from the factory, 3.5" cat back ralliart exhaust. And yes it is loud, doesnt sound rotten though.

Any production car, van or truck will not be as loud as a little corsa with a silly cheapo loud exhaust! I would suggest there is a difference between the rather deep noise from a skyline or Evo and the "farting" noise from a low capacity engine, the latter is far more annoying, and far more common. When I was in the states the nicest sound you could hear was a elderly pony car at the traffic lights, it was lound, but hell it sounded lovely!

Since I drive a diesel there is no point in me ever fitting anything other than an OEM exhaust. Aftermarket exhausts, like dump valves, offer NO performance advantages for for derv cars.

Its all noise and a baby in bed, or anyone for that matter doesn't care if its a Turbo Micra or a Skyline delivering pizza's at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

cpoh1 wrote:
    . My little farknocker gave me an extra 35bhp in my skyline thank you very much, nearly half the total power of a 1.4L focus.

Any dyno results for this piece of magic?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Its all noise and a baby in bed, or anyone for that matter doesn't care if its a Turbo Micra or a Skyline delivering pizza's at 11pm.

Yep your right, if in both cases the cars are being driven by inconsiderate fools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gyppo wrote:
    If you re-read my post, you will see it was in the context of removing the catalytic converter, a necessary process if one is to install a straight-through exhaust.
    Yes I knew that.
    I never mentioned the legislation wrt silencer noise. However, I would imagine that a reasonable level (which others mentioned as being subjective)
    It's not "reasonable", it's "excessive". As the type-approval limits for cars and especially bikes are quite low these days an exhaust could be louder than stock but in no way excessive.
    How it's used has a lot to do with it too. Big throttle openings/high revs at night near residential areas is more likely to be considered excessive than broad daylight on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere.
    could be interpreted to be the original levels specified by the manufacturer of the vehicle. Before anyone jumps on me, this point is purely speculative.
    I doubt any solicitor worth his salt would allow the courts to interpret the law in such a fashion as to effectively rewrite it. IF the law was meant to mean that, then it should say that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement