Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M18 - Gort to Crusheen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Hope to god this is done soon, and I hope that I dont have to go through Iraq, I mean Gort again. The road is shockingly bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 parklands

I travelled from Ennis northbound on Thursday and noticed the following changes

The work on the tie in at the end of the current M18 is ongoing.

• Northbound traffic is now diverted onto the southbound lane, and then onto the old N-18 to allow the completion of the Northbound to northbound traffic.

• The overbridge which will carry the old N18 over the M18 at barefield is complete, with the exception of a 50m section which will link back onto the old N18 near Ballyline and the Irish Aviation Authority radio station.

• The underpass taking traffic to the Dromore nature sanctuary is now open, complete with old signpost and pole!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

parklands wrote: »

• The underpass taking traffic to the Dromore nature sanctuary is now open, complete with old signpost and pole!

Thanks parklands. I actually wondered if they would ever open it! :rolleyes::D It has to be the longest time between actually building the bridge/overpass, surfacing it and opening. You'd think they'd have been in a hurry to open it to take all the cars having to drive over the motorway at the old exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Thanks parklands. I actually wondered if they would ever open it! :rolleyes::D It has to be the longest time between actually building the bridge/overpass, surfacing it and opening. You'd think they'd have been in a hurry to open it to take all the cars having to drive over the motorway at the old exit.

I can see a few accidents here before the road opens. The left turn onto it coming from ennis is way too sharp. Its stupid with so much space.

I tried to take the tubber road this morning to have a look at whats going on but diversions in place, relaying the old road i think. They are working most evenings on the road, til 9 or so. I would imagine we will see the Crusheen tie in being used in the nxt few weeks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is anyone going to update OSM with this scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 breenooo1986

Hey does anyone know the estimated date that M18 Crusheen to Gort will open?

Just another thing to note, it seems like there will be no kerbing on the road verges. It looks a bit strange to have it finished like that

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Its like that on some of the M7 Birdhill to Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is there kerbing on the Ennis bypass? Can't remember offhand.

topper75 wrote: »
    Is there kerbing on the Ennis bypass? Can't rem offhand.

Yeah, there is alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

spacetweek wrote: »
    Is anyone going to update OSM with this scheme?

Simple answer: yes!

More complicated answer - it's likely that, once it's open, one of the main mappers will be long to survey it. AIUI the northern end already has tie-ins that make the existing map incorrect, but that hasn't been enough reason for me to drive from Dublin to survey just that. If anybody has GPS traces (or can get them) for either the opened or unopened sections, please PM me and I can get it on the map.

Once it's open, at the latest, you can be sure it will end up on the map soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Some crash barriers are now erected from Crusheen to cragard which can be seen from the current N18. The underpass near ballyline is now open and they destroyed the old road well and now its covered over with CBM. Hopefully this scheme will finish soon.

It said in the last newsletter that the crusheen tie in will happen soon, anyone got any idea when? i will miss that bad bend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I've got to fly from Shannon in late October - does anyone actually know yet wil I have to drive through Gort. I can't find on this thread when it is actually going to open.....I can't wait.

Some news reports in the Clare Herald have stated October is the month it will open to traffic. It may be opened in time for you to make your journey down to Shannon. Wearing course is now going down on the stretch as well as crash barriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

tech2 wrote: »
    Some news reports in the Clare Herald have stated October is the month it will open to traffic. .

When this is opened and the Gort Tuam secton is open it really is going to make a huge differences to doing business in the west, roll on with the opening of this section and then Gort Tuam.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Kerbing is only needed when you have gullies at the edge of the hard shoulder to catch the rainwater runoff. The M18 is using a different technique, something like a gutter on a roof to catch the water. It runs of the road completley and into the chanel thats along the roadside egde and into the drainage system from there. AFAIK :)
    glineli wrote: »
    Just another thing to note, it seems like there will be no kerbing on the road verges. It looks a bit strange to have it finished like that

I went home via Tubber yesterday and when i got to the Gort Tubber overpass, when you look north, there are road markings down on the north bound lane, great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

I went home via Tubber yesterday and when i got to the Gort Tubber overpass, when you look north, there are road markings down on the north bound lane, great to see

thats the style of it lads... come on come on..... my poor golf is traumatised every time i go through gort.

This shows that the road is within weeks of opening :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Hard to believe it's almost here,this will help Shannon airport a bit too much closer to Galway when opened

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

gally74 wrote: »
    Hard to believe it's almost here,this will help Shannon airport a bit too much closer to Galway when opened

So close we could rename it Gort International Airport, but on a serious note I do see this road leading to the end of Galway Airport.

Galway Airport to Shannon Airport less than 50 min?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Story on the RTE site about a legal case that might have impacted on concrete supply. Could do without such a holdup now with the end in sight.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0913/gort.html

The High Court has granted an injunction preventing the obstructing of the entrance to a quarry in Gort in Co Galway.
    Peter Good of Good Concrete sought the injunction against Peter Howley.
    The court was told there was a dispute in which Peter Good alleged the diesel supplied by Mr Howley was contaminated and Mr Howley alleged he was owed €90,000 by Mr Good's company.
    On Friday morning, Mr Good said the entrance to his quarry at Sheehaun in Gort was blocked by six vehicles.
    Mr Good said he had a contract worth €8m with Siac/Willis to provide concrete for the new motorway between Gort and Cusheen and Siac had told them they would have to source the concrete elsewhere unless he could restore supply.
    The case will be before the court again tomorrow morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭AOwannabe

^^^ "Peter Good of Good Concrete"

I think that should be spelt as Peter Goode of Goode Concrete and they are (hmmm... how to put this politely) not a nice company to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nice Uncle P

"...which Peter Good alleged the diesel supplied by Mr Howley was contaminated..."

I'd heard that rumour about the fuel sold by that station years ago, but the last few times I filled up there was better mpg/kpl than many of the other garages on the N18. Roll on the opening and get the whiners below decks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wes31

i do get petrol there for the mower and there is always black bits in the fuel can. even washed out the fuel can a couple a times to make sure it was coming from the pump. sure a bit of dirty fuel never hurt a lawnmower would not buy for my car the fix might be too costly if it get passed filters

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

tech2 wrote: »
    This shows that the road is within weeks of opening :)
    Talking to employee of main contractor today. They are only "hopeful" that it will be open for christmas. Disappointing to say the least!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Talking to employee of main contractor today. They are only "hopeful" that it will be open for christmas. Disappointing to say the least!!!!

This is hard to understand considering that they have begun lining some of the carrigeways.

Wonder what is delaying them? This Goode thing is no longer an issue I understand

Went down to Crusheen tie in yesterday, a lot of work done there on the signage and also the lampposts both on the motorway entrance and exit and the the crusheen roundabout.

This morning went to galway via tubber, no more linage done, still only northbound lane north of the gort-tubber overpass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Any signs going up yet on the new scheme?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement