Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Dades wrote: »
    I'm not finding this discussion interesting either!

Do I need to move these posts out, or is it likely to conclude anytime soon? :)

It's concluded now :)

This might have been posted before but anyway, there's a massive hexagonal storm at Saturn's north pole about four times the size of earth:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091209151244.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    This might have been posted before but anyway, there's a massive hexagonal storm at Saturn's north pole about four times the size of earth:
    ****ing brilliant. this would make a great retort to anyone claiming fantastic things for religion.

'jesus died for your sins'
    'yeah, but there's a massive hexagonal storm at Saturn's north pole about four times the size of earth'

'my granny went to lourdes and her incurable potty mouth was cured instantly'
    'yeah, but there's a massive hexagonal storm at Saturn's north pole about four times the size of earth'

etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Evidence for Hexagod

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

liamw wrote: »
    Evidence for Hexagod

Or a giant honeybee god :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Plato was right? drat. Now we have to abandon experiment and go back to musing about the perfect solids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Any budding inventors out there who fancy their chances at making some dosh, NASA has announced their three new centennial challenges - worth $5 million in prize money...

Nano-Satellite Launch Challenge, Night Rover Challenge & Sample Return Robot Challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

****ing brilliant. this would make a great retort to anyone claiming fantastic things for religion.

'jesus died for your sins'

'my granny went to lourdes and her incurable potty mouth was cured instantly'

etc. etc.

Something like this :pac:

20100706.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

All this talk of hexagons is reminding me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Just found out that Darrel Ray author of The God Virus will be interviewed on my station on our Humanism programme at 15.00 today.

Livestream here:
    http://www.near.ie/livestream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Just found out that Darrel Ray author of The God Virus will be interviewed on my station on our Humanism programme at 15.00 today.

Livestream here:
    http://www.near.ie/livestream

Good Show, will try to remember to listen next week :D

This conversation on Darwin, DNA, religion, neurology and ants between Charlie Rose, Edward O. Wilson & James Watson is utterly amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/92169/120617.jpg

Big image, embedding is not a good idea, click it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/92169/120617.jpg

Big image, embedding is not a good idea, click it :)

Really makes you wonder why the fook megalodon would be interested in living there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Iran in the 1970s (pre-revolution of course).

Tried to include a couple of images but for some reason they both just showed up as broken images.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Iran in the 1970s (pre-revolution of course).

Tried to include a couple of images but for some reason they both just showed up as broken images.

It's really sad to see something like that happen to a country.

Woah, what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Islamic Revolution.

In fairness, life under the Shah wasn't all rosy and sweet. Not the place to get into it, but it's worth a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Nevore wrote: »
    Islamic Revolution.

In fairness, life under the Shah wasn't all rosy and sweet. Not the place to get into it, but it's worth a look at.

So I hear, and I've no doubt. But can you imagine the disappointment? "Here lads, the French had a revolution and now all they do is sit about all day smoking and drinking wine, let's have a go." talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Theres a very good animated film about a young girl coming of age during the Iranian revolution called "Persepolis", definitely worth watching for anyone interested in the subject. It gives you an idea of the some of the recent history of Iran and how the revolution effected peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Standman wrote: »
    Theres a very good animated film about a young girl coming of age during the Iranian revolution called "Persepolis", definitely worth watching for anyone interested in the subject. It gives you an idea of the some of the recent history of Iran and how the revolution effected peoples lives.

You know it was built on a graphic novel of the same name? Same drawing style - haven't seen the film, but I assume Marjane Satrapi (the author/artist) was deeply involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Read the graphic novel when it was first released. Quality stuff. One of those that helped convince the parents of my teenage self that I wasn't completely wasting my money buying comics.

mehfesto wrote: »

"Other football shirts deemed unacceptable by the religious leaders include Brazil, Portugal, Serbia, Barcelona and Norway because their crests all carry images of a cross"

I wonder is that why Arsenal changed their crest recently (to sell more shirts in the Muslim market?)

_1795444_new_arsenal_crest_300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I know there are probably a lot of people who don't like the groups on facebook relating to getting so many people to join for whatever reason for whatever date. Nonetheless, there is a link some may be interested in. We CAN and we WILL find 1,000,000 who accept Evolution by June 2011.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^

I've already decided not to join that group for the same reason I'm not joining the "We CAN and we WILL find 1,000,000 who accept Gravity" group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'm a card carrying member of this group:

Gravity Does Not Exist

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

There was a "Million people like evolution before June 2010" thing which petered out at the end of May at around half a million. Not quite sure why somebody's trying again.

This group is much more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

robindch wrote: »
    This group is much more fun!

He's playing football with a head of lettuce, that's my kind of group!

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    There was a "Million people like evolution before June 2010" thing which petered out at the end of May at around half a million. Not quite sure why somebody's trying again.

It was a direct response to a Creationism one. (the evolution one while not making it to a million, fared a lot better) Since the Creationists are trying again so too are the evolution group. Internet willy waving at its finest.

Advertisement