Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I know there are probably a lot of people who don't like the groups on facebook relating to getting so many people to join for whatever reason for whatever date. Nonetheless, there is a link some may be interested in. We CAN and we WILL find 1,000,000 who accept Evolution by June 2011.

What is the point in these groups, I don't get it?

It's a great example of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

liamw wrote: »

I suppose it's kind of like saying "Even though your argument holds no water, cause it's silly, it still doesn't support what you're saying".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Galvasean wrote: »
    I wonder is that why Arsenal changed their crest recently (to sell more shirts in the Muslim market?)
    There was some issue with trademark - the old crest was either effectively in the public domain, or somehow easy to make a generic copy of. That was the official reasoning, as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Must have been the public domain thing, because it's a heck of a lot more complex than the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Ah the classic line from some shampoo advert, "2 million women can't be wrong." I always Godwin any conversation when that ad comes on telly. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A lot of creationists believe that having lots of people on their side increases their credibility. This group is just reply to that in terms that creationists can understand.

It adds nothing to the debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Good grief. I honestly dont know what to make of this. http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=5922&action=newsdetails

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Good grief. I honestly dont know what to make of this. http://www.shannonside.ie/news-details.php?nid=5922&action=newsdetails
    That's incredible. A politician who won't abide being a hypocrite? These agnostics might well save the country from itself. :pac:

Nevore wrote: »
    That's incredible. A politician who won't abide being a hypocrite? These agnostics might well save the country from itself. :pac:

Whats interesting is that the councillors just regard it as keeping up a tradition, they arent offended on religious grounds. I've often contended that Irish catholicism is more of an ingrained habit than a religion. Just something you do because sure its what ya do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Whats interesting is that the councillors just regard it as keeping up a tradition, they arent offended on religious grounds. I've often contended that Irish catholicism is more of an ingrained habit than a religion. Just something you do because sure its what ya do!
    Hmm, I'd ascribe different motives. To my mind, they're complaining on the grounds of tradition because they know given the usual mood of the country these days, complaining about stripping Christianity out of public life or whatever, would be met with more ridicule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Not to nitpick or anything...
    [...]agnostic says he does not believe in God[...]

Yeah. I spotted that.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

[...]agnostic says he does not believe in God[...]
    Can you imagine the ruckus if he'd said he was an atheist?

Angry-mob-300x255.jpg

Dades wrote: »
    Can you imagine the ruckus if he'd said he was an atheist?

Angry-mob-300x255.jpg

The brave councillor in question is one Luke 'Ming the merciless' Flanagan who ran on some sort of legalise cannabis stance in the past. Nice beard!!http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/services/corporate/lflanagan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

The brave councillor in question is one Luke 'Ming the merciless' Flanagan who ran on some sort of legalise cannabis stance in the past. Nice beard!!http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/services/corporate/lflanagan.html

My hero. Not only a godless politician but a pothead to boot ... and he's been made mayor of Roscommon! Priceless.

I was wondering if he was still about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

Good man. I've had enough of bloody tradition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

am nitpicking. an agnostic does not believe in god. if he did believe in god, he would not be an agnostic.

say i am dubious about string theory as holding the solution to the laws of nature. so it's not a leap to say 'i don't believe string theory is the answer, but (because?) i am keeping an open mind'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

am nitpicking. an agnostic does not believe in god. if he did believe in god, he would not be an agnostic..

Of course they can :confused: . I believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may not exist. Maybe everyone who supposedly goes there is brainwashed into thinking its real and all the satellite pics are projections of bond villian proportions. Who can really say for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

am nitpicking. an agnostic does not believe in god. if he did believe in god, he would not be an agnostic.

Damn, you totally caught me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eoin5 wrote: »
    I believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may not exist.
    four possibilities:
    I believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may not exist.
    I believe that Australia exists but I don't believe in the possibility that it may not exist.
    I don't believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may exist.
    I don't believe that Australia exists but I don't believe in the possibility that it may not exist.

i can't remember what my point was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

four possibilities:
    I believe that Australia exists but I don't believe in the possibility that it may not exist.
    I don't believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may exist.
    I don't believe that Australia exists but I don't believe in the possibility that it may not exist.

i can't remember what my point was.

The point I get is that agnostics can be theists or atheists.

"Gnostic" Theist: I believe that Australia exists but I don't believe in the possibility that it may not exist.
    Agnostic Theist: I believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may not exist.
    Agnostic Atheist: I don't believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may exist.
    "Gnostic" Atheist: I don't believe that Australia exists but I don't believe in the possibility that it may not exist.

Inverted commas around Gnostic because no-one ever uses the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Pygmalion wrote: »

"Gnostic" Theist: I believe that Australia exists but I don't believe in the possibility that it may not exist.
    Agnostic Theist: I believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may not exist.
    Agnostic Atheist: I don't believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may exist.
    "Gnostic" Atheist: I don't believe that Australia exists but I don't believe in the possibility that it may not exist.

My head hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

My head hurts.

Wait until we through deism in there for good measure :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anyone know of any decent RECENT debates online featuring the usual suspects? I've seen a lot of them but haven't seen anything new in a while.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Nah, I've been busy lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Pygmalion wrote: »

The last one's not possible, you can't disbelieve that something exists then believe that it is impossible that it doesn't exist. I think it should be:
    I don't believe that Australia exists and I don't believe in the possibility that it may exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Time to get nerdy...

Statement: If something is a bird, it is an animal".

Inverse: "If something is not a bird, then it is not an animal."

Converse: "If something is an animal, then it is a bird."

Contrapositive: "If something is not an animal, then it is not a bird"

Contradiction: "There exists a bird that is not an animal"

contrapositive

Statement: I believe that Australia exists and actually believe in the possibility that it exists. "Gnostic" Australiyist

Inverse: I don't believe that Australia exists and I actually don't believe in the possibility that it exists. Atheistic Australiyist

Converse: I believe in the possibility that Australia exists & I actually believe that it exists. "Gnostic" Australiyist

Contrapositive: I don't believe in the possibility that Australia exists & I actually don't believe that it exists. Atheistic Australiyist

Contradiction: I believe that Australia exists but actually don't believe in the possibility that it exists. Hardcore Theist (it's a fact, not a possibility!!!)

Working within the confines of my superficial knowledge of discrete math I can't fix this one up :( Anyone do any better?

I'm trying to incorporate:

I don't believe that Australia exists but actually believe in the possibility that it exists. "Agnostic" Australiyist

(I'm thinking converse contradiction but it's not actually a contradiction!)

&

I believe that Australia exists but I also believe in the possibility that it may not exist. "Skeptical" Australiyist

into their proper categories...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Anyone know of any decent RECENT debates online featuring the usual suspects? I've seen a lot of them but haven't seen anything new in a while.

I think the extras on The Genius of Charles Darwin are great. They are like mini debates & there's like 20 hours altogether, haven't even seen them all yet...

The Steven Rose & Franz De Waal are my favourites.

You'll find random Michael Shermer debates on google video with creationists, holocaust deniers etc... lol & PZ Meyers, Steven Pinker etc...

I love watching any kind of debates so if you have suggestions of old ones you've seen that are kind of obscure or whatever, let us know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Breeders in Georgia have successfully crosbred a donkey with a zebra:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0730/zebra_donkey.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Galvasean wrote: »
    Breeders in Georgia have successfully crosbred a donkey with a zebra:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0730/zebra_donkey.html

A Zonkey? :D

Doh! I replied before I read the article. Damn my lack of originality!

Advertisement