Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

"Ireland is a catholic country"......

Interesting thread in After Hours......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056009933

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Anyone else get the feeling that the smaller a frog is the more it looks like it has dedicated it's existance to bringing about your personal demise.....?

Just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

strobe wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling that the smaller a frog is the more it looks like it has dedicated it's existance to bringing about your personal demise.....?

Just me?
    To me it just looks tasty, possibly cola flavoured.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"How Monkeys Mirror Human Irrationality"

http://scientopia.org/blogs/thisscientificlife/2010/08/10/laurie-santos-how-monkeys-mirror-human-irrationality/

Haven't got around to watching this yet, but it looks interesting. If somebody has 20 mins to spare, do please do have a look at it and let us know if it's any good! The title looks promising :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A nice, albeit morbid, tribute to Hitchens.

You think Velociraptor is scary? Wait 'til you meet the Uber-raptor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

robindch wrote: »
    "How Monkeys Mirror Human Irrationality"

http://scientopia.org/blogs/thisscientificlife/2010/08/10/laurie-santos-how-monkeys-mirror-human-irrationality/

Haven't got around to watching this yet, but it looks interesting. If somebody has 20 mins to spare, do please do have a look at it and let us know if it's any good! The title looks promising :)
    Two minutes in and she's mentioned cringe-video depository FailBlog and used the word 'awesomer'.

It does seem like interesting stuff though, so I'll let her away with it.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ShumanTheHuman

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...]
    Three minutes from first post to permaban -- a new forum record!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0901/1224277972829.html?via=mr

Vincenzo Browne putting the boot into Diarmuid Martin's hypocrisy, among other targets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't see where he accuses him of being a hypocrite?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/animal-camouflage.htm/printable

Thought this was pretty cool. How animals develop camouflage I think is one of the most amazing areas of natural selection.

Religion-Weighted-Flow.jpg
    Taken from elsewhere - don't know the source.

how are you supposed to read it Pg? Anyone? I can't seem to figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just look at the colours and size of the circles. The CoE circle at birth seems to split almost in two between CoE and no religion at present. Roman Catholic loses a fair amount to irreligion but not to other denominations, non-Christians seem to stay fairly consistant while irreligion loses few of the people born into it and gains mainly from Christian religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

The circles are colour coded by religion. These are labelled on the right.

The areas of the circles on the left are proportional to the percentage of people who were brought up in that particular religion (or lack thereof).

The areas of the circles on the right are proportional to the percentage of people who currently identify as that particular religion.

The lines in between show who moved from what to what. Thicker lines mean more people moving.

Oh, and the circles are ordered by the predominance of each group.

The notable thing is that the only group to have significant gains over time is atheism. Relatively few people convert to a different religion. Also, the CoE loses a huge percentage of its members to atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

NewScientist has a review of the book online. They also have a piece about the Media (as usual) inaccuracy which claims that Hawkins was searching for God's actual mind when he wrote "A Brief History of Time" e.g the Guardian Article above. As is typical of NewScientist when dealing with distortions of science by the media they usually add in some humour to highlight their point.
    Likewise, in 2001 I interviewed Hawking and he made a telling remark underlining how he was not religious. He told me: "If you believe in science, like I do, you believe that there are certain laws that are always obeyed. If you like, you can say the laws are the work of God, but that is more a definition of God than a proof of his existence."

And in a piece by him that I edited in 2008, he described how he attended a conference on cosmology at the Vatican, where the pope told the delegates they should not inquire into the beginning of the universe itself, because that was the moment of creation and the work of God.

Hawking joked, "I was glad he didn't realise I had already presented a paper at the conference investigating precisely that issue: I didn't fancy the thought of being handed over to the inquisition like Galileo."

Right as for Hawkins well he seems to be putting his faith in M Theory. His perspective is interesting though. He doesn't think we'll ever find a theory of everything (TOE) because all we have done is made window approximations into the universe and although they will be never be complete, they will allow us to have an almost completed incomplete jigsaw of reality.

The BIG PROBLEM about this viewpoint of Hawkins is folks are going to ask "But where do these "laws" come from?" and not even bother their arses to realise that M Theory would actually explain that i.e they probably won't read the book and will just rely erroneously on their own intuitive senses regarding what Hawkins is saying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

http://secweb.infidels.org/article820.html

Excellent article about the futility of prayer that I read today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This has to have been posted in this thread, but I'm just finally getting around to reading Dawkins ''The Greatest Show on Earth'' which references the Hillis Tree in the chapter on molecular genetics.

So of course I had to have a look at it myself.

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/faculty/antisense/tree.pdf

You can see from this who our closest living cousins are, from a sample of about 3000 species anyway. You're going to have to zoom in quite a bit!

I may actually have to get this printed and put up on the wall! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

This has to have been posted in this thread, but I'm just finally getting around to reading Dawkins ''The Greatest Show on Earth'' which references the Hillis Tree in the chapter on molecular genetics.

You can see from this who our closest living cousins are, from a sample of about 3000 species anyway. You're going to have to zoom in quite a bit!

These lucky SOBs only have like 3 common ancestors back to the beginning

Pyrodictium occultum
    Thermoproteus tenax

Cool. Why do fungi get their own section seperate form the other plants anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Cool. Why do fungi get their own section seperate form the other plants anyone?
    Fungi are a group of organisms and micro-organisms that are classified within their own kingdom, the fungal kingdom, as they are neither plant nor animal. Fungi draw their nutrition from decaying organic matter, living plants and even animals. They do not photosynthesize as they totally lack the green pigment chlorophyll, present in green plants.
    Apparently they're not plants at all!

Nevore wrote: »
    Apparently they're not plants at all!

I see... This is why this is one of my favourite threads on boards. Learn something new every day.

• Advertisement

Species of lizard caught in transition between egg laying and birthing live young:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/09/100901-science-animals-evolution-australia-lizard-skink-live-birth-eggs/

So next time someone asks for an example of a currently living transitional form in the wild this is your best example.

Advertisement