Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dades wrote: »
    ^^
    I've always has a suspicion about that M&S "Dine in for 2" wine.

That stuff is antifreeze!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Beruthiel wrote: »
    robindch wrote: »
    On very rare occasions, I'd invite a certain mate of mine along for dinner in my place with a few friends. He was notorious for showing up with a bottle of the cheapest crap imaginable, but would still drink everybody else's better stuff while leaving his stuff untouched. He even tried it on with something from the earlier days of M+S wineshelves one time, a bottle that was so acidic, I couldn't even cook with it afterwards.

Anyhow, one evening a few months after the M+S bottle incident, he and another friend arrived together, and the two of them asked me for a glass of wine. I headed into the kitchen, closed the door and filled the nice friend's glass with the good stuff, and filled Mr Stinge's glass with something out of a rank bottle I'd opened the previous week. As I was filling his one, the door opened and Mr Stinge sauntered in, looked at the two bottles on the worktop, the two glasses of wine with obviously different-colored red wine in each, and said "I suppose you're pouring me out a glass of that cheap-looking stuff?" "Actually, yes I am -- here you go."

Next time he showed up, he arrived with something drinkable.
    Mr Stinge, btw, is one of the few people I know who goes to church regularly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Mr Stinge, btw, is one of the few people I know who goes to church regularly.

If it's one of those church that do the wine thang he may have acquired a taste for the nasty stuff. :p

Many many years ago 10 year old Bannasidhe was chosen along with her mother for the honour of bringing up the Bread and Wine to the alter in a well known Cork city centre church.

I was given the 'wine' - but it didn't smell right so as we were leaving the Sacristy I lifted the lid of the chalice to have a proper look/smell. Mother stabbed me in the side with her elbow (specially sharpened for just such occasions) and told me to 'Stop it' in that wait til I get you home hiss we all know so well.

Cue outraged defense, loudly voiced just as we entered the Nave 'But Mam - this isn't wine! It's Brandy!!!' It echoed for ages :D

We were never honoured again....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Beruthiel wrote: »

You can get orange juice as a non-alcoholic alternative. Their orange juice is bloody lovely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    It's Brandy!!!
    236560.jpg

• Advertisement

236560.jpg

Strangely the priest didn't look at all happy...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Likewise, for some religious groups or people who abstain from eating pig meat, the presence of traces of pig DNA is unacceptable,” he said.

Is it still a sin if you don't know you're eating it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kylith wrote: »
    You can get orange juice as a non-alcoholic alternative. Their orange juice is bloody lovely.
    Not always, unfortunately. Sometimes they have some sort of fizzy apple juice that is nearly as bad as the wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He even tried it on with something from the earlier days of M+S wineshelves one time, a bottle that was so acidic, I couldn't even cook with it afterwards.

Keith Floyd always said if it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to go into the pan :D

_46379871_000960173-1.jpg

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Keith Floyd always said if it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to go into the pan :D

Back in my cheffing days I cooked with Keith a few times...always ended up hung-over for days. Can't remember more than a 'splash' ever going in the pan...

• Advertisement

Did he ever find a wine not good enough to drink? It doesn't seem like it.

I remember seeing him cook Marijuana and zebu penis stew once. How pissed do you have to be for that to sound like a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

kylith wrote: »
    Did he ever find a wine not good enough to drink? It doesn't seem like it.

I remember seeing him cook Marijuana and zebu penis stew once. How pissed do you have to be for that to sound like a good idea?

And I thought the Chinese would eat anything!

I have a good pal here who's been playing the dating game for quite a while. His longest daliance has been with a Sichuan girl who loves nature programmes, but every beastie that came onscreen is greated with the same question: "Can you eat those?"

He eats out a lot these days.

pauldla wrote: »
    And I thought the Chinese would eat anything!

I have a good pal here who's been playing the dating game for quite a while. His longest daliance has been with a Sichuan girl who loves nature programmes, but every beastie that came onscreen is greated with the same question: "Can you eat those?"

He eats out a lot these days.

I seem to remember he was somewhere in Africa at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

**** that Tesco Burger, there's a horse inside! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

legspin wrote: »
    “With this ruling, the court has established that freedom of religion is an individual right. It is emphatically not a collective right to discriminate against LGBT people, women, or people of another faith or life stance.”

Hmmmm - wonder if that impacts on The Employment Equality Acts of 1998 & 2004 (Section 37 i)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Obviously those judges didn't read post #19. :rolleyes:

Yes, I've been looking for an excuse to use this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

The dumb leading the dumber?

Watch in order (They're short)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Liamario wrote: »
    The dumb leading the dumber?

Watch in order (They're short)

Just wow.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

That is completely astounding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Wow.

I wonder if that was before or after Cooper came out?

Normally I can understand people's point of view, even if I don't agree with them. I can't even begin to understand that woman. She's doing the whole "I'm so put upon" routine, like it's ridiculous to be questioned about what she believes when her ideas are insane.

Kill off the current crop of gay people even though you know that won't stop there being gay people? Ironically, lock gay men up with a load of other gay men?

Terrifying to think that people like that Pastor are privy to more influence, wealth and attention than most sensible people will ever get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I would imagine that it does a great disservice to religion to hide your biggoted views behind a religion, or worse yet, to use religion to justify biggoted views.

I mean, religion is the most fun if you like contradictions, so God thinks homosexuality is terrible, in the same verse as eating fish on a Friday is equally as terrible, but then when we're talking about a second holocost, "the words shouldn't be taken literally" :pac:

Religion isn't the problem here, people are. Religion is just used as a front to make hatred ok. If religion didn't exist, I would imagine their views would be the same.

I never understood why sexuality can draw such a vile reaction from certain types of people (usually under the pretence of religion). These types of people I could safely wager would be quite racist (having spent much time in America and knowing the exact type of middle America, bible belt Christian extremists, their views seldom differ) but at least they have a small enough amount of intelligence to fathom that it is wrong and hide that fact unless they feel it safe enough around like minded people, but why are the gays such easy targets? :D I really do find it funny. If you didn't have a sense of humour about it and pitty them and their sheltered lives and lack of social awareness and education, it would just drive you crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I would imagine that it does a great disservice to religion to hide your biggoted views behind a religion, or worse yet, to use religion to justify biggoted views.

You can hardly say that it does a disservice to Christianity to hold views which are in accordance with the bible? Or to Islam with the Koran? These texts are not divine revelations, they are man-made texts which reflect the norms of the societies of their time.
    Religion isn't the problem here, people are. Religion is just used as a front to make hatred ok. If religion didn't exist, I would imagine their views would be the same.

You are presuming here that religion has some sort of 'true' or 'pure' form uncorrupted by man. Religion was created by the minds of man.
    why are the gays such easy targets?

Tolerant people who are secure in their own sexuality do not have any problem with the sexuality of others. If one can get a 'holy book' to reinforce one's own prejudices and insecurities it legitimises them in the minds of many people, sadly.

Life ain't always empty.

Interesting news coming out of Germany that scientists are thinking about cloning a neanderthal to be birthed by a human woman.

It would be the first neanderthal alive in 30,000 years. Poses a number of questions.
    • What are the ethics of creating a child that will be the only one of its species on earth?
    • Will there be undue pressure on this child to "breed" with humans?
    • Will the law have to be rewritten to include this child as he is technically not "human"/homo sapien? (Much anthropological debate about this).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Interesting news coming out of Germany that scientists are thinking about cloning a neanderthal to be birthed by a human woman.

It would be the first neanderthal alive in 30,000 years. Poses a number of questions.
    • What are the ethics of creating a child that will be the only one of its species on earth?
    • Will the law have to be rewritten to include this child as he is technically not "human"/homo sapien? (Much anthropological debate about this).

Sweet!

Also, some of these questions were imminent anyway. With the rise of our robotic overlords and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

Wow, that's amazing, but it certainly would face strong opposition and as you list, would raise some real ethical issues also.

Are there any real benefits to bringing a neanderthal back into the world? Anything worthwhile we could learn from it that would justify the potential pitfalls such an experiment could bring?

Are there any real benefits to bringing a neanderthal back into the world? Anything worthwhile we could learn from it that would justify the potential pitfalls such an experiment could bring?
    I think their interest lies in comparing neanderthal V homo sapien intelligence and general similarities. Understanding neanderthal psychology and DNA structure could be beneficial to humans as, due to cross-breeding, we all have a little neanderthal in us (insert joke here). I think there's also an element of "why not".

I feel uneasy about it, yet fascinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Wow, that's amazing, but it certainly would face strong opposition and as you list, would raise some real ethical issues also.

As long as they don't treat it like a caged animal I don't see the harm. Treat it like a human. Time will tell how it adapts. I have no idea what the mental capacity is of a Neandertal but we already make considerations for that in our society with people who have mental disabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Who would be its legal guardian and what if it survives birth but then lives a life of suffering can we ethically euthanise in such a situation? What would their immune system be like if they have never built up a tolerance to current viruses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gbear wrote: »
    As long as they don't treat it like a caged animal I don't see the harm. Treat it like a human. Time will tell how it adapts. I have no idea what the mental capacity is of a Neandertal but we already make considerations for that in our society with people who have mental disabilities.

As Wibbs said today in an unrelated Neanderthal themed thread, your average female Neanderthal was stronger than the current male world champion arm wrestler. So you might eventually be dealing with the equivelent of a mentally disabled man with the strength of 5 men.

Advertisement