Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Here's a flight nobody will ever make:

Reminds me of this:

although it's a little disappointing they just show the atomic nucleus as a featureless black sphere...

Life ain't always empty.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sciencetoday/2013/0110/1224328624226.html
    Journey to the afterlife is a scientific dead end

PAUL O'DONOGHUE

OPINION: An American doctor's revelations about life after death do not stand up to scientific scrutiny

Among the gifts I received this festive season was a tongue-in-cheek present, a copy of the current number one New York Times paperback nonfiction best-seller, Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife by Eben Alexander. What a revelation it turned out to be. ...

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It'll still be referenced by religious people for years to come. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

ninja900 wrote: »
    Reminds me of this:

although it's a little disappointing they just show the atomic nucleus as a featureless black sphere...

Also

http://www.scaleofuniverse.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A little bit close to solving a #firstworldproblem, but what a deliciously thoughtful idea all the same:

http://www.goodnightlamp.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

A little bit close to solving a #firstworldproblem, but what a deliciously thoughtful idea all the same:

http://www.goodnightlamp.com/
    That's adorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »

The Pharaoh's Snake thing looks like some Lovecraftian nightmare emerging from the ether.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

It's pretty creepy alright. I love reactions like that. Irony being, I was awful at Chemistry. It just did not compute.

Wikipedia wrote:
    This property was discovered soon after the first synthesis of mercury thiocyanate by Wöhler in 1821: "winding out from itself at the same time worm-like processes, to many times its former bulk, a very light material the color of graphite...". For some time, a firework product called "Pharaoschlangen" was available to the public in Germany, but was eventually banned when the toxic properties of the product were discovered through the death of several children mistakenly eating the resulting solid.

:eek:

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Largest Structure in Universe Discovered.
    Astronomers have discovered the largest known structure in the universe, a clump of active galactic cores that stretches 4 billion light-years from end to end.

The structure is a large quasar group (LQG), a collection of extremely luminous galactic nuclei powered by supermassive central black holes. This particular group is so large that it challenges modern cosmological theory, researchers said.

"While it is difficult to fathom the scale of this LQG, we can say quite definitely it is the largest structure ever seen in the entire universe," lead author Roger Clowes, of the University of Central Lancashire in England, said in a statement. "This is hugely exciting, not least because it runs counter to our current understanding of the scale of the universe."

When I try to fathom these massive distances, my brain just quits on me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Structure indicates design.:pac:
    I'll get me coat.

It's fine-tuned.
    Therefore this god here (points to holybook)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I've been looking for the film Marjoe for a while now, and, while I still haven't been able to find it, I did find an interview with the central character, Marjoe Gortner.

If you're not familiar with the film, it's a documentary about the life of Gortner, who was preaching in the Bible Belt at the age of 4 ('the youngest ordained minister in history').

Here's the interview: short, but interesting.

http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/marjoe.htm

pauldla wrote: »
    I've been looking for the film Marjoe for a while now [...]
    This one looks like the full doc - worth watching.

Thanks robin...alas, no youtube in this neck of the woods....

Thanks robin...alas, no youtube in this neck of the woods....
    You could try a youtube downloader which turns a youtube url into an AVI file.

Alternatively, it may be available via a premium usenet news provider.

You could try a youtube downloader which turns a youtube url into an AVI file.

Alternatively, it may be available via a premium usenet news provider.

I think the only way I'm going to get around the Great Firewall is if I fork out for a VPN, which I'm probably not going to do as my connection here is slow enough at the best of times. Still, thanks for your efforts!

I think the only way I'm going to get around the Great Firewall is if I fork out for a VPN, which I'm probably not going to do as my connection here is slow enough at the best of times. Still, thanks for your efforts!

Why not try a free one like Hamachi? (If that's still free.:confused:)

Jernal wrote: »
    Why not try a free one like Hamachi? (If that's still free.:confused:)

I've used free VPNs before, such as Ultrasurf, but they're terribly unreliable, and there's a bit of a catch 22 trying to download them: the URLs are blocked, and searching for them knocks out your connection. In other words, you can't search for them unless you're already outside the firewall. That's some catch, that catch 22...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pretty much the freakiest thing ever...

Been to the John Waters thread lately?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Why are they making Robot Boys instead of Robot Wimmin? Is this a church sponsored project? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Definite example of the "uncanny valley".

ninja900 wrote: »
    Meh, horses are tasty too! I have no emotional problems with scoffing them.

As for those religious groups unwittingly eating piggies?
    You're tainted now you might as well get stuck into a big fry.

They also mentioned that 23 of the 27 burgers tested (that's 85%) contained pig DNA.

I'd like to know if the percentage of sausages containing pig DNA is as high as that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Asked a Hindu friend last night if they would like to share a burger. They could have a third of it.... :pac:

Some people have no sense of humour :cool:

• Advertisement

^^
    But local media suggested the man could have used the penises as an ingredient in herbal wine due to the belief they could help boost male potency.
    I've always has a suspicion about that M&S "Dine in for 2" wine.

Advertisement