Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

Calibos wrote: »
    As Wibbs said today in an unrelated Neanderthal themed thread, your average female Neanderthal was stronger than the current male world champion arm wrestler. So you might eventually be dealing with the equivelent of a mentally disabled man with the strength of 5 men.
    So he'd be what? Half man, half bearpig?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

So you might eventually be dealing with the equivelent of a mentally disabled man with the strength of 5 men.

And we saw how difficult it was to hunt down John Rambo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I don't think there's any indication that a neanderthal would be intrinsically less intelligent than a human. They have similar brain capacity and, if raised in a human family, would probably be quite like human children. Apart from a few physical characteristics.

Though the worry about something going wrong and there being a question of euthanisation would be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Will the law have to be rewritten to include this child as he is technically not "human"/homo sapien? (Much anthropological debate about this).
    My suspicion is that the law would lack the fine detail to make this an issue either way and if challenged, the fact that the child was born of a human mother will likely win out and the child will be legally human.

The DNA/subspecies issue would probably take a backseat because in many regards, the difference between H.S.Sapiens DNA and H.S.Neanderthalensis DNA are slight. Many modern humans have traces of Neanderthal DNA, so while taxonomically they are two distinct species, legally and ethically the lines would be far greyer.
    Though the worry about something going wrong and there being a question of euthanisation would be a good one.
    Indeed, IMO this is probably the most major ethical issue arising from the proposed experiment.

I don't think the "mentally disabled with the strength of 5 men" issue is that clear. There's a difference between mental disability (due to stunted brain development or damage) and low IQ or low intelligence. Low intelligence doesn't necessarily follow that someone lacks self-control, and all indications are that Neanderthal man was highly social.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Interview with the force behind this idea, in Der Spiegel.

Opens up a range of other possibilities. Like, could we bring back more extinct species? Providing we find suitable hosts for them. I guess then you're getting into the shady area of animal abuse because while you could find a human woman willing to consent to this procedure animals will never be able to consent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Providing we find suitable hosts for them.
    Am now wondering if there are other reasons why pig DNA was found in beefburgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Moink Moink !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

So you might eventually be dealing with the equivelent of a mentally disabled man with the strength of 5 men.

Holy crap, Hodor will become real?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fun site here - anti-Catholicism log. http://protectthepope.com/?cat=6

The BBC have appointed Clare Balding, a non religious lesbian, to replace the Christian Aled Jones as the host of its Radio 2 religious programme, Good Morning Sunday. Clare Balding is a vocal supporter of gay marriage, and has expressed her hopes of ‘marrying’ former BBC announcer, Alice Arnold. The BBC made the announcement through the Radio Times:

Oh noes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The BBC have appointed Clare Balding, a non religious lesbian, to replace the Christian Aled Jones as the host of its Radio 2 religious programme, Good Morning Sunday. Clare Balding is a vocal supporter of gay marriage, and has expressed her hopes of ‘marrying’ former BBC announcer, Alice Arnold. The BBC made the announcement through the Radio Times:

Oh noes.
    Why does the pope need a website to protect him? Does god not do that?

Also, has anyone considered that if he wasn't such a nasty cock he might not need protection?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Oh noes.

A non religious lesbian?

Surely you jest ultra paranoid website?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Attabear wrote: »
    A non religious lesbian?

Surely you jest ultra paranoid website?

There are some very religious lesbians..in Ireland many of them are Catholics....You can usually tell when one is talking to me by the gobsmacked expression on my face.

MrPudding wrote: »

He does. With a website.

Sheesh!

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    There are some very religious lesbians..in Ireland many of them are Catholics....You can usually tell when one is talking to me by the gobsmacked expression on my face.

(Gobsmacked expression)

But....but....how do they know what to think about gay marriage?

He does. With a website.

Sheesh!

It takes intelligence to design a web site...therefore it is the product of Intelligent Design... QED.

I cudda been a Jesuit if it wasn't for my vagina :mad: (my utter lack of belief/faith may also be an issue...)

(Gobsmacked expression)

But....but....how do they know what to think about gay marriage?

Easy Peasy - it's all about the inheritance rights and tax breaks - they are Irish Catholics after all.

I cudda been a Jesuit if it wasn't for my vagina :mad: (my utter lack of belief/faith may also be an issue...)

It was the vagina. The rest has never been an issue.

It was the vagina. The rest has never been an issue.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

MrPudding wrote: »
    Reminds me of this: :D

043-Nothing-says-I-trust-God-more-than-3-inches-of-bulletproof-glass-catholicism-the-pope-faith.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

It takes intelligence to design a web site...therefore it is the product of Intelligent Design... QED.

I don't know if that's true. There was certainly no intelligence involved when I made a website for a college project. Just a lot of copy and pasting.

• Advertisement

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    I don't know if that's true. There was certainly no intelligence involved when I made a website for a college project. Just a lot of copy and pasting.

I feel in in my heart so it is true.

Edit - even if the evidence of mine own eyes told me otherwise said she having remembered son's 'design a website' High School project in Oz....

Sierra 117 wrote: »

Perhaps that's how our universe was constructed, copied and pasted from other universes for some sort of existential diploma.

If so, someone needs to reference their work.

Perhaps that's how our universe was constructed, copied and pasted from other universes for some sort of existential diploma.

If so, someone needs to reference their work.

Ermahgerd - those arn't foothills, those are footnotes....:eek:

*Mind blown*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just posting this here in case it may interest a few of yez.
    Starting next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Dades wrote: »
    Reminds me of this: :D

043-Nothing-says-I-trust-God-more-than-3-inches-of-bulletproof-glass-catholicism-the-pope-faith.jpg

It's made of regular old glass, but 'faith' makes it bulletproof.
    Checkmate Atheists.

184780_10151381913390155_1848344832_n.jpg

Science: preparing for the zombie apocalypse, one stool at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

FYI, today on Moncrieff (Newstalk, now):
    ..science looks at the paranormal; the death of Dear Abbey; and Howard Goodall on the story of music #moncrieff

Dunno what time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I love the Moncrieff show, but I was more interested in the guy claiming the FBI were fanning the war on terror. I expected Alex Jones-scale insanity, but instead the guy seemed very reasonable.

For those of us of a certain age, the names of Gerrit van Geldren and Éamon de Buitléar were synonymous with the nature programs on RTE during the 1970's - Amuigh Faoin Spéir and later on, To the Waters and the Wild. Gerrit died in 1994 and Éamon died yesterday.

http://irishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/Gerrit_van_Gelderen_(1926-1994)
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0128/breaking1.html
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0128/breaking24.html

I'm sure some of their various programs are up on youtube in bits and pieces, but I'd be thrilled to learn that somebody was selling boxed sets. They really did make wonderful viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd forgotten Gerrit van Gelderen used to write for Our Boys - yes the Christian Brothers in between terrorising generations of kids, found time to produce a comic...

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement