Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

Jernal wrote: »
    Pfft... I'll see your fancy bottle and raise you a Gömböc.:)

I've wanted one ever since I first stumbled across them. Can they be bought for a reasonable price? Time to go and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,942 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It appears that the shell shape of some turtles (which have limbs too short to be much help in righting themselves) is close to a gomboc. Don't tell the intelligent design folks :pac:

(Isn't wikipedia great, I'd never head of that half an hour ago and now I can post about it as if I know something ;) )

Life ain't always empty.

gvn wrote: »
    I've wanted one ever since I first stumbled across them. Can they be bought for a reasonable price? Time to go and find out.

You need to think of your neighbours, a gomboc can be quite noisy especially during mating season.

You need to have plenty of space for them to exercise, and enclosed with strong wire mesh to prevent their escape.

It's generally thought best to keep only either convex gombocs or concave gombocs, unless you want lots of tiny little gombocs, and bloody fights between the convex gombocs to establish superiority.

Good luck with your exotic pet :)

Life ain't always empty.

Meine eine Kleine.. bottle.. is on its way!

232814.JPG

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The drink [non-alcoholic] of champions.

232923.JPG

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

gvn wrote: »
    It looks like from €149 up to pretty much whatever you want...

http://www.gomboc-shop.com/app/urwfilter/main/do/index.html

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

My addition (stemming from Mr. Pudding's post)

232933.jpg

It's my tippe top. For anyone who doesn't know them, you spin it and using some crazy physics it turns over onto it's handle. You can see a demo on it's wiki page but be warned it's not a cool metallic one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

WTF is it with you guys and having so many tabs open??:confused::eek:

They are temporary bookmarks. I need them all until chrome crashes and I find I didn't actually need them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Take the pain away...
    img20121217182113.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Take the pain away...
    img20121217182113.jpg

A&A = Home of the manicured nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Bannasidhe wrote: »

More like;

32056150.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I actually bite my nails.
    I've been trying to stop.

That said, the name of my ArmA2 group is Gael Lords, so maybe me and the guys should go get looked after...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Looks like this old favourite will need to be updated. Slightly. Christians weigh in at 32%, islamics at 23% and unaffiliated at a world-record high of 16%:

233230.png

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1218/breaking36.html
    Christians are by far the most numerous among people who claim a religious identity, according to a international study.

The Pew Research Centre’s 'Forum on Religion & Public Life', conducted in 250 countries during 2010, found that there were 2.2 billion Christians in the world, some 32 per cent of its population. Based on analysis of more than 2,500 censuses, surveys and population registers in 230 countries, the study found that the next such largest grouping were Muslims at 1.6 billion (23 per cent).

They are followed by the 1.1 billion worldwide, or 16 per cent, who have no religious affiliation and are about equal in size to the world’s Catholic population. Next to these are the one billion Hindus (15 per cent), almost 500 million Buddhists (7 per cent) and 14 million Jews (0.2 per cent).

A further 400 million people (6 per cent) practice various folk or traditional religions, including African traditional religions, Chinese folk religions, Native American religions and Australian aboriginal religion An estimated 58 million people, slightly less than one per cent of the world’s population, belong to other religions, including the Baha’i faith, Jainism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Taoism, Tenrikyo, Wicca and Zoroastrianism.

More than eight-in-10 people worldwide identify with a religious group, according to the study. It estimates that there are 5.8 billion religiously affiliated adults and children around the world, representing 84 per cent of the 2010 world population of 6.9 billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I wasn't sure where would be the most suitable place for this but the Westboro Baptist Church made it onto Irish radio.... :eek:

Excerpts from interview: http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/audio-did-you-hear-what-the-westboro-baptist-church-called-irish-people-last-night-shocking-stuff-0031838-1

The entire interview(Starts at around 3.30 mark) : http://classichits.ie/niall-boylan-at-night-17-12-2012/

She's a bit mad........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I wasn't sure where would be the most suitable place for this but the Westboro Baptist Church made it onto Irish radio.... :eek:

Excerpts from interview: http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/audio-did-you-hear-what-the-westboro-baptist-church-called-irish-people-last-night-shocking-stuff-0031838-1

The entire interview(Starts at around 3.30 mark) : http://classichits.ie/niall-boylan-at-night-17-12-2012/

As if there could be anything else than some I-moan-a Institute patsy appearing on Matt Cooper, saying that women would fake being suicidal in order to obtain abortions. :mad:

Are we going with "unaffiliated" now? It's better than miscellaneous, sick of being lumped in with the hindus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Looks like this old favourite will need to be updated. Slightly.
    233230.png
    That Pie Chart is waaay out....

recedite wrote: »
    That Pie Chart is waaay out....

Yeah - no way are there that many Smith's fans around.

:pac:

I'll get me coat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

^^

1352457183365.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Proof if ever it was needed that people who possess PhD's can still be ignorant and idiotic on various topics. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Proof if ever it was needed that people who possess PhD's can still be ignorant and idiotic on various topics. :)
    I know someone with two advanced degrees in mathematics who needs help changing the bulb in an outside light fixture. I can do it in under a minute

A load of bollocks tbh.
    My theory is that someone wrote it as a piss-take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

My theory is that someone wrote it as a piss-take
    But sure its only a theory!

Formula One for example - in my world that consists of Vrooom, wheeeerrrrrrrvroom, wheerrrrrrrvroooommvroooom, whe...VERROOOM....! CRASH!!!!! *change channel*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Formula One for example - in my world that consists of Vrooom, wheeeerrrrrrrvroom, wheerrrrrrrvroooommvroooom, whe...VERROOOM....! CRASH!!!!! *change channel*

Blasphemer! :mad:

Who changes the channel at the good part?!

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Who changes the channel at the good part?!

The person who has to attack brother to get the remote so there is a bit of a time delay.

Advertisement