Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

Larianne wrote: »
    Finished for the summer. :D

Bah. A week and a half 'til my first exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ineedaflash

What are the parameters for compensation again, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Get over 30 in the problem subject AND the average result in all exams is over 45 - something like that. In other words ace one or two pet subjects and don't be a complete disaster in the weak one. Thats for a pass by compensation. It may differ between departments.

One down, five to go. I may start studying tomorrow. Or I may get drunk. Or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Having to swot up on topics such as art, philosophy, the necessity of work to the human nature, Middle-Eastern politics and literary theory for one LANGUAGE exam is really bloody difficult. :( (Those are the most common subjects that have come up in the last few years, with a whole load of entirely random curveballs too!)

What's your course? I don't think mine HAS compensation... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Larianne wrote: »
    Finished for the summer. :D
    I started yesterday and I finish on the 23rd. At least then I will be finished "for ever".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

My brains seems to have taken the day off, exam in three hours and I have have forgotten the majority of the course. Today should be fun. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

First exam tomorrow and I've done nothing in the last 4 days. I just can't...auurggghhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Dart deciding not to stop in Sandymount.

The Dart deciding not to stop in Sandymount.
    Was it definitely a Dart and not a commuter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

blubloblu wrote: »
    Did IS Services shut down the @TCDISServices parody twitter account? Poor show.
    http://blogs.tcd.ie/isservices/2012/05/01/is-services-twitter-account-impersonation-account/
    Seems like they can't handle satire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

GSU Email wrote:
    Since the roll of the Presidency will be changing, I urge anyone interested to attend Council and to schedule a consultation with myself or Martin (current VP).

Will the next GSU President be opting for a ham roll rather than cheese roll next year then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Jonathan wrote: »
    Will the next GSU President be opting for a ham roll rather than cheese roll next year then?

If I recall correctly, there was a motion at council when I was in first year to correct the spelling of "roll" to "role" in the constitution. It was voted down.. >_<

Actually, having checked there, it's "The duties specific to the roll of the Communications Officer shall be:.. " yet no description of chicken fillets, butter or mayo.. Disappointing.

Aoibheann wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, there was a motion at council when I was in first year to correct the spelling of "roll" to "role" in the constitution. It was voted down.. >_<

Actually, having checked there, it's "The duties specific to the roll of the Communications Officer shall be:.. " yet no description of chicken fillets, butter or mayo.. Disappointing.
    You weren't lying...
    Constitutional Amendment 10
    In Chapter 3.5.6 the word “roll” should be replaced with “role”.

Reason: This section is meant to outline his job, not his lunch.

This amendment was not passed by the special meeting of council

You weren't lying...

I wasn't! I was trying to find that amendment myself, but laziness won.. Several of us present despaired for humanity that night. Clearly not enough though! :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I wasn't! I was trying to find that amendment myself, but laziness won.. Several of us present despaired for humanity that night. Clearly not enough though! :/

As I told you when I met you after a council meeting last year, I've never seen such a stupid group of intelligent people in my life as I did then.

Someone seems to have disconnected the keyboards of half the Email computers in the Arts block. Tried seven machines in a row that the keyboards don't work (mouse and monitor are fine) :mad: and am now stuck with one that's covered in pastry crumbs and spilled coffee. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

What was the argument for keeping it?

Lawliet wrote: »
    What was the argument for keeping it?

I like how you ask that like you think there was an argument... :P I think people found it amusing, thus voted in favour of keeping it. Hence despair. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RedFFWolf

Someone seems to have disconnected the keyboards of half the Email computers in the Arts block. Tried seven machines in a row that the keyboards don't work (mouse and monitor are fine) :mad: and am now stuck with one that's covered in pastry crumbs and spilled coffee. Yuck.

Yeah I've seen that one (used it earlier in the day too)! As I was leaving the Arts Block out the back way, I saw a group of people around one computer (the same few I see sitting at the leather couches closest to the main computer area regularly - but I'm sure there are many groups that occupy that area as regularly as available anyway), not logged in using it - I can't definitely assume that they were messing about with it in the way you described, but I would bet they were doing something like it at the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Fierce level of procrastination tonight.

• Advertisement

RedFFWolf wrote: »
    Yeah I've seen that one (used it earlier in the day too)! As I was leaving the Arts Block out the back way, I saw a group of people around one computer (the same few I see sitting at the leather couches closest to the main computer area regularly - but I'm sure there are many groups that occupy that area as regularly as available anyway), not logged in using it - I can't definitely assume that they were messing about with it in the way you described, but I would bet they were doing something like it at the least!

There's always a few that don't work, but (at least) seven with the same problem is taking the piss! Another one kept telling me my password or username was incorrect (it wasn't, logged into the pastry-adorned one with the same details), so something's probably been done to that too (changed the keyboard settings to Spanish or French layout, maybe?). Any computer science people on here know how to fix them? I should have reported em to ISS actually :S

Keyboards which are plugged out can be plugged back in if you can get to the back of the computer (or if it's a USB keyboard and there's an appropriate USB port on the front).

Re: language settings: in practice, you may have to mess around trying to find what the keyboard layout is in the textbox you can see if you have some unusual symbols. You should be able to change the language setting once you're logged in, using the control panel (Region and Language in Windows 7). I can't remember how locked down the college PCs are but it should be possible to do that... though I think there should be an option to change the language at login...

Keyboards which are plugged out can be plugged back in if you can get to the back of the computer (or if it's a USB keyboard and there's an appropriate USB port on the front).

I couldn't find any unconnected cables! :o Seemed to be tied up at the back somewhere unreachable. Either that or all the keyboards are just broken... But there was nothing plugged in above the mouse where the keyboard normally goes in... (Now I look like a technologically illiterate eejit don't I? But someone else has seen it too ^^ :P)
    Re: language settings: in practice, you may have to mess around trying to find what the keyboard layout is in the textbox you can see if you have some unusual symbols. You should be able to change the language setting once you're logged in, using the control panel (Region and Language in Windows 7). I can't remember how locked down the college PCs are but it should be possible to do that... though I think there should be an option to change the language at login...

I didn't think you could do it without logging in. Might try that tomorrow. Or just email ISS and tell them to fix it...

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Change keyboard language by pressing Shift-Alt.

Really just couldn't be fucked with these exams if I'm honest., but then again, no plans for summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

As someone who has graduated, worked as a postgrad for a few years and is back doing exams: exams are easy. Nowhere near as much stress as having a supervisor!

As someone who has graduated, worked as a postgrad for a few years and is back doing exams: exams are easy. Nowhere near as much stress as having a supervisor!
    Well done, everyone hates you.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Well done, everyone hates you.

My work here is done.

Library lending offline today, and probably tomorrow. Told this after making the commute in to get some books out. No word about the outage anywhere. Another excuse to stress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Library lending offline today, and probably tomorrow. Told this after making the commute in to get some books out. No word about the outage anywhere. Another excuse to stress

In fairness, it must have been sudden. They were lending when I went up at like 5 past 11 this morning, but not when I wanted to swap an old book..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement