Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Unshelved wrote: »
    Did you lose your USB memory stick in the Library? Try at the Duty Librarian's desk if so.
    No it was in the computer rooms (left it in one of the computers). Its not in that computer room anymore, nor was it handed in to the security desk in that building so someone has it but hasn't contacted me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭NeuroCat

Lawliet wrote: »
    So nice of the science course office to make such an effort to inform us all about the Zoology open evening :rolleyes:

I just hope once we specialize the individual departments are bit better at organising things...

Biochemistry certainly is quite organized. I can't speak for any of the other departments though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Devils Bit is revolting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Brian wrote: »
    Devils Bit is revolting.

Cheap though. Is Bavaria the other can deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

So. Much. Work.

Semesterization + Courses built for Trimesters + Final Year (of one subject) = far too much work due the last three weeks of Hilary Term.
    *disappears under an avalanche of paper*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Brian wrote: »
    Devils Bit is revolting.

May contain actual bits of devil.

All the deadlines in the same week. Why?! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

People who use the wrong door in the 4th floor computer room:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

All the deadlines in the same week. Why?! :(
    This :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Supervisor's away until the 16th, which likely means no feedback until May. Arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Why can't all the lecturers of a certain module just put their lectures up on the same website? Some of them are on BTC, some of them are on the micro and others are on the biochem. Seriously just put them all on BTC, I'm sick of checking three websites every time I'm looking for a lecture.

Term essay (that counts towards the degree result) is due next Tuesday. The library is closed from tomorrow until Tuesday :( and I haven't been able to begin research for it yet because we've had another two equally important essays due in the last couple weeks that we basically had to teach ourselves how to do... and as if that wasn't bad enough, the French dept have now announced that for our final oral exam (next week), we have to prepare not one, but two presentations, and they both have to last 5 min, but fit onto one 5 x 3 cue card.

I can't remember the last time I got a full night sleep either. I don't know how I'm gonna get this all done!!!!!!! :mad::(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

1875112575.png
    Wifi in the Hamilton Library of "Ireland's Premier University"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

1875112575.png
    Wifi in the Hamilton Library of "Ireland's Premier University"

Failed to notice that the labs switched their usual latex gloves for nitrile ones. I'm allergic to nitrile >_<

Not a big fan of the "portable" bunsen burners in the BSI. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Lawliet wrote: »
    Failed to notice that the labs switched their usual latex gloves for nitrile ones. I'm allergic to nitrile >_<

o_o I didn't know anyone could have an insensitivity to nitrile...

Kwekubo wrote: »
    o_o I didn't know anyone could have an insensitivity to nitrile...
    Yeah the first time I had a reaction the people over the lab were pretty surprised by it too. Kind of ironic that I'm allergic to gloves that are the solution to latex allergies, but fine with latex itself.

So I worked through the night on a group project on Monday, got my two 2,000 word assignments in on Tuesday. I got my group project finished and presented on Wednesday. I did my exam on Thursday.

But what's that?

Oh yeah, I've still two more 2,000 word assignments and one 4,000 word assignment (which is the assessment for an entire module) due on Tuesday, and the library's going to be closed til then. Great. I'm sure it will get me plenty fired up for the 10 page report I need to have in by Friday, which I was supposed to get done in time to show my supervisor for Monday.

You'd think I left these until the last minute, but I've had two 2,000 word reports due every week, in addition to a timetable which includes a Monday and Tuesday schedule consisting of 10am till 5pm with no break. And I think I've finally become ranty about it.

So I worked through the night on a group project on Monday, got my two 2,000 word assignments in on Tuesday. I got my group project finished and presented on Wednesday. I did my exam on Thursday.

But what's that?

Oh yeah, I've still two more 2,000 word assignments and one 4,000 word assignment (which is the assessment for an entire module) due on Tuesday, and the library's going to be closed til then. Great. I'm sure it will get me plenty fired up for the 10 page report I need to have in by Friday, which I was supposed to get done in time to show my supervisor for Monday.

You'd think I left these until the last minute, but I've had two 2,000 word reports due every week, in addition to a timetable which includes a Monday and Tuesday schedule consisting of 10am till 5pm with no break. And I think I've finally become ranty about it.
    Quite rightly!

I think its ridiculous scheduling assignments to be due in during the weeks off that we're given to study for exams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

But what's that?

I think I just had a nervous breakdown just reading that. What course are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

But what's that?

Has anyone contacted the department to ask for an extension? My department (although I do rant about it from time to time) have been good with giving extensions on assignments if we've been snowed under with work/placements.

But what's that?

You'd think I left these until the last minute, but I've had two 2,000 word reports due every week

I've about the same too :(:mad:
    I even asked a lecturer to move the deadline for Tuesday's one (just by a few days) because we only have 6 days between two essays that count towards the degree (and that we couldn't start earlier because we hadn't covered the course yet) and the library is closed for 4 of them - but no luck :(

It's utterly ridiculous to have assignments due when the library is closed for the four days running up to it, and when we're still in classes on the topics they're set on!

I think the main problem is that they changed the system to semerization without changing the courses - so we're now doing the same amount of work while we're still in classes and doing standard weekly assignments that they used to do in a 3-week Easter holiday. :mad::mad::mad:

The exams are gonna seem like a breeze after this last three weeks!!!

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I think I just had a nervous breakdown just reading that. What course are you doing?
    Botany.
    The problem is that we have to do most of our 4th year thesis during the summer (there's no point in doing field work in December) so we have to have our proposals in at the end of third year. In addition, I have a broad curriculum module that the botany department don't really take into account. The thing is though, I was refused my first BC choice (which was for Michaelmas term) due to a timetable clash, whereas I was given the Hilary term choice which still does clash a lot (hence the no breaks on Mondays and Tuesdays and 4,000 word essay). The lecturers have been as considerate as possible; my Monday and Tuesday labs are in Rathmines and they even moved them forward so that people with BC could make them. But it's still so stressful trying to juggle it all!
    Larianne wrote: »
    Has anyone contacted the department to ask for an extension? My department (although I do rant about it from time to time) have been good with giving extensions on assignments if we've been snowed under with work/placements.
    Our 10 page project proposal was due for Tuesday; it's already been extended to Friday.

To top it all off, I bumped into a friend of mine from UCD a couple days ago, and when I said I was really busy he asked what course I did. I said botany and he laughed at me and said neuroscience (which he does) is much harder and that botany is a doss! I don't know what the botany in UCD is like but I wish that when I say I'm finding it difficult people would assume the course is hard rather than assuming I'm stupid!

Ok I really am finished ranting now.

To top it all off, I bumped into a friend of mine from UCD a couple days ago, and when I said I was really busy he asked what course I did. I said botany and he laughed at me and said neuroscience (which he does) is much harder and that botany is a doss! I don't know what the botany in UCD is like but I wish that when I say I'm finding it difficult people would assume the course is hard rather than assuming I'm stupid!

Ok I really am finished ranting now.

I think the general perception of Botany as an easy course which no one wants is mainly because plant sciences (in my humble opinion) are very poorly taught in first year science. We take a photosynthesis module this year as part of biochemistry and it is genuinely quite interesting and rather difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,207 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

All printers out of toner/paper on campus.:mad:

Been working on the same essay since 8:30am this morning (and all day yesterday, plus several hours on Thurs and Fri) and STILL NOT DONE. So unbelieveably bored :(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Warrior011

Car insurance due for renewal - nuff said :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Have to get up at 5:45am. All to hand in one lab report which won't be accepted outside of 10-10:15am tomorrow morning. Would have been so much better to just leave a box in the office for us to drop them into during the week :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement