Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are girls sometime "scared" of foreigners?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

You have bitchy, snobbish girls everywhere, but they don't travel to live abroad. I know spanish girls who are that way and who would never be with a foreigner, but in this case we are talking about how pple are no where pple are from.

Regarding the eastern guy, u have to agree with me that u have ugly girls there as well (k'mon i know pple from there as also) and u can find fine irish girls here.

If we tend to generalize that way then allow me to go to a bull run and after that i have flamenco party. cope on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

In none of my previous posts did I mention the word sleazy.

I'd be interested to know how many of your girl friends in the country you are from are going out with foreign guys?

It is obvious from posts, that the men responding to this thread are only looking to b1tch and moan and not actually looking for explainations or help on this matter so I will not be participating in this thread further.

Best of luck,
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Raekwon wrote:
    But how do you know that they were just 'friendly' gestures from OP?

Because unless told to the contrary, we kinda have to take the OP at face value do we not? Tunnel vision is jumping (in typical Oirish fashion) to the conclusion that he just wants a lay.

Perhaps I am old fashioned- I hold doors for people, light cigarettes, start conversations, order on peoples behalves when at the bar etc and expect reciprocal courtesy, not a lay. My tunnel vision, if you like, stems from an abhorrent lack of simple courtesy that Irish people have forgotton to extend to eachother. You see it everywhere shops, roads, cafés etc ad nauseum.

You have still failed to answer my query that why is it when similar mannerisms are extended to "other nationalities" they are generally met with warmth rather than blank expressions or contempt?

b3t4, is that looking for explanation enough for you?

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Kell wrote:
    Because unless told to the contrary, we kinda have to take the OP at face value do we not? Tunnel vision is jumping (in typical Oirish fashion) to the conclusion that he just wants a lay.

Well he is hardly going to start the thread 'How to get laid in Dublin' now is he? He is being very subtle about it but if you read between the lines he has already mentioned in a joking manner that he just wanted to make polite conversation with the girl whose cigarette he lit but he wasn't looking at her boobs! (Haha?) :eyesroll: Come on!
    Kell wrote:
    My tunnel vision, if you like, stems from an abhorrent lack of simple courtesy that Irish people have forgotton to extend to eachother. You see it everywhere shops, roads, cafés etc ad nauseum.

Yes you have MAJOR tunnel vision IMO! Plus I cannot believe that nobody has pulled you up on the ridiculous comments that you made about Irish women. So OP has a problem with the attitude of some Irish women that does not give you the right to inform everyone about your deep seeded loathing for them. Saying that 95% of them 'have there heads up their arse' was a very unfair judgement, and just highlighted your contempt and bias on this thread.

Also, IMO, Irish people are still one the most courteous races that you will meet, I don't know where you are from but where I live totally strangers greet me every morning walking down the street and there is always friendly banter on the train or in a news agents.
    Kell wrote:
    You have still failed to answer my query that why is it when similar mannerisms are extended to "other nationalities" they are generally met with warmth rather than blank expressions or contempt?

Based on what??? I have an Eastern European girlfriend and we meet up with her friends every now again for a house party or a few pints in the local boozer etc. and I think that they are very much like Irish people in their mannerisms and outlook on life but lack the charm that us Irish are blessed with. To totally slate Irish people and say that 'other nationalities' are much warmer and friendlier is utter nonsense. You are taking this from you own tainted point of view and you are losing the whole point of the thread. OP is out to pull an Irish girl and is having abit of trouble, that's it, plain and simple, he can sugar coat it as much as he wants but in the cold light of day that is all this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

Raekwon wrote:
    OP is out to pull an Irish girl and is having abit of trouble, that's it, plain and simple, he can sugar coat it as much as he wants but in the cold light of day that is all this thread is about.

I'm so pissed off by your attitude! do you really think that you are so smart? get over yourself!
    You don't know me and you are sure I just want to shag someone, how do you dare to say that i'm subtle?
    You are just the existing proof that I was right about these stupid prejudices, you think that everything a foreigner does is nasty or subtle, in your opinion it is absolutely not possible that I jsut want to have friends! you should seriosuly open your mind man!

• Advertisement

Then what is your thread about is it not? Why don't you want to make friends with Irish guys? You are focused on girls, you obviously want the pull, I am not blaming you at all, it is very normal. Just don't try and sugar coat it and pull the wool over people’s eyes. You just want a girl as a 'friend'? that’s all? no stings attached? Hmmm, subtle indeed. :cool:

So the whole world revolves around you does it? I like foreign people, I have lots of foreign friends and I always have had, I am going out with a foreign girl for god sake!!!!!!!!! So your estimation of me is way off fella.

The fact that you are pissed gives me a clear indication that I am right about you. Why don't you get over yourself and get a life romeo! ;)

Raekwon wrote:
    Then what is your thread about is it not? Why don't you want to make friends with Irish guys? You are focused on girls, you obviously want the pull, I am not blaming you at all, it is very normal. Just don't try and sugar coat it and pull the wool over people’s eyes. You just want a girl as a 'friend'? that’s all? no stings attached? Hmmm, subtle indeed. :cool:

So the whole world revolves around you does it? I like foreign people, I have lots of foreign friends and I always have had, I am going out with a foreign girl for god sake!!!!!!!!! So your estimation of me is way off fella.

The fact that you are pissed gives me a clear indication that I am right about you. Why don't you get over yourself and get a life romeo! ;)

If you read my thread you'll see that I was talking also about Irish people in general and a sort of embarassment when we become close. Maybe you just want to see what u want to see, so get yourself a life Mr. Einstein!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

and yet your thread was called "are girls sometime "scared" of foreigners?"

Raekwon wrote:
    To totally slate Irish people and say that 'other nationalities' are much warmer and friendlier is utter nonsense.

Erm......... where have you been for the last couple of years where just about every paper constantly wonders where the "land of a thousand welcomes has disappeared to"? Where spiralling street crime and anti-social behaviour is on the up. Where... need I go on?

Oh thats right. You're from Utopia, where everyone extends a warm welcome to you on the street ;)

K-

Blackpitts wrote:
    If you read my thread you'll see that I was talking also about Irish people in general

So you are talking about male and female??? But your thread is titled: 'are GIRLS sometimes "scared" of foreigners?

And contains these quotes:
    Blackpitts wrote:
    I dated some girls, i had also a relationship with an irish girl so I have definitely no problems in making friends or just have a laugh with new people. Nevertheless I feel hard to become friends with irish, girls especially. When I talk about "friends" I mean people to go out with (not "one-night-stand"). I personally reckon that Irish people is really friendly at the first approach but at some point it is like there is a sort of embarassment and they don't call u or they dont let u become a part of their group.
    Especially girls are like "scared" of foreigners, they just think u want to shag them, they are always running away even if you try a very nice and soft approach...
    That last bit was subtle ;)
    Blackpitts wrote:
    I have also asked to my female colleagues how to approach the girls here (I had an irish gf myself), and I've heard never a strange answers, the approach is not so different at the end. I was told to go to them and buy a pint or just wait for the right moment to say "hello" or to introduce myself to a friend of a friend in a kind way....so that's what i do, is there anything wrong in that?
    Blackpitts wrote:
    yes but a "thanks, i'm fine!" and a quick chat for the time of a cigarette was not a bad idea, i was not talking to her boobs :)

........so this is not about wanting to meet Irish girls?

I read all your posts on this thread and they all point to the one thing, you don't have to be Einstein to realize that ;) Oh and I have a life thank you very much :D

• Advertisement

Kell wrote:
    Oh thats right. You're from Utopia, where everyone extends a warm welcome to you on the street ;)

.....yeah and people like you are really giving a bad name to our lovely Utopia ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Raekwon wrote:
    .....yeah and people like you are really giving a bad name to our lovely Utopia ;)

As a foreigner myself, i woud actually say its people like you who are ruining thebutopia. Your coming across as aggressive to anyone who says anything against the land of a thousand welcomes.
    puts me in mind of the shut up or we will burn you out brigade. :)

You are actually exemplifying the OP point

As a foreigner myself, i woud actually say its people like you who are ruining thebutopia

It's called sarcasm Mr. Sensitive, so stop whinging. Maybe if you read why I was replying to Kell's post then you would get it.

Raekwon wrote:
    So you are talking about male and female??? But your thread is titled: 'are GIRLS sometimes "scared" of foreigners?

And contains these quotes:

That last bit was subtle ;)

........so this is not about wanting to meet Irish girls?

I read all your posts on this thread and they all point to the one thing, you don't have to be Einstein to realize that ;) Oh and I have a life thank you very much :D

it's easy to extract only some bits of my threads to prove you are right, but u didn't report anything about myself talking about people in general or colleagues. I was mentioning girls because few of them are a little bit rude and aggressive in their responses sometimes (more then men), but you just want to consider my attitude like a sexual frustration. I don't want to answer to you again, we are going off topic and you are being very offensive. I point out that to judge someone by their intentions can be very wrong.

Blackpitts wrote:
    I don't want to answer to you again, we are going off topic.

Your topic is 'are Irish girls scared of foreign men'? And you have put some of your experience on here for people to see and air their opinions. What's the problem? Are you upset that people have a different opinion then you or are you just upset that people here are not agreeing with you and saying that Irish women are the problem and not you.

About me being offensive, I think you have been pretty aggressive and I would wonder, since I don't know you of course, it this what you are like while trying to make friends with women?

Plus just looking through the other threads that you have started sort of paints a better picture of the person that you are ;)

are girls sometime "scared" of foreigners?
    Blackpitts
    15:18 19-Aug-06
    dunno if it is the best place to write this thread as it is not really a big issue, but sometimes I feel like it is a personal...

Speed dating ireland?
    Blackpitts
    19:05 23-Nov-05
    hi guys, a friend of mine got a ticket for the next event of speed dating in january in dublin, what 's that? any comment?...

making friends on line
    Blackpitts
    12:45 20-Nov-05
    howdy guys, what's your favourite "tool" to find new friends on line?1) chat (mIrc, icq, others) :v: 2) websites...

Breaking-ice tricks…
    Blackpitts
    17:00 18-Oct-05
    Hi people As you know he hardest part in approaching a girl is breaking the ice really, also the best looking man sometime...

Girls please...be honest!
    Blackpitts
    15:56 29-Aug-05
    hey girls, if I go throu your posts, I see that you fall in love only with funny-sweet-masculine-sincere-quite good looking...

what about the Italians...
    Blackpitts
    09:50 26-Aug-05
    ...my friend is dating an Italian guy, she says that he is nice, funny and a really sweet and good lover...but aren't they up...

Raekwon wrote:
    It's called sarcasm Mr. Sensitive, so stop whinging. Maybe if you read why I was replying to Kell's post then you would get it.

LOL whinging. :D

There is definitely a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

You whine and verbally attack anyone with a different view... the posts of an ignorant fool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

actually, i think most of the verbal attacks are on blackpitts side.

this thread is going around in circles. what more is to be gained by keeping it open?

You whine and verbally attack anyone with a different view... the posts of an ignorant fool

Okay, I am a fool you say? On what basis? The OP wants to pick up Irish women, but denies this fact. I pull him up on it. What's the big deal? Kell lets loose with some verbal diarrhea about Irish people, I voice my opinion on it? So? What have you contributed to this thread? Anything constructive?? Anything to do with the thread infact??? No you just moan about how 'people like me' are ruining your life in Ireland and in doing so categorise me as some xenophobic even though I have stated twice that I have a foreign girlfriend and many foreign friends. Btw, the only verbal attack is coming from you.

Do you feel like a fool? ;)

actually, i think most of the verbal attacks are on blackpitts side.

I agree, I think my finally point to Blackpitts 'closed the case' if you will :)
    this thread is going around in circles. what more is to be gained by keeping it open?

Again agreed (marksuttonie, this is aimed at you)

Raekwon wrote:
    Again agreed (marksuttonie, this is aimed at you)
    *sigh* Well i was going to let your last but one post aimed at me go unanswered. But the last comment typifies your style of post here.
    You have been aiming at various posters throughout this thread. It has been OT for a while and you have not actually contributed anything to it of overall significance.
    You have answered questions with questions or by your own admission with sarcastic comments.
    It is assumed that the OP is posting a genuine statement and you have gone out of your way to troll through all his previous posts to prove what you belive he is really saying.
    You have accused other posters of posting Diarrhoea and others of whinging.
    That says more of your thought processes than theirs.
    You have been insulting to other posters then acted surprised when they ask why you are aggressive.
    Your posts could very easlily be construed as bullying posts in both their tone and attitude.
    Have i contributed anything to this thread?, I did earlier.. Further I post to many threads and do not get fixated to any single thread overall. Have you?
    Xenophobic, i am not sure. Bullying, the tone and style suggests so
    Do i feel a fool..no it would be hard to do that while you are in this thread.

I will not be posting to this thread again but now I imagine you will want the last word if only to soothe your ego.
    regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Blackpitts, in response to your question re: Irish women being afraid of foreigners, the answer in my opinion is I don't know, and maybe you could roll with this answer, maybe some Irish women are afraid of foreigners, and maybe some are not, as for myself I don't generally have a problem with foreign men, I am leery of over the top romantic talk, but judging from the examples you gave, you were just being friendly. I cannot speak on behalf of how Irish women are towards men because I don't know but I have quite a few foreign friends (Lithuania, Poland, Austria etc) and I found some of the postings sad where people stated it was too much hassle to be friends with a foreign person cos they'll head off after a period of time, personally I love meeting people of differing cultures, I like to hear of their culture, foods etc, but not everyone is like that, so the only advice I can give is just be totally yourself, don't change the way you are unless you personally want to change, don't try to be something or someone your not, becaus you'll lose a part of yourself, I say this because people have adviced you to be more like those around you/Irish people, personally I'm not sure that is good, you and your approach to finding friends or a lover (and personally what is wrong with flirting or trying to meet someone romantically on a night out it is fun, so don't mind those who think otherwise) is your way, but can you accept that your approach and your way may not be accepted by others, and if you are treated by bad manners, as you have been (there is a lot of incivility in this country at the moment) then you are lucky you did not get close to those people, so again be yourself, I have just returned from Italy, from my observations you come from a nation of good looking, warm people, who in ways are somewhat like the Irish. I should finally add that two of my friends from Eastern europe have observed that in the last year or so they have felt a coldness towards them because of their nationality and the town that I live in racial tensions are rising and there have been fights with locals picking on eastern nationals. I guess to wrap up is that some people are going to be ignorant and some people are friendly, it may be higher here in Ireland because for many many years this country was not used to people moving in here, and now we are having to change radically, in some ways a lot of us are predominatly clanish.

McGinty wrote:
    Blackpitts, in response to your question re: Irish women being afraid of foreigners, the answer in my opinion is I don't know, and maybe you could roll with this answer, maybe some Irish women are afraid of foreigners, and maybe some are not.

thank you for your kind answer,and i agree with you, the thruth is in the middle (as always).
    it was just a little bit disappointing to see that a prejudice can stop the communication, Irish and people from other countries have so many things to get and to give to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Kell wrote:
    Erm......... where have you been for the last couple of years where just about every paper constantly wonders where the "land of a thousand welcomes has disappeared to"? Where spiralling street crime and anti-social behaviour is on the up. Where... need I go on?

K-

Your response about 95% of irish women is just pathetic.

Your comments above are ridiculous too. What age are you? (I say this because you must have a quite a few years put away to have been able to decern such a deterioration in ireland, or has it gone to the dogs just recently?)

Have a look at
    http://www.failteireland.ie/cms/download.asp?id=902
    and see if your comments regarding the disappearance of the 'irish of the welcomes' is accurate.

Where do your musings about "spiralling street crime and anti-social behaviour is on the up" stem from?
    What figures can you present to back this up.
    Has the population increased significantly in ireland, and areas of high density population increased with it?

It seems to me Ireland has maintained a pretty good reputation for itself, and it must be said we've been remarkably resilient and welcoming to the 100's of thousands of recent immigrants. If you were to compare Ireland to other countries with sudden influxes of foreigners I'd say you'd be amazed at how well we fair. Racisism and intolerance are reasonably scarce. Relatively of course.

Back to your comments on irish women, I don't even know where to start with that. It's sad that when you walk around the streets of Ireland you have such negative feelings towards half the people you pass.

Of course I'm guessing irish women have to prove themselves to you that they're in your 5percentile group. Do you give them a test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

chump wrote:
    Of course I'm guessing irish women have to prove themselves to you that they're in your 5percentile group. Do you give them a test?

Man...or woman? He's entitled to look for that 5% if he wants to, if you don't like it that's fine, and frankly I'm inclined to agree with Kell. If you don't like what he's saying just change the channel :rolleyes:

chump wrote:
    Your response about 95% of irish women is just pathetic.

I always find it extraordinary how people only take what they want to from posts and NOT what is written. Read what I wrote again (perhaps with spectacles this time) and pay attention to the last three words that I have kindly put in bold and itallics so you dont mess up again (as most people have).
    Kell wrote:
    I'll step over Vic's mark and say that 95% of *Irish women I have met

I didnt claim that I had met the entire female population of Ireland.

As for quoting the Bórd Fáilte website and then telling me to cop on?? Does the phrase "ignore what the photographer saw" mean anything to you?? You dont think the state tourist agency is actually publish negative publicity about Ireland in the hope of attracting tourists or are you really that naieve??

I never said I am negative towards people- in fact, quite the opposite. What I have pointed out was that frequent experience has shown negativity returned irrelevant of my intention.

As regards tests, everyone poses tests for eachother. You dont become friends with someone overnight over a drink. You become friends, lovers, partners, whatever through a long process of observing behavioural attributes in a person that mirror/compliment your own. BUT, lots of people arent that selective about the company they choose and thats why PI's is full of folk going "why cant I score, I cant read body language, he sent me five texts last week and now nothing" etc ad nauseum. Thats why people "find themselves" in unworkable relationships as opposed to seeking out a right match.

A dynamic has formed on this thread that marksuttonie alluded to earlier i.e. the lobby that suggests (in a nice way) that Irish people & women are plain unfriendly is quite aggressively shot down by those claiming that Irish peope are friendly. What does that spell out to you *chump or do you live in Utopia along with raekwon and its sugar candy mountain when ye pop your clogs?

K-

*Never more apt a nick

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Raekwon wrote:
    Plus just looking through the other threads that you have started sort of paints a better picture of the person that you are ;)

Raekwon
    That was uncalled for.
    I would like you to read this forums Rules and Charter.
    I also think you've been 'helpful' enough it this thread. :rolleyes:
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Kell wrote:
    I always find it extraordinary how people only take what they want to from posts and NOT what is written. Read what I wrote again (perhaps with spectacles this time) and pay attention to the last three words that I have kindly put in bold and itallics so you dont mess up again (as most people have).
    Kell wrote:
    I'll step over Vic's mark and say that 95% of *Irish women I have met have their heads stuffed up their rear ends. 95% is not 100%, so before slating me, please bear in mind that I have made an allowance for the 5% I have not yet met.

Irish ladies will also probably not be surprised to learn that 98% of the foreign women I have met have stated that they do not like Irish women either and they think that Irish women treat men like shít.

Yes, yes.
    Kell wrote:
    I didnt claim that I had met the entire female population of Ireland.
    You certainly didn't, but you don't have to. Your attitude towards Irish women is formed by past experiences and if it weren't why would you say "they do not like Irish women either"
    Kell wrote:
    As for quoting the Bórd Fáilte website and then telling me to cop on?? Does the phrase "ignore what the photographer saw" mean anything to you?? You dont think the state tourist agency is actually publish negative publicity about Ireland in the hope of attracting tourists or are you really that naieve??
    So you don't believe the figures quoted from their survey. It's a cover-up? On the flip side you seem to swallow up tales of spiralling street crime et cetera, where pray did you receive this wisdom?

Kell wrote:
    As regards tests, everyone poses tests for eachother. You dont become friends with someone overnight over a drink. You become friends, lovers, partners, whatever through a long process of observing behavioural attributes in a person that mirror/compliment your own. BUT, lots of people arent that selective about the company they choose and thats why PI's is full of folk going "why cant I score, I cant read body language, he sent me five texts last week and now nothing" etc ad nauseum. Thats why people "find themselves" in unworkable relationships as opposed to seeking out a right match.
    I'm glad to see you've such a high opinion of yourself and your method of selection, one which in fact has ruled out 95% of irish women (heads stuffed up their rear ends) you've met. I certainly hope you aren't giving advice to these poor posters who bemoan (ad nauseum at that) their inability to strike up a conversation with the fairer sex.

Kell wrote:
    A dynamic has formed on this thread that marksuttonie alluded to earlier i.e. the lobby that suggests (in a nice way [laughable]) that Irish people & women are plain unfriendly is quite aggressively shot down by those claiming that Irish peope are friendly.

And generalisations like these get people far. Let us generalize about Nigerian men, Polish women, American men, Iranian women. Yes.
    Kell wrote:
    What does that spell out to you *chump or do you live in Utopia

I certainly don't. I've met numerous awful irish women. Ones with stinking attitudes, one's who begrudge people too easily, many who are embittered with the male sex, a few who would backstab their mother.
    What percentage you ask? Well I wouldn't find it appropriate to calculate one.
    Kell wrote:
    *Never more apt a nick
    You ever heard of attack the post not the poster? Pathetic

Beruthiel wrote:
    I also think you've been 'helpful' enough it this thread. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, this thread is dead on it's feet anyway.

Au revoir

P.S.: Cheers for deleting my reply to marksutton.co.uk that I made earlier on today ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 foxyloxy

Hi Blackpitts
    Firstly, I haven't read all the responses as I felt at one stage the orignial question was over looked, so excuse me if I repeat whats already been said.

In the last 18 months or so, I've come to know people from different nationalites through work and socialising. Some of these people have since come to be real friends,while others are people I see socially.
    Language can be a barrier. It can be difficult to maintain a converstaion with some people and therefore makes it hard to become friends when your limited in what you can talk about.
    I have one "friend" in particular who embarrasess me when we're out, her attitude is "I have enough friends without trying to make conversation with people who don't understand me". Its harsh and unpleasant, but unfortunaltey it is a reality. And I was more than a bit suprised to see so many responses similar to hers on here!
    Fortunatley, a lot of us work with people from different countries, and over time you become used to adapting your language or explaining when necessary.
    We've met and dated men from other countires and I can tell you I've had the same success and disappointments as we've had with Irish men.
    I know you mention the "sleazy" image. But I don't think ALL women assume that any one who isnt Irish it like that. Lord knows there's more than enough Irish men who fall into that category.
    And I'm sure many men will agree with you that Irish women are stuck up and unaproachable.
    What I'd say to you is this. In every society,in every culture, in every pub and club, there are people who are genuine and friendly, and there are sleazy one night standers/ or girls up their own arse.
    Please don't give up hope. We are a group of women in our early 30's who meet up with a regular crowd week in week out. Genuine friendships are forged. But over time. No more than I would suddenly declare an Irish person my best friend after 2-3 meets. It takes time, trust and patience.
    Hang in there! Some of us are worth getting to know, and those who aren't will make it clear within an hour of meeting us!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm moving this to Humanities as it's just gone into a big fat rant on irish women again :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement